Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #101
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure if it's the actor or the writing in regards to the 'manic' feel. The pacing of the writing just has felt off to me.

Valid point. I think it's still early and everyone is still settling in to this season.

FWIW - I loved the last 2 episodes with the Weeping Angels. Liked the continued development of the River Song mystery, the continuing development of the Doctor/Amy relationship, the way the "crack" continues to be there as something that's being used to sort of "reboot" a bit and get rid of some stuff like the 80,000 Earth invasions that have occured and all.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-20-2010 at 08:52 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #102
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Honestly, I'm not sure if it's the actor or the writing in regards to the 'manic' feel. The pacing of the writing just has felt off to me.

And why did River Song go from being smart and wise to just being a blithering nitwit?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #103
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
And why did River Song go from being smart and wise to just being a blithering nitwit?

Yeah, she (and the interaction between her and the new doctor) was just...WTF. Primarily because...isn't she supposed to be dead/stored in memory anyway?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #104
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) is hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Crazy hot. redheads! oh my.

Enjoying the new season so far. Matt Smith feels OK so far, though I agree i think it'll take awhile before he seems to find his own groove. Fairly close to the way I'd expect Tennant to play the role right now.

Had on BBC America for an old ST:TNG (nothing like watching an American version of a British channel in order to see old American sci-fi), kids wanted me to keep it on for Dr. Who.

She is rather nice, isn't she.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #105
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

SI

Maybe the idea was because this adventure was before the previous adventure (she died in the library) - you could make the argument that she grew smarter and wiser every time she meets the Doctor: this was just earlier in her life.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #106
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Liked the conclusion to the two-parter. Particularly the Doctor's line to the mother like "You're far from the best of humanity."

Spoiler
Old 06-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #107
Bad-example
College Starter

1. Pretty clear that the new doctor isn't ever going to be as good as the guy he replaced.

2. They are still going overboard with the music. Distracting, annoying.

3. The lizardman episodes were ok, but the Van Gogh one was one of the worst since they dumped Donna Noble. An absolutely dreadful ending, with more of that horrible music. Painful.

4. I agree with the folk that say Amy Pond is hot.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #108
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sttfrk View Post
I've been enjoying Torchwood and Doctor Who on BBC America. They only just ended the second season of Doctor Who, haven't seen any eps of season 3 yet.

I have a question though, is Captain Jack on the 3rd season of Doctor Who or the upcoming 4th season?

It looks like BBCA will be airing Torchwood during its first run in the UK as season 2 premiers on January 26th.

Just to get caught up and chime in regarding the early conversation in this thread, I really liked Eccleston as the Doctor. I didn't really give Tennant a chance, but after the 5th or 6th episode finally started accepting him and now enjoy him as much as I did Eccleston. cthomer5000's assessment was right on.

Anyway, I know I don't post often (at all), but I thoroughly enjoy both these series.

Ok, there are two threads for this (this one the oldest), but this one stopped basically where I am in watching. So, this one gets the bump.

The quote sums me up pretty well. I never watched the old show (I did try to watch some of the bits and pieces they have on Amazon, but I didn't find them all that watchable), but I have been sucked in by the dreaded Netflix to watch the new series. I have really, really liked it. Much more than I thought I would (I generally hate time-travel crap). I can only watch them as my wife will let me, so that has slowed me down, but I have watched through the first two episodes of season 6 so far.

I loved David Tennant as the Doctor. I have this feeling that any one that takes that role for now on will pale as compared to him. Matt Smith hasn't been awful, though. He was actually a bit of fresh air after how dark the Tennant doctor got at the end of his run. But Tennant brought both a wimsy and gravitas to the doctor whenever it was called for, and I don't buy Smith at all when he tries to get tough.

As for companions, they all had their pluses and annoyances. Rose was the best (though Mickey needed to die. I actually didn't hate the mom). Tough, funny, and cute. I hated seeing her go. Martha was ok. The unrequited love thing got annoying (and her whole family again could have died), but she was smart and tough enough. Donna Noble grew on me. She wasn't as attractive as the other two (and her mom was a bitch), but at least we were saved the love thing with her. As others said, she was the big sister that I think worked well enough.

And then there is Amy. Way too pretty. She doesn't seem believable as a human being. To skinny and fragile, and not very bright. She constantly looks like a model posing. At least she not hard to look at while she takes up space. And Rory actually grew on me.

