rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:47 PM   #152
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
If FOX will still take him.

I seriously doubt FOX kills this deal.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #153
JPhillips
General Manager

I generally understand why radio folks that I don't personally like are successful, but I have never understood how Cowherd has a career. He must have a huge audience of people that tolerate him because they can't find anything better.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:33 PM   #154
tarcone
Coordinator

Beaumonty Jones is my new fave. I started calling my youngest daughter Beaumonty because we were coming home from basketball practice while he is on. She wasn't impressed.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:22 AM   #155
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I generally understand why radio folks that I don't personally like are successful, but I have never understood how Cowherd has a career. He must have a huge audience of people that tolerate him because they can't find anything better.

Cowherd tends to be upfront and honest. He is basically a sports shock jock, and he generally does not care if some people get upset because of it. He has definitive opinions that might go against commonly held beliefs but he can clearly explain why he believes what he does. He is also not afraid to admit when he was wrong about something. These are traits that many people love for radio.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:30 AM   #156
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I seriously doubt FOX kills this deal.

It would rather kill its deal with Cowherd than mess up the one they have with MLB.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #157
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
It would rather kill its deal with Cowherd than mess up the one they have with MLB.

I think you are overestimating the value that MLB places on the feelings of those that might be offended. I could be 100% wrong on this one but I feel in circumstances like this, MLB believes this too shall pass.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #158
korme
Go Reds

Tarcone, it's Bomani.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:10 PM   #159
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

ESPN could be sold directly to fans, Disney CEO says
Old 07-28-2015, 05:33 AM   #160
stevew
Hall Of Famer

@ $36/month? Hell no.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #161
sooner333
College Starter

That price point makes little sense considering you can get all of the ESPNs and more for $25 a month on Sling TV.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:07 AM   #162
bronconick
College Starter

They'll probably pull themselves out of the Sling deal first, which they can do if they lose a certain # of subscribers.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #163
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

+1

I dont believe CC even believes half the shit he says. I think he takes the worst of Stern, and mixes it with the worst of Rome (I happen to really like both) and produces the worst show on radio. I actually bought Sirius JUST because of Cowherd. I like to listen to sports in the car on OTA I have no other options during his time slot, so I bought Sirius exclusively to have an option.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #164
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Dola - I'd gladly pay $10/month or so for ESPN but not much more.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:17 PM   #165
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
That price point makes little sense considering you can get all of the ESPNs and more for $25 a month on Sling TV.

I might be in the minority, but any TV service without DVR is a no-go for me. I don't want to go back to a world of sports programming altering my life plans. I wouldn't pay $36/month for ESPN all year, but if it was the entire ESPN family with ESPN3 and everything else, I might go close to that for college football and basketball seasons. Then just about the only thing I'd miss about cable/satellite is UFC on Fox Sports 1.

Last edited by molson : 07-28-2015 at 07:19 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:45 PM   #166
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pity the shark didn't bite Grantland in the ass as it jumped over.

When you reach the point of posting articles about Drake & some dude that has presumably even less talent since I've literally never heard his fucking name before, the shark has been vaulted.

Good idea for a site, the direction has ultimately failed to the point where I simply not only can't abide seeing their crap anymore but to where I actively hope whomever thought that worthless bullshit warranted space dies in a fucking fire.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #167
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

When you reach the point of posting articles about Drake & some dude that has presumably even less talent since I've literally never heard his fucking name before, the shark has been vaulted.

Good idea for a site, the direction has ultimately failed to the point where I simply not only can't abide seeing their crap anymore but to where I actively hope whomever thought that worthless bullshit warranted space dies in a fucking fire.

I'm gonna call that last sentence a bit of an overreaction.

FWIW it was the #1 trending item on Twitter in the US today.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #168
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm gonna call that last sentence a bit of an overreaction.

I'll grant that it would have stood better with a clarification, along the lines of "whomever thought it belonged on what was supposed to be a sports site ..."

Quote:
FWIW it was the #1 trending item on Twitter in the US today.

