Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #501
Izulde
Head Coach

Holy shit that's a steal.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #502
Izulde
Head Coach

Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods interview - everything we know so far | Features, Interviews, News | PC Gamer

Interview with more info on the pagan expansion.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #503
Izulde
Head Coach

Duct-Tape The Theism, Mend the Schism. Vassalise 3 Popes, 7 Patriarchs & 2 Caliphs

Most.epic.CK.accomplishment.ever.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:46 AM   #504
Izulde
Head Coach

75% off on CK II and some of the DLC on Steam. DLC includes Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, Sunset Invasion, and some graphics files (portraits and units) and some music files, which comes out to about 50 cents for the graphics and music files (though Songs of Byzantium is 25 cents).

Not included:
Mediterranean Portraits Pack (I bought it anyway because it was only $2 and I'm starting to really like playing in the Byzantine Empire)
The Republic (Still $10)
Miscellaneous music and graphics files

Sale runs until Feb. 21st.

Last edited by Izulde : 02-16-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:15 AM   #505
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Decided to pick up the Republic - not sure how often I will play a Republic but it will be nice to finally put together a Venetian trading empire.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:23 AM   #506
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm waiting for it to go on sale, as I don't have much interest in it.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #507
MrBug708
Head Coach

It was interesting, but GoT mod has it hard to play anything else.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #508
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
It was interesting, but GoT mod has it hard to play anything else.

This. I can't even remember when the last time I played without the GoT mod is.

Good news is that Republics will obviosuly help accurately model Free Cities, and the upcoming Viking expansion is really going to make Ironborn come alive methinks.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #509
MrBug708
Head Coach

The one complaint I have is that titles are always, always switching hands and things are never switching (or at least I believe so) that bad. I get the impression that revolts in Westeros probably happened during major rebellions and that there weren't people trying to claim Winterfell every 6 months
Old 02-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #510
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The one complaint I have is that titles are always, always switching hands and things are never switching (or at least I believe so) that bad. I get the impression that revolts in Westeros probably happened during major rebellions and that there weren't people trying to claim Winterfell every 6 months

The counter to this is the complaint of "once you get done with the big conflicts it get boring."

Is it a bit much at the moment for my tastes - yeah. But it's better than it being ungodly quiet. It's being looked at constantly though.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #511
MrBug708
Head Coach

I like boring. I love the family tree aspect and seeing what happens
Old 02-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #512
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Me too. Unfortunately we're not in the majority.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #513
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:

This - my favorite game so far has been playing Denmark for hundreds and hundres of years - with an elective kingship and a huge, squabbling ruling family, it's been a ton of fun.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 02-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #514
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Not sure how many of you have purchased the Republic DLC but I have been having a lot of fun with it so far. It's strange, it basically feels like you're playing a different game entirely only slightly connected to the rest of CK2 - unless you choose to go to war with another country basically it's all internal politics with the other patrician families (as Venice anyway) and trying to get as rich as you can.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #515
sabotai
General Manager

I've toyed around with it. Seemed pretty fun, but then Vicky2 stole my gaming attention again.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #516
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I've toyed around with it. Seemed pretty fun, but then Vicky2 stole my gaming attention again.

Heh. By an insane coincidence, that's exactly what I just fired up as well.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #517
PilotMan
Head Coach

Finally fired up my first game of II just to get a feel for it. Immediately sucked into a 4 hr game where things were going fine. Then I got impatient and it ended pretty quick after that. Lol.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #518
Izulde
Head Coach

I want to punch republics in the dick. They're way overpowered IMO. Completely ruined a fun little game I had as going as Napoli where I saved up to create Duchy of Capua, won Capua, then won revocatiion war.

And then Genoa and Pisa raped me each in turn for first my cities, then Capua itself, whereupon they stole the Duchy from me and I was right back to Napoli where I started. And of course I'd been building up Capua, the most valuable of the two counties, more than Napoli.

