Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

2012 Election Result Analysis

I'll be a bit indulgent, because this has become a hobby of mine over the past few elections, and I don't have people over like I have in the past - my girlfriend is actually out working in a precinct near her home, and the people I hang out with lately are either not into politics at all or too partisan to make this fun.

My goal here is to identify a few key elections and watch the results very closely as they come in, and post an analysis that is purely based on what's being reported. No exit polls, no surveys. Just a look at the votes, the counties they come in from, and an attempt to identify patterns in turnout.

Please leave any commentary on anything other than the results for the other threads. In the interest of full disclosure, I wrote in a candidate for the presidency myself, and my ballot had about as many Republicans as Democrats, with a few third-party candidates thrown in. I watch this stuff because I love simulation development and a national election is sort-of a Super Bowl.

I decided to focus on eight races tonight. All eight are expected to be close if it's a tension-filled night. If there's a landslide either way, this won't be a long thread.

The races are as follows:

Presidency:

Colorado (polls indicate Obama leads by less than half a point)
Iowa (Obama, +3)
New Hampshire (Obama, +1)
Ohio (Obama, +2)
Virginia(Obama, less than 1/2 point)
Wisconsin (Obama, +4)

Senate:

Virginia (Kaine, D, +2)
Wisconsin (Baldwin, D, +1)

A brief note on the polling. These numbers are my own averages of the poll data reported in the media. It's not meant to be a controversial average. It's not based on past performance, because a sentient pollster, in my opinion, will learn from past mistakes - the worse they do, the more changes they should make, in theory. All polls are weighted equally, but polling companies are adjusted based on how far they are, on average, from the mean for a race. In no case is this adjustment more than one point for an entire race, and in only one case it is more than half a point.

Based on these numbers, the six states are the ones that will matter if it's a very close election. If Florida and North Carolina are neck-and-neck, it's probably a great night for Obama and these states won't matter as much. If Pennsylvania or Michigan is the tipping point, it's probably a great night for Romney. That's not to say that Romney can't possibly win Pennsylvania or North Carolina can't possibly go for Obama. It's just to say it shouldn't be a very tight race if either happens.

The two Senate races I've chosen are the ones that interest me the most. Not because the Senate is going to tip Republican. It's just that I have those two states modeled and these are close races.

Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

It's like our own 538, but different.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

In "calling" the other 45 states/district, the current total is Obama 243, Romney 235. There are 60 electoral votes at stake. I'm making no attempt to actually call those other 45 - just that if this is a very close race, results will probably be based on this subtotal.

According to the polls (and once results start coming in, the polls are not part of this analysis at all), Obama is ahead in all six states, so this would lead to a 303-243 victory. Romney has to outperform the polling released to the public if he is to have any chance of winning.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
tarcone
Coordinator

I saw where Iowa expects a lot of conservatives to be voting because they are trying to vote out the 4th and last Judge that ojkayed same sex marriage.
That could be a game changer for Romney.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

CNN exit polls has Obama and Romney dead heat at 49%. Might be awhile before we know much there.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

A quick note on Indiana, which I'm not following closely....

Mourdock is +2 over Donnelly in early results, Romney is +22. So that's a 10-point difference. The RCP average is +9.5 for Romney.

This could well be a very long night for Mourdock/Donnelly if Mourdock is 10 points behind Romney.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
CNN exit polls has Obama and Romney dead heat at 49%. Might be awhile before we know much there.

Not really. All that means is the number of voters that get out in California, Texas, New York and Illinois. You can have 50.1/49.9 and still have an electoral landslide, theoretically.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Not really. All that means is the number of voters that get out in California, Texas, New York and Illinois. You can have 50.1/49.9 and still have an electoral landslide, theoretically.

Sorry, was just talking about Virginia. I didn't put the state there.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'd imagine the race could be called hours, if not days, before we know who wins the overall popular vote. Especially with the situation in NY/NJ.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Just a tiny trickle coming from Virginia so far - with 4% of heavily-Republican Chesterfield county precincts reporting, there's no real meaning in the numbers even though Obama has a lead there. County numbers aren't significant at first.

