Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #51
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha(9-5-14, 12th) vs. Lousada(12-7-9, 7th), 4.23.11
Strong Wind, 62
Odds: 7-1, 3-1, 1-3

Braganca will be visiting Chaves, but they will be home for their final game while we visit champion U. Madeira. So we need a win today, against a squad that blanked us 2-0 in the previous meeting. If we fail to win, it's very unlikely that we will avoid relegation. Simple as that. A windy day could play havoc with players judging the ball and create chaos on the pitch. Both teams are pretty healthy, one player out on each side. So here we make our stand. Morale is only decent, making it even more imperative to get off to a strong start.

Last time it was a very defensive struggle and I'm expecting the same here. Likely our season comes down to who takes advantadge of a few openings today. Just 25 seconds in we get the first break. An exceptionally rare header by Coronel off a free kick is directed straight downfield, Santos runs onto it ... and his shot is well high and wide left. No, that's not what I had in mind. Excellent opportunity there to go for the jugular right away, and we fumble it. A succession of three consecutive corners in the early going all go begging as well.

We stay persistently on the attack through the first 15 minutes(78% possession), allow no shots, but get no more opportunities ourselves either. Lousada scores most of their goals out of the gate, so the fact that we are dominating the action is a great sign. Meanwhile, no scores yet in the other games that concern is either. In the 17th, they get their first real attack, dangerous cross mid-area, but Carmo is there in time and clears it. A corner in the 19th minute, right in front at the edge of the box, and Estrela comes flying it with a diving header, hits it hard and right at the keepers feet who just gets down in time to block it away. Only thing wrong with that was a little bit of direction would have scored it. They clear it out.

We get a couple of good passes into the area to free a striker in the next several minutes, but both are just a little hard and their keepers covers them up. More of the same continues. 30 minutes in we're up in shots 4-0, still up in possession though not as much, but no scores. Meanwhile, Pontassolense has gone up 2-0 on U.Madeira in the first half of their game. I guess Madeira has decided to stop trying now that they've clinched? If they hold on to that lead, they are very much still in the race.

The next couple of minutes are very eventful. Two key plays by Carmo break up promising attacks by Lousada, and then we go back the other way. Coronel gets by his man and uses his speed to move in on goal, letting one fly from just outside the area. It starts right and bends back in, but not enough, hitting the netting on the side just past the post. A good attempt, but maybe a little cuter than he needed to be. That's our third good shot at it today, and we've still come up empty. We come back again a minute later, and after some deflections, Santos gets a shot from the right side angle blocked, it comes to Nelio, he crosses, and there's a little too much space between Coronel and the defenders, no more than ten yards out. Coronel blasts it by the keeper, no chance for them to react. It's in, and we are in front finally, 1-0!

Lousada switches to an attacking style, though they do not change their formation. After they break up a run by Coronel before he can get off a shot, they come back at us, Decio falls on the far side, and they use the space to put a cross right in front, inside the box -- should have been a goal -- but it's headed well wide and out. Their first shot on goal, and wow did they ever blow it. That was an absolute gift. In the 41st, Reis goes down at midfield and has to come out. So our makeshift right-back, Ze Pedro(remember him?) comes on. Right away, Santos finds a hole for Coronel, who moves in again, but the keeper makes a diving block save. The ball is loose and the keeper is out and on the ground, but a defender gets there a step before Decio. We get it back, Dinarte beats his man up the gut, leads into the area and Santos runs onto it ... and they trip him! Obvious penalty, and it's called! Dinarte lines up, converts easily, and there's some insurance with a 2-0 lead!!

Good half across the board, and while Pontassolense still leads U. Madeira 2-0, Chaves has gone up 1-0 on Braganca with a late goal in the 44th minute. If all those scores hold, Braganca will be relegated and we'll have a definite edge on the last day against Pontassolense. But lots of football left to play today first, we need another good half.

A nearly instantaneous yellow on Lousada intensifies their misery. 50th minute, a little chaos in their end. We get a little off-center, and Nelio drifts towards the center. They give him space, and he penetrates, taking two defenders with him, they poke it away, but it floats in the middle just inside the area, and guess who's fastest to the ball? Coronel gets to it, and puts it past the diving keeper and a hair inside the right post for his second tally of the game! 3-0, and this is all but over. They get a sharp-angle shot a couple minutes later, it's wide but a little too close for comfort. It soons become obvious they've decided to thrown anything they can get their feet on at goal, instead of patiently working for a good shot. That philosophy bears itself out in the completely wild inaccuracy of their attempts, but they are contesting possession a lot more, and we aren't pressing as much.

A minor injury to Nelio(pulled for Sanchez to avoid complications) and another yellow card for Lousada keep the action coming, and just before the 60th minute Adriano has to cover up a dangerous forward pass, just in time. The scoreboard shows Pontassolense still in front 2-0, while Braganca equalized with Chavez three minutes into the second half, 1-1 there.

Coronel's speed is causing them all kinds of problems. He had another excellent chance, along with the runs they've barely broken up, when he was able to draw the keeper wide and move past him for a narrow-angle chance at a basically open net, which he put into the side. Almost got the hat-trick on that one. A near-score by Estrela on a corner header was deflected off the line at the last instant in the 70th minute, we've just put them in constant jeopardy all game long. And they pick up yet another yellow.

At 75, we're still in command and nothing has changed elsewhere. The finish is boring, which is exactly the way I want it. We dominate this game, taking total shots 14-6 and on-target efforts 6-0. Clear chances are 5-1, I don't think we've ever had that many. Certainly not often.

Andorinha 3 : 0 Lousada

Best 3: Coronel(8.8), Santos(7.9), Estrela(7.8)
Worst 3: Sanchez(6.5), Adriano(6.8), 4 tied with 6.9

Attendance: 146.

Coronel was the obvious man of the match.

Braganca and Pontassolense hold on for a draw and a win respectively, which means the final verdict will not be in until the final day:

Andorinha(35 pts)
-----------------
Pontassolense(33 pts)
Braganca(33 pts)

We need a draw or better to guarantee staying up. If we lose, and either of the other squads win, they will stay up and we will be relegated.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-26-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #52
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

U. Madeira(18-5-6, 1st) vs. Andorinha(10-5-14, 12th), 4.30.11
Dry, 53
Odds: 1-6, 5-1, 10-1

And here we go. Elsewhere, Braganca hosts Tirsense, while Pontalossense will visit Riberao. It won't be an easy day for any of us, and the lion's share of the pressure is on them. U. Madeira's firepower is well known: they out-shot us, without their two best players(Bertinho is injured once again) 18-3 in winning 2-1 for our earlier meeting. We'll go full defensive once again, put as many players as possible between them and the goal, and try to frustrate them into mistakes and a draw. Even that's a big long-shot, but it's our best chance.

As with their last match against Pontassolense, U. Madeiera does not come out in their normal formation, and opts for a 4-1-2-2-1. They also don't play their top lines, most notably winger Hernani, trying to stay as healthy as possible for the promotion playoff. That makes sense for them, and will certainly make our job easier.

