Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #1051
PilotMan
Head Coach

If you were watching ESPN2 you just saw the NDSU Bison, the undefeated, #1 team in the FCS just trounce the #5 ranked, top rival, SDSU Jacks, in Fargo by a score of 44-21. The last game at home for our QB and Coach. A huge game for our QB Stick, who ran for 3 TD's and passed for another.

This is the 7th final in 8 years, and the 7th final in 9 years of playoff eligibility. Think about that. This team has only been FCS playoff eligible (coming up from D2) for 9 years. Now we're on the brink of standing alone as the best FCS school in history.

Tomorrow night, Maine travels to Eastern Washington and the winner will be on the opposite side in January in Frisco, otherwise known as Fargo South. Neither Maine nor EWU can match up with the Bison. The Jacks were the biggest challenge on the board and they are now gone.

It's quite a time to be a Bison fan, that's for sure.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-14-2018 at 10:20 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:08 PM   #1052
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Is there any push to move up to FBS, or do they realize this is much better? (Coming from a UMass fan )
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #1053
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

USA Today says (and all the local outlets are reporting as such) Justin Fields to transfer out of UGA.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #1054
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Is there any push to move up to FBS, or do they realize this is much better? (Coming from a UMass fan )

There's been rumblings of the fanbase that they should, but the more intelligent know that it'll never happen. That the school can enjoy some great recruiting at this level, they can fill the dome each week, they can make it on ESPN and they are the premiere football program in the upper midwest (Minnesota, eat your heart out). No, I don't think there's ever going to be a push for FBS. All you have to do is look at App State, Marshall, Western KY, to see what happens when schools that dominated on one level move up. There's no point in trying to beat the Alabamas of the world. They have enough clout now to keep those second tier athletes interested. All this probably translates into more money for the school than trying to force something at the FBS level.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #1055
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
USA Today says (and all the local outlets are reporting as such) Justin Fields to transfer out of UGA.

Reportedly headed to OU. We'll see if it's accurate.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #1056
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Reportedly headed to OU. We'll see if it's accurate.

I have been hearing Ohio State pretty regularly. *shrug*
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #1057
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Apparently not from The Onion

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/urban-m...231135415.html
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:40 PM   #1058
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Impressive announcers in the Army/Houston game. They were talking about how Houston was playing in a two deep shell and how they needed to bring a safety down to stop the run. As they were saying this Army went play action and over the top for a big pass.

Without missing a beat, they started criticizing the safeties for biting on the play action and letting a receiver get behind them.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:53 PM   #1059
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Missed field goal in the Memphis game cost me $750 in wins. Brutal loss. 52 points at the half, over is 73. They can't score at all in the third quarter, then the missed FG that would have given the over after they ice him then a penalty.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #1060
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Daaaayumm

UGA football: QB appears to warn Fields about transfer to Ohio State
Old 12-22-2018, 07:32 PM   #1061
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
"The" Tate Martell has a very high opinion of himself.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:15 PM   #1062
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Whats the feeling on Dexter Lawrence? Will the B sample clear him or did they "accidentally" take the wrong supplement?
Old 12-24-2018, 10:59 PM   #1063
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Bama now down their starting LG too Starter among three suspended by Alabama for College Football Playoff over team rules violation
Old 12-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #1064
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

First Responder Bowl canceled after weather delay: Boise State vs. Boston College ruled no-contest - SBNation.com
Old 12-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #1065
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
"The" Tate Martell has a very high opinion of himself.

If Haskins leaves (and I am assuming he will), I DREAD having Martell as the starting QB.

He is not good.

Last edited by hollmt : 12-26-2018 at 05:05 PM.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:57 PM   #1066
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I kinda wish that GT had gotten the First Responder Bowl.

And, given their performance, apparently so do they.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:21 PM   #1067
bob
College Starter

Quote:
I kinda wish that GT had gotten the First Responder Bowl.

And, given their performance, apparently so do they.

I just laughed out loud at that final offensive play. Seems like a fitting way to end things.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:03 PM   #1068
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I just laughed out loud at that final offensive play. Seems like a fitting way to end things.

Tech’s Johnson suffers worst retirement party ever

So went Johnson’s final game after 11 seasons at Tech. For the record, the last offensive play of his tenure was a fumbled snap on the Minnesota 9-yard line. Usually when someone is sent off like this, tar and feathers are also involved.