However, what's interesting is that Allen (R) is outperforming Romney by quite a bit in those precincts.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
tarcone
Coordinator

MSNBC just had an interesting analysis. The guy showed Cleveland and the county it is in. In 2008 Obama won Ohio by 260k votes. That, more or less, was how many votes he won the county Cleveland is in, by.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

As I'm sure the television analysts are pointing out, the early returns from Virginia are largely coming from areas McCain won easily in 2008. My sense is that Romney is outperforming McCain, but McCain lost by 6.4 points.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #13
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Getting back to Chesterfield County in Virginia, which went 7.5 points for McCain in 2008. Right now, with 77% of the precincts in, Romney is up 8.5 points and Allen 5.6 points.

Not knowing what 77% is in, I don't know that it's significant. But the numbers closely match the polling in terms of the difference between Romney and Allen. He needs a higher margin from Chesterfield if he's to win the state.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
Swaggs
Coordinator

Enjoying this thread -- thanks for putting it together!
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Question: Did you give any serious consideration to tracking the MO Senate race as one of the keys? I'm guessing the poll indications shoved it off your radar, but I'll ask for your take about whether it's fair to infer much from it if it's notable closer than expected; i.e. Is there any real party/issue relevance in the outcome or is it entirely personality/image driven at this point?
Old 11-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #16
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Question: Did you give any serious consideration to tracking the MO Senate race as one of the keys? I'm guessing the poll indications shoved it off your radar, but I'll ask for your take about whether it's fair to infer much from it if it's notable closer than expected; i.e. Is there any real party/issue relevance in the outcome or is it entirely personality/image driven at this point?

That's an interesting question. No, I didn't track either MO or IN because it takes a while to set up a state model, and these are states Romney will win by a lot if he's to have a chance.

But both senate candidates made names for themselves in ways that could motivate further-right voters to come out, inadvertently boosting Romney. The question for the candidates is whether that turnout is worth it in terms of the middle-roaders who were turned off by the issue.

We saw Missouri, once considered a possible Obama pickup, move much more than most states in October. Was that measuring, in terms of likely voters, the extra right-side presence Akin may have generated? I'd look at turnout in the southern part of the state to check that. Turnout is a key part of the way I'm modeling this.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #17
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

One county (a tiny one in the west) in Virginia indicates it's 100% in, and with 99.4% of 2008 turnout. Bland went +40 points for McCain in 2008, +49 points for Romney.

More a mild check than anything of serious interest so far. 3,000 out of 3.7 million voters is going to produce skew of some sort - can't measure it with any precision. But it's about what Romney needs to put Virginia into his column by a small amount, if it's a consistent outperformance of McCain.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #18
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

Mourdock is +2 over Donnelly in early results, Romney is +22. So that's a 10-point difference. The RCP average is +9.5 for Romney.

This could well be a very long night for Mourdock/Donnelly if Mourdock is 10 points behind Romney.

I think Donnelly was favored post Mourdock's comments regarding rape and abortion. I don't think there more then a poll or two done after his comments though.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #19
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

As I noted elsewhere, looks like a very close race in the IN-Gov race as well.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #20
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
I think Donnelly was favored post Mourdock's comments regarding rape and abortion. I don't think there more then a poll or two done after his comments though.

It took a while for the first poll to come out on that race, the first one had Donnelly up 11, the next was Donnelly up around 5.

EDIT: There was also a poll that had Mourdock up 2, but that was one released by Mourdock's campaign.

Last edited by mckerney : 11-06-2012 at 07:24 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #21
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post

True. That's why it needs to be measured more as how much he trails Romney's performance than how he does compared to the very limited polling (which, IIRC, skewed heavily Republican based on who polled it). I think it will be very close, and I think Mourdock will have a lead late, because the northwest corner, which has a strong Democratic lean, always seem to report late.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #22
mckerney
Coordinator

From 538 on Virginia

Quote:
Just more than three-quarters of the vote has been reported in Chesterfield County, Va., an important suburban and exurban region southwest of Richmond. In the tally so far, Mitt Romney leads President Obama 54 percent to 45 percent. If those percentages hold, Mr. Romney’s performance there would match almost exactly Senator John McCain’s margin of victory in Chesterfield County in 2008: 53 percent to 46 percent. Former President George W. Bush, however, when he carried the state in 2004, won Chesterfield County with 63 percent of the vote.

