Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2019, 07:12 AM   #1651
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I was watching the live broadcast of the wsop. Was prerty funny to see people’s reactions.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:46 AM   #1652
Thomkal
Head Coach

Apparently the thing to do in an earthquake is to film your pool with the water overflowing then post it on Twitch. Hope all in the area have that as the worse thing happening.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #1653
Dreghorn2
n00b

We live 11 kms from the epicenter.

After the 6.4 on July 4th we could hear the aftershocks below ground before the sound of the actual earth movement reached us a moment later, very disconcerting.

The 7.1 last night was tough. With so many aftershocks in the 4.0-5.0 range we didn't react quickly enough to the intensity change, it was tough to stay upright as we tried to make it to the backyard.

We're lucky in that we still have power. It was out for 6 hours Thursday in 100 degree afternoon temperatures.

We've experienced two small aftershocks while i've been writing this.
Dreghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #1654
JPhillips
General Manager

Damn Take care and be safe.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #1655
Edward64
Head Coach

Yup, stay safe. Pretty scary I'm sure.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #1656
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What is the heat wave like for everyone?

We haven't quiet hit triple digits (99) but it says it feels like 111. Thankful humidity is only 48%. About 3 weeks ago we had a Florida type stretch where humidity was up near 90 for a while, luckily we were only upper 80's temperature at that point. Can't imagine how bad it would feel out there if we were hitting that level of humidity today.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #1657
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
What is the heat wave like for everyone?

We haven't quiet hit triple digits (99) but it says it feels like 111. Thankful humidity is only 48%. About 3 weeks ago we had a Florida type stretch where humidity was up near 90 for a while, luckily we were only upper 80's temperature at that point. Can't imagine how bad it would feel out there if we were hitting that level of humidity today.

Currently 80 in Athens, GA with 78% humdity, real feel 88
Old 07-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #1658
JPhillips
General Manager

94 and feels like 107.

But UV index only 6 of 10!
Old 07-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #1659
Thomkal
Head Coach

Felt like over 100 last few days here in Myrtle-looks like some relief could come Monday
Old 07-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #1660
tarcone
Coordinator

Last day of our excessive heat warning. Feels like near 110. Temps around 97. Brutal.

Next week we see high 70s and low 80s. That is awesome for July.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #1661
Radii
Head Coach

We've got thunderstorms coming in today to cool things down a little, so our heat wave ends a bit early. The worst for me was that the lows didn't get down below 80 on Friday night. Due to a super weird addition that was done to this house at some point, my bedroom isn't connected to the central air and doesn't have any cooling other than a ceiling fan, so Friday night was rather rough.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #1662
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
We've got thunderstorms coming in today to cool things down a little, so our heat wave ends a bit early. The worst for me was that the lows didn't get down below 80 on Friday night. Due to a super weird addition that was done to this house at some point, my bedroom isn't connected to the central air and doesn't have any cooling other than a ceiling fan, so Friday night was rather rough.

time to move (or get more fans)
Old 07-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #1663
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
time to move

Funnily enough, this is about the 15th time I've been told that I should move in the past few days. All but this one is over neighbor issues though
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #1664
Critch
lolzcat

Just been out, mainly dashing from AC in the car to AC in stores, but still feel like my underwear has melted. 94 but feels like 105 apparently.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #1665
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Funnily enough, this is about the 15th time I've been told that I should move in the past few days. All but this one is over neighbor issues though

Leave it to me to be the odd man out
Old 07-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #1666
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Just been out, mainly dashing from AC in the car to AC in stores, but still feel like my underwear has melted. 94 but feels like 105 apparently.

I got a little relief from watching the British Open in Northern Ireland this week. Temps in the 50's/60's lots of sweater weather, wind, and rain.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #1667
molson
General Manager

Daytime highs are often 95-100 and beyond mid-July here in Boise but I'm always just an early morning 2 and a half hour trip to Stanley and the Sawtooth area for breakfast and a long dog walk around the lake where its still in the 40s in the morning. I'd love to have a cabin up there someday.

Last edited by molson : 07-21-2019 at 02:11 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:07 PM   #1668
SackAttack
Head Coach

Severe thunderstorms knocked out power to a goodly chunk of Green Bay. My apartment is fine, but the lady and our dog had been staying with her parents previously, and she decided another day without AC or lights was just not happening.

So they're here enjoying the AC.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #1669
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Crazy freak storm blew through Jersey last night. I am at the center of up. 80 MPH straightline winds came through. Virtually my whole county is without power and they say it could be days to restore. We have a generator so we are comfortable, but most roads are impassable.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #1670
JPhillips
General Manager

It is currently 66 and may not top 70 today if the clouds hold up.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:38 AM   #1671
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It is currently 66 and may not top 70 today if the clouds hold up.