Anyway, that's my two bits if anyone cared. I still have the rest of season 6 to go, and then I'm going to have to find a way to see the first part of season 7 and the Christmas special before March 30th and the new episodes. From what I've seen of the new companion I'm afraid she is going to be a brunette Amy, but hopefully I'm wrong.

ps. Liked Torchwood. Still haven't watched all of Miracle Day (though I heard I'm not missing much), but Children of the Earth was fantastic.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #109
JediKooter
Coordinator

I love the old Dr. Who, especially the first 4 doctors. What got me into the original ones was from watching the new series. I would love to have the entire collection so I can just hide away for about a week and just go on a Dr. Who binge.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #110
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Ok, there are two threads for this (this one the oldest), but this one stopped basically where I am in watching. So, this one gets the bump.

The quote sums me up pretty well. I never watched the old show (I did try to watch some of the bits and pieces they have on Amazon, but I didn't find them all that watchable), but I have been sucked in by the dreaded Netflix to watch the new series. I have really, really liked it. Much more than I thought I would (I generally hate time-travel crap). I can only watch them as my wife will let me, so that has slowed me down, but I have watched through the first two episodes of season 6 so far.

I loved David Tennant as the Doctor. I have this feeling that any one that takes that role for now on will pale as compared to him. Matt Smith hasn't been awful, though. He was actually a bit of fresh air after how dark the Tennant doctor got at the end of his run. But Tennant brought both a wimsy and gravitas to the doctor whenever it was called for, and I don't buy Smith at all when he tries to get tough.

As for companions, they all had their pluses and annoyances. Rose was the best (though Mickey needed to die. I actually didn't hate the mom). Tough, funny, and cute. I hated seeing her go. Martha was ok. The unrequited love thing got annoying (and her whole family again could have died), but she was smart and tough enough. Donna Noble grew on me. She wasn't as attractive as the other two (and her mom was a bitch), but at least we were saved the love thing with her. As others said, she was the big sister that I think worked well enough.

And then there is Amy. Way too pretty. She doesn't seem believable as a human being. To skinny and fragile, and not very bright. She constantly looks like a model posing. At least she not hard to look at while she takes up space. And Rory actually grew on me.

Anyway, that's my two bits if anyone cared. I still have the rest of season 6 to go, and then I'm going to have to find a way to see the first part of season 7 and the Christmas special before March 30th and the new episodes. From what I've seen of the new companion I'm afraid she is going to be a brunette Amy, but hopefully I'm wrong.

ps. Liked Torchwood. Still haven't watched all of Miracle Day (though I heard I'm not missing much), but Children of the Earth was fantastic.

Pretty spot on with what I thought. Tho I do really think they made Donna like the Doctor's big sister and while annoying at first, I grew to appreciate the dynamic. Also, I think Eccleston was very good for a season to transition into Tennant.

Only watched the first season of Torchwood. Have the second season sitting around but haven't gotten to any episodes past the first. Candidate show to watch this summer.

Bump because season 7 returns on March 30

SI

Old 03-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #111
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

Bump because season 7 returns on March 30

SI

Yes. Very much yes.

I finally watched the first episodes and the Christmas Special for this year. I like the two semi-intros to the new companion. Can't wait for new shows.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #112
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

i have 5 of these sitting on the DVR. just couldn't get into the first two episodes.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #113
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The season ended with a combination of 'meh' and 'okay, that could be interesting'. The anniversary special in November should be very interesting.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #114
Bad-example
College Starter

The current shitty doctor is quitting. People are speculating on the new doctor. I thought John Hurt was next.

I hope the potato man and the lizard lady are gone too. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like they are dumping the head writer, so the show isn't likely to get much better in the short term.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #115
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I think Hurt is just in for the special in November.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #116
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Can't say I'm gonna miss Matt. Though the writing was poor, he still wasn't nearly as fun as Tenant or even Eccleston.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #117
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

See and I kinda liked Matt Smith although I will agree he is not Tenant. I have enjoyed this season and will admit while not the best writing on some episodes I love Moffat. I have been watching Doctor Who for a very long time so maybe I just enjoy the different incarnations having so many different Doctors.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #118
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Can't say I'm gonna miss Matt. Though the writing was poor, he still wasn't nearly as fun as Tenant or even Eccleston.

To each their own. I thought Tenant was great, but Eccleston was meh and annoying.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #119
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Smith's doctor grew on me. Annoyed me initially, but started to enjoy it after a while - I think part of me starting to enjoy it was reading about his rationale for the personality, which IMO made a lot of sense.