— Micah Cohen
Old 11-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #23
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

If I were an Obama supporter, I would start to feel pretty good based on Virginia results. Turnout is around 2008 level, and Romney is only slightly outperforming McCain. If I had to guess right now, with only a tiny bit of the information I need to make a call, I'd say Obama will wind up with a 2-point win in Virginia. Obviously, a long way to go, but it's not the turnout pattern Romney needed to see. Both Republican counties and Democratic counties (again, very early) are around the same as they were four years ago.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #24
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

My sense of Allen/Kaine is that it's starting to look very good for Kaine. I'm going to move over to Ohio for a while, maybe check back in on Virginia in about an hour.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #25
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

update on VA, I'm seeing reports that they are Suspending reporting votes because there's still long lines.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #26
wade moore
lolzcat

As a Virginian, the heavy emphasis on Virginia analysis is intriguing to me.

If turnout is similar, that's surprising based on my co-workers, facebook friends, etc - for many the polling lines were a disaster.

I think this state needs a LOT of work on streamlining that process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #27
MrBug708
Head Coach

Not sure where this goes, but the city where I am working as a teacher in, has a prop up for voting, in adding a 1cent tax for every ounce of sugary drinks
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #28
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
My sense of Allen/Kaine is that it's starting to look very good for Kaine. I'm going to move over to Ohio for a while, maybe check back in on Virginia in about an hour.

I'd think a Kaine win is a good sign for Obama. Not 100% sign though because there is some genuine hatred towards Allen whereas Kaine was more a "meh" Governor.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 11-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #29
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
update on VA, I'm seeing reports that they are Suspending reporting votes because there's still long lines.

Funny that you post this right at the same time I was making my post .

Quote:
Old 11-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm not very far into Ohio, but my sense of these very-early results is that Obama is actually outperforming how he did four years ago. Now, the big chunks of votes are coming in from his strongholds (like Cleveland), but the numbers are nowhere near what Romney needs to see.

So far, I'm thinking the fulcrum of this election is Florida and North Carolina, which, if true, means a rather significant Obama win.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #31
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Not among Jim's target races, but the exit polls are showing an interesting fallout from the Todd Akin episode.

The exits show a gender breakdown of 56/44 women to men. In the Senate and Governor race, men are breaking even but Claire McCaskill is up 56-39 over Akin among women. In the governor's race, men also are breaking even and Democrat Jay Nixon is up 54-45.

Last week, I heard a major GOP strategist in Missouri note that when the presidential race in Missouri is a blow out (more than 8 points), the winning party wins 88% of the other state races on the ballot. Exits suggest about a 10-point lead for Romney. In that case, Missouri Democrats should be lucky to win one race.

However, it looks like Democrats will certainly win the Senate, Governor and Attorney General. Granted, each of those races are incumbents. Another Democratic incumbent should hold his office. The other two races lean Republican (one is a Republican incumbent, the other is a Democratic open office).

In what the numbers for president should signal a wave election for Republicans in Missouri, it looks like the Democrats will hold all but maybe one office. And if they do, it looks like women will be the sole margin of victory. And women turned out and voted Democratic because of Akin.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #32
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It's a little harder to be precise about Ohio, because the %precincts reporting measure is seriously off. It reports Logan as 100% in with 30% of the 2008 vote in.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #33
tarcone
Coordinator

Missouri is also voting on Prop B. This is a 90 cent tax on tobacco products. It is losing right now, 61% to 49%.
And to top it off, the money by law goes to education.