And we're off! In two hours, give or take a bit, we'll know our destiny. They get a winger run in the second minute, but just enough of a delay to allow Reis to get into position and block the shot. Another on the opposite wing a few minutes later, but the cross-angle shot is wide. A nice takeaway by Santos in the eighth minute gives us our first chance, he tries to go upstairs but doesn't get it high enough and their keeper has the reflexes to get his hands up for the block. A very nice play but no finish. It appears the ref has swallowed the whistle, not calling a darn thing. This fact leads to another angled shot for them, and it's high and wide. Even with a depleted roster, they're doing what they did in the first game: getting decent shots virtually at will. After the first 15, we're still scoreless, Braganca and Tirsense are as well, but Pontassolense has just scored a penalty to even up their match at 1, having given up an opening-minute score to Riberao. So far so good.

21st minute ... a low cross to the far post by U. Madeira, their right winger slides between Carvalho and Carmo, decent attempt from just outside the box, and Adriano's diving save barely keeps it out. A stressful series of three corners for them come to nothing, and we remain scoreless after 30. Pontassolense - Riberao is still tied at 1, but Braganca has just gone in front of Tirsense 1-0 in the 29th. That result would make a draw here necessary if it holds up.

In the 33rd minute, they let loose with a blast from 25 yards or so, that would have scored if it wasn't a bit wide right. And then comes a play I will never forget. We take it back down, Nelio crosses into the middle, and a defensemen and Santos are there. The ball goes from Nelio's foot to Santos's thigh to their defensemen's chest, never hitting the ground, and Santos volleys it out of the air, a brilliant strike high and left of the keeper before anyone could react. Special goal there in any circumstance, but with us up against it on the road, final game of the year to keep us in the Second Division -- that is just huge! We've got a one-goal buffer now, it'll take two to send us down.

42nd minute -- Reis is banged up but can stay on. I decide to let him, and see how things go after the half. A couple minutes later, they blast another 25-yard rocket, and this one finds the net. 1-1 after that ball was just too high and hard for Adriano to get to. It stays that way at the half, 10-2 in shots for U. Madeira and they are dominating play, but thanks to Santos the scoreboard has us even. No change in the other scores, so as things stand we are still one U. Madeira strike from relegation. 45 minutes is an eternity against these guys. It'd be real nice if Tirsense would get a tally to help us out.

Dangerous cross and run in the 48th, but they don't control it well enough and Adriano gathers it up. A minute later, the score that wasn't, and some major controversy. Santos beats a challenging defender, wandering into the extreme right of the area. Two defenders converge on him, leaving Coronel with very little traffic in front for the cross. Their defender controls, but Coronel tackles him and it goes in ... this time the whistle isn't swallowed and a foul is called. That was a maybe, maybe not kind of foul, and a break we really needed to go our way obviously. But it doesn't. Heckuva attempt anyway, and I thought it was going to count. Sigh. Reis is still struggling, it's time to get him out of there. Ze Pedro comes on. Next a corner by U. Madeira bounces around the box, at least three of them have a shot at it, it deflects everywhere including across the goal mouth, and in the chaos as we finally get to it they are called for a foul.

That's just the first five minutes of the half. I hope we have the ER on speed-dial. 58th, they get a throw-in from the side, put it into the area. We have two defenders around their man, but neither Estrela, Santos, or Ze Pedro who converges on the run, can make the play and poke the ball free. They get off a volley, fairly narrow cross-angle shot. It's well struck, but misses wide right. Not by much though. We make it to 60 minutes, half an hour left, still even. Still no change in the other games either.

Another dangerous run for them in the 65th, but again they can't control it well enough, and Adriano grabs it at the edge of the area a step or two before their striker gets there. We've only given up two shots this half, but an awful lot of close calls despite that. A big-time defensive play by Carvalho in the 68th, getting back just in time to challenge another run before they can get off a shot. End of the 70th minute, one of their attackers wheels on Estrela, whose sliding tackle attempt misses completely, moves in, and pokes a roller left of the goal. Their third clear chance of the game, and they've converted none of them. Time becoming an issue now, and whistles more frequent on both sides.

We hold them out for a few more minutes, and I check the board: Braganca is still up 1-0, and Pontassolense has scored again to go up 2-1 at Riberao. I wouldn't have bet on both of them winning beforehand, but it looks like that is what's going to happen. So it's down to 15 minutes plus any bonus time, and we need to pitch a shutout for that period. That will likely require even more luck than we've already had today.
77th minute ... after a warning earlier, Goncalinho picks up a yellow. I take him out for Camara, and use my last sub on more fresh legs, Sanchez in for Nelio. We're in trouble if someone gets hurt, but I've got to keep guys with energy out there. The die is cast and it's up to the boys on the pitch, not much more I can do to control the outcome at this point. It's only my job, my career, and by extension my life on the line here. Big header by Estrela right away to break up a well-executed cross. 80 ... they foul Carvalho in the area, and we get another clearance. 83rd minute, and we get an exceedingly rare attack opportunity with a corner. Dinarte airmails it, and it's easily across the pitch and out. We're tired, but they are even more so and we are finding the it a little easier to clear the ball, and a little easier to fight for possession of it instead of just recycling into another defense.

Another corner for us in the 86th. Far side header by Estrela, but their defender at that post is able to head his shot back out and clear it. Our first shot on goal since Santos scored. A minute later, a gorgeous pass ahead from Dinarte to Coronel, but he was a little loose on controlling it and their defense was able to recover. The ball moves up and down the pitch at a feverish pace the last several minutes, as U. Madeira are tired but pressing for the winning score. Three minutes of bonus time are announced. They foul Coronel a bit outside the area, and Decio lines up a free kick at the end of the 91st ... well high, though it was a good strike otherwhise. They move back down for one final attack run. We put it out once, they throw it in and cross, cleared by Camara! A bullet from 30 yards is deflected, but they get a mid-range header out of it ... too weak to do any damage. Estrela puts it out on the far touchline. Another throw in, cross into a crowd ... Carmo is the one who gets a foot to it first. No more time, the ref calls it and we have done it!!

ANDORINHA ARE STAYING UP!!

They outshoot us 17-4, maintain 59% possession, and win virtually every conceivable category, but a combination of our determination and them not making the shots they had. However we did it, we avoid the drop ... by the narrowest margin imaginable. A tie for one spot to avoid relegation, and we win it on tiebreakers. Un freaking believable. As it ends up, Tirsense did score to earn a draw with Braganca, but Pontassolense hung on for the road win. So if we'd lost, we still would have been sent down.

U. Madeira 1 : 1 Andorinha

Best 3: Santos(7.3), 8 players with 6.9
Worst 3: Coronel(6.0), Adriano(6.4), Carmo(6.8)

After the game, U. Madeira head man Daniel Ramos talked me up to the media, saying he looks forward to coaching against someone like myself. From somebody with a squad like he has, that's a real compliment.