As last acts go, this one was about as uplifting as Romeo and Juliet’s. Didn’t Old Yeller go out something like this?
Old 12-26-2018, 11:28 PM   #1069
Atocep
Coordinator

TCU and Cal probably just played the ugliest bowl game in college football history.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #1070
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Tech’s Johnson suffers worst retirement party ever

So went Johnson’s final game after 11 seasons at Tech. For the record, the last offensive play of his tenure was a fumbled snap on the Minnesota 9-yard line. Usually when someone is sent off like this, tar and feathers are also involved.

As last acts go, this one was about as uplifting as Romeo and Juliet’s. Didn’t Old Yeller go out something like this?

So yesterday was the first time I've watched Georgia Tech this year. Is there a reason Oliver didn't play more? Other than Marshall is a senior?

I mean, it's clear watching the two run that Oliver is just an entirely different level of athlete.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:21 PM   #1071
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So yesterday was the first time I've watched Georgia Tech this year. Is there a reason Oliver didn't play more? Other than Marshall is a senior?

I mean, it's clear watching the two run that Oliver is just an entirely different level of athlete.

Senior loyalty as much as anything I could figure.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:52 PM   #1072
Atocep
Coordinator

The music city bowl needs to be stopped at halftime.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #1073
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The music city bowl needs to be stopped at halftime.

People may be happy in Louisville and second-guessing themselves in West Lafayette after this.

Wow.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #1074
cuervo72
Head Coach

This is definitely pretty ugly!
Old 12-28-2018, 01:58 PM   #1075
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
People may be happy in Louisville and second-guessing themselves in West Lafayette after this.

Wow.

Ah, I doubt the latter. I’m late to the bandwagon, but it seems to me Brohm is doing a good job with what talent-wise was a pretty good shit sandwich coming in. (Like, oh, most of the defense.) I don’t think this changes the view on his recruiting turnaround.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #1076
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Whats the feeling on Dexter Lawrence? Will the B sample clear him or did they "accidentally" take the wrong supplement?

Late to the party...obviously they took something either intentionally or unintenionally.

But .002 ppm is a pretty low concentration.

If they were going to take SARMs intentionally... there are much better choices.

Shrug... the tough part is, accordimg to a pretty close source, Dexter was at about 90% to return next year and finish his degree and be a mentor the same way Wilkins did this year. With a year ban, that obviously is of the table
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #1077
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Ah, I doubt the latter. I’m late to the bandwagon, but it seems to me Brohm is doing a good job with what talent-wise was a pretty good shit sandwich coming in. (Like, oh, most of the defense.) I don’t think this changes the view on his recruiting turnaround.

Well, 2nd guessing their joy in WL anyway.

High profile wins this year to be certain buuuuut ... will actually finish with a worse record than they had last year. Certainly a perplexing team.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:19 AM   #1078
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Given that the Washington defense has been among the very best in the country in each of the last four years, you'd think that they would get more respect from ESPN commentators. And yet in both the Cal/TCU game and the WSU/Iowa State game commentators opined that the Big 12 opponent was the "best" defense the Pac-12 team had faced this season.

Yeah, sorry, but no. By no metric are either the TCU or Iowa State defenses better than Washington's.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:04 PM   #1079
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Given that the Washington defense has been among the very best in the country in each of the last four years, you'd think that they would get more respect from ESPN commentators. And yet in both the Cal/TCU game and the WSU/Iowa State game commentators opined that the Big 12 opponent was the "best" defense the Pac-12 team had faced this season.

Yeah, sorry, but no. By no metric are either the TCU or Iowa State defenses better than Washington's.
Counterpoint: any defense playing against any of those 4 quarterbacks in TCU/Cal is automatically a top 5 defense!

Seriously though TCU and Patterson still has the rep as a good defensive team even though it hasn't been true in like 6 years. Crazy stat mostly from those early years though - TCU is now 10-0 under Patterson when they throw for less than 100 yards.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:55 PM   #1080
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Senior loyalty as much as anything I could figure.

Either that or the fact that other people were calling for Oliver meant CPJ was going to stuburnly stick to Marshall.

Unrelated thought: I don’t think it can be understated how much ESPN has played into the narrative that other bowl games don’t matter. An extremely large amount of this UF - Michigan game was spent talking about Clemson vs. Notre Dame and that’s been the theme this whole bowl season. They’ll spend the entire halftime shows of some games talking about the playoffs instead of some of the days’ games.

Hope tonight’s games are good after all the build up.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #1081
Atocep
Coordinator

There's a decent change Holgorsen is nudged to the Houston opening. It's going to come down to whether or not he's willing to make some staff changes. He doesn't have the best relationship with the current AD so it's probably a 50/50 thing at this point.