So our citizens are defeating a sin tax that will put anywhere from $239 million to $438 million (If I remember the numbers right from voting today) into education. GO MISSOURI!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #34
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I'd think a Kaine win is a good sign for Obama. Not 100% sign though because there is some genuine hatred towards Allen whereas Kaine was more a "meh" Governor.
Romney seemed to be about +3-4 on Allen in pre-election polling. Based on the scattered early returns I think Romney can still win Virginia while Allen loses, but Romney needed to win Virginia by enough to put Allen/Kaine in play if he wanted to really put Ohio+ into play and have a chance nationally, and it doesn't look like that's happened. Especially if there are still long lines, which tend to be in cities, which tend to go Democratic.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #35
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If Mourdock is beating Donnelly in the portion of state where Romney is +13, then Mourdock should win comfortably (~10%). That means the blue parts of the state like Indy aren't reporting in yet.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-06-2012 at 08:04 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #36
Swaggs
Coordinator

Anyone know if there has been a noticeable Virgil Goode effect in VA yet? I know there was supposed to be a specific part of the state where he might have more of an impact (I think SW VA), so wasn't sure if that area is reporting yet.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #37
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
If Mourdock is beating Donnelly in the portion of state where Romney is +13, then Mourdock should win comfortably (~10%). That means the blue parts of the state like Indy aren't reporting in yet.

SI

I don't see it. I think it's going to be very close. Without an Indiana model, though, I can't be precise at all.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #38
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Missouri is also voting on Prop B. This is a 90 cent tax on tobacco products. It is losing right now, 61% to 49%.
And to top it off, the money by law goes to education.

So our citizens are defeating a sin tax that will put anywhere from $239 million to $438 million (If I remember the numbers right from voting today) into education. GO MISSOURI!
Don't react too much yet. The first 90 minutes or so of Missouri results are always from outstate, which are always going to go Republican and are anti-tax. Once Columbia/Jefferson City comes in you get your first Democratic results, and Kansas City and St. Louis don't come in until after 10 or later.

Six years ago, Claire McCaskill was trailing with the City of St. Louis the last place to report results, and that city alone delivered her the winning margin.

That said, 60/40 is a larger margin than I would like to overcome.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #39
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Without any turnout numbers, or knowing if there's going to be an early-voting dump with a different skew, Ohio looks very favorable for Obama - almost on the level of calling it early favorable.

If I had to guess, again, with little to go on, I'd say Obama is +7-8 on Romney in Ohio, taken as a whole, down the road. This has nothing to do with the fact that the 200k lead right now is based mostly on 100k from Cleveland and 70k from Columbus in the reported votes.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #40
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If the tobacco tax money is going 61-49, it better be going to math education.

Last edited by stevew : 11-06-2012 at 08:11 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #41
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't see it. I think it's going to be very close. Without an Indiana model, though, I can't be precise at all.

I'm just going on Pres vs Senate projections. Romney's not going to win Indiana by 14%. That means a lot of the more Democratic sections aren't reporting yet. One has to think Mourdock has an advantage in those.

SI

Old 11-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #42
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

SI

Old 11-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #43
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Still quite early, of course, but with a lot more data in Virginia I'm still not getting the numbers Romney needs to move this. It's projecting to about a 3-point Obama win in Virginia. Turnout seems about 1-2% over 2008 levels, almost uniformly.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #44
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Fox calls Donnely over Mourdock in IN-Sen
Old 11-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #45
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

This evening is turning out rather anti-climactic, isn't it? Some have already called Wisconsin for Obama (and Baldwin). I'll take a quick look over there.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #46
mckerney
Coordinator

Very early in Missouri, but while Romney is up 58-40 McCaskill is up 51-42.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #47
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

HAHA. I just realized I was swapping the names between Mourdock and Donnelly

I re-read what I said and it made no sense (d'oh).

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-06-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #48
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It's so early in Wisconsin that the numbers aren't meaningful, but what I'm seeing is very much in Romney's favor. If someone called Wisconsin, it's completely based on exit polling. It looks like Wisconsin will be very close. But nowhere near enough data to do more than guess.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #49
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Old 11-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #50
tarcone
Coordinator

What type of voter does the legalization of marijuana issue bring out?
Will that sway a state to Obama or Romney?