Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2022, 06:43 PM   #201
Edward64
Head Coach

Holy sh*t. I remember the scalping scene in 1883 and this gives me the shivers.

Not the baggage carousel but when off/loading from plane's baggage compartment.

Quote:
Baggage handler, 26, is fatally SCALPED after getting her hair tangled in luggage conveyor while taking luggage off Frontier flight at New Orleans airport

Jermani Thompson, 26, got her hair tangled in a baggage belt while unloading the plane

She was rushed to hospital shortly after the incident on August 30, but she died soon after

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-31-2022 at 06:47 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 06:54 PM   #202
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Damn, how old are you Edward?
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:10 PM   #203
Edward64
Head Coach

39, definitely 39.
Old 08-31-2022, 07:45 PM   #204
PilotMan
Head Coach

That's awful.

I had a morning flight canceled in La Guardia years ago when a guy servicing the plane overnight was involved in a freak accident with the plane and was killed. All the stories I've heard always shake me, because on ground they are all freak accidents.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:35 AM   #205
Edward64
Head Coach

Been checking out Jan-Feb flights to Asia every day or so using Google Flights. So about 3-4 months out.

Some observations FWIW
1) Turkish airlines seems to be consistently lower than others. Their on-line web sign up does NOT work (I've used multiple browsers & PCs). I had to use their app to sign up successfully. Googling told me this has been a problem and they've still not fixed it

2) Qatar and Canada Airlines have come up with better fares but they've not last more than a day. For Qatar, it was like $1,100 and then jumped back up to $1,400+

3) It does seem better to just buy round trip vs 2 one-ways

4) There may be cheaper flights using multiple different carriers, but I'm thinking to just use one carrier (or affiliate) in case flights are late, luggage is lost etc.

5) Delta/SkyTeam sucks for Asia

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-07-2022 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:08 PM   #206
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Been checking out Jan-Feb flights to Asia every day or so using Google Flights. So about 3-4 months out.

Some observations FWIW
1) Turkish airlines seems to be consistently lower than others. Their on-line web sign up does NOT work (I've used multiple browsers & PCs). I had to use their app to sign up successfully. Googling told me this has been a problem and they've still not fixed it

2) Qatar and Canada Airlines have come up with better fares but they've not last more than a day. For Qatar, it was like $1,100 and then jumped back up to $1,400+

3) It does seem better to just buy round trip vs 2 one-ways

4) There may be cheaper flights using multiple different carriers, but I'm thinking to just use one carrier (or affiliate) in case flights are late, luggage is lost etc.

5) Delta/SkyTeam sucks for Asia
That's good to know. My son should be going to Japan for spring semester. I was thinking Delta would be the best bet, but maybe not?
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:20 PM   #207
Edward64
Head Coach

Delta & Skyteam (Korean Air) are not the lower cost airlines to Asia. I did not specifically check for Japan though.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:57 PM   #208
Edward64
Head Coach

Not quite the intent of this thread but related.

As mentioned in the Streaming thread, I've been watching YT videos on Border Security. So far, I've seen a good sampling from Australia, Canada and UK.

Australia seems to focus more on food products & cigarettes (Asian people), cash over 10K, drugs, and Indonesian boats going after shark fin etc.

Canada is food products & cigarettes (Asian students), cash over 10K, and an occasional dumb-ass US citizens who brings in guns or medicinal MJ. Apparently, even if MJ is legal in the US and legal in Canada, you still cannot transport them over the border.

UK shows are different. It's illegal immigrants/workers and false student entries (primarily from India & Pakistan), cigarettes (but not really food products) and drugs.

Don't really know if these are truly representative for Australia, Canada & UK, or just what the producers thought would make for a better show. Probably a combination.

FWIW, the Canadian female border control agents are the best looking. And there is a lot of attempted smuggling of cigarettes (like 20-50k) in travel luggage.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-12-2022 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:52 PM   #209
21C
College Prospect

Australia has always had a big emphasis on biosecurity.