It was different though, yes.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #120
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I need to catch up as there are still quite a few eps on the DVR right now. I don't think the problem is Matt Smith. I think the problem is that, while a brilliant writer, Steven Moffat is not a good show runner. I'm not saying everything needs to be (over the top) heading towards a season finale like Russell T Davies but we seem to just be getting an aimless journey for 2 years.

SI

Old 08-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #121
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Never saw anything on this:
BBC News - Doctor Who: Peter Capaldi revealed as 12th Doctor

Personally, finally catching up through the end of season 7. I don't like how Neil Gaiman took the Cyberman and changed them from shambling zombies to the Borg. I still liked some of the ideas of the episode, tho.

But, as I said before, I still think that the show is rudderless. This season has had a couple of fun episodes but there are a lot without any real staying power in my mind. For instance, I enjoyed the Crimson Horror episode where we get to see the wacky Victorian trio again or the alien love story one was kindof cute but there has been a lot of generic schlock like the submarine one.

I think Amy and Rory leaving was supposed to have emotional heft and it kindof did. I think Clara's mystery is supposed to be interesting and I guess it kindof is but I'm fully expecting a letdown when we get an explanation. I'll watch the season finale in one of the next couple of nights and then it'll be on to next season. This is starting to fall off of my "most anticipated shows" list.

I am enjoying the little half hour series they have about each of the previous doctors. I don't know the older show as well as many people do and so it's fun an educational. Heck, I'm watching something in a "documentary" format, something I rarely can stand to watch, so that's probably a testament to the quality. I love John Barrowman's commentary as he's such a fanboy but, in general, it's more about the clips and rehashing of stories that I didn't know much about.

SI

Old 08-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #122
MJ4H
Coordinator

My wife randomly got hooked on Dr. Who at the beginning of this year. It has taken me this long to finally come around and give it a fair shot, and I'm becoming a full-blown Whovian. Well, maybe not quite full-blown, but a pretty big fan.

Here are my likes and dislikes:
1) Would watch anything with Karen Gillan in it. My word. I like her character, too.
2) Matt Smith is my favorite. I absolutely adore as much of series 5 I've seen (Smith's first). Something about the combination of the music and cinematography feels a little Burton/Elfman-esque. And only the good parts of that.
3) Wife predictably loves David Tennant. I like him, too, just think he over does it sometimes. I've liked all three doctors (and I can't even watch the classic seasons--they are painful).
4) Donna can jump off a cliff. I do like some of the episodes she's been in, and she is occasionally mildly tolerable, but, yeah, glad to see her go.
5) The episodes with Martha aren't very enjoyable. Whoever the writer or whatever during that time period just isn't very compatible with my tastes, I think. Martha herself is fine, just don't like most of the episodes.
6) Rose is awesome, and her finale is what hooked me on the show. My wife watched that episode with me in the room. I largely ignored it (but caught enough to know what was going on) until the end, and I was floored by the ending. Sent me straight to the internet to start reading background on the season and what all had just happened.
7) I think most of the recent story-telling has been fantastic. I get the irritation with some of the souffle-girl stuff, but I think the creativity of her whole story-line that came together in the finale was pretty brilliant, and I can forgive a lot for that. Plus Clara's really cute.
8) Pretty excited about the new doctor, but I will miss Matt.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #123
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

A friend recently got me hooked. Damn her!

I'm only at
Spoiler
with Matt Smith as the Doctor.

So far, Matt Smith is 3 out of 3 (only seen the recent version of the show.) At first with Tennant I missed Eckleston. It didn't take long to like him as the Doctor & then I suddenly had trouble imagining how the Doctor had been before. Smith... maybe if they hadn't changed EVERYTHING.

I liked the junky, clunky, dull-ish Tardis. Now it's a bit too polished and gaudy. I liked the older credits too. I really think the show lost a lot when Davies stepped aside.

As far as the companions, I really liked Rose in that 1st season. Thought she & Eckleston worked great together. I think once she got over the regeneration I got increasingly sick of her & the whole
Spoiler
I like Martha better away from the Doctor. Her pining for him like a lovesick puppy really got old fast. I actually liked her on Torchwood for that story arc best. Donna really grew on me. I loved that she would slap the Doctor & all of that. Now Amy so far is above average. I thought the rapport was best when they had Rory there though. Rory & the Doctor really had chemistry.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #124
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Google Maps

Click this link to the map of Earl's Court Road, then click the double-white arrows directly in front of the call box.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-13-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #125
Danny
Head Coach

I only found the show a couple years ago, but I now absolutely love Doctor Who.