FINAL STANDINGS, PORTUGUESE SECOND DIVISION-NORTH, 2010-11:

U. Madeira(60 pts)
---------------------------
Maritimo B(50 pts)
AD Oliveirense(50 pts)
Tirsense(49 pts)
Camacha(49 pts)
Lousada(46 pts)
Chaves(45 pts)
Riberao(43 pts)
Macedo Cavaleiros(43 pts)
Vizela(42 pts)
Merelinense(39 pts)
Andorinha(36 pts)
---------------------------
Pontassolense(36 pts)
Braganca(34 pts)
Fafe(24 pts)
Canical(19 pts)

It's easy to see how competitive the league is: 8 points separate #2 from #10.

Joining U. Madiera in the Promotion Playoffs will be Boavista(61 pts), who just beat out Tourizense in the Central on tiebreakers, and from the South Real SC, with 59 points. The Playoffs consist of one match a week, starting next weekend, and lasting six weeks. The top two squads are promoted, with the last-place club remaining in the Second Division.
Our 47 goals scored ranked us 5th in the league, while 56 allowed was 13th.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #53
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

APRIL ROUNDUP

Another $16k down the crapper, a good training report for Estrela, bad one for Adriano.

In other news, the board has offered to keep me around for another year, at $850 a week. That's a $100 raise. I sign it, ensuring that I'll be here to hopefully guide Andorinha to another successful defense of their league position.

Their view of the club is still the same. They are delighted that we staved off relegation, and similarly but to a lesser degree also delighted at our third-round finish in the Taca de Portugal. Payroll is the top concern.
Meanwhile, I have a couple months to enjoy the promotion playoffs and other goings-on before I turn my attention to scheduling friendlies, and preparing for 2010-2011.

U.Madeira won twice and lost twice in the playoffs, beating Real SC in both meetings and getting shut out twice by Boavista. But when Boavista blanked Real SC 4-0 in the last game, that gave them 3 wins and Real SC just one, giving U. Madeira the second promotion spot. Real SC will stay down in the Second Division, and hope to get another chance next year.

GOLD CUP 2011

Team USA, which continues to plummet in the world rankings(now 45th), enjoyed an expected easy romp through qualifying in Group A. They beat Honduras(2-0), Grenada(5-0), and Panama(4-1) to ensure a spot in the quarterfinals. Trinidad and Tobago was the opponent there, falling 3-1, then Canada 2-0 in the semis, and Honduras again 2-0 in the final, after they had upset Mexico 3-2 in their semifinal. A virtually perfect run through the competition, six games and six victories, and the US takes home the 2011 Gold Cup title! The loss to Honduras cost Mexico's head coach his job, as he was canned within a week.

Total goals: 18 scored, 2 allowed.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #54
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Fan's player of the year: Decio

Best Eleven

GK: Adriano(6.61)
D: Carlos Reis(6.73), Edgar Carvalho(6.68), Ricardo Carmo(6.97, 3 goals), Pedro Estrela(6.88, 4 goals)
M: Nelio(6.92, 1 goal, 2DN-leading 11 assists!), Decio(6.97, 6 goals), Dinarte(6.83, 5 goals), Goncalinho(6.76)
ST: Joao Santos(6.91, 9 goals), Julio Coronel(6.88, 4 goals)

Notably missing here in Gomes(6.85, team-high 11 goals). Clearly the weakness was primarily Adriano in goal, and also the fullbacks, Reis and Carvalho. The staff maintains though that Reis and Carvalho have the talent to get the job done. Not so much with Adriano. Keeper is by far our biggest hole.

We are moved to the South 'branch' of the Second Division for 2011-2012, along with Maritimo B and Camacha. I have no clue how they decide who moves where, so this comes as a big surprise to me. But whatever.

Most of the other clubs are still Semi-Pro/Local(11 of them), with one club(Farense) with a Regional reputation, and one fully Professional(Maritimo B). There are three others at Obscure, along with us.

Despite their being five recently promoted clubs from the Third Division in the South this year, we are still picked dead last. Farense is the runaway favorite, even money to take the title. The other contenders are Torreense(7th in 10-11) and Louletano(4th in 10-11), both at 5-1; Camacha(8-1) and Maritimo B(14-1), both of whom we know from the North group last year, and recently promoted Paredes at 16-1. Interesting that Lagoa, third last year only six points out, is not even listed that highly.

We go off at 5000-1, which is much worse than the 2000-1 we got last year. No chance at underachieving at least .
Old 09-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #55
BYU 14
Coordinator

Ugly for team USA, hopefully the GC win boosts their stock a bit.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #56
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

2011-2012 PRESEASON

23 players on the roster, and 14 of them are entering the last year of their contracts.

KEEPER

We re-sign Adriano for two years, but then he transfers out when we sign Vitor Bernardes(36) for two years at $40/wk. He appears to be at least somewhat of an upgrade over Adriano, but is really a stopgap.

The backup is still Lila(31), who nobody wants, including us. But we can't find anybody better to bring in.

DEFENSE

Lots of changes here. Carlos Barbosa and Flavio weren't interested in sticking around at any price. They are gone via free transfer, as is Ruben Rodrigues who simply isn't good enough with the additions we made last year. Ze Pedro is simply way too expensive for a backup and won't take a pay cut. He leaves as well. The fans don't like this, but there isn't a real choice in the matter. We have to cut payroll, period. We manage to resign Pedro Estrela for 5 years at $30/wk, a bargain there as he's a key part of the defense.

We also bring in DR Claudio on a 2-year deal at $40/wk. He looks to be an upgrade over Reis.

The starting defensive line then looks as follows:

DR Claudio(28, 5-10, 165)
DC Pedro Estrela(24, 6-4, 196, 6.83 avg. rating, 4 gls, 1 as, 2 MoM)
DC Ricardo Carmo(28, 5-11, 171, 6.97 rat., 3 gls, 1 MoM in a half-season)
DR Edgar Carvalhop(30, 6-0, 165, 6.68 rat, 2 as, 1 Mom in a half-season)

Celio Reis, Abadito(who has announced he'll retire at the end of the year), and Filipe Martins form the bench. We should be better here with a full season of Carmo plus Claudio if he performs.

MIDFIELD

Sandro Camara and Paulinho want more money than we can afford, so they transfer out. Decio, Goncalinho, and Pires do as well -- they stay on, but will be gone after this year. Goncalinho I'd really, really like to keep, but he won't even consider less than $190 a week. That's just not even close to possible.

We bring in another Brazilian, MR/ML Dudu(27, 5-7, 136) who will probably essentially replace fan-favorite Decio(the only player listed under Andorinha's favored personnel. I expect a backlash when he leaves next year). He looks to be as good as any of our wingers if not better.

Also in are MCs Helder Costa(29, 5-9, 160) and Rui Moleiro(34, 6-0, 178). They both look like quality depth, but are unlikely to crack the starting lineup.