From the earliest time that I have traveled internationally, there was always this big blitz on not bringing in any food or plants. When you first arrived by plane, they would send on a team with "bug spray" to spray up and down the aisles before passengers disembarked. No grass skirts, no wood carvings or anything like that.

If you bring in any pets then they have to quarantine for a couple of weeks. There was that incident with Johnny Depp and Amber Heard when they flew in on a private jet but didn't declare their dogs.

There was also the story of the 1956 Olympics in Melbourne where they had to have the equestrian events in Sweden because Australia had a six month quarantine period for horses.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:36 AM   #210
GrantDawg

Quote:
Delta & Skyteam (Korean Air) are not the lower cost airlines to Asia. I did not specifically check for Japan though.
Made me look, and they are not to Japan either. Air Canada has the best rates by far, and that's with only one stop (Toronto) if you fly into Tokyo. He most probably is going to Kyoto, so he would most likely fly to Osaka, which is going to be more expensive and take way more time. What he could do is fly to Tokyo and take the bullet train to Kyoto. I want to do that.
Anyway, that none of that is certain yet. There are two programs in Kyoto and one in Tokyo. He would prefer the one in Kyoto, but it depends on number of applicants if he will get it. Plus, the travel agency his school uses gets better rates in general then you can find anywhere on line.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:11 AM   #211
Edward64
Head Coach

It would be so great if prices were based on miles travelled. How prices can change even 4 months ahead is weird to me.

Yeah, I know its about optimizing profits. But we are talking about wild swings after one day, 4 months out (e.g. my example of Qatar from $1,100 to $1,400).

I've read it's an "algorithm". I would love to see the high-level flow charting of this algorithm.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:28 PM   #212
Edward64
Head Coach

There's talk about Japan really opening up (no more of the book through travel agency BS) in October.

Hope its for real. I would love to visit Japan next year.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:15 AM   #213
Edward64
Head Coach

This would scare the crap out of me. There's a video in the article.

Terrifying moment sparks fly off United Airlines plane during take-off | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
A United Airlines jet had to make an emergency landing last night after a shower of sparks flew off and debris fell to the ground moments after taking off from Newark Airport.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:20 AM   #214
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yep, not something you want to see at all. Repeating what the article said it appears like it could be a failure of one of the very large hydraulic pumps that help raise the landing gear.

Like Steam?

Old 09-22-2022, 11:55 AM   #215
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

And I'm getting on a plane Saturday morning... Thanks!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:02 PM   #216
PilotMan
Head Coach

Hey, I got on four this week alone.

Like Steam?

Old 09-22-2022, 12:02 PM   #217
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

How do these people get back on a plane like, 2 hours later or the next day? I would be like, fuck it! we be driving!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:04 PM   #218
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Hey, I got on four this week alone.

Yeah, but I imagine the risks are baked in for you at this point.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-22-2022, 01:49 PM   #219
JeeberD
General Manager

After working for an airline for nearly two years, I'm shocked how few serious incidents there are. Now, it may not be this way for all/most airlines, but the level of IDGAF in our employee base was scary.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:50 PM   #220
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
How do these people get back on a plane like, 2 hours later or the next day? I would be like, fuck it! we be driving!

If I'm correct the issue here was a system that doesn't impact the aircraft's overall safety of flight. It's sort of like saying you won't take your car anywhere because the power slider door on the minivan broke.

I know, I know, it's not the same for you, but it's comparable here. Just trying to provide a bit of context, because they are complicated pieces of equipment with thousands of intricate parts, and things are easily misunderstood.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 09-22-2022 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:02 PM   #221
Edward64
Head Coach

More Holy Sh*t moments.

Quote:
Shocking footage shows the moment an American Airlines passenger attacked a unsuspecting flight attendant - sneaking up behind him and sucker punching the staffer aboard a flight from Mexico to Los Angeles.

The incident transpired on Flight 377 from San Jose del Cabo to LAX on Wednesday, and saw the passenger removed from the plane after it touched down stateside.

