Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

MLB The Show 17

Being on west coast time this unlocked at 9 for me last night and I was able to get in a quick game.

I have felt the game, while very good, was not really making huge strides the last couple of releases, but this years game, wow.

I don't have a PS4 pro or a 4K TV, but man, the graphics still pop and are much more fluid than any previous version. Even reading the seam rotation on pitches. Players faces, especially eyes, look so much more lifelike, and even the crowd interaction is better.

Hit variety is incredible from the new ball physics, to the way the ball caroming off the wall is much more unpredictable and the outfielders don't always take the correct angle.

More on the new ball physics, this addition in itself makes the game worth buying this year IMO, besides the curving hits down the line, there are a lot more choppers, dying quails into the outfield when you hit it off the end of the bat, bunting is much more realistic, bad hops over a fielders glove. Everything you would see in a real game.

Commentary is much improved and tailored to specific situations and Reynolds and Plesac add a ton when your game is on the MLB network. Hoping it stays fresh as I play longer.

Computer AI is also better, giving you a variety of throws, making better decisions and taking realistic angles. Had a cool moment last night where I hit a nubber down the first base line. It was just in foul territory and the first baseman ran up and flicked it towards the dugout to make sure it stayed foul. If this has ever happened before, I missed it, still very cool.

Edit: It may also have the best intro to a sports game ever, I had no desire whatsoever to skip through it.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 03-28-2017 at 09:12 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
TroyF
Coordinator

Very good game. They upgraded RTTS with some role play type features to liven it up a little. (Note: all of those features do not work 100% at this point, but they do add some spice)

massive overhaul of Diamond Dynasty if you like that sort of thing. Ridiculous on the requirements for the great players though.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #3
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Since NCAA is no longer here, it's my only EVERY year video game purchase. Game looks fantastic.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Must stop reading..,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
djsatu
High School Varsity

Installing update now! Who is everyone starting a franchise with? I'm thinking the Pirates would be a fun team to start with before playing as the Blue Jays.

Last edited by djsatu : 03-28-2017 at 11:34 AM.
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

Gonna try and bring my Yankees back to glory with the baby bombers. I will say this, the player traits/quirks really add to this game and make players differences stand out.

Gary Sanchez is going to be a beast this year in the show, hopefully in RL too.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:13 PM   #7
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Must stop reading..,

You're right, start playing!!
Old 03-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #8
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

This has been a day one purchase for me since '09. Far and away the best running sports title on the market. They do an amazing job of capturing the "Baseball feels" and putting you right there in it.

Their Road to the Show mode is highly addictive. I must have logged well over 1,000 hours over the years. MLB 16 (last years game) allowed you to carry over your player from the previous game.

Video game crack.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:22 PM   #9
FBPro
College Starter

LOVE this game, got last night @ 9, installed, updated by 10:30.......now have to wait till Saturday evening to play....sad.......
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:35 PM   #10
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I'll probably get it once baseball season starts and I get the itch. What improvements have been made to RTTS? Eliminating some of the load times last year helped a ton.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:54 AM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'll probably get it once baseball season starts and I get the itch. What improvements have been made to RTTS? Eliminating some of the load times last year helped a ton.

Not a RTTS guy, but I do know they added some "RPG" elements like FIFA 17 had with that option, not sure how deep though.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #12
djsatu
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Played this mode for the first time and love it! Simming takes no time, and the RPG story mode elements are cool. I'm playing mister nice guy, but I'm pretty sure if you were an egotistical *******, the scenarios would change which is good. Haven't played any other modes as the servers were down all day and night yesterday. 2 big thumbs up so far. Can totally see why people would play this mode to death.

Last edited by djsatu : 03-29-2017 at 10:47 AM.
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:27 PM   #13
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Must stop reading..,

Welp, at least I'm not the only one.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:20 AM   #14
BYU 14
Coordinator

This is pretty cool and something I have never seen before. Runner on second, single up the middle, but not so fast. It hits the bag and Bird gets thrown out at home assuming it was through.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:17 AM   #15
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Welp, at least I'm not the only one.

A bit easier since I am out of town on vacation. I'm sure as soon as I get back I will be on board.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:55 AM   #16
CraigSca
Pro Starter

You can tell how much the lighting has changed from last year. Played a game at the Trop last night and it was BRIGHT. I don't remember it being that nice before.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #17
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
A bit easier since I am out of town on vacation. I'm sure as soon as I get back I will be on board.

Eh, it got me last night and of course I land on the Yankees in RTTS mode. How do I force trades again?
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #18
BYU 14
Coordinator

Sitting at 9-11 through 20 games in my Yankees franchise, but took the first two games of the year against the Red Sox 3-1 and 9-5.

This is the 3-1 win, with Headley making a nice backhand play to save a run in the bottom of the 8th, then Sanchez and Solar going back to back in the top of the 10th. (I picked up Solar so I could bring Judge along a bit slower)

One cool little thing, after Solar's HR look for the fan in the monster seats with the Yankee jacket on.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:59 AM   #19
BYU 14
Coordinator

Some defensive gems from my Yankees franchise including a nice diving catch by Gregorious, Chris Carter catching a line drive and doubling a runner off 1st and Aaron Judge using all 6'8" to rob a HR.