Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread

Basketball is back!

Anyone want to make any grand proclamations one quarter into the season?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Made 5 team total bets

Jazz +49.5
Pistons +38.5
Kings -25.5
Bucks +47.5
Nets +32.5

Also did a 5 lef parlay for division winners- Warriors, Rockets, Celtics, Bucks, Jazz for 11-1 odds.

Thoughts?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:39 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Mrs Steve-

“Why are the guys on the Thunder all wearing Jeggings?”
“I didn’t know Jason mamoa(Steven Adams) played basketball”
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:46 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I love Larry nance Jr, but isn’t 45/4 super excessive. He’s ok, but cmon.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:14 AM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Maybe not entirely awful under the circumstances.

If (as it would appear) he's viewed a someone they want to have as part of their core for the next several years -- and he's a guy making the right noises about wanting to be there as well -- then locking him up seems to make reasonable sense.

I'm not sure the same $10m gets anything better there for a while, not until Sexton develops more & there's more reason to be there than simply drawing a paycheck.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:15 AM   #6
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Frontloaded (a.k.a. more tradeable) contract, and it's only like $1.4m above the mid-level exception.

More interestingly, Orlando also did the same with Aaron Gordon.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:21 AM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess I forgot the MLE was that high now.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If we’re reliving the cavs 80s glory years, I wish we had Wardell Curry, Jr instead of Larry Nance, Jr. lol.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
miami_fan
Coordinator

Mo Bamba went 6-8 last night and there may have been only one play run for him the whole night. That is a good sign for the Magic.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-18-2018, 11:03 AM   #10
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Suns are atleast going to be fun to watch this year. With Ayton and Booker running their pick-n-roll, guys like Ariza, Josh Jackson, TJ Warren and Ryan Anderson are going to see a lot of open shots (those 4 went 11-18 from 3 last night). Doncic didn't look quite as polished as Ayton - but it may be the position. Luka also really struggled to hit shots (10 points on 16 shots), but he did flash some exciting plays.

Last edited by Arles : 10-18-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dennis Smith Jr sucks and will kill Doncic. Seemed like good things happened when Luka was allowed to make splays. Instead pounding dribbles by Smith and off balance shit shots by Matthews.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #12
miami_fan
Coordinator

G League to offer 'professional path' to elite prospects not wanting to go to one-and-done route with NCAA

Or just get rid of the one and done rule and make the G-League a place where young players (and coaches btw) can actually develop their skills as opposed to the halfway house that this is the current perception of the G-League?
Old 10-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Paying HS kids roughly 4x what the typical G-League player makes otherwise, players that are often enough feeling the pressure of possibly their last best big chance to "make it".

What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

edit to add: FTR, I'm all for ending the one-and-done mess but that's a different subject that the one I raised above.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-18-2018 at 04:08 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #14
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Dennis Smith Jr sucks and will kill Doncic. Seemed like good things happened when Luka was allowed to make splays. Instead pounding dribbles by Smith and off balance shit shots by Matthews.

The lack of firepower surrounding Doncic is going to make it tough for him, I think. Mavs have a lot of pieces that would mesh well on great teams as role players, but minus the big name stars to lead them in Dallas.

I thought Smith Jr got himself into some fantastic scoring opportunities around the basket but just couldn't connect. Not convinced his ceiling is beyond a sparkplug off the bench.

For the Suns, Ayton looked nice, but if anything I think he still needs to be more aggressive in the post. He has nice touch and should be looking to score every time he gets the ball in the post... I secretly yearn for the days of back to the basket/low-post scorers in the NBA, and Ayton gave me a little hope of that, mixed with the ability to also play the pick and roll and keep up with guys defensively. I feel like he could be who I thought KAT would be.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #15
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Paying HS kids roughly 4x what the typical G-League player makes otherwise, players that are often enough feeling the pressure of possibly their last best big chance to "make it".

What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Good point, going to paint a huge target on their backs.

I've mentioned this before, but here in Australia our national league has created a program to target these kids as well. They don't count towards a team's import limit (3), and the league I believe contributes some of the contract. Terrance Ferguson of OKC was the first player to go through the program, with Brian Bowen now the 2nd.