Upon arriving at the airport, the suspect - 33-year-old Alexander Tung Cuu Lee of Westminster - was detained on suspicion of interfering with a flight crew.

Shocking footage shows the moment an American Airlines passenger attacked a unsuspecting flight attendant - sneaking up behind him and sucker punching the staffer aboard a flight from Mexico to Los Angeles.

The incident transpired on Flight 377 from San Jose del Cabo to LAX on Wednesday, and saw the passenger removed from the plane after it touched down stateside.

Upon arriving at the airport, the suspect - 33-year-old Alexander Tung Cuu Lee of Westminster - was detained on suspicion of interfering with a flight crew.
https://twitter.com/saadmohseni/stat...attendant.html

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-22-2022 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-23-2022, 06:15 PM   #222
Edward64
Head Coach

Qatar is #1. I've flown the recently and they are good. Their flight attendants are attentive and well trained, but they are non-nationals.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/s...022/index.html
Quote:
This year's winner was no stranger to the podium. The newly crowned Qatar Airways has won the top prize a total of seven times since the awards were introduced in 1999. The Qatari flag-carrier also scooped up eight more gongs on Friday, including Best Business Class, Best Business Class Seat and Best Business Class Lounge Dining. That's going to be a lot to bring back through hand luggage.

Just two months ago, the carrier took the No.1 slot in AirlineRatings.com's ranking of the world's best airlines.

Haven't flown Singapore in a while. Really not that price competitive for a non-business travelers. But yeah, Singapore girls are #1. I like a national airline using their citizens as flight attendants vs. the ME airlines.

Quote:
Singapore Airlines, the world's new No. 2 carrier according to Skytrax's survey, also won nine awards, including Best Cabin Staff, Best First Class, Best First Class Seat and Best First Class Catering.

No surprise there are no US airlines in the Top 10. That's because they treat travelers like cattle.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-23-2022 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2022, 06:16 PM   #223
Ksyrup

Quote:

I saw this yesterday. Dude acts like he can run away somewhere and then goes to sit down like no one knows what he did. What the hell is wrong with people?
Old 09-23-2022, 10:14 PM   #224
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I saw this yesterday. Dude acts like he can run away somewhere and then goes to sit down like no one knows what he did. What the hell is wrong with people?

My guess is alcohol.

I'm not a big drinker. I'm okay with getting rid of all alcohol before & during the flight.
Old 09-24-2022, 04:03 AM   #225
Ksyrup

I'm about to get on a flight. Hopefully no drunks on my 5:50am flight.

No lie, I have 16 free drink vouchers in my Delta account. I didn't even know I had them until I went searching for my free Sky Club passes.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-24-2022 at 04:03 AM.
Old 09-24-2022, 04:57 AM   #226
bhlloy
Coordinator

There is no amount of money you could ever pay me to be an airline steward (or crew member or whatever the term is). No alcohol on flights would be a great start for those of us who don’t want to be stuck in a metal tube for hours with belligerent drunks, but those idiots would probably just load up before the flight and cause even more disruption and angst as a result.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 05:10 AM   #227
Edward64
Head Coach

Flight attendant.

I would actually love to be one when I retire. Love to travel.

I may stand a chance in a US airline, but something tells me international airlines discriminate based on age.
Old 09-24-2022, 05:57 AM   #228
Ksyrup

So we get on our flight, about 5:20. Woman across from me gets a bottle of vodka, downs it, before most of the plane is seated. WTF?
Old 09-24-2022, 09:39 AM   #229
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
My guess is alcohol.

I'm not a big drinker. I'm okay with getting rid of all alcohol before & during the flight.

There are fewer greater pleasures in life than a couple 7AM beers while getting ready to board a flight to Vegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
No alcohol on flights would be a great start for those of us who don’t want to be stuck in a metal tube for hours with belligerent drunks, but those idiots would probably just load up before the flight and cause even more disruption and angst as a result.