And I already know you never type Dr., it's always Doctor
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #126
MJ4H
Coordinator

The Vincent Van Gogh episode is absolutely in my top 3 episodes.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #127
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

We're slipping.

No comments abount the Night of the Doctor mini-episode, or the upcoming 50th Anniv special?
Old 11-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #128
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I just watched the mini-episode last night, and I'm fucking geek-stoked for the 50th Anniversary Special.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #129
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Annnnnnnnnd guess who's ALSO in the 50th?

Tom Baker.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #130
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Annnnnnnnnd guess who's ALSO in the 50th?

Tom Baker.

Really? Sweet! I grew up watching Baker. He's probably still my favorite narrowly above Tennant.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #131
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Word is, he wasn't supposed to tell anyone. But, well, he did.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #132
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

GOOGLE DOODLE GAME ON GOOGLE.CO.UK

Google
Old 11-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #133
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Gah - I wish tomorrow would get here already!!

Also a little interested in this Atlantis show that'll be on at 9pm after the rerun.

Also, from the fact the rerun is 2 hours (7-9pm EST) and the first airing is 2:50pm-4:10pm (80 minutes) I think we can surmise it'll be 80 minutes with limited commercial interruptions.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-22-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #134
MartinD
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Gah - I wish tomorrow would get here already!!

Also a little interested in this Atlantis show that'll be on at 9pm after the rerun.

Also, from the fact the rerun is 2 hours (7-9pm EST) and the first airing is 2:50pm-4:10pm (80 minutes) I think we can surmise it'll be 80 minutes with limited commercial interruptions.

The UK TV schedule has it as a 75-minute program (starting at 7.50pm - same as 2.50 Eastern) on the commercial-free BBC1, so 'limited commercial breaks' seems a pretty safe assumption.
MartinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #135
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinD View Post
The UK TV schedule has it as a 75-minute program (starting at 7.50pm - same as 2.50 Eastern) on the commercial-free BBC1, so 'limited commercial breaks' seems a pretty safe assumption.

Nice.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #136
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

One could certainly argue this point about the overwritten trainwreck of The Stolen Earth/Journey's End (which I really do like a lot). But, I was watching The End of Time on BBCA today and it's the quintessential Russell T. Davies episode. There could be a multi-part episode where The Master takes over the world and turns everyone into himself, one where Gallifrey returns and The Doctor has to stop it, and one where The Doctor dies. But, no, they all have to be crammed into a single episode with a mostly unsatisfying resolution to at least two of them. (Stolen Earth/Journey's End "only" has to resolve the return of Rose, the return of Davros, the finale of Sarah Jane, and sortof the finale but not really of Torchwood, which is arguably smaller that what I just tossed out there for this "movie"/episode).

That said, I still think Davies was a better show runner than Moffat (tho Moffat is a much better writer)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-23-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #137
MJ4H
Coordinator

Really enjoyed the 50th anniversary special today.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #138
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure I like the plot they did there as it was "too easy" but I enjoyed it. Also, maybe Moffat has found his "big thing" to go after, considering his 3 seasons have seemed a bit rudderless.

SI

Old 11-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #139
Danny
Head Coach

I thought the 50th anniversary episode was fantastic. I
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #140
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I thought the 50th anniversary episode was fantastic.

Ditto. Mix of humor, sentimentality and gravitas was right on. I'm not a Matt Smith fan, but he really stepped up the game in this one, and Smith and Tennant were "brilliant" on screen together.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #141
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I thought they would hand this over more to Hurt or Tennant but this was a Matt Smith dominated episode and he pulled it off.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-26-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #142
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The interplay between all three was terrific. The entire episode could have been those three just fucking around and it woulda been awesome.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 11-26-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #143
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Agreed, my 11 yr old and I loved it!
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #144
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Great episode. The three of them together were gold.

Backed up by the fact that on Sunday they did a Matt Smith marathon so "Vincent & The Doctor" was on, which is one of those episodes that just...tugs at your heartstrings.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #145
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

This might be the best present of Christmas. Sweeeeeet
Old 12-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #146
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

The Silents? The Weeping Angels?

FML

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-25-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #147
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Hey look - the crack is back
Old 12-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #148
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

New kidneys!
Old 12-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #149
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Well there's your top secret surprise guest!!
Old 12-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #150
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Good episode - liked the follow-thru on Trenzalore and old-doctor. Thought the whole reasoning behind the new regeneration was a bit...weak.

Liked the bits with Clara. Liked the bit with the unannounced guest at the end - that brought a tear to my eye.