Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #1151
spleen1015
Coordinator

Joined the FOFC Trophy.

We need 7 more folks to get good prizes!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #1152
spleen1015
Coordinator

Make that 6 more teams for rewards!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #1153
wade moore
lolzcat

Yeah, there just doesn't appear to be one for Hockey.

Joining the Friends Trophy now - I'll be Colonials.

I have a buddy that probably would be interested in a Friends Trophy, but is not on FOFC - if we need people to get to 10, I could get him to jump in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #1154
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
So far I am enjoying Hunters 2, which is a Turn Based Strategy game I picked up yesterday.

I might take this back. Its possible that I suck, but I think it is designed to force you to buy credits. Otherwise you have to play the same level probably dozens of times.. many, many sozens (I haven't gotten there yet) before you are strong enough to beat it.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #1155
wade moore
lolzcat

Big Win must match you up based on Level.

This is problematic because of the aholes that dump a bunch of $$ in and have like a 66 rated team at level 8. Causes a bit of a problem when you go on a run of multiple 60+ rated teams when you're rated 40. Frustrating.

It should match based on team skill, not level. Or a combo of the two.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 05-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #1156
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Big Win must match you up based on Level.

This is problematic because of the aholes that dump a bunch of $$ in and have like a 66 rated team at level 8. Causes a bit of a problem when you go on a run of multiple 60+ rated teams when you're rated 40. Frustrating.

It should match based on team skill, not level. Or a combo of the two.

I've run into that issue as well. I am also frustrated by some of the results. My team will play a team that is 5-8 points lower in skill than mine and tie or lose, yet every time I play a team that is 5-8 better than mine, I lose 3-1 or 4-1.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #1157
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I've run into that issue as well. I am also frustrated by some of the results. My team will play a team that is 5-8 points lower in skill than mine and tie or lose, yet every time I play a team that is 5-8 better than mine, I lose 3-1 or 4-1.

Soccer seems better with that than Hockey.

i don't know what I'm missing in Hockey, but I consistently lose to teams better, the same, and worse than mine.

Soccer it seems that if there is a gap of more than 2 or 3 points, the better team generally wins.

Quote:
Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #1158
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Soccer seems better with that than Hockey.

i don't know what I'm missing in Hockey, but I consistently lose to teams better, the same, and worse than mine.

Soccer it seems that if there is a gap of more than 2 or 3 points, the better team generally wins.

You are right about that with regards to hockey vs. soccer.

Yesterday, I managed to finish 3rd in a Daily Trophy in the Hockey game. I used 10 of the bucks to get a gold pack and 4 of the 6 cards were gold players. I thought my team would start kicking ass, but it doesn't feel like it.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #1159
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
You are right about that with regards to hockey vs. soccer.

Yesterday, I managed to finish 3rd in a Daily Trophy in the Hockey game. I used 10 of the bucks to get a gold pack and 4 of the 6 cards were gold players. I thought my team would start kicking ass, but it doesn't feel like it.

My one gold pack had no players.

:grumble:

Quote:
Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #1160
wade moore
lolzcat

Although I got 2nd in my first Daily Trophy, so I should go get another one.

Quote:
Old 05-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #1161
wade moore
lolzcat

Now 3 gold packs and no players.

:grumble:

I got like 6 unis in those 3 packs though, lucky me?

Quote:
Old 05-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #1162
spleen1015
Coordinator

It is probably the baseball card collector kid in me, but I really like the way they have these games organized around the cards.

My only concern is that it will take a lot of time to get really good players if you don't spend money and it is pretty much impossible to get the Platinum players without spending money. Then, once you get them, you can't keep the players forever. You can only sign them to a limited number of contracts. I'm not sure what happens then. I assume the players retire?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #1163
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
It is probably the baseball card collector kid in me, but I really like the way they have these games organized around the cards.

My only concern is that it will take a lot of time to get really good players if you don't spend money and it is pretty much impossible to get the Platinum players without spending money. Then, once you get them, you can't keep the players forever. You can only sign them to a limited number of contracts. I'm not sure what happens then. I assume the players retire?
They retire.

Although it appears there is some sort of item you can get to unretire them. I'm not clear on whether that comes in packs or if it will cost big bucks, or what.

Quote:
Old 05-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #1164
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
They retire.

Although it appears there is some sort of item you can get to unretire them. I'm not clear on whether that comes in packs or if it will cost big bucks, or what.

It will probably cost big bucks.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #1165
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Guys - you are tempting me to try this out and join the league, but it was the IAP that kept me away. After some time with the game now, do you still recommend it??
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #1166
spleen1015
Coordinator

What is IAP?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #1167
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

IAP = in app purchase
Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #1168
wade moore
lolzcat

I think the game, for me so far, is 100% playable without the inapp purchases.

It's one of thsoe where now and then you'll get stomped by someone paying big money, but you'll get plenty of playability without putting out any real cash.

Quote:
Old 05-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #1169
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Agree with you wade, especially if we have a little fofc competition going where we all pretty much stick to rhe same ground rules.