ML Decio(6.98 rat., 6 gls, 4 as, 1 MoM)
MC Dinarte(6.80 rat., 4 gls, 2 as)
MC Goncalinho(6.74 rat, 4 as)
MR Nelio(6.93 rat, 1 gl, 11 as)

Goncalinho and Decio will be gone after this year and Nelio is 32, so in the long term this is a need, but we have the same starters as last year and they were pretty productive, and there's more depth this season.

The bench is newcomes Costa and Moleiro, along with returning players Sanchez and Pires. Pires will also be gone after the season as he's too expensive.

STRIKERS

No new faces here. After some consideration, Joao Santos(6.91, 9 gls, 3 as, 2 MoM) is dropped from the starting eleven. He'll be the backup, with Gomes(6.82, 9 gls, 2 as, 2 MoM) and Julio Coronel(6.88, 4 gls, 1 as, 1 MoM in 12 appearances) the starting pair. We've just got to have Coronel's speed in the lineup, and Gomes is the better passer of the other two. Santos is only 21, and he may become the regular starter again after Gomes retires.

After all of this, we come in just under the wage budget. The board pretty much demanded this. They are satisfied '51%' to start the year -- in other words, the jury is still out on me.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #57
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

We mostly roll through the pre-season, with Pires getting a double hernia at the end of July which knocks him out for three months.

FRIENDLIES

7.7 v. Camacha(2-2 draw, att. 32)
7.18 v. Bom Sucesso F(W 5-0, att. 42)
7.25 v. SC Santacruzense(W 8-0, att. 37)
8.1 v. Marialvas(W 5-0, att. 37) -- two missed penalty kicks to boot(Gomes, Goncalinho)
8.8 v. Camacha(W 1-0, att. 48) ** Courtesy of a 73rd-minute own goal
8.15 v. Canicense(W 6-0, att. 32)
8.22 Taca de Porgual First Round Draw -- we are at home again, for the fourth straight time in the TdP. We are matched up against Real SC, so we'll have our hands full, to put it mildly. The toughest squad we could have possibly faced in my opinion.
8.22 v. Porto Moniz(W 5-0, att. 44)
8.28 v. Marialvas(W 6-0, att. 34)

And it's on to the Taca de Portugal to open the year.

Taca de Portugal First Round
Andorinha vs. Real SC
Dry, 59
Odds: 50-1, 1-33

We didn't start like a team who expected to lose, controlling the action after the first couple minutes, and getting the first good attempt(by Gomes, blocked by their keeper) in the 11th minute. 4-0 in shots at the point. But they scored first off a corner in the 17th. A ridiculous, stupid goal, not the kind of omen to start our year off with. A header at the near post was blocked off the line by Carvalho ... into the back of Bernardes' right leg and into the goal. 0-1.

They seemed to figure us out a few minutes later, keeping us on the defensive for a while. A long ball from Nelio got Coronel behind their defense in the 31st minute, but his shot over their keeper's head was deflected just wide. Decio got a shot on the ensuing corner, but that was blocked and they cleared it. Gomes found Coronel for an even better look a couple minutes later, and he scored easily but was waved off-side(an obvious call there). We've done everything but score, and just need one break to even it up. I switch to a countering stance just before the half, as it is becoming clear they are going to win more of the midfield battles for possession than we are.

A non-call on a header in the penalty area in the first minute out of the break has Nelio furious, the second time(Coronel's disallowed goal being the other) that the players have not been pleased with a decision. We played well for about ten minutes and then got another chance. Again Coronel broke free of their defense, going for a lob this time ... but it was a fairly slow one, and one of their defensemen got to it first. Gomes headed it back in to Coronel, who couldn't get turned around in time to put a shot on, he was in great position but there just wasn't enough time. As the half went on it quickly became clear we were going to remain the fresher squad, but that needed to translate into a score.

Another run for Coronel in the 78th minute, one-on-one ... and he put this one well high. Gomes set it up this time, and the keepe was well out, the ball was by him and on course, but just too much air under it. A couple minutes later, he launched one from 30 yards out that was on target, but there was just enough time for the keeper to get a leg on the low attempt.

They clear back-to-back corners in the 85th, and we were almost out of time. Another one a minute later. In the 88th, Coronel spurts through their defense, lets a bender go from 25 yards out, it curls towards the upper left corner ... too much, it's wide and out.

We outplay them in almost every way except for that whole matter of putting the ball in the net. A frustrating and yet very encouraging loss.

Andorinha 0 : 1 Real SC

Attendance: 206

Best 3: Nelio(7.3), Goncalinho(7.0), Rui Molero(6.9)
Worst 3: Coronel(5.8), Decio/Dinarte(6.5)
Old 09-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #58
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU14
Ugly for team USA, hopefully the GC win boosts their stock a bit.

Yeah I think that's pretty much foregone. Mexico was the favorite, so I think they'll be up more by the end of the year.

Machico vs. Andorinha, 9.11.11
Breezy, 86

Interesting matchup this. We start the 11-12 league season on the road against newly promoted and highly-favored Machico, yet my staff thinks we're the better side. They're an up-tempo, attacking club, so this is unlikely to be boring. Time to get this season under way with a positive result.

We nearly got nicked early, as a shot from the edge of the area hit the crossbar before bouncing away harmlessly. Our passing was erratic enough and their attacking dangerous enough that I switched to countering less than 20 minutes in.

We miss a huge opportunity in the 19th minute, a free-kick from the far side of the area and wide, and I do mean wide freaking open, was Estrela in front. Just outside the box when it came to him, but he had to volley it and their keeper was able to block out a weak attempt and they won the scrum for the rebound. Very disappointing effort there as he usually puts more on it. A nice save by Bernardes to prevent a pretty good effort a couple minutes later, another open shot at about the edge of the area. There's still too many holes in our coverage there.

Really has the feel of an even match, with the sense that either side could light up the other for a lot of goals, but neither is executing that yet. In the 30th, Decio gets a nice header opportunity just inside the box, far post area, but puts it wide. Another really good chance there. A couple minutes later, they basically decide to leave Carmo uncovered on a corner. Not smart. We find him at the near post, and he puts it in, didn't get much on it but it was well placed, over the keeper's head and under the bar. 0-1, our first goal of the year! Immediately on the next kickoff, we get a turnover, run-out by Coronel but he gets pushed out, passes it back to Dinarte just inside the area ... and they foul him! Huge chance for a big road lead, but he puts it over the bar! Last year Dinarte was a perfect 3-for-3, and that one could really come back to haunt us.