Fuck republics and their corporate bullshit. Next dynasty or continuance of dynasty (when I have time - this was a break from grading and thesis writing), I'm going to make it my mission to wipe out the republics.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #519
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I am loving my current game I started at the Third Crusade savepoint as Kingdom of Portugal - using CK2+ mod as I pretty much always do these days, along with Friends and Foes mod which I am trying out for the first time, but like. Portugal is interesting because it's such a small kingdom I really feel like I know everything that's going on. I've had some really interesting relationships with the republics so far - basically I kept getting sent gifts from the Republic of Tuscany and then eventually they asked me to start an embargo war against Genoa, and they would pay me to do so, as well as cover my costs if we lost.

Long and short we won, I got some nice money for destroying Genoese trading posts as well as the initial payment. Not sure if this is part of the Republic DLC or other mods I have but I found it fun.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #520
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Also, what do you guys think of the Tanistry succession? I have been loving it so much I am using it a lot of my recent games via the cheat code. For one it guarantees that the next leader will be in my dynasty, but provides some surprise as to actually who it will be - I like the surprise but it also gives me more interaction with my vassals, trying to pay them off to be more friendly in their votes (which you can't buy directly of course.)
Old 03-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #521
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am loving my current game I started at the Third Crusade savepoint as Kingdom of Portugal - using CK2+ mod as I pretty much always do these days, along with Friends and Foes mod which I am trying out for the first time, but like. Portugal is interesting because it's such a small kingdom I really feel like I know everything that's going on. I've had some really interesting relationships with the republics so far - basically I kept getting sent gifts from the Republic of Tuscany and then eventually they asked me to start an embargo war against Genoa, and they would pay me to do so, as well as cover my costs if we lost.

Long and short we won, I got some nice money for destroying Genoese trading posts as well as the initial payment. Not sure if this is part of the Republic DLC or other mods I have but I found it fun.

What does the CK2+ mod bring to the table?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #522
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

CK+ sharply reduces demense side, adds a lot more events and balancing, and makes you pay a lot more attention to your vassals - ie, in a civil war, they get to pick sides, so you can find yourself fucked. They also apparently tone down the Golden Horde some. Makes for harder but balanced gameplay.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #523
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well really too many to individually list here - it uses a package of mods to sort of go in and adjusts a lot of things that I believe make the regular game more fun and playable - adds a lot of plots and ambitions, as well as the events keyed to them, more mercenaries and actually a better mercenary system in general. It goes over the titles and adds a lot of titles - a lot of them are titular titles that aren't linked to particular land areas. I really like the updates it does to traits - it tries to make them less "all good or all bad" and most of them give you a bit of each.

Other changes I like are less rebellions - they tend to take effect as just penalties to the province where they happen instead of a force of guys appearing.

Additionally there are some optional mods that go along with it - one which I like just does a universal pass to make the genders equal for all councillors and inheritances. You might argue this makes the game less historical, but I think it actually helps as your daughters and sisters are now less just marriage pawns (that still works) but makes them more of a major part of the game.

Another optional mod disables assaults during seiges - makes the AI more effective and less suicidal.

Full feature list (with spoilers)
Old 03-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #524
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Additionally the Friends and Foes mod tries to overhaul traits entirely - it focuses on giving characters less traits overall to make them more understandable and with less contradictory traits - as well each character gets a sort of general trait - using the historical humours - choleric, sanguine, melancholic and phlegmatic. There are additionally over 100 new traits added, but due to the reduction of traits characters seem less spammed with traits and for people like me who like to roleplay my rulers a bit it makes it a lot easier.

it also tries to make the development of friends and foes a more fun system - more events and storylines triggering off your characters interactions with a few people. It also gives you more minor titles and gives you an estate system - for landless characters you can grant "estates" which give them a small income, and can increase the estates up to three tiers I believe. This gives you an option for landless heirs and relatives without having to constantly break up your demesne, as well as a way to reward councilors, which is important with CK2+ as you need to keep them on your good side.

Friends and Foes mod

Last edited by Peregrine : 03-19-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #525
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

And Peregrine is about to make me fire up CK 2 again after I hunt down these mods. Thanks for the mod suggestions. I'm at 200 hours of time spent with this game, according to STEAM, and I've yet to mod it.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #526
MrBug708
Head Coach

CK2 really drags for me after about 40 years of game time.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #527
Groundhog
Coordinator

I haven't touched CK2 much since my Muslim kingdom in Spain. I was going so well, about 200 years in and captured much of Spain, when those infidels in Vatican city called a crusade... It was a very quick death for me after that.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #528
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I haven't touched CK2 much since my Muslim kingdom in Spain. I was going so well, about 200 years in and captured much of Spain, when those infidels in Vatican city called a crusade... It was a very quick death for me after that.