IMO it's maybe a better situation than G-League because Australia is culturally similar enough to not be a China-sized culture shock, they aren't targeted like they would be in the US (almost the opposite), and they get to play in a more structured environment where guys aren't just looking to earn NBA deals. Bowen has looked 5x better than Ferguson did so far, and I'm interested to see if the GLeague change kills this off altogether or if it remains an alternative.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hate the loosened sneaker rules.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That other german guy on the Mavs looked solid, hit a few shots I think. Mavs would be an interesting spot for Butler.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:10 AM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Free Boban

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #19
miami_fan
Coordinator

Is there a player in the NBA who can least afford to miss his team's season opener with a pain in the ass than pain in the ass Dwight Howard?
Old 10-21-2018, 12:49 AM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

When you make the Lakers look (at worst) no less likable than you, that's a fairly significant bar to clear, congrats on that Rockets.

-- No, I don't know wth Ingram's initial push was about. Either there's something missing or he just had a brainlocked idiot moment
-- Very bad look for CP here (unless his apparent spitting claim is proven out, then I'll reassess)
-- Melo looks like a tiresome joke past his expiration date here
-- Stephenson as the seeming voice of reason? What has the world come to?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-21-2018 at 12:49 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #21
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
When you make the Lakers look (at worst) no less likable than you, that's a fairly significant bar to clear, congrats on that Rockets.

-- No, I don't know wth Ingram's initial push was about. Either there's something missing or he just had a brainlocked idiot moment
-- Very bad look for CP here (unless his apparent spitting claim is proven out, then I'll reassess)
-- Melo looks like a tiresome joke past his expiration date here
-- Stephenson as the seeming voice of reason? What has the world come to?

Well he definitely spit.

Spoiler

Last edited by Atocep : 10-21-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #22
Calis
College Starter

Yeah watching it live I didn't buy the spit but hard to argue that now. Rondo definitely tried his best to be subtle with it though.

I think Ingram's tantrum was frustration with Harden being Harden. Also his punch in the main fracas was something else. Seeing a 7 foot twig of an arm launching at someone.

I did enjoy further Harden being Harden that while the melee is going on he's at the free throw waiting for his free throws(yes I know he already had a tech).

Last edited by Calis : 10-21-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Well he definitely spit.

Fair enough, that angle wasn't available anywhere in the early aftermath afaik.

With new evidence, I retract my criticism of CP.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #24
Groundhog
Coordinator

Punishments are lighter than I expected.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #25
bhlloy
Coordinator

How can you possibly say that Rondo spat and only give him a game more than Paul? The rest feels about right but that number has no base in reality.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #26
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
How can you possibly say that Rondo spat and only give him a game more than Paul? The rest feels about right but that number has no base in reality.

I expected Rondo to get 5-7 games.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:27 PM   #27
miami_fan
Coordinator

Patrick Beverly is the perfect player for the Rockets to have to play after the skirmish last night
Old 10-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #28
korme
Go Reds

Every once in a while, Steph likes to remind us that he's the most entertaining athlete in the world.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #29
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Every once in a while, Steph likes to remind us that he's the most entertaining athlete in the world.

To be honest, I find it kind of boring now. On the plus side though it encourages the Filipino guards with the Curry jerseys in my Tuesday night social comp to keep chucking up bad contested threes.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:49 PM   #30
miami_fan
Coordinator

Houston Rockets offer Wolves four first-round draft picks for Jimmy Butler
Old 10-25-2018, 09:06 PM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Gordon and 4 first rounders would be a good return.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:15 PM   #32
Groundhog
Coordinator

Not so sure. Assuming Minny thinks KAT and Wiggins are their long-term building blocks, I don't think 1st rounders from Houston is the way to go. Better off getting someone who can help right now, instead of a few late 1st round picks the next couple of years and then hope Houston bottoms out following the CP3/Harden era.

Last edited by Groundhog : 10-25-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:24 PM   #33
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Eric Gordon is pretty good
Old 10-25-2018, 10:13 PM   #34
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
To be honest, I find it kind of boring now. On the plus side though it encourages the Filipino guards with the Curry jerseys in my Tuesday night social comp to keep chucking up bad contested threes.

Damn. I am absolutely biased, but I do not think I will ever tire of watching a shooter just go off like he can. Combine that with some of his dribbling skills? Damn.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:44 PM   #35
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Damn. I am absolutely biased, but I do not think I will ever tire of watching a shooter just go off like he can. Combine that with some of his dribbling skills? Damn.

If I were a Warriors fan no doubt I'd be with you.