Poor half for Gomes, so I bring in Santos. Nothing much happens till the 62nd minute, when there's a very strange play. They cross it in from deep, and an attacker puts it in easily, as he was actually behind Bernardes and well to opposite side. He was also off-side by at least four yards, probably five or six. They whine and complain that the goal should stand. Are they stupid?! The ref makes the obvious call, and our lead remains. I'm not pleased that we let that ball get in anyway of course. A couple minutes later, we lose Moleiro, who had come on for Goncalinho. Two center midfielders down in the same match. Not what I need, and I'm out of subs with well over 20 minutes remaining. I go full defensive as we aren't getting anything going anyway. Let's just get out of here.

Disaster in the 81st minute. On the worst corner kick I've ever seen, they intercept at the edge of the area and get a one-man rush back the other way. Carvalho can't get back in time to defend, and they put it past Bernardes inside the near post from 20-some yards out. We ruin some decent attacking position with truly hideously off-target passing over the next few minutes, and they get a corner of their own in the 85th. We clear it, but they control and we give up an open shot from the corner of the box. Bernardes blocks it away, but it's truly amazing how we are falling apart here. An excellent counter with them scrambling, we move it around ... Decio is offside. What a bloody freaking disaster.

88th minute, Nelio picks up a moronic yellow card. Next, they get a very dangerous cross that goes right through the box, they just weren't quite close enough to it. Just into bonus time, we attack and cross it, Santos can't quite get to it but it comes to Nelio and he hits a volley within the area ... wide not just of the goal but of the box as well. Dinarte regains possession at midfield, then hits the wide-open touchline with a brilliantly horrible pass. Just let this comedy of errors end. Please. 93rd minute, they get an open effort from deep, but it's way off.

Machico 1 : 1 Andorinha

We nearly snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Very, very disappointing draw. After the first 15 minutes, they get off only three shots. Two in the entirety of the second half. But one was that disaster that allow them to escape. It's still a road result, but ... wow. We donated two points today.

Best 3: Carmo(7.8), Claudio(7.0), Nelio(6.9)
Worst 3: Gomes(6.2), Costa/Santos(6.3)

Goncalinho will be out about two weeks with a bruised thigh, and Moleiro has a sprained ankle(8 weeks to 2 months). So Costa will be the starter, and we have no central midfield depth. Freaking fabulous. Also, we announce 50 season tickets, the same amount as last year.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #59
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha vs. Atletico Reguenos, 9.14.11
Dry, 73
Odds: 13-2, 11-4, 2-5

Not the best time for three days between matches. Dudu and Sanchez will start at the wingers due to a tired midfield -- Dinarte would rest too if I had another decent option, but they're injured. The visitors drew in their first match as well, and while they finished 5th last year, have been picked 15th by the media.

Our early play was not encouraging. They got the first good chance in the 12th minute, well wide right, but our makeshift midfield is doing poorly at the possession game and I switch again to counter. 20th, and we gift them an own goal to truly make this a disastrous start. A cross into traffic right in front, and it deflects of one of their players, then off the side of Carmo's legs, and rolls in. 0-1. That's two own goals out of the three we've allowed this year(one of two if you're counting league only). Four minutes later, Gomes takes it away from one of their defenders and is all one in front, super chance, but just weakly bounces it right at the keeper. Ay caramba.

35th minute, as we've at least managed to contest possession better the last several minutes, Sanchez goes down. Nelio comes on, hopefully he'll give us a spark. Another shot by Gomes at the end of the half, but easily saved. A solid, if disjointed half except for the fluke goal. Decio comes in for Dinarte -- not optimal by a long shot, but our captain is out of gas.
Nelio picks up his second yellow in as many matches in the 57th minute, and while we have consistently outplayed them by a bit for the last 30 minutes or so, we've nothing to show for it. No chances at all. They work for a nice shot from a decent right angle a couple minutes later, saved fairly easily by Bernardes. They had a great chance a couple minutes later, a floating cross perfectly on target for a header right in front, but Bernardes came up with the save on the bouncer. Very fortunate we were there.

We bring it right back down, two man game with Coronel and Gomes, excellent pass by Gomes to lead him into the area ... and his cross-angle shot is closest to the corner cone. ARGH!! We have three shots. All of them clear-cut chances. We haven't come close to scoring on a single one of them. They just miss from range as they come back down and set up.

Costa finds Coronel again in the 66th minute, not as good a chance but the same result. From mid-area, left of the goal he sends it well over the bar. A whole lot of nothing, and then we end the game in style. 89th minute, free kick from a ways out, nice cross by them and they execute a cross-angle header, well-placed and no chance. 0-2 it is. Game over.
We win the possession battle at home, and get outshot 10-4.

Andorinha 0 : 2 Atletico Reguenos

Best 3: Claudio(7.2), Costa(6.9), Gomes/Nelio/Estrela(6.8)
Worst 3: Coronel(5.8), Sanchez(6.3), Decio/Bernardes(6.5)

Attendance: 136

In three competitive matches this year, there have now been five goals scored.

Two by our opponents.
Two by us for our opponents.
One by us for ourselves.

That about sums it up -- we really suck.

The ineptitude of passing and mind-numbingly stupid decision-making I've seen already exceeds anything I saw last year. I don't know what's wrong with these guys, but they better snap out of it quick. We aren't talented enough to dig ourselves a deep hole.

Groin strain for Sanchez, who will miss 4-5 weeks. Our midfield is now officially a medical ward. Four of them injured.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #60
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Lagoa vs. Andorinha, 9.25.11

Lagoa come in with two wins by a combined 7-1 score. We get Goncalinho back but only as a reserve, he's not ready to start yet. They get a well-placed bouncer just inside the right post in the 39th minute, and generally control the match, getting a lot of weak, long shots but also a few good opportunities that they don't convert. In the 84th, Gomes takes the ball away from one of their defenders, draws another wide and then centers for Coronel, right in front for an easy score, and we equalize! Gomes was injured in bonus time, and they had a final quality look right after that, missing left.

Lagoa 1 : 1 Andorinha

We didn't deserve a draw here, but I'll definitely take it. They out-shoot us 20-5, and control play by nearly that margin. A solid second half though.

Best 3: Coronel(7.2), Estrela/Claudio/Gomes/Carmo(6.9)
Worst 3: Carvalho(6.3), Nelio(6.4), Costa/Bernardes(6.6)

No injury for Gomes, thankfully.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #61
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

OCTOBER BOARD REVIEW

Overall: Satisfied(50%)
Finances: lost $21.2k

Positive: Good locker-room atmosphere
Negative: Departure of Ze Pedro

Training positives: None
Training negatives: Nelio, Gomes, Filipe Martins
Old 09-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #62
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha(0-2-1, 14th) vs. Oriental(1-2-0, 6th), 10.2.11

Back to a full starting roster, though three midfield subs are still out.
After we miss a great chance early(Coronel clangs one off the crossbar), they get a 10th-minute score, a header off a deep free-kick(0-1). We get it back in the 33rd on a nice counter rush, Decio crosses it in well and Nelio was so open there, he dribbles it past the keeper on the far side before punching it in a completely open net. 1-1.