Going to have a low of 68 here tonight, break out the winter jackets
Old 07-23-2019, 08:48 AM   #1672
tarcone
Coordinator

We had crazy rain the night before last. The high in St Louis county was 6 inches. My town got 4. St. Louis city got a record of over 3. All in a couple hours.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:41 PM   #1673
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Crazy freak storm blew through Jersey last night. I am at the center of up. 80 MPH straightline winds came through. Virtually my whole county is without power and they say it could be days to restore. We have a generator so we are comfortable, but most roads are impassable.

It was downright scary at Newark. I was happy that we had an air conditioning issue and came back to the gate when we did, because we beat most (flights) back and got our passengers off the plane and inside before it got super nasty. It was as messy as I've ever seen it there yesterday. Thankful I wasn't trying to go home.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:51 PM   #1674
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Forget yesterday, today it was 20 Celsius. In February. Wow.
39.3 Celsius today. Previous record high was 38.8 Celsius. Forecasts for tomorrow: coin flip away from a new record.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:10 PM   #1675
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
39.3 Celsius today. Previous record high was 38.8 Celsius. Forecasts for tomorrow: coin flip away from a new record.

I was talking with my mother in law today. She lives just outside of Mannheim, Germany. It was 91 F at 9pm local time. At 3pm locally, the thermostat read 83 F.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #1676
MIJB#19
Coordinator

FWIW, that 39.3 Celsius was elsewhere in the country, at my home the highest I've seen was 35 Celsius. Today there are several reports from across the country that 40 Celsius was reached, the record setting location (40.4 Celsius) apparently about 60 miles away from where I live. It's 'only' 36 Celsius in Maassluis, which until about 5 years ago I honestly hadn't expected to ever see a temperature like that in my hometown.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #1677
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
FWIW, that 39.3 Celsius was elsewhere in the country, at my home the highest I've seen was 35 Celsius. Today there are several reports from across the country that 40 Celsius was reached, the record setting location (40.4 Celsius) apparently about 60 miles away from where I live. It's 'only' 36 Celsius in Maassluis, which until about 5 years ago I honestly hadn't expected to ever see a temperature like that in my hometown.
The national record reportedly set today at 40.7 Celsius. Right now, 45 minutes after midnight, it's still 31 Celsius here. Bizar.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:11 AM   #1678
CraigSca
Pro Starter

TROPICAL STORM DORIAN

/vomit
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:52 AM   #1679
JPhillips
General Manager

Looks like it could hit right where we stay every summer, St. Augustine Beach.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:59 AM   #1680
JPhillips
General Manager

The latest track for Dorian is almost a direct hit on Mar-a-Lago.

These are the hackiest screenwriters ever.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:19 AM   #1681
miami_fan
Coordinator

An observation from the west coast of Florida

I just went to my local Publix mostly to grab a sandwich but also to kind of get an idea of how people are dealing with Dorian's arrival. First off, the parking lot was near capacity. I am talking about the day before Thanksgiving full. There were a couple of carts waiting outside to be picked up from the two collection points I passed in the parking lot and a couple of stray ones hopped up on the grass. So imagine my surprise when I saw only four empty carts left at the entrance of the store. As I walked inside, store employees were handing out bottles of 24 packs of bottled water(2 max) and gallon jugs of water (4 max). After getting my lunch, I walked over to the dairy aisle. Only fat free milk and skim milk was left. No whole, no 2%. As I typed this I went on to Amazon to see what sort of price I would get for the same type of water I saw in the store.

Nestle Waters North America 101264 "Nestle Pure Life" Purified Water 16.9 Oz (Pack of 24) usually runs for $3-$5 locally costs between $18.45-$20.31

Zephyrhills Spring Water, 1 gallon runs about $1-$2 is running about $14.95
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-30-2019, 12:52 PM   #1682
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hasn't Amazon gotten in trouble before for price gouging?
Old 08-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #1683
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

While price gouging is probably an issue, the local stores are probably paying extra to expedite shipments of water to the store and they're allowed to pass the cost onto the customer.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:16 PM   #1684
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
An observation from the west coast of Florida

I just went to my local Publix mostly to grab a sandwich but also to kind of get an idea of how people are dealing with Dorian's arrival. First off, the parking lot was near capacity. I am talking about the day before Thanksgiving full. There were a couple of carts waiting outside to be picked up from the two collection points I passed in the parking lot and a couple of stray ones hopped up on the grass. So imagine my surprise when I saw only four empty carts left at the entrance of the store. As I walked inside, store employees were handing out bottles of 24 packs of bottled water(2 max) and gallon jugs of water (4 max). After getting my lunch, I walked over to the dairy aisle. Only fat free milk and skim milk was left. No whole, no 2%. As I typed this I went on to Amazon to see what sort of price I would get for the same type of water I saw in the store.