If the HRE gets involved in a crusade you're fucked. The way they can call up 10K stacks is unbeatable.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #529
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If the HRE gets involved in a crusade you're fucked. The way they can call up 10K stacks is unbeatable.

UNless they meet the Mongol Hordes, who can destroy them. In my game, the total troop strength of the Golden Horde is ~340K troops!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #530
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
CK2 really drags for me after about 40 years of game time.

Really? I love it because I can set 100 year goals (I'm 120 years in, and about to establish the Kingdom of Greece - super psyched.)
Old 03-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #531
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Only thing I dislike about CK2 is the HRE - it's huge, it blobs up everything, and it spreads to all corners of the globe. If I could find a mod which would just remove it I'd be happy.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #532
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Only thing I dislike about CK2 is the HRE - it's huge, it blobs up everything, and it spreads to all corners of the globe. If I could find a mod which would just remove it I'd be happy.

My favorite game of CK 2 I ever had both the collapse of France and the collapse of the HRE.

France fell to Muslim infidels about the same time the HRE had been picked apart by internal strife so much that the actual HRE was limited to just two duchies. Everyone else was independant.

On the flip side of this, my least favorite game of CK 2 involved the HRE becoming so bloated that they actually began to takeover the English Peninsula when I quick playing that save.

Last edited by dubb93 : 03-19-2013 at 07:36 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #533
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Really? I love it because I can set 100 year goals (I'm 120 years in, and about to establish the Kingdom of Greece - super psyched.)

I mean it slows down really bad
Old 03-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #534
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

Jealous. I tried that, but just as I was about to gain the last couple of provinces the Turks came in and beat me back to a single county.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #535
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Jealous. I tried that, but just as I was about to gain the last couple of provinces the Turks came in and beat me back to a single county.

I started as Epirus (duchy, 4 counties) - lots of fun. What's fascinating is that Byzantines were on a clear downward trend, but there current leader (35 years) has put them on the path to redemption and basically carved up the Sultante of Rum (I've picked a few territories as well). The Golden Horde is on our doorstep, but has yet to pick a fight with either me or the Byzantines - fascinating, but it makes me live in perpetual fear that my game maybe over.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 03-19-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #536
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Sounds like a fun game Crapshoot. I played Epirus in one game, but I picked as a point to start with the Latin Empire (fantastic starting spot time-wise if you're interested in playing in the Greece/Balkans/Anatolia area.) In my game the Byzantine remnant managed to start off with a smashing victory over Rum and gained back a big chunk of Anatolia, and between myself in Epirus and them we just gradually ground the Latin Empire to pieces over a period of 30-40 years.

With the constant threats of Rum to the east, a rising Bulgaria to the north, Venice jabbing here and there, I kept giving the Byzantines gifts and plying them with my chancellor - so we had to fight essentially back to back to keep everyone else away from us - lot of fun.

I learned quite a bit about the Latin Empire when I visited Istanbul last year - amazing place and so stuffed full of history from the Roman period onward.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #537
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

Blobbing in general is an ass-pain in CK. I thought I remember seeing a mod somewhere that completely broke everything up into individual duchies and/or counties and turned into a free-for-all.

That would be a fun one to do once TOG comes out with the Republic-nerfing patch.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #538
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Blobbing in general is an ass-pain in CK. I thought I remember seeing a mod somewhere that completely broke everything up into individual duchies and/or counties and turned into a free-for-all.

That would be a fun one to do once TOG comes out with the Republic-nerfing patch.

There are mods that do that - for example in CK2+ there is an optional mod, Shattered World, which gives you two options - all counties start separately, or another where it breaks up everything into small areas with 3-4 provinces each. Both are fun to mess around with.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #539
Izulde
Head Coach

Ah, yes. Is Shattered World available separately? CK2+ is annoying.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #540
Izulde
Head Coach

Oh, and speaking of TOG...

...First Dev Diary up!

Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods - Dev Diary 1 - A Different Europe

Old 03-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #541
Peregrine
Pro Starter

There are others Izulde but they are also parts or options of larger mods - may have to hunt around a bit.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #542
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sounds like a fun game Crapshoot. I played Epirus in one game, but I picked as a point to start with the Latin Empire (fantastic starting spot time-wise if you're interested in playing in the Greece/Balkans/Anatolia area.) In my game the Byzantine remnant managed to start off with a smashing victory over Rum and gained back a big chunk of Anatolia, and between myself in Epirus and them we just gradually ground the Latin Empire to pieces over a period of 30-40 years.

With the constant threats of Rum to the east, a rising Bulgaria to the north, Venice jabbing here and there, I kept giving the Byzantines gifts and plying them with my chancellor - so we had to fight essentially back to back to keep everyone else away from us - lot of fun.

I learned quite a bit about the Latin Empire when I visited Istanbul last year - amazing place and so stuffed full of history from the Roman period onward.

Yeah, I spend years on wikipedia whenever I run into an empire I haven't been familiar with. I started at exactly that time, slowly took over the rest of Greece while keeping a watchful eye on the Byzantines (who expanded onto the Greek peninsula with a couple of counties, while destroying the remnants of the Latin Empire (which didn't hold up) and the Golden Horde, who swallowed up Bulgaria (an early threat to me, but a mere fly for the Horde).

Fascinating update last night - a small Byzantine civil war broke out, at the same time the Horde decided it was time to take Anatolia (6 Counties!!) from the Byzantines. I opportunistically took a county (pressing my de jure claims as Greece - thank you Queen), and convinced another made independent by the cival war to become my vassal - while the Mongols just cut the entire Byzantine Empire in half. The realm size is down to 71 - and quite frankly, I don't expect them to be around for more than 50 years. The basic risk in my game right now is when the Horde is coming for me - and anyone else. They had a brief civil war (really, best time to catch the Horde) but it petered out, and their total army strength is ~400,000 right now. For reference, my beloved Greece is at 40,000. Just like IRL, I may need the Germans / Holy Roman Empire to bail me out of my crisis, which is surely coming. At 1330 right now, curious if I can even make it to 1453.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 03-20-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #543
Schmidty
Coordinator

This sucks.

Since the CK2 patch on 3/25/13, my Game of Thrones mod screws up. Everything works fine, but no armies move at all. I've tried everything. It's frustrating because the GoT mod is the only reason I play this game.

Last edited by Schmidty : 03-28-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #544
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I can't even get the GOT mod to work. It launches and then crashes.

Not sure if I did something wrong during the installiation or not.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #545
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

This game has basically taken over my life. Its 1405, and so I have 48 years to take over 14 counties and take over as Byzantine Emperor.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #546
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
This game has basically taken over my life. Its 1405, and so I have 48 years to take over 14 counties and take over as Byzantine Emperor.

I love the game. It is really helping build my brain after so many seizures. It's a challenge. I sit here for a lot of hours just thinking about the smallest things. I've noticed that it has helped my memory and logistical thinking.

Epilepsy sucks, but this game is great!!
Old 03-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #547
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I love the game. It is really helping build my brain after so many seizures. It's a challenge. I sit here for a lot of hours just thinking about the smallest things. I've noticed that it has helped my memory and logistical thinking.

You should share this on the CK facebook page. Pretty good endorsement.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #548
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

It really is. I've spent 45 minutes just staring at the screen, scheming as I plan out my 3rd daughter's matrillienal marriage to someone who has a claim on a neighboring country so that their child (my dynasty) will be able to incorporate it into my Kingdom. If you had told me I would be doing this at 15, I would have jumped off a bridge. This is my game of the past 5 years; only FM has taken more of my time.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #549
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This sucks.

Since the CK2 patch on 3/25/13, my Game of Thrones mod screws up. Everything works fine, but no armies move at all. I've tried everything. It's frustrating because the GoT mod is the only reason I play this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I can't even get the GOT mod to work. It launches and then crashes.

Not sure if I did something wrong during the installiation or not.

This is weird...I haven't heard of any issues like this - I'll look into it though guys. Hmmm.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #550
MrBug708
Head Coach

So...Zombies anyone?