Second half, as we gradually are getting stronger, they make another of their many last-second tackles, this one on Coronel ... but it slowly dribbles just past the keeper and in! Counts as an own goal, but I'll take it, 2-1 in the 64th and it's been 20 minutes since they got off a shot of any kind.

Andorinha 2 : 1 Oriental

A much-needed if somewhat fortunate win.

Best 3: Nelio(7.9), Estrela(7.1), Goncalinho/Bernardes(7.0)
Worst 3: Gomes(5.8), 6 at 6.9

Nelio was also named MotM.

Attendance: 116
Old 09-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #63
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Louletano(1-0-3, 14th) vs. Andorinha(1-2-1, 10th), 10.12.11

Pires and Sanchez return from injury, leaving only Moleiro still out. We are almost healthy. This is an interesting match involving two squads who prefer to counter-attack. Our hosts are a pretty high-scoring lot, but give up a ton as well(10 in four matches).

We get a rare goal by Goncalinho to take the lead in the first half, even though they had the better of the play for the most part. Nelio dribbled in instead of going for the cross, and he just found a good cross-angle shot from outside the area.

Gomes adds another in the 73rd minute, and we're up 2-0. They answer four minutes later, and then with us trying to hold on, disaster in the last minute of regulation time. We badly mishandle a cross at the edge of our area, it finds it's way to MC Nelsinho who blasts one inside the near post.

Louletano 2 : 2 Andorinha

Should have won this one, but on the other hand we were outshot 22-7 and got a road draw.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #64
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Up next is Camacha – only two goals in five matches to start the year. We were 0-1-1 against them last year, with no goals scored: a 3-0 loss on the road in the second meeting. We’ll start with a countering posture.

9th – Decio gets hurt at midfield, and Dudu has to come on for him.

13th -- They score on a corner, far-post header by DC Avalos.

27th – Another corner header, again by Avalos, this time in front. 2-0.

51st – Cross by Nelio, Dudu is trailing the play a bit and strikes from the edge of the area, solid first-time shot past the keeper for the first goal of his career!

75th – Penalty called on Claudio, and Avalos converts for the hat-trick. 3-1.

Andorinha 1 : 3 Camacha

Best 3: Dudu(7.5), Nelio(7.3), Goncalinho(6.9)
Worst 3: Carmo(5.2), Carvalho(5.5), Coronel(5.8)

Decio has a fractured wrist, and will miss about two months. Let’s hope Dudu has more of what he showed today, because he just became the starting left winger for a significant portion of this season.

Attendance: 119
Old 10-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #65
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Vs. Casa Pia(10-13)

Casa Pia is the early-season league leader, and the other elite defensive club along with Camacha. We do get Rui Moleiro back – no replacement for Decio of course – and the long odds are definitely justified.

20th – Header in front, Bernardes dives but too late … but Carvalho was able to clear it off the line.

22nd – We took a surprise lead on an unusually display of passing and teamwork. Goncalinho found Gomez with a lead pass into the area, two defenders converged quickly and he was hard pressed to get off a shot. Except he didn’t even try. A tap back-pass to Coronel gave him a crack at the left side of the net with the keeper a little out of position, and Julio put it in nicely, rolling it inside the near post. 0-1!

28th – Gomes gets a nearly point-blank attempt in front, but it was blocked away by a pair of defenders. Amazingly, this is an evenly-played match so far.

31st – Similar attempt for Casa Pia, also blocked.

33rd – We are on the attack again, and Estrela thought he was obviously fouled as he went up for a header and lost it to their defender. No call made.

38th – Dangerous cross as they drew two defenders wide. Horrible job of controlling it in front though and Bernardes picked up the ball.

46th – Carvalho blocks another header and Dinarte clear out a second attempt just before the half.

HT – up against the top team in the league after getting drilled at home. Go figure. I swear we play better on the road. A draw here would be a big result for us, but we’re playing well enough to have a real chance at the full there points. Lots of dangerous attacks that haven’t resulted in shots on both sides – it’s only 7-4 Casa Pia in shots on goal so far. A poor start for Carmo but he snapped out of it and I’m satisfied with how everyone is playing. We just need another half of the same thing.

53rd – After it looked like we were slipping – or they were resurging – to start the half, Dinarte finds Coronel at the edge of the box alone. Julio went for the top far corner, missing it by a fair amount. Good chance there for an insurance goal.

55th – Nice cross by Casa Pia, and Carvalho gets there just in time to bang a imperfectly controlled first touch off their striker and out for a goal kick. That was a great chance for them if they’d controlled it.

63rd – Header in front by Gomes … it’s a weak bouncer and easily saved.

70th – A couple of one-on-one chances for Coronel, who used his speed to good effect, but he missed both: one high, one wide.

I put in Sanchez and Costa to get fresh legs. No significant threats the rest of the way.

Casa Pia 0 : 1 Andorinha

Huge, huge win here.

Best 3: Estrela(7.4), Goncalinho/Coronel/Gomes/Carmo(7.3)
Worst 3: Dudu(6.3), Costa/Sanchez(6.6)

Pedro Estrela was man of the match
Old 10-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #66
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

NOVEMBER STANDINGS

Lagoa(16 pts)
-----------------------
Camacha(15 pts)
Oriental(14 pts)
Casa Pia(14 pts)
Maritimo B(12 pts)
Torreense(11 pts)
Ribeira Brava(10 pts)
Louletano(10 pts)
Atletico Reguenos(9 pts)
Andorinha(9 pts)
Machico(7 pts)
Madalena(7 pts)
-------------------------------------------
Paredes(7 pts)
Farense(7 pts)
Penalva Costelo(4 pts)
Lusitania Acores(2 pts)

We’ve had a tough schedule here, but it gets easier this month with only three matches:

Lustiania Acores(6th, Home)
Paredes(20th, Away)
Torreense(27th, Home)

This is a big opportunity for us to put some distance between us and the relegation zone.

TRAINING

Rui Moleiro(Tactics) is the only positive.

BOARD REVIEW

Confidence: Secure(56%)

Positive: signing of DR Claudio(6.97 avg)
Negative: release of DC Ze Pedro
Old 10-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #67
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

10th, 2-3-2, vs. Lusitania Acores(11.6.2011), 0-2-5

Lusitania Acores is winless on the year, with only four goals scored so far.

5th – It sure didn’t take long for us to get on the board. 10-yard header from the far side by Estrela off a corner beats the keeper upstairs. He was uncovered – didn’t even have to jump for that one.

39th – After some back and forth action and a couple of our players getting banged up, they equalize as Carmo gets outmaneuvered in the area by his man, who then beats Bernardes high and inside the near post. Back to even, which isn’t good enough today. 1-1.

44th – Moleiro, recently come on for the banged-up Goncalinho, continues to show his quality. He heads a Lusitania goal kick ahead of the field, and Coronel gets their first for a clean one-on-one, putting a strong strike off the bottom of the crossbar and in to put us back in front. That’s an excellent quick response!

