Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-02-2005, 02:29 PM   #1
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Ardent Softball: In Search of a Home Run

As some may remember, last year I detailed my softball exploits here.

I planned to do the same this year, but ended up with tendonitis in my right wrist...which kept me out for nearly 3 weeks of softball. My wife's injury also forced me to miss 3 weeks while I tended to her.

The cast came off about 3 weeks ago, just in time for me to finish the past season with my roommate's team, the Naval Hospital Corps School Scrubs. The team, in short, is horrible. I had the cast cut off that morning, and I was playing second base that afternoon for the Scrubs.

We lost both playoff games, but I hit and fielded remarkably well in both games.

I played much better this season than I did last season. I am a lot stronger and more confident than before. Last year I was more of a singles type hitter than anything. I have a lot more power now, and have hit a number of home runs in practice, but not in a game.

Part of the problem is that one of our fields has little in the way of a fence. Field 2 has no fence for the most part. It's a large rectangular field that has two ballfields within it. As such, there are fences down the lines, way down the lines. I couldn't imagine how deep it is, but I'd guess it's 325 down the lines. With no fence behind the outfielders, it's important to not let the ball get by.

Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I meant to continue this thread...but work and softball called me away.

I found out this morning that I'm playing for the Red Ropers, arguably the best softball team on base when their roster is "limited." By that I mean when rosters are limited to commands. Recruit Training Command, known for the "red ropes" they wear while pushing recruits through boot camp, has a huge pool to obtain players from. Teams are allowed three waivers to obtain players from other commands.

Unfortunately, the fall season is not an unlimited roster. Last season, for example, my team took advantage of this and we recruited a number of Red Ropers to our team for the fall league. I actually tried out for the Red Ropers this past season, but my wife's injury cost me a waiver spot on the roster. I did play in one game with them in their league games out in Waukegan. I was also at a lot of their games during the season, keeping the scorebook and/or coaching the bases.

I expected to suit up for the Scrubs this fall season, using it more as practice and to show the Red Ropers I want to play for them next year. I was surprised I got the nod this season, but I'm going to take advantage of it.

Unfortunately, I have to break the bad news to the Scrubs.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:24 PM   #3
JeeberD
General Manager

Fucking elitist.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:10 PM   #4
Poli
FOFC Survivor

No kidding, Jeebs.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:58 AM   #5
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I meant to continue the unlimited roster note earlier, but I've been busy.

About half of the Red Roper squad is playing on another team right now. The current Roper team isn't very happy about that. At all. There are still some good ball players on the the team, but almost all of the power in the lineup is now playing on the other team.

It's been almost 48 hours, so we'll see what happens when the dust settles in a few hours. I'm not sure if some of them will return to the Red Roper squad this season or not.

Our first game, as luck would have it, was at spacious Field 2. We joke about drawing straws to see who plays where, but I end up at shortstop eventually. I played shortstop most of the first season last year, but moved to second base and the outfield in the second half last year. The first season this year I played in six different positions for the Scrubs.

We led off the game and it was a circus from the start. I batted 6th, and by the time I got up, there were none out and a runner on first. First pitch is short. The next was there and I foul it back behind the plate. Grondin gets onto me...I got excited to see it and started chopping my feet. Ball outside, and then I hit a groundball to the shortstop, who boots it. Safe at both bases. I later score on a base hit.

I come up again the same inning, with runners at 1st and 3rd, this time with 2 out. First pitch swinging and I hit to second, and the fielder throws it away. I end up at second, and score the final run of the inning. The count, 14-0 going into the bottom of the first.

Bottom of the first, and the first batter hits a ball to me. Off the glove and to the third baseman, but we don't get him out.

Chief Grondin, the pitcher, played for my team in the fall last season, and he jokes that I always make an error in a game, and that he's glad I got it out of me. I tell him I owe him one.

The next batter smokes a line drive that I dive and catch. I sling the ball to first, and get the runner diving back to the bag. I tell Grondin I don't owe him anything now. A few walks later another grounder comes my way. I was going to take the put out myself at second, but the second baseman beat me to the bag. I flip it to him to end the inning. 14-0.

I didn't get to bat in the second, but the lineup swung around to me. I'll leadoff the 3rd.

The only ball that was hit to me here I flipped to second for a force out...but got my second baseman injured in the process when the runner didn't slide. Base rule says the runner has to slide or otherwise get out of the way to protect himself and the fielder. My second baseman is afraid he tore something in his knee. He's done it before, so I'm a little concerned.

3rd inning, and it's a new pitcher. I lead off with a solid double to left center, and later score. I come up again later in the inning and single, picking up an RBI in the process. By the time the inning is over, it's 30-0.

Bottom 3, and I pick up another line drive out and an over the shoulder catch on a blooper. The Ropers joke that I should have played short for them this past season. A fellow St. Louisan calls me Eckstein.

Top 4, and I get up with no one on and 1 out. The first pitch was a bit inside, but the umpire called it a strike. I take a deep breath and forcefully blow it out and shake my head. The umpire responds, "You're up by enough, you need to swing."

I go into protect mode and swing and the next two garbage pitches, fouling both off and head to the dug out...I'm out.

The score going into the bottom of the 4th is 33-0, three outs and we're finished because of the mercy rule. As Grondin comes out of the dugout, I remind him of last year. Last year, we were beating a team by the mercy rule, and Grondin served up junk to the other team. He must have walked 12 that inning. We allowed two grand slams. They end up tieing the game in that inning, and later beat us the next inning, the final inning of the game.

I told Grondin not to be comfortable. In this inning, I take a throw from the second baseman (we subbed the injured man out earlier) for a force to end the game. Final score, 33-1.

A busy game in the field for me.

Final tally: 2-5, with a double. One RBI, 3 runs scored. In the field, 3 putouts, 4 assists, 1 error.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #6
korme
Go Reds

Ardent, where is your original thread?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Additionally, I coach the student softball team for my schoolhouse. There's not much talent here right now. The previous coach, Will, did a lot of work finding players last season. However, about half that squad has since moved to another school. Because our school hours suck (12:30pm to 6:30pm, compared to 6:15am to 12:15am for the next school), it's hard to hold a decent practice before it gets too late in the day. The team some of my students have moved on to can have practice from 2pm until they are tired. It's a better deal for the students, so I can't fault them.

However, I'm still stuck with this squad. The team consists of a few holdovers from last squad. I'm really keeping the squad together for two or three of the kids. Ferrel was the main pitcher last season, but will probably play second or the outfield. Holberg is an older kid (27), who can play ball. He's really good. Meppelink, the other lynchpin to the team, just left for the other team. I can already feel the wheels coming off this wagon.

The biggest cancer to the team are three fleet returning gunners mates. One is very old, one is off the Nimitz, and Taylor. Taylor, the third class petty officer is the best of the bunch, and he plays third. The old man, Denton, pitches. That's so I don't have to ask him to play anywhere else, and why Ferrel moved. Rehfuss, the guy off the Nimitz, is at first because he can do very little damage there. The reason they're a cancer is they really feel they're all stars. All three want to hit in the middle of the lineup, when really only Taylor is a good hitter.

The rest of the team is a mostly bunch of fillers. I think I've found a few more ballplayers with yesterday's practice.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:39 PM   #8
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Ardent, where is your original thread?

No clue, it's probably archived. I'll do a search with my name and threads started.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:49 PM   #9
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Yep, bumped in the archive.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:24 AM   #10
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I played yesterday for the Scrubs at 5:30, on Field 1. Field 1 is a symmetrical field of average size. The wind was blowing in from left field. We played with eight, and I was inserted in as the first baseman. I played a little more to second base, as we played with just three infielders. It was my first game at first base since I was 13 and in little league. I batted 6th in the lineup. We played against NCIC, and I don't know what the acronym is for. Apparently it's a bunch of Navy cops and such. It's also the team I beat with the Red Ropers.

In the field I had 5 putouts, 1 unassisted on a groundball. It was kind of funny on the grounder. The hitter was kind of big, and hit the ball pretty hard to me. I went to a knee to my left and snagged it. I got up thinking it would be rather easy, only to see this guy rumbling hard down the line. I got up, showed him the ball with my right hand, and trotted to the bag. The guy that hurt Jeff in the last game hit me with an elbow as he came across the bag. It made me a little mad, since there's a safety bag he's supposed to run to. Unfortunately the throw was high and I had to jump for it. When I came down I came down on my bag, but on top of it. So I was kind of close to the safety bag.

In the first inning, I came up with no one on and two out. The umpire remembered me from when I had the cast on, and joked with me I couldn't hit without it (I did play a game while I had my cast on). The first pitch was a called strike, it was close enough not to argue. Second pitch was short, and third pitch inside. I stroked the next one up the middle and into center field for a single. I was stranded as our female catcher popped out to short.

The next inning I came up I had runners at second and third. Line drive to left field and I net two RBIs. I take second base on the throw. I'm stranded at second when the female, Weyman, popped out.

Third at bat I had was with the bases loaded and two out. I take a strike that I thought was a little deep. Ball outside. And then my favorite pitch, a ball about midlevel and to the outside. I crush the ball to right field, but the wind snags it and the right fielder makes the catch just a few feet from the fence. To see him catch the ball would tell you he got very lucky. My search for the home run nearly ended. So close and yet so far away. The umpire jokes with me I would have cleared the fence had I had my cast on.

I come up one final time in the bottom of the 5th. Bases empty and one out, I take the first pitch for a strike. The ball went sky high, but came down for a strike. I step out of the box, I have to contest that. I way my hand above my head and say, "come on!" He tells me I need to swing. I told him I wouldn if he would bring the ball down a little. He does, and I take it, and I'm positive I'm getting called out on strikes. He calls a ball. Wow. The next pitch I hit the ball in the right center gap, and trot into second with a double. I joke with the second baseman that the second pitch was a makeup pitch. Weyman walks this time, but the next two batters pop out.

I never score in the game, but we win the game rather easily.

For the game, I was 3-4 with a double. 3 RBIs and no runs scored. No errors in the field.

From there I had to race across the base to get to Field 80H to play for the Red Ropers. I don't make it in time, but it doesn't matter. The Ropers "staff" (by that I mean, the three senior people on the team) are using this season as a tryout of sorts. They tell me not to worry about it because they know I can play. We're getting crushed by CNE (center for naval engineering). We end up losing 11-0, and I watched the game from the stands. There were a lot of players I didn't know on the field. In fact, I only knew 6 of the players on the field.

After that game I went over to Field 2, where my students were wrapping up their game against [gloomy music] Barracks 6301, the team that tries to steal my players[/gloomy music]. I get there in time to see my guys score the winning run in the bottom of the 7th. It sucked that I had just got there, but it was satisfying to beat them for certain.

Looking at my numbers so far, I'm a little surprised I've been batting 6th. I'm more surprised that I haven't walked at all.

Season tally:
9 AB
5 H
2 2B
3 R
4 RBI
----
8 putouts
4 assists
1 error
Old 08-05-2005, 07:32 AM   #11
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Looking at my numbers so far, I'm a little surprised I've been batting 6th. I'm more surprised that I haven't walked at all.

I never walk in Softball. In fact, I rarely see a 2nd pitch. I just don't have the patience to watch a pitch.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:37 AM   #12
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze
I never walk in Softball. In fact, I rarely see a 2nd pitch. I just don't have the patience to watch a pitch.

I batted leadoff or 2nd most of last year, but I was also about 10-15 lbs lighter. I had very few really good shots (I can think of two I hit the fence on the fly). So I was really just hitting singles or walking to get on base for our heavy hitters.

I'm a little heavier and much stronger now, which may explain why I'm looking to swing more now.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:42 AM   #13
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

From your description of the field(s) you play on, I gather you need to jack one about 330 to hit it out (at least on field 2). Does that hold true on other fields? What core ball are you using and what if any restrictions on bats do you have (if you know - not that I do, I know they exist, but I just trust the rest of the team to hand me a legal bat when I go to the on deck circle)?
Old 08-05-2005, 08:00 AM   #14
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Field 2 probably has to go 350 to left or right down the line. I'd guess Field 1 is 280 down the lines and 300 in center. 80H has a short porch in right, but a chain link monster. I'd guess that's 250. Left is about 280ish, but center field goes fairly deep to fill out the "block" I suppose. I'd guess that it's a little deeper than the other two.

As far as the ball, I can't remember it off the top of my head. A few more hard core gamers than I have talked about the ball, but it doesn't come to mind immediately. As for the bats, we're supposed to go with NSA restrictions on base, but it's never enforced. Last year in the first season I saw umpires checking the bats, but I do remember when the next season started that they removed the bat restrictions on base. I'd have to assume that's the case this year/season as well.

I personally have been swinging a Wicked 26 ounce. It feels great when I hit it in the sweet spot, but I don't like the results when I miss that spot. I swung an Orange Crush 28 ounce yesterday. It felt a little heavy at first but I did get good swings.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:35 AM   #15
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

I used an Orange Crush a couple of ABs, but they guy who was demoing it decided it was to end heavy so he didn't purchase it. There were quite a few players on the team that seemed to be under the ball on the ABs, so the end heavy comment might have had some credence.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:49 AM   #16
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I think I liked it. Without the wind blowing in from the left, I'm likely 4-4 with my 1st homerun and 7 RBIs.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:50 AM   #17
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think I liked it. Without the wind blowing in from the left, I'm likely 4-4 with my 1st homerun and 7 RBIs.

That would be enough for me to like it too.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:36 AM   #18
Travis
Pro Rookie

If you happen to spot one (or have a way to get access to it), I'd heavily recommend the Andersen Rocket Teck CK. It is end loaded (feels very much like swinging a baseball bat, one reason I like it so much), but it has outhit any Orange Crush I've tried with a couple of different ball cores (the mushier the bigger the difference). Their other model (Techzilla I believe) has the same sort of reputation, but I haven't been able to get my hands on one to give it a go.

Great stuff btw, I'll definitely be reading!
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:02 AM   #19
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
If you happen to spot one (or have a way to get access to it), I'd heavily recommend the Andersen Rocket Teck CK. It is end loaded (feels very much like swinging a baseball bat, one reason I like it so much), but it has outhit any Orange Crush I've tried with a couple of different ball cores (the mushier the bigger the difference). Their other model (Techzilla I believe) has the same sort of reputation, but I haven't been able to get my hands on one to give it a go.

Great stuff btw, I'll definitely be reading!

Thanks, Travis. I heard about the Rocket while up in Sheboygan, WI, a few weeks ago (before my cast). I was up there for a tournament with the Scrubs and a few other guys from the base. The guy selling it was willing to give a pretty good deal on it to kind of drum up interest in his new store. I had the cash, but I really couldn't part with it at the time. I had recently bought the Wicked I had been swinging for the past couple of months, and couldn't justify another bat. I will probably buy another bat by next season, though.

I may write about what I'm doing in the gym as well. It sucks with this tendonitis. I'm not supposed to lift heavy weight or with high repetitions. I've been in the gym 3 days a week lately instead of the 4-5 days I used to go. The intensity definitely isn't the same either, except when I'm working my legs out. I worked my legs out today, since I won't have a game again until Tuesday. The students will practice Monday night, so I'll get some batting practice in there.

I'll probably spend the weekend here working on my outfield play with Holberg from the student team.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:14 PM   #20
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
I may write about what I'm doing in the gym as well. It sucks with this tendonitis. I'm not supposed to lift heavy weight or with high repetitions. I've been in the gym 3 days a week lately instead of the 4-5 days I used to go. The intensity definitely isn't the same either, except when I'm working my legs out. I worked my legs out today, since I won't have a game again until Tuesday. The students will practice Monday night, so I'll get some batting practice in there.

I'll probably spend the weekend here working on my outfield play with Holberg from the student team.

I'll give it a go on what my workouts consist of.

Fridays are leg days, as I have the weekend to recoop. I started off with leg extensions, and since this is the first day I've worked my legs out since the tendonitis, I went rather light. Slow and steady I did 3 sets of 10 at 60, 70, and 80 pounds.

I then went a little heavier with "steps." Basically, I took 35lb dumbbells and stepped on to a bench and back down. 3 sets of 10 at 35, 40, and 45 lbs. That really wore me out.

Over to leg curls, where I went light again. 3 sets of 10 at 60, 70, and 80 lbs. From that I went to squats. With squats I go a little lighter than most, but I drop my butt all the way to my ankles and explode to the point that I'm on my toes. It's something new I was trying before the tendonitis. After a warm up set, I did 3 sets of 10 at 155, 165, and 175.

I finished the workout with calf raises, where I just took 25 lb dumbbells and did the raises. 2 sets at 40 times.

So, of course this morning my legs are sore. I still got up and ran two miles. I plan to go to the gym in about 2 hours and ride a bike for 30 minutes as well.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:35 AM   #21
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I lifted this morning. As I woke up and started getting ready, I thought I should let you guys know what supplements I'm taking. I used to be skeptical of supplements, but now I believe I just didn't use them properly in the past.

I wake up at 5:15am on lifting days and take two scoops of NO-Xplode by BSN. It's a Nitric Oxide and creatine mix. I usually drink this around 5:30, but today I was reading threads here and took it around 5:40 instead. I also use a Barry Bonds cream...just kidding. I do use a gel called Maxoderm-HfR. It's a nitric oxide gel and after you apply it to the skin the muscle beneath it gets warm pretty quickly. I don't know about the claims it has on the tube...but I do know I like that warm feeling as I hit the gym on the muscles I plan to work, and I got two free tubes of it while working at GNC. By the way, it claims to help "obtain lean muscular look, improve vascular appearance, decrease recuperation time, and stimulats hard flex ratio (HfR).

At the gym this focused on chest and triceps. I usually go in around 6-6:15 in the morning to avoid the student flow in the gym...but today I was a little out of luck. A class of students were in there. It probably wouldn't be so bad if they were actually lifting, but about half of them stand around or sit on the bikes and watch TV.

I grabbed a bench and 30 lb dumbbells and did a warm up set for a dumbbell bench press. After that I lifted 40, 45, and 50 ten times. On to the incline, and I go a little lighter with this. I go even lighter since the set of 50 on the regular bench kind of took it out of me. I start with 30s, and move on to 35 and 40, each 10 times.

Next is the fly, and I usually use a machine on it. I can focus more on pinching the weight and my chest at the end of it, and I don't have to worry about cheating on the machine. With free weights I could use 10 lb dumbbells and I'll cheat on the flys. I can't seem to keep my arms out on those. 3 sets of 10 at 50, 60, and 70 lbs.

I let out a small cheer inside my head before the set of 70. The students are leaving, and the gym is mine, as it rightfully should be.

On to the tricep work. I really should hit these harder than I do, but I struggle trying to find a 3rd exercise I like to do. I use french press and cable pulldowns, but I don't really like skull crushers or dips. I first injured (or noticed the injury) my wrist on dips, and I'm very leary to go back to it.

French pressing is fun. I enjoy seeing that dumbbell go over my head, and I enjoy yanking the weight up and bringing it down like I'm chopping wood. I started with 35, and went to 40 and 45, 10 times each.

Cable pulldowns with the rope were next, and I started with 50 and moved to 60. I figured 70 to be a little too hard, but the 5 lb add on is never around in this gym, so I try 70 anyway. After about three, my left shoulder does it's Rice Krispie imitation (snap, crackle, pop), and that's enough. I drop it to 60 and finish it out. Each set 10 times.

Needing one more exercise, I try out the dips. I'm still fearful of it. I did two sets of 5 and called it a day.

When I got back here to the room, I took NO2, and shortly thereafter, CE2. Both products are by MRI, and are pill form. I'm about out of NO2, and I really can't afford to buy more right now. NO, of course, stands for Nitric Oxide, while CE stands for Creatine-Ester.

I'll be coaching my student flag football practice in about 45 minutes, and I'd really like to get some breakfast in before then. I'll probably eat some Total Protein cereal, but that's like eating chalk, not that I'd know.

After the student practice, I'll probably have a protein shake. I prefer Muscle Milk, and I'm about to run out of it. I have backup supplies for protein shakes, so I'm not worried there.

Finally, after work we'll have student softball practice. I'll get some fielding and BP out of that. I'd like to incorporate some sprint work in here somehow. I'll have to think of something.

Time to get the room inspection ready. Questions and/or comments are always welcome.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #22
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I woke up yesterday with some pain in my left rotator cup from the snap, crackle, pop action the day before. I contemplated not working out, and my roommate discouraged me from doing so as well. He's a hospital corpsman, so I should listen to him, but I didn't. Instead, I rubbed some maxoderm HfR on it, which got it nice and toasty.

In the gym, I worked out my shoulders and biceps. Shoulders came first, since I wanted that maxoderm to dull the pain. Shoulder press at 60, 70, and 80 lbs, ten times each. My shoulder felt okay as well, so that was good. In fact, it didn't really bother me while I was working out, though I could tell something wasn't quite right.

Next is an exercise I picked up out of Muscle Fitness. Basically you sit on an incline bench, and lower weight down near your stomach, and then raise it back up. Your arms are straight the entire time, and you can't rest the weight as you go down. I like it because I feel it in my shoulders and in my chest as well, especially when I lower the weight and try to hold it up. Unfortunately, I can't do much with it right now. I did 15lb dumbbells twice, and 20lbs once, each 10 times. Upright dumbbell row was next, and I lifted 20, 25, and 30 10 times each. Normally, I lift more, but with my shoulder a concern, I went a little lighter.

Biceps were next. Dumbbell bicep curls first, 20 two times and 25, 10 times each.

I'm saving this...power is going out. I'll add more later.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:33 AM   #23
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
I'm saving this...power is going out. I'll add more later.

Sorry, I was writing this at work yesterday. The AC went out, and then the overhead lighting went out as well. Shortly thereafter, we were sent home. I spent the most of the remaining day at football and softball practice.

I think the students on the football team realize I can play now. It's the first time I've played with/against them.

Biceps. I should note that the dumbbell curls I wrote in yesterday were alternating. After the dumbbell curls I went to a machine and did bicep curls at 50, 60, and 70 lbs. Of course, each set was 10 repetitions. I knocked off with two arm dumbbell curls. Two sets of 20 and one of 25, 10 times each.

Football practice was a little screwy. We had to move off the field since the MWR (morale, welfare, and recreation...the "company" that runs the leagues we play in) crew was chalking the football fields. The football fields are on Field 2, which means we won't be playing softball there next week, thank goodness. We moved over to Field 1, but only half the team was there. Turns out half the team was stuck in their barracks due to an awards ceremony on the quarterdeck. The quarterdeck is where people enter and exit the barracks. So, we played some 5 on 5 until they showed. We ended up not stretching and going straight into practice. The offense looked pretty horrible. We put a lot of balls on the ground on our pitches. They did a little running because of that. We'll work on pitching today.

Softball that night was less than interesting. I played with the Scrubs, since the Red Ropers are not playing this week. The game was on Field 2, which looks like the last time I'll play there. The Scrubs, after playing with 8 last week, had 18 (!) show up for the game. I sat the bench for the first 3 innings, and then entered in the game at right center. Playing very deep against a power hitter that inning, he blooped one in front of me. I charged it trying to get to it and got it on a bounce. Crow hop, bam. I'm looking to string him out at first. That friggin first baseman is busy playing tic tac friggin toe in the dirt. He's not even looking at me. He was looking at the friggin dirt! UGH! The next batter hit one to left center and I end up with the ball backing the left centerfielder up. I throw it in, nearly getting the batter at second.

I'm moved to first base after that inning, to my surprise. I end up making two putouts, one unassisted, over two innings. I ended up batting in the fifth inning, fouling a pitch straight back and taking a ball deep. I then flied out to left center...a routine fly ball. I would not get another chance to hit after that. Scrubs lose, by the run rule, to CNE. Heck, at least they scored.

Season tally:
10 AB
5 H
2 2B
3 R
4 RBI
----
10 putouts
4 assists
1 error
Old 08-11-2005, 07:46 AM   #24
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Yesterday was actually a day off in the gym, and it felt good to have a day of rest. My left rotator cuff actually felt great as well. No football practice due to the schoolhouse, but we ended up playing some as I mentioned earlier.

From there I had some fruit punch before moving into softball practice. I never changed into my cleats, so I tried to stay off the field to keep my shoes somewhat clean. The students taunted me enough eventually, and I went out to hit at the end of practice. I took 10 cuts...opening my stance very wide for two so I could wear out my third baseman. I got it past him once, but rolled the other to him. Two line drives up the middle, three routine flies to left, and a crushed shot to right center and out of Field 1. What a way to end practice. Now if I could only do that in the game.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:09 PM   #25
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Today's workout was good. Back and abdominals. I started with an upright row, and worked a couple of pullups in between sets. 110, 120, 130...each 10 times each. I'll increase the weights next week.

Afterward, I went to a rear lat pulldown. I get a little tired at the end of these, so I started at 100, and increased to 110 and 120. Each set was 10 reps. Dumbbell pullovers were next, and I started with 35 and moved on to 40 and 45. Again 10 times.

Finally, back extensions. No weight the first time, 20 times. 25lbs the next time, and 10 times. For the last set, I did 35lbs, 10 times.

At that point, I left the gym as I usually do ab work in the room.

Ab work is usually fairly routine for me. 2 sets of crunches, 50 times, followed by 25 to each side. 50 flutterkicks and 50 bicycle kicks after that, and then finally I bring out that friggin ab wheel. I usually am worn down, and do two sets of 10.

It was raining during football practice and I expected subpar effort, but I actually got good work out of the kids. We ran through most of the plays fairly effectively.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:41 PM   #26
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Finally, a softball update. I had a game today with the Scrubs against the Marines. We played with 9 this time...this is just too funny. I end up in...centerfield. Wow. I make 5 catches, and a worn out arm by the time it's said and done.

At the bat, I had two line drives, right at the left and right centerfielders. I also had a routine fly out to right after hitting a line drive down the right field line, just foul.

Season tally:
13 AB
5 H
2 2B
3 R
4 RBI
----
15 putouts
4 assists
1 error
Old 08-12-2005, 09:25 AM   #27
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Leg day today. Had to hurry it up as I'm on a compressed schedule. I'm driving down to Missouri today. Leg extensions at 60, 70 and 80. Steps again at 35, 40 and 45. Leg curls I went heavier, and I could feel it. This time I went 70, 80, 90. I skipped squats to speed me up, though now I wish I hadn't. Quite honestly, though, I needed to skip them to get to work on time. Calf raises with 25s and I headed out.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:42 PM   #28
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I did some ab stuff, the typical stuff, on Saturday while my wife was asleep.

Monday rolled around, and because I'm in Naval Leadership school for the next two weeks, I wasn't able to work out in the morning. Instead, I hit the gym around 1pm. It wasn't really busy, but started to pick up as I left.

I switched the chest routine slightly and worked incline first this time. 40, 45, and 50 each ten times. On to a regular bench, but this time 50 was too much. This is most likely to the heavy lifting I did on the incline. In fact, I asked someone to spot me on the set of 50, only to still have a dumbbell fall and land on my chest on the 6th rep. That's all she wrote there. On to the fly, and this time with dumbbells. Even with light weight, I could tell I was cheating. 15, 20, and 25s, each 10x.

Tricep time, and I started with French press. 35, 40, 45. I then went to tricep extension, starting at 60, 70, and 80. I then turned around and attached a rope to the cable and pulled the weight over my head. 70, 80, and 80...as I was getting really tired at that point.

In fact, both my chest and tris feel a little swollen today.

Football games last night as well. For the staff team, I caught 2 passes for about 10 yards total, and dropped an underthrown bomb. I couldn't turn around enough to get to the ball, and it ends up on my shoulder. A blown chance at a touchdown.

The staff team finished with a tie, 8-8.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:03 PM   #29
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Today's workout was shoulders. I've been trying to work my shoulders a lot more lately since my throwing shoulder gets tired quickly and the other shoulder has been hurting since last Monday.

I started off with a machine shoulder press. 80, 90, 100. I went with dumbbell shrugs next, with 30, 35, 40. From there I did alternating dumbbell presses, 20, 20, and 25. Dumbbell raises; 10, 15, 20. Dumbbell side raises; 10; 12.5; 15. Finally Arnold presses; 20, 20, and 25.

Out of the gym and to the softball field.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:25 PM   #30
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The student team took Field 1 against undefeated CNE. We took the lead going into the top of the 6th, but we allowed 3 and CNE took the momentum. We went scoreless in the bottom half of the inning.

We shut them down in the top of the 7th. With the bottom of the lineup up and down 2, I had little faith that we'd win against CNE. Bloop. Bloop. My bottom two guys were on! Lineout to short, one down. Next man up, groundball short. Two down, but the first baseman throws the ball into left field. One run scores. We're down by 1, with a runner on 3rd. Groundball short, and he throws it away. Runner to second base, and we're tied.

Next man up singles to short left, and I can't send the runner. 1st and 3rd, 2 down, tie game...and my cleanup man is up. The cleanup man, who at the bottom of the 6th asked me to take him out of the game because he was having a bad game. Bloop! A soft fly ball to left falls in! We win! We improve to 3-2 if my math is right.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:35 PM   #31
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The Red Roper game was next, and I end up hitting last and playing short, my first game at short since I last played for the Ropers a few weeks ago. We play the Snipes, the engineering student team.

In the field I booted two balls. Nothing really I can say about them. One spun out of the glove, another handcuffed me...it was just hit too hard. I did make 5 putouts and 2 assists on the field as well.

At the bat, I went 2 for 3. I hit a nice shot the first time up, a line drive the blasted shortstop dove up the middle for, and somehow caught. Man, I still don't know how he got it. The next at bat I swear I hit the ball to the same spot, this time for a base hit. I score two batters later from second base.

Third at bat I hit a line drive to left, but the female on third got caught in a run down at home. Yes, she did not score from third base on a base hit to left. Grumble, grumble, grumble. Two batters later I head to the dugout.

We end up losing by 4.

Season tally:
16 AB
7 H
2 2B
4 R
4 RBI
----
20 putouts
6 assists
3 errors
Old 08-18-2005, 10:01 PM   #32
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Today's workout was back and biceps...and seeing as I knew I had two games tonight I went light.

I started with seated cable rows. 100, 120, and 140. After that I did bicep curls on a machine. 50, 60, and 70. Over to lat pulldown...100, 110, 120. Finally, hammer curls at 20, 25, and 30.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:09 PM   #33
Poli
FOFC Survivor

My student team played at 80H against the Marines. Unfortunately, they lost by 3.

Immediately thereafter, I played for the Scrubs. I played first, and made 5 putouts, 1 unassisted. No errors, thankfully.

I batted fifth, and couldn't help but think about right field and that short porch. I hit a line drive in my first at bat, scoring a run in the process, but was stranded at first.

My next at bat I tried to hit over the fence to right, only to fly out to right. Dang it.

Third at bat was a single up the middle...this time on the ground. I was leading off the inning, and would eventually be stranded at third.

Final at bat, bases loaded and no one out. All I can think is right field, but the darn coach tells me to beat it into the ground. I did, and very hard, but the pitcher stuck his glove out and got it. Force out at home. Two batters later, I'm forced at second.

We would go on to win the game.

I drove over to Field 1, where I was a little late but inserted at catcher and batting last. No plays of consequence to me in the game.

At bat, I grounded out to short in the 2nd inning. In the fourth I hit a double, scoring two. I would score on the next batter's hit.

My final at bat was a routine fly out to left center.

Season tally:
23 AB
10 H
3 2B
5 R
7 RBI
----
25 putouts
6 assists
3 errors