Speaks volumes about the incredibly limited value of Twitter for anyone with a f'n brain. It's not entirely useless but a large portion of its user base apparently is.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-29-2015 at 03:04 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:06 PM   #169
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I'll grant that it would have stood better with a clarification, along the lines of "whomever thought it belonged on what was supposed to be a sports site ..."

It's supposed to be a "Sports and Pop Culture site"...says it right in the header.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #170
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's supposed to be a "Sports and Pop Culture site"...says it right in the header.

Well that's a mix that ain't worth a tinker's dam.

It sucks on radio when I've heard it tried, sucks even harder to have some pretty good sports content buried with utter garbage articles.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #171
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Seems like a strange thing to be upset by. Grantland has ALWAYS done pop culture articles.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #172
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Seems like a strange thing to be upset by. Grantland has ALWAYS done pop culture articles.

Yeah. I go to the site more often for the pop culture articles than the sports. Sportswise, I always read Maple Leafs' and Bill Barnwell's stuff, but other than that...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #173
nol
Banned

Quote:

Especially when there's SO much going on in the sporting world this time of year that should be covered instead. Baseball playoffs are only two months away, football teams might start practicing sometime soon, basketball teams are only a couple months away from starting practice, people are probably golfing in golf events. Where is the coverage?!

Last edited by nol : 08-05-2015 at 03:54 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #174
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
@ $36/month? Hell no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post

Honestly, I could let ESPN go, as long as I can have the BTN.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #175
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Honestly, I could let ESPN go, as long as I can have the BTN.

Good job, Kodos! You've finally found the silver lining to being an University of Indiana football fan.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #176
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's Indiana University, sir.

Also, you're still looking for that Silver lining in Detroit, I imagine.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-05-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #177
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
@ $36/month? Hell no.

Disney stock hit by ESPN fears - Aug. 5, 2015
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #178
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I've known it's been around, I've rarely seen it. Suddenly every "push" I get from them on social media is stuff that I have exactly zero interest in (and that's being generous), rarely a sports related article directed to my attention for the past several weeks.

That has almost surely colored my perception of what they're doing and in what ratio. And perception is an enormous driver for virtually all media, they may not have changed one single thing but my perception of them has gone from probably 70% positive to probably 90% negative in a matter of weeks.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:06 AM   #179
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I've known it's been around, I've rarely seen it. Suddenly every "push" I get from them on social media is stuff that I have exactly zero interest in (and that's being generous), rarely a sports related article directed to my attention for the past several weeks.

That has almost surely colored my perception of what they're doing and in what ratio. And perception is an enormous driver for virtually all media, they may not have changed one single thing but my perception of them has gone from probably 70% positive to probably 90% negative in a matter of weeks.
Well then stop caring what they do on social media and use this - The Triangle « - as your link to it. (Although they do some good features too.) I mean I agree it's gotten a little more pop culture than I'd like (hate on Simmons all you want, but back when he wrote he certainly put out sports-related articles that were worth reading), but they do a very good job delineating Sports/Pop Culture. Especially compared to, say, ESPN.com, which I've been back to maybe like 3 times since the redesign.

(Seriously, for anyone who doesn't have it or something similar, I can't recommend TheScore app highly enough. It legitimately just gives scores, and standings, and stats.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #180
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

I'm not sure if there's been anything else where I would love to be able to press the fast forward button and see how things shake out 5-10 years down the road than everything related to bundling and sports.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #181
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
This is quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite FOFC posts.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:23 PM   #182
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

So social media has colored your perception of the site? Seriously, that's pretty lame dude.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:48 PM   #183
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I'm not sure if there's been anything else where I would love to be able to press the fast forward button and see how things shake out 5-10 years down the road than everything related to bundling and sports.

I'm interested too. Seems like a model that can't continue to sustain itself like this with more and more cutting the cord. I'm also interested to see how this impacts TV contracts in the future. Will they actually start clawing back in the other direction?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:37 AM   #184
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So social media has colored your perception of the site? Seriously, that's pretty lame dude.

Bear in mind here, it's their social media I'm referring to, not random social media or something. They choose what they hype to their FB followers, what they consider important enough to try to ensure that I'm aware of.

The number of times I've ever organically visited Grantland in its entire existence is almost certainly single-digits. That's not a site -- nor are 99.99% of sites -- that I sit around and think "oh, let's go see what's there today".

I hit my aggregator site/browser home page, FB, two newspapers, one sports site, this musty joint and on most days 1-2 music sites of my own accord. Oh and I guess Google counts there since it gets hit when I'm in search of something specific, which is multiple times a day. Virtually everything else comes from some prompt. Either a social media prompt/hype/link from a site's own doing or something that's been shared by a friend/acquaintance that catches my attention enough to look closer.

One of the older tendencies I'm aware of with mass media is that consumers perception of you is exponentially affected by what you promote. The classic example that was used to teach the importance of promotion & positioning (what is usually called "branding" now) was the radio station that got low marks from listeners as a source for traffic & weather over several years despite being #1 for news. They shot to the #1 unaided recall position within 3 months by making one & only one change to their traffic & weather coverage: 5-10 times an hour, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week they hyped themselves as having "traffic & weather together on the 5s". Their coverage didn't change one iota, the only change they made was that they emphasized the amount of coverage they did. Suddenly, the listeners considered them THE go-to source for traffic & weather in the market. THAT is the power of promotion/branding, say what's important to you & people will generally believe it's important to you.

That same phenomena has worked in reverse with me & Grantland. They may have changed absolutely nothing except what they promote within my line of sight ... and in doing so they've made a rapid shift in how I perceive them overall.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:36 AM   #185
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Bear in mind here, it's their social media I'm referring to, not random social media or something. They choose what they hype to their FB followers, what they consider important enough to try to ensure that I'm aware of.

The number of times I've ever organically visited Grantland in its entire existence is almost certainly single-digits. That's not a site -- nor are 99.99% of sites -- that I sit around and think "oh, let's go see what's there today".

I hit my aggregator site/browser home page, FB, two newspapers, one sports site, this musty joint and on most days 1-2 music sites of my own accord. Oh and I guess Google counts there since it gets hit when I'm in search of something specific, which is multiple times a day. Virtually everything else comes from some prompt. Either a social media prompt/hype/link from a site's own doing or something that's been shared by a friend/acquaintance that catches my attention enough to look closer.

One of the older tendencies I'm aware of with mass media is that consumers perception of you is exponentially affected by what you promote. The classic example that was used to teach the importance of promotion & positioning (what is usually called "branding" now) was the radio station that got low marks from listeners as a source for traffic & weather over several years despite being #1 for news. They shot to the #1 unaided recall position within 3 months by making one & only one change to their traffic & weather coverage: 5-10 times an hour, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week they hyped themselves as having "traffic & weather together on the 5s". Their coverage didn't change one iota, the only change they made was that they emphasized the amount of coverage they did. Suddenly, the listeners considered them THE go-to source for traffic & weather in the market. THAT is the power of promotion/branding, say what's important to you & people will generally believe it's important to you.

That same phenomena has worked in reverse with me & Grantland. They may have changed absolutely nothing except what they promote within my line of sight ... and in doing so they've made a rapid shift in how I perceive them overall.

A reality show featuring JimInGA searching the Internet is something I would support.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #186
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hence why I called it lame. If the content is the same, what part of that content they choose to focus on in promotion should be irrelevant for current consumers of the product.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-08-2015 at 10:36 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #187
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hence why I called it lame. If the content is the same, what part of that content they choose to focus on in promotion should be irrelevant for current consumers of the product.

So if (tries to find example) AMC aired The Walking Dead one hour a week but hyped a 23/7 block of "All Kardashians All The Time" to fans of TWD you don't find it reasonable those TWD fan perceptions of the network would be influenced by that?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-08-2015 at 11:20 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #188
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

No, they shouldn't. That's just silly. Does it reduce the amount of time they air TWD? And let's be honest, your view is far more analagous to people deciding not to watch TWD because of Kardashian promotions, for a one hour Kardashian show.

I mean the fact that Fox runs a traitor news network doesn't have any impact on my watching television shows on their broadcast network.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-08-2015 at 12:32 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #189
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, they shouldn't. That's just silly. Does it reduce the amount of time they air TWD? And let's be honest, your view is far more analagous to people deciding not to watch TWD because of Kardashian promotions, for a one hour Kardashian show.

Noooooo, if there's something decent at Grantland then I'll still consider looking if it comes to mind. Same as I'd watch TWD while thinking the Kardashian channel was utter shite overall and that those responsible for making it shite should be boiled in oil. A preferable situation would be if the decent content were somewhere that wasn't cluttered by utter garbage and I'm rarely to not at least acknowledge that a better option exists. Not expecting it to occur doesn't discount the option of at least wishing it did.

How bout this ... how bout we just agree that at least ONE of us has a very fucked up way at looking at things?
Old 08-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #190
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
No, they shouldn't. That's just silly.

They shouldn't, and its silly, but Breaking Bad fans lost their fucking minds at the overpromotion of Low Winter Sun (especially when Low Winter Sun turned out to be a not so good show) during Breaking Bad. It was... ridiculous, but the hate was pretty widespread.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #191
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Indeed. And like you said, it was ridiculous. And quite a lame reaction.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #192
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
(especially when Low Winter Sun turned out to be a not so good show)

Well that's putting it mildly
Old 08-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #193
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Just for the record, there has been no change at all in what Grantland pushes on social media. Everything goes out on Twitter; most (but not all) things go out on Facebook.

Remember, you don't see everything a site pushes to Facebook. There's an algorithm, largely random, that only shows you a small slice of what's posted. It sounds like you've had some bad luck in terms of what's wound up in your feed vs. what you'd prefer to see. That's all that's going on here.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:20 PM   #194
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Just for the record, there has been no change at all in what Grantland pushes on social media. Everything goes out on Twitter; most (but not all) things go out on Facebook.

Remember, you don't see everything a site pushes to Facebook. There's an algorithm, largely random, that only shows you a small slice of what's posted. It sounds like you've had some bad luck in terms of what's wound up in your feed vs. what you'd prefer to see. That's all that's going on here.

Yes, I'm very familiar with the algorithm.

Just looked at the FB page itself, of posts timestamped as the past 24 hours, it's 9 sports & 7 non. Of those, my feed got hit with 0/3.

Of those tagged by FB as "yesterday", it's 6 sports/7 non (including several nons that repeated themselves in the past 24 hours). I believe I got 0/2 of those.

All told, it's virtually 50/50 for the past two days ... that's just a site killer for me when the closest thing to even barely passing interest of the 14 non-sports items is a Meryl Streep movie I give zero fucks about.

{shrug} I'm not the target, so I'll move on.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #195
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

It's not really random. They throttle it until companies pay. It's a weird strategy in my opinion.

Switch to Twitter where there currently isn't weird walls blocking you from getting news you want pushed to you.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #196
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It's not really random. They throttle it until companies pay. It's a weird strategy in my opinion.

Switch to Twitter where there currently isn't weird walls blocking you from getting news you want pushed to you.
Well, yes, there's the shakedown model too. (One that Twitter desperately wants to move towards.)
Old 08-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #197
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
{shrug} I'm not the target, so I'll move on.
See? Isn't that easier than railing against the stupidity of a change that didn't actually happen?
Old 08-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #198
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
See? Isn't that easier than railing against the stupidity of a change that didn't actually happen?

Umm .. what changed is my perception, based on what is put in front of me voluntarily by the g.d. site. Perception IS reality, like it or not. You can defend it {shrug}, I can hope those responsible for writing garbage articles about garbage performers like f'n Drake diaf. {shrug}

It should have been -- and could have been -- a topnotch sports site. Instead, it opted to pander to the lowest common denominator, same as TMZ.

Like I said, you can defend 'em,well within your rights ... I have the same right to say fuck 'em.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #199
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Noooooo, if there's something decent at Grantland then I'll still consider looking if it comes to mind.

Is it any wonder the Thrashers left Atlanta?
Old 08-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #200
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Is it any wonder the Thrashers left Atlanta?

Well, there really isn't much in sports uglier than bad hockey.