HT – We’re a bit fortunate to be in the lead, it’s been even overall with Carvalho and Dinarte both posting 6.1s in the first half.

65th – Not much has happened to this point. Carvalho and Dinarte picked it up so they stay on. Nice tackle and takeaway by Estrela and midfield, then Gomes gets around his man and into the area, but their keeper saves it, blocking it wide, and Nelio’s sharp-angle follow-up is into the side of the net, not really close. Good play, they just stopped it.

79thSantos comes on to give him some time and have a pair of fresher legs basically. We go defensive – they have controlled the ball for a little while here and I want to preserve this and hold onto the lead.

80th – Brilliant move by Nelio around his man to get a close-in, sharp-angle shot, but a nice save by their keeper blocks it out for a corner.

87th – They get a point-blank header in front off a corner – Claudio clears the bouncing effort of the line. That was too close!

88th – More lax defense, and they get a shot from about 16 yards roughly that clangs off the crossbar before we clear it. This match can’t end soon enough.

89th – Dinarte picks up a yellow, and they get a free kick from about 30 yards out, maybe a bit more. Seriously guys?! It’s blocked by the wall, and we eventually clear and play keep-away for a while.

We survive, back-to-back wins for the first time this year.

Andorinha 2 : 1 Lusitania Acores

Best 3: Estrela(7.4), Nelio(7.3), Coronel(7.2)
Worst 3: Goncalinho(6.6), Gomes/Bernardes(6.7)

Second straight MoM for Pedro Estrela.

Attendance: 127

Lusitania’s headman noted after the game that I was doing fabulous given the limited resources at Andorinha’s disposal. I agree :P
Old 10-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #68
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Paredes(14th) vs. Andorinha (7th)

Paredes has lost four straight matches, and is really banged up. Maghalhaes likes our chances despite the long odds and being the visitors. Additionally, it will be my first match against a former player – DC Carlos Barbosa has been getting paid $200 a week to ride the bench, with only one league appearance so far.

11th – Nice lead pass by Dudu into the area for Coronel, who gets to it just before the keeper and scores easily! It’s disallowed though – offside called and it’s the right call. We’ve already had a number of quality chances, but still nothing on the board.

33rd – They’ve been playing a lot better since the first 15-20 mins, and got their first dangerous attack here. A rifle-shot of a volley from just outside the area hit the right upright, and we were fortunate to clear it out.

42nd – Nelio tries a sharply hit shot from the far side of the area, it’s deflected in front and only a great reaction from their keeper got his hands up in time to block it out for a corner. It’s easily cleared out for another corner, and this time there’s a scrum and one of their players is able to draw a foul call on Goncalinho – that was a dive, but the ref bought it.

HT – Solid half by everyone, we’ve outplayed them overall but nothing to show for it yet. Very rare for a half with this much action to end scoreless. Shots are 8-3 in our favor, we’re up in tackles and headers, it’s just a matter of converting but I like what I see so far overall. I tell them I’m pleased with the effort.

Paredes looks fresher right now – it’s rare that a team is better-conditioned than we are, but that appears to be the case here.

46th – They get a disallowed goal right out of the gate – we were so certain it was going to be off-side that we didn’t even try to get back and defend. Bad choice, given how close it was. But the bottom line is it doesn’t count.

60th – Costa in for Dudu, and Gomes goes down so I bring Santos on. Paredes is controlling almost all the play right now – I don’t like the way things are going. I switch to a counterattacking posture, I’ll be happy to get out of here with a draw the way the momentum is shifting.

72nd – They bring on Barbosa, so it looks like we’ll get to see him after all.

82nd – Moleiro in for Dinarte is our final fresh-legs subs. A long ball to Santos gives us our first shot in quite some time – it was closer to the corner flag than the goal, just hideously off-target as he went for the long angle.

84th – Nice cross by Santos, Coronel is there with multiple defenders … Barbosa of all people breaks it up. Figures. A minute later he breaks up a long ball for Julio … it looked like he had everyone beat but Barbosa slid in at the last second.

94th – Final minute of bonus time. It’s just about over, and while we played well enough to win for much of this match, a point on the road is a point on the road. Santos crosses a high one for Coronel at the near corner of the box – the defenders closest were a little too wide chasing Santos, and Barbosa couldn’t get there in time from the far side. Coronel heads it by the keeper with literally just seconds to go, and we take it 1-0!! Heckuva finish, and we win our third straight!!

Paredes 0 : 1 Andorinha

Best 3: Claudio(7.7), Coronel(7.3), Carmo(7.2)
Worst 3: Costa(6.4), Bernardes(6.7), Gomes/Goncalinho/Estrela(6.8)

Claudio played an intelligent, controlled game in defense and earns his first-ever MoM for us.

However, the report on Gomes is not good. He’ll miss 5-6 months with a torn calf muscle. In other words, he’s either done for the year or very close to it. Santos will replace him obviously, but this leaves us thin up front. There are no quality backups – Pires or Sanchez will have to do it in a pinch, but they’ve seen very little action and are a big dropoff.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-02-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #69
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha(5th) vs. Torreense(10th)
7-1 against still.

This is Goncalinho’s 100th league appearance. It’s unfortunate that he won’t have that many more with Andorinha – he’s our third-best player by average rating so far this year(6.94).

This really should be an even match, with the exception that we are at home. We should be able take points out of this one.

5th – Santos has a clear shot from straight on just outside the area – not a bad
effort but it floats wide to the near side.

9th – Very nice attacking move, Dinarte to Dudu who centers for Santos in almost exactly the same spot as before. Same location, this time it’s more on target but the keeper just manages to deflect it wide for a corner. Estrela’s far-post header is high and wide.

Assistant Maghalhaes recommended slow, controlled buildups and it’s working great so far – we just need to find the right play to punch it home. No shots for Torreense yet.

14th – Coronel gets a shot fairly close in, but he didn’t really have time to set himself and it’s right at the keeper who goes up and snags it easily.

16th – Dudu maneuvers for an open shot just outside the area, beats the keeper far side … but it hits the upright! They put it out for a corner, and they clear it out immediately. We are doing everything but putting the ball in the back of the net.

30th – Dinarte goes down at midfield and has to come out. Moleiro comes on.

42nd – Coronel gets free for a shot just inside the area – unbelievable crap, we hit another post and another ineffectual corner ensues. A minute later, we finally get through. A give-and-go play with Coronel and Goncalinho leaves Coronel alone with the keeper, and he slips it under the diving save attempt. He was too close to have any chance there. 1-0!

54th – Their turn for some bad luck. Best chance they’ve had all day, their strikers gets around Carmo and Estrela, goes near-side with a roller but it’s off the post. Those things must have magnets on them or something.

60th – Another good chance for them, missed wide to the near side but not by much. The momentum has definitely shifted here, they are controlling the action more than we are since late in the first half. They get a header in front a minute later, 1-1. It wasn’t badly defended, they just outjumped us and got their first.