His dribbling and his touch on drives are amazing to watch. His shooting is otherworldly, but I guess I'm burnt out on the heavy emphasis on 3pt shooting more so than Steph per se. He's the greatest shooter of all time, no question.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:05 AM   #36
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm sort of in the middle there. I miss the times when offense and defense were balanced in the NBA. Steph is amazing, and I'm not a hater - I just don't like the fact that it's so easy(relatively) to score from 3-point range that post players are all but obsolete and that it's all about scoring now. I remember when blocks and steals in the All-Star game were cheered as much as the passes and dunks. That time is long passed, and so for the most part is my NBA fandom.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:02 AM   #37
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I'm sort of in the middle there. I miss the times when offense and defense were balanced in the NBA. Steph is amazing, and I'm not a hater - I just don't like the fact that it's so easy(relatively) to score from 3-point range that post players are all but obsolete and that it's all about scoring now. I remember when blocks and steals in the All-Star game were cheered as much as the passes and dunks. That time is long passed, and so for the most part is my NBA fandom.

I am still a huge fan of the NBA but I am right there with you on the three point revolution, the lack of post play and the de-emphasis on defense in the game. This has become my feeling towards all of sports. I am okay with the rule changes making things a bit easier for guys like Steph Curry to reach his levels. I will be out when they make rules changes to make things easier for guys like Tyler Johnson to reach Steph Curry levels.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:49 AM   #38
miami_fan
Coordinator

Cavaliers fire coach Tyronn Lue after 0-6 start

Shouldn’t the Cavs have figured out whether Lue would play the kids the day after LeBron left? I hope ownership has Drew’s back when (not if) JR and Tristan show their ass after being benched.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:16 AM   #39
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT US TO DO!?!?
Old 10-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #40
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Shouldn’t the Cavs have figured out whether Lue would play the kids the day after LeBron left? I hope ownership has Drew’s back when (not if) JR and Tristan show their ass after being benched.

I wonder if Tristan still thinks they're the team to beat in the East.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #41
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Fucking stupid but it's a fucking stupid organization so
Old 10-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #42
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I wonder if Tristan still thinks they're the team to beat in the East.

Yes, the team everyone beats
Old 10-28-2018, 05:17 PM   #43
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
WHAT DO YOU EXPECT US TO DO!?!?

Fun fact: Not my social comp, but I played some pickup games yesterday at the same gym and the very guy I had in mind with the Curry jersey (although to be fair not wearing a Curry jersey at the time) hit about 10 threes over a handful of scrimmages.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:26 PM   #44
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

All the LeBron-era vets need to be shown the door. Throw Sexton out there for 36 minutes and see what we've got with him, while Clarkson shoots as much as he likes with Nance out there for the highlights, and shoot for that #1 pick. Would probably be no less fun to watch than Tristan Thompson shooting 10 shots in a half.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:00 PM   #45
miami_fan
Coordinator

I agree with you Groundhog. However, upon taking a closer look at the lineup, outside of Osman and Sexton, umm who are the young guys they are supposed to be taking a serious look at? Or are they looking to give the guys that they got mid-season last year a season long look?
Old 10-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #46
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The Nets are gonna be a tough out this year. Kenny Atkinson is easily one of the best coaches in the game, shame they don't have a lot of talent, but the back court looks great and Allen is developing nicely. He will probably get fired because the team won't win much in the next few years, but he will land somewhere else with talent and be a superstar.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:18 PM   #47
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I agree with you Groundhog. However, upon taking a closer look at the lineup, outside of Osman and Sexton, umm who are the young guys they are supposed to be taking a serious look at? Or are they looking to give the guys that they got mid-season last year a season long look?

Osman, Sexton, and Zizic is it, really... Dekker at a stretch. I feel like Clarkson/Hood/Nance Jr are who I think they are already.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #48
miami_fan
Coordinator

We now must enact a ban of all tribute videos. The Clippers have ruined it for everybody!

Old 10-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #49
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Fucking stupid but it's a fucking stupid organization so

Not looking to pick on the Cavs but from an ESPN article today

Quote:
Top assistant Larry Drew, who was expected to take over after Cleveland fired Tyronn Lue, said Monday he is not the team's interim coach but is merely "the voice right now" as the Cavs prepare to host Atlanta.

Again, don't you figure this out before you actually fire the HC? I undertstand not wanting to go behind Lue's back and really negotiate a contract with Drew but this is just silly.A voice?
Old 10-29-2018, 05:10 PM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Again, don't you figure this out before you actually fire the HC? I undertstand not wanting to go behind Lue's back and really negotiate a contract with Drew but this is just silly.A voice?

I saw a story (same one?) mention that Drew wasn't really interested in an interim title, that he wanted a multi-year deal up front or might not take the job. So he could potentially be a VERY short-term (unofficial) interim.

I mean, SOMEbody has to be technically in charge, right?