If he does move on the top name appears to be Neal Brown from Troy with Josh Heupel and Chad Lunsford among other names. Not exactly an inspiring list of candidates.

With Gee's ties to Ohio State and the AD's ties to Bama it wouldn't be a surprise to see them kick the tires at those programs too although I don't think anyone on either staff would be a realistic option.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:46 PM   #1082
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Unrelated thought: I don’t think it can be understated how much ESPN has played into the narrative that other bowl games don’t matter. An extremely large amount of this UF - Michigan game was spent talking about Clemson vs. Notre Dame and that’s been the theme this whole bowl season. They’ll spend the entire halftime shows of some games talking about the playoffs instead of some of the days’ games.

Hope tonight’s games are good after all the build up.

Given the number of zero character players who sit them out these days, maybe they have an unfortunate point.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #1083
bob
College Starter

Are they not important anymore because players are sitting them out, or are players sitting them out because they’re not important anymore?

Related to the first game, Notre Dame needed to play their best game and haven’t done that along with Clemson getting some pretty good luck. Hope game two delivers.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:07 PM   #1084
Galaril
Pro Starter

I am a ND fan but please NCAA stop putting these bums in the playoffs or championship they frankly are not deserving sad to say.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:14 PM   #1085
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Are they not important anymore because players are sitting them out, or are players sitting them out because they’re not important anymore?

I think we've reached the point where it's definitely the former.

Today's UF-Michigan scenario was kind of the tipping point for me I think. (Though WV-Cuse was a lower profile version of the same thing really)
Old 12-29-2018, 05:16 PM   #1086
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And, of course, the shrill sound you hear on the wind is the whining emanating from the greater Athens, GA area by the red & black contingent.

CKS has already proven that, in 2018 at least, he's not a playoff caliber HC, not on gameday. But that won't keep the mangy mutts from pretending.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-29-2018 at 05:17 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:33 PM   #1087
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
And, of course, the shrill sound you hear on the wind is the whining emanating from the greater Athens, GA area by the red & black contingent.

CKS has already proven that, in 2018 at least, he's not a playoff caliber HC, not on gameday. But that won't keep the mangy mutts from pretending.
The issue is the system itself. Given the system in place, of *course* ND belongs there and UGA doesn't.

Actually, it was last year that really cemented my thinking on how borked this whole thing is. The #4 seed was a significant *favorite* in both of its game, and won both games. Yet probably half the country was arguing that said #4 seed didn't belong in there, and they had a pretty strong argument under the stupid system in place.

When the worst seed in the playoffs is the team the majority of people expect to win it all, you have a laughably dumb system.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 12-29-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:46 PM   #1088
bob
College Starter

I still never understood the UGa argument that they played well in a loss and got ass blasted by a three loss team = top 4 team.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:59 PM   #1089
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I still never understood the UGa argument that they played well in a loss and got ass blasted by a three loss team = top 4 team.

Rarely can one find logic in a UGAg argument.

They might have had top 4 talent but, at least for now, they lack top 4 coaching on game day.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #1090
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How is that not a fumble
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:04 PM   #1091
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bullshit.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:08 PM   #1092
bob
College Starter

Save your anger for a call that matters. This game was over at 16-3
Old 12-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #1093
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't particularly care but a fumble is a fumble. #MJWD 2.0
Old 12-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #1094
bob
College Starter

I think the refs called forward progress too early but that’s not reviewable
Old 12-29-2018, 06:44 PM   #1095
bob
College Starter

I hope Oklahoma wins because I personally have no interest in Clemson - Alabama again
Old 12-29-2018, 06:52 PM   #1096
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

So Clemson Oklahoma 3 is better than Clemson Bama 4
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #1097
bob
College Starter

Would it really be the third time they’ve played in the playoffs? Guess I just don’t remember as well as I used to.

I’m just sick of non-stop hearing about Clemson and Alabama. I acknowledge they are the best programs at this point
Old 12-29-2018, 07:06 PM   #1098
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That shrill whining noise you may be hearing isn't just a delusional fanbase.

A number of UGAg players are embarrassing themselves on Twitter this evening.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #1099
Galaril
Pro Starter

Let's see how many years of Clemson/OSU vs Bama/Georgia it takes to go to 8, or 12 team playoff. Divsion 2 and 3 figured it out a long time ago.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:10 PM   #1100
bob
College Starter

So maybe I’m missing something but based on what I just saw online Clemson and Oklahoma have never played each other in the college football playoff

Correction: 2015.

Last edited by bob : 12-29-2018 at 07:11 PM.