88th – Dudu had an open header from the near side, a chance to give us another last-minute win, but he injured himself going up for it and it went over the bar.

Andorinha 1 : 1 Torreense

With all the chances we had in the first half, we should have won here. A little disappointing.

Best 3: Coronel(7.2), Estrela(6.9), 5 players with 6.8
Worst 3: Santos(5.9), 4 with 6.7

No injury for Dudu, but Dinarte will be out 4-5 weeks with a groin strain. The injuries are starting to pile up. Rui Moleiro will be in for the time being.

Attendance: 142
Old 10-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #70
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

DECEMBER ROUNDUP

A third of the season is complete, and Camacha has established themselves as the top team for now at least, with a 5-point lead on the field. Meanwhile we are currently 8th, 4-4-2 and six points clear of the relegation zone. A long way to go and it’s going to be tough with three important starters out and a stretch coming up of three games in eight days. But it’s a much better position than any point last season. Last year 36 points was the cutoff – we have 16 already, almost halfway there.

Julio Coronel has 5 goals, one behind five players who have six each to lead the league. Nobody else on the squad has more than one though.

The board is impressed with our continued success, upgrading to very pleased(65%). The last match with Torreense was the first indication that degrading fan support is starting to come around. That is most critical of all in the long-term view. If we can maintain a mid-table position, hopefully more will come. Without an increased fan base, there is no future here.

Nelio(7.04) is the top performer and only player above a 7 average so far. What we’ve done so far has been a combination of solid team play, everyone doing their part, and the scoring threat of Coronel’s speed. We are definitely not in the range of teams like Camacha from a talent point of view.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #71
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Madalena(3-1-6, 13th) vs. Andorinha(4-4-2, 8th)

Same story, different day: the usual road odds for us, Madalena are 1-6 favorites, we are 10-1. But I’ve long since stopped caring about the odds.

Madalena has been streaky this year: only a draw in their first five matches, then three straight wins, now two losses in a row and not a goal scored in either of them. Both teams are missing significant players. This is one of those road matches where we need to pick up at least a draw.

With Gomes, Dinarte, and Decio all out, there are no extras – everybody is on the match squad.

18th – We’ve controlled the action so far, but they strike first. ST Fabio Sabry beats Estrela to the middle, then beats Bernardes near post from outside the area. 1-0.

37th – Our first real dangerous push, twice Coronel has it in the area, but can’t shake free from their defense to get off a shot.

47th – We get a corner just before the half, it’s short but Carmo heads it across to Estrela, who heads it toward goal but doesn’t get anything on it. Easy save.

56th – We almost got a cheap one. Santos took the ball away from a defender, and it squirted free in the area … he got there the same time as their keeper, but a tripping foul was called on Santos. That was very close to being a gimme.

71st – Costa came on recently for Goncalinho. But more importantly, sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good. Carvalho sends an innocuous-looking cross, which hits their inexplicably oblivious defender Oliviera in the back of the head and bounces just inside the near post! An own goal evens it up at 1-all. We didn’t deserve that. At all. But I’ll take it.

79th – Their wall at the edge of the area continues to be impregnable, but we are pressing more and work it to Santos for a long shot. Just high and wide to the near side, not a half-bad attempt though. It’s just our third shot of the day, incredibly.

84th – They get a couple corners in this vicinity, throwing the kitchen sink at us. We give up no shots, but it takes some superb plays by the defensive line to achieve that.

89th – They get their third player of the match injured – Madalena will truly be the walking wounded after this, they had a long list of hurt players coming in as it was. In this case though, it puts them a man down for the finish.

92nd – They break up a cross, but we get a corner out of it. Carmo gets to the ball but it’s too low for a header and he’s sandwiched by three defenders. They clear it.

93rd – We rush again, Costa finds Coronel in the area, it’s a wide-angle shot and their keeper blocks the near-post attempt. Another corner, maybe our last chance. Nothing immediate and full-time is called.

Madalena 1 : 1 Andorinha

Total shots are a very very low 4-4, they didn’t attempt a single one in the second half. We outplayed them, but couldn’t crack their defense – our passing was off and they found a way to break up almost every rush.

Best 3: Carvalho/Claudio/Carmo(7.0)
Worst 3: Goncalinho(6.7), Bernardes/Santos(6.8)

Their defender who committed the own goal is named man of the match. I’m confused, so very confused.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #72
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha(4-5-2, 8th) vs. Ribeira Brava(5-5-1, 3rd)

7-1 odds against. Yawn on that. But oh how times have changed. Last year, Ribeira Brava was our most competitive profitable friendly. This year, they promoted and have wasted no time in making themselves a force in the second division. Their biggest acquisition is DC William of Cameroon, who they plucked from Liga Orangina side Arouca. He makes half of our wage budget, and leads them with four goals. They’ve won four of their last five. Both teams are playing on just two days rest.

With a banged-up squad, I want to make sure we have a good chance for points here against a hot team, so I go with a counterattacking strat to start.

3rd – Drama right away. We build up a promising attack, building a lot of pressure, but they pack it in and deny any shots. Goncalinho is tackled and I think that should have been a quick penalty on them, but no call is made.

6th – They get a dangerous corner and some long-range shots … most of them blocked, one just over the bar. They haven’t changed their philosophy though, they like to attack and our defense needs to be on its toes.

48th – We’ve been under a lot of pressure most of the half, and William converts a corner for them in bonus time just before the half. A corner kick, he gets a header by the near post, and Bernardes got his hands on it but couldn’t deflect it enough to prevent the score. 1-0.

HT – Sanchez in for Santos. It’s been a very up-tempo match and fatigue is already a major issue. Our five-match unbeaten streak is going to end here unless something significantly changes. Shots are 6-1 in their favor, and that’s pretty fairly indicative.

52nd – After our best stretch of the match, they get a one-on-one on a counterattack, but it’s hooked wide to the far side.

54th – Rui Moleiro gets an open look from the edge of the area, missing just wide right. Their keeper was nowhere near that shot, a big missed opportunity.

Costa in for Moleiro. The rest of the guys will just need to tough it out.

75th – Dudu sets up Sanchez in some traffic 25 yards out, and he places a left-footed floater perfectly in the far upper corner of the net! I didn’t expect to get anything out of Sanchez this year, but this is a huge goal to even it up! 1-1.

Pressure from both teams in the closing minutes, they definitely gained the upper hand but no real quality chances.

Andorinha 1 : 1 Ribeira Brava

A third straight 1-1 draw, and this one is a gift: we were outshot 13-5, lost possession 63-37, etc. Just call us the ‘refuse to lose’ crew I guess … six straight without a loss and nine out of ten. Not bad when we still have a dead-even goal differential on the year.

Best 3: Sanchez(7.2), Dudu/Costa(6.9)
Worst 3: Santos(5.7), Estrela(6.0), Moleiro(6.1)

Attendance: 182.

That last bit is the best news of all. That’s a record for us in a league match since I took over here, by roughly 20.