Nestle Waters North America 101264 "Nestle Pure Life" Purified Water 16.9 Oz (Pack of 24) usually runs for $3-$5 locally costs between $18.45-$20.31

Zephyrhills Spring Water, 1 gallon runs about $1-$2 is running about $14.95

Good choice on the sandwich Publix has a great Pharmacy prescription program too.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #1685
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Long lines for gas here and the local Publix just got more water in (with the limits of 2 per family).

The forecast for the storm is so slow that we're getting preparedness fatigue. My wife shared this with me and I thought it was funny - "It's like being stalked by a turtle."

Seeing the various models - we're going to get hit in some way - some show a direct hit (the eye literally 2-3 miles west of us) and the latest Euro has it staying out to sea (barely) skirting the coast.

When it finally gets here, it's going to be a miserable 24+ hours, but ever since Irma we got a generator and I'm stocked with 25 gallons of gas and a portable air conditioner. Just want it to be over with.
how do you know?

Old 08-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #1686
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Do people realize if they have empty bottles or even like pots and pans they can just fill them up with tap water?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #1687
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I personally don't get it either. We buy a large bladder that fits in the bathtub. Done.
how do you know?

Old 08-30-2019, 03:04 PM   #1688
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Do people realize if they have empty bottles or even like pots and pans they can just fill them up with tap water?

I agree but to play devil's advocate. People could be filling empty bottles of tap water all the time yet people are always buying bottled water. My wife had a few co-workers (all of whom were younger) over one afternoon. The reaction I got from drinking a glass of tap water was telling. You would have thought I had taken a bottle of Bacardi 151 to the head.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #1689
JPhillips
General Manager

We have NYC water, so we rarely have any bottled water in the house and we all drink a ton of water.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:43 PM   #1690
bhlloy
Coordinator

Definitely depends where you are. Unfiltered LA water is pretty disgusting, although I suspect it's fine from a safety perspective. Back home in the UK growing up I didn't even know what bottled water is because the water quality was so good.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #1691
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Good choice on the sandwich Publix has a great Pharmacy prescription program too.

True to both. Love their Cubans.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:31 PM   #1692
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't know which group is more annoying?

Group A: The people who are already complaining that the MEDIA lied about the course of Dorian forcing them to go out buy supplies that they will not need.

OR

Group B: The people who are already complaining that the MEDIA have no clue what they are talking and are playing with human lives.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:15 PM   #1693
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Stay safe Floridians.

Though I have a strong feeling we'll get plenty of "A Florida man..." stories from this.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM   #1694
tarcone
Coordinator

We had a thunderstorm warning, a tornado warning, and a flash flood warning within a 30 minute period.

It was a wicked storm that blew through here.

Dorian looks like it will be a 2 when it hits my sister and dad. Been watching closely.

Good luck.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:50 PM   #1695
CraigSca
Pro Starter

This went from, "oh, it's headed out to sea", now back to landfall < 20 miles from home all within the span of 24 hours. This has been a total roller coaster.
how do you know?

Old 09-01-2019, 09:34 AM   #1696
CraigSca
Pro Starter

And now with 175 mph winds. Anything else? Perhaps crawfish with laser blasters instead of claws?!
how do you know?

Old 09-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #1697
Thomkal
Head Coach

South Carolina has started its first mandatory evacuations for the people living closest to the ocean. I'm two (barely) zones further inland. Our local guy who's been here 20+ years and has gotten pretty good at this hurricane stuff just posted max wind gusts if Dorian stays on its track and stays just off the coast-65 mph winds, about 10 inches of rain.

Meanwhile there might be not much left of Bermuda, as its getting pummelled and heading straight to Freeport it looks like with 180 mph winds,
Old 09-01-2019, 07:50 PM   #1698
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
And now with 175 mph winds. Anything else? Perhaps crawfish with laser blasters instead of claws?!

Id watch that. Hurricrawish with lasers

Old 09-01-2019, 08:44 PM   #1699
RainMaker
General Manager

So it seems like we'll luck out and it won't be a direct hit?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:43 AM   #1700
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
South Carolina has started its first mandatory evacuations for the people living closest to the ocean. I'm two (barely) zones further inland. Our local guy who's been here 20+ years and has gotten pretty good at this hurricane stuff just posted max wind gusts if Dorian stays on its track and stays just off the coast-65 mph winds, about 10 inches of rain.

Meanwhile there might be not much left of Bermuda, as its getting pummelled and heading straight to Freeport it looks like with 180 mph winds,
Yeah, we'll be fine in Charlotte regardless, but this seems worse & worse for the more coastal regions. Not sure how the Florence fallout left the coast, and if they're better prepared or it's too soon.

Feel bad for the Bahamas too. Looks like a direct hit on Freeport, but that means the winds & storm surge are brutal on Nassau/Paradise Island. Normally storm surge wouldn't be a big concern on the south side like that, but I assume with how shallow everything is it'll still be bad :/
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote