Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-26-2003, 10:22 PM   #1
mckerney
Coordinator

I think I may have just become a Pistons fan...

26(55) Minnesota - Rick Rickert 6-11 So PF Minnesota

Why, oh why did they have to do this? This is one of those awful things that a sport franchise is not supposed to do.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:52 PM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

Who are his parents? Rick Ricket Sr. and Rickie Rickert? What the fuck is wrong with parents!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:55 PM   #3
Scholes
High School Varsity

I, while not a basketball fan in the least bit, have now become even less of a fan, if that's even possible. I can't believe A. That Rickert even went into the draft and B. That the Timberwolves chose him.

Wow. Words can't describe the way I feel about the Timberwolves right now.

Let's go Minnesota Wild.
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:58 PM   #4
mckerney
Coordinator

The better question is what the fuck is wrong with him? Though I guess the Timberwolves picking him goes along with all that they've done in the past. Essential causing a lockout, signing Joe Smith to an illegal contract, getting caught, resigning Joe Smith, trading for Terrell Brandon, giving Wally a huge extension, and now taking him, even in the second round is unacceptable. I'm not for changing team alliegences without good reason, though with all the management has put fans through in the last few years, this on top of everything makes it real hard to be a fan and support this team. I was talking to a friend of mine during the draft and we were both pissed off about it, and as he put it "Why not be a fan of a respectable team?"
Old 06-26-2003, 11:01 PM   #5
mckerney
Coordinator

Dola:

Quote:
Originally posted by Scholes
I, while not a basketball fan in the least bit, have now become even less of a fan, if that's even possible. I can't believe A. That Rickert even went into the draft and B. That the Timberwolves chose him.

Wow. Words can't describe the way I feel about the Timberwolves right now.

Let's go Minnesota Wild.

The amazing thing is that I'm actually less a fan of Rickert right now than I am of the Timberwolves. It's actually a good thing for the Gophers that he's gone, hell, I wish he'd gone to Arizona.

He was one of the main creators of the motto for the Gopher basketball team, which was, "OHHH!!! OHHHHH!!!! I'm open for a three!!!"
Old 06-26-2003, 11:07 PM   #6
ctmason
High School JV

Who is Rick Rickert and what has he done that is so bad?
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:15 PM   #7
mckerney
Coordinator

His performance last year for the Gophers. Although he was listed as a 'power' forward, he would almost never go inside, prefering to be a 6'11" player who shoots from the perimiter. When he actually did go inside he's usually get shutdown. He was talented, though it usually didn't mean dick for him.

And with all that he thought he was ready for the NBA after his sophomore year, which should actually end up helping the Gophers being able to put someone else in there who can hopefully get the job done.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:33 PM   #8
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I'm guessing they hope drafting Rickert will help sell a few more tickets. If anything that would backfire, he's going to be a major target sitting at the end of the bench. Hard to get to upset about the pick though, your odds of getting a useful player that late are pretty slim. Have the Twolves ever had a productive second rounder even?
Old 06-26-2003, 11:42 PM   #9
mckerney
Coordinator

I know that there's little chance of getting a good player in the second round, though you're taking a player that more than likely 2/3 of your fan base hates and views as a joke. Plus, there is still a chance you can get someone good in the 2nd, hell Chris Marcus was available, who could return to form where he was considered a top 5 pick, though Rickert's a give up pick. That with everything else they've done, not a real good run for the management to say the least.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:56 PM   #10
rexallllsc
Banned

I can't believe he stayed in the draft.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 12:01 AM   #11
mckerney
Coordinator

Neither can I, though I'm glad he was. Now I won't have to watch him at The Barn this year. Humpries may not be ready, though he'll be a welcomed started next season.