I feel personally attacked...

Quote:
So we get on our flight, about 5:20. Woman across from me gets a bottle of vodka, downs it, before most of the plane is seated. WTF?

My people!!! (kidding, even I don't do this, but I will get a rum and OJ or something)

My guess is she is afraid to fly and is medicating.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:01 AM   #230
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'd like to remind you all that consuming bottles of alcohol that you brought on board is a federal offense. Also, if you appear intoxicated you should be denied boarding by the gate agents.

Drunk people are pains in the ass.

Like Steam?

Old 09-24-2022, 10:07 AM   #231
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I've never drank my own on board and thankfully never been denied boarding.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:27 AM   #232
Ksyrup

She didn't bring it on. We are in 1st class (thanks, upgrade certificates!) and she got a bottle from the stewardess. Obviously, the small one. I figured she was just taking the free alcohol for later, but no, she needed a wake-me-up at 5:25am apparently. Guy was boarding and saw the look on my face and whispered, "Whatever gets you through I guess."
Old 09-24-2022, 10:35 AM   #233
Ksyrup

And BTW, free WiFi should be standard - at least for everyone over economy - but I'm on one of the Delta flights that has $5 per flight WiFi. I'm good with that. I steamed a show with absolutely no issues. We certainly shouldn't be paying $25-30.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:37 AM   #234
GrantDawg

Quote:
There are fewer greater pleasures in life than a couple 7AM beers while getting ready to board a flight to Vegas.
God, I missed being young and waking up to a beer and a bowl of Cornflakes.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:43 AM   #235
Ksyrup

I rarely drink, flying or not, so I'm always a bit amazed by the way some people drink. The number of people getting champagne and other drinks in the Sky Club at 7:30am was crazy. It's just not something that's been a big part of my or my wife's lives at all.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:00 AM   #236
GrantDawg

Quote:
I rarely drink, flying or not, so I'm always a bit amazed by the way some people drink. The number of people getting champagne and other drinks in the Sky Club at 7:30am was crazy. It's just not something that's been a big part of my or my wife's lives at all.
I hardly ever drink as well, but I also haven't been on a plane in 30 years. If I were going to to fly, I would probably take a strong drink before boarding.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:13 AM   #237
Ksyrup

Quote:
Been checking out Jan-Feb flights to Asia every day or so using Google Flights.

5) Delta/SkyTeam sucks for Asia[/indent]

This is true, but it's also one of the reasons I put so much time, energy and money (annual fees) into credit card perks. AmEx points and Chase Rewards points are transferable on a 1 to 1 basis to Virgin Atlantic. VA has a partnership with ANA which allows the use of VA miles for ANA award travel. You can get insanely cheap flights based on credit card spend with this method.

If you regularly fly to Asia, it's something to consider.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:16 AM   #238
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

They are on vacation! I have had many a malibu and OJ in the united lounge
Old 09-24-2022, 12:02 PM   #239
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

@PilotMan: took a recently flight from PWM to ORD (737-800, UAL), and once boarded the pilot said that their brakes got a little hot when landing so they might take longer than usual to retract the landing gear when taking off. They said this happens often for this particular aircraft.

True? Feels like something that maybe should be fixed in design.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 01:05 PM   #240
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Not a 737 pilot, but I do play one on the computer.

The autobrakes on the 738 might be a bit overzealous, or the pilots wanted to hit a specific exit on the runway after landing, and set them high (this would not surprise me depending on the runway they landed + what gate they are taxiing to). Or they didn't want to go hard on the reversers on landing, so they relied more on brakes than engine. Or they were a bit heavy on manual braking.

First blush I'd guess it sounds like they cooked their brakes a bit from procedure more than design, but our resident former 73 pilot probably does know.

That said ... they also have brake fans on those things, to be used when the brakes get hot. Seems weird they'd need more cooling between landing and full turnaround, but maybe on a really fast turnaround? Dunno.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:40 PM   #241
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Well, PWM is a pretty short runway, so I could see them going hard on the brakes.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:15 PM   #242
Ksyrup

Quote:
They are on vacation! I have had many a malibu and OJ in the united lounge

I mean, I guess. But I have about 4-6 drinks a year so the idea of alcohol in the morning makes me sick.
Old 09-24-2022, 09:24 PM   #243
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I mean, I guess. But I have about 4-6 drinks a year so the idea of alcohol in the morning makes me sick.

The cure for that is more drinks.

Hell, I had 2 glasses of wine at dinner, 2 when I got home, and now I am on my second Jack and Ginger and the Huskies game hasn't even started.

While you are in paradise have a Miami Vice with a myers dark rum floater, you won't regret it.
Old 09-24-2022, 09:36 PM   #244
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
@PilotMan: took a recently flight from PWM to ORD (737-800, UAL), and once boarded the pilot said that their brakes got a little hot when landing so they might take longer than usual to retract the landing gear when taking off. They said this happens often for this particular aircraft.

True? Feels like something that maybe should be fixed in design.

The 737 especially tends to get hot brakes on shorter runways. By it's nature it's approach speed is rather fast compared to other planes it's size because of how long it is and how low it sits on the ground. The brakes temps would have been monitored while it was on the ground and a minimum cooling time observed prior to departing again. So yeah, pretty standard stuff.

Like Steam?

Old 09-26-2022, 09:09 AM   #245
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
There's talk about Japan really opening up (no more of the book through travel agency BS) in October.

Hope its for real. I would love to visit Japan next year.

Japan is finally re-opening.

Would love for China to do the same but suspect it'll be late 2023+ at the earliest.

Quote:
"Finally, Japan will reopen the border," the tweet said. "Visa waiver is back, no daily limit and free individual visits."

The new policies start on October 11.

"We will lift the ceiling of the number of entrants into Japan, lift the ban on individual travel and lift the ban over visa-less travel," Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said Thursday at a news conference in New York City, where he was attending the UN General Assembly meeting.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:43 PM   #246
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I'd like to remind you all that consuming bottles of alcohol that you brought on board is a federal offense. Also, if you appear intoxicated you should be denied boarding by the gate agents.

Drunk people are pains in the ass.

Speaking of drunk people and Singapore Airlines... about 10 years ago, I was flying back from Moscow on a half empty plane. If you have flown Singapore, you know their flight crews are passive to the point of obsequious, or at least they were then. Some burly dude speaking Russian had one of the middle rows on a 3-4-3 plane (747, right?) all to himself. He kept asking for the little alcohol bottles and the flight attendants kept bringing them to him. He kept sloppily drinking them - like he would chug half and then started piling them on a couple of the tray tables in his row. As he kept drinking more and more of these, he started asking for them quicker and quicker. Eventually, the flight attendant had to called what I think is the manager, as they had a different uniform. He deftly disarmed the situation by repeating over and over to the passenger that he could have another drink once he finished all of his current drinks. The passenger alternated between (presumably) cursing out the manager and trying to drink what was left in the half-empty bottles. Eventually, he failed, grunted one last insult, passed out, and started snoring.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:47 PM   #247
PilotMan
Head Coach

The real question we need in this group is, what the fuck is going on at American and their really, really weird PA issue.

Paywall removed

https://wapo.st/3xSaokk

Like Steam?

Old 09-27-2022, 01:34 AM   #248
bhlloy
Coordinator

That’s not an airplane noise. Either some folks at American are in in the joke, they are lying through their teeth about the ability for somebody to access the PA for some technical/security reason or ghosts are a thing. I’m guessing it’s one of the first two.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:59 AM   #249
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

First answer is, of course, ghosts.

Second is that someone has figured out how to hack the AA PA system

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:06 AM   #250
bhlloy
Coordinator

I mean if it was an issue with the amp and engine noise as they are saying, it would surely be an issue on every other airline who uses that plane model? Hard to believe they could even suggest that with a straight face.

PM - what is your expert take?