Had a very rough FOFC trophy. Lots of tough teams and the ones that looked winnable, well we choked them
Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #1170
spleen1015
Coordinator

I haven't spent any real money and I am enjoying both games.

I am in a good spot to win my Daily Trophy today in the soccer game. I have 30 points through 13 games. 2nd place has 23 points through 15 games and no one else is even close.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #1171
spleen1015
Coordinator

I should get an iphone/ipad dev kit and come up with a simple little game that is addictive with these IAPs and make a fortune that way.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #1172
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm not quite as far, but I've found a fairly inexpensive alternative that's been very successful into the middle of league 3:
Bertie Schweister (#40 - 500K) - 22(+2)(+2)44; Intercept when you roll a 4
Dmitri Bubbletop (#46 - 900K) - 224457: Through Pass when all dice are even
Andy Robin (#39 - 416K) - 222444; (x2) when you roll a 2

You are guaranteed to advance with possession unless Bubbletop rolls a 5 or 7. At that point, you likely have a x2 and can double that and still probably advance. Bubbletop is only about 1/9 the price (900K) of El Toro ($7M). And, he's only a small step below him. I'd also highly recommend the possessive GF entourage. This makes Bubbletop 335568 against goalies.

For D, I have the same as you:
Three Lung Park (#29 - 50K) - 12W344; Reroll if you roll a 2
Kello The Tourist (#36 - 75K) - 222444; Zonal Marking on all three opponent's dice when you roll a pair
Zachary Santa (#35 - 78K)- 222444; (-1) on all opponent's dice when you roll a pair

For basically 200K - this is a formidable defense.

Goalie:
Twin Powers (#33 - 260K) - 233455; x2 if you roll a 3

With his x2, he's basically 245566. Short of paying $7M for Ikea, he's by far the best goalie value. A 5 or 6 (66% chance) is enough to tie or beat atleast 2/3 values of top strikers.

Given you can get this entire team for a little over $2 mil (or 30% of El Toro), I feel like it's a pretty good value. You get $1 mil from beating the season 2 tournament 2. That combined with other winnings along the way should let you have this group by season 3. You can then try to get Neon's super team as the cash comes in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I've settled in on my current lineup and am currently demolishing most season 4 teams.

Andy Robin - 222444; (x2) when you roll a 2
El Toro - 345668; Through Pass when all dice are even
Berie Schweister - 22(+2)(+2)44; Intercept when you roll a 4

Essentially, Robin and Schweister will always give you even numbers. El Toro has a 2 in 3 chance of hitting an even number and getting you past any matching lineup. El Toro is also ridiculous against most goalkeepers.

Make sure to use Possessive GF as entourage. It adds +1 to your total if you have possession... which means El Toro is 456779 against Goalkeepers 1-on-1.

Also use Dicey Dave entourage to get a free (x2) if the opponent's total roll is 6 or more than yours.

One notable exception is the Breeze team in Season 4. I used a combination of El Toro, Vain Looney, and Messy, just because it's more efficient to use brute force to beat them.

Defense combo:

Three Lung Park - 12W344; Reroll if you roll a 2
Kello The Tourist - 222444; Zonal Marking on all three opponent's dice when you roll a pair
Zachary Santa - 222444; (-1) on all opponent's dice when you roll a pair

This defense is awesome as well. As long as you know how to play your re-rolls, you can whittle down most opposing forward combinations to oblivion.

Goalkeeper: Ikea Quesadillas - (+2)(+2) 4 5 8 10; -1 to opponent dice when you roll a 4.

Last edited by Arles : 05-08-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #1173
spleen1015
Coordinator

We need 4 more to join the FOFC Trophy in Big Win Soccer.

Come on folks!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #1174
Capital
High School Varsity

Totally agree that the came is playable without in game money but it will take a lot to get 100 Bucks to buy a platinum pack. Anyway, my experience with the gold players is that you can renew them 5 times before they retire. You also need to play cards to win as they do tip the scale in a game that's close in rating.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #1175
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'll join in a day or two when I have time to play.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #1176
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
On the opening screen, to the left of the big "Play" button, is the word "Welcome", above a little gold colored bubble that in your case I imagine says the word "Golfer" next to a pencil icon.

I think that you may have been right but unfortunately it has been replaced by a save 50% on your next game add. Even though I purchased the game, I have a free games add in the upper left, more fairway in the upper right, PLAY in the middle, save 50% on the left, gopher on the right and an add at the bottom.

That's 4 adds on the welcome screen. Oh well...all this to find a login to change my name from "Golfer".
Old 05-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #1177
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
We need 4 more to join the FOFC Trophy in Big Win Soccer.

Come on folks!
I started out really strong, but then faded in my later games.

Having the FOFC Trophy is great, I think it's going to be tough to consistently get the 10 per day that we need though.

Quote:
Old 05-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #1178
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I started out really strong, but then faded in my later games.

Having the FOFC Trophy is great, I think it's going to be tough to consistently get the 10 per day that we need though.

I say we open it up to folks outside of FOFC then. First 10 to get in. I know of 1 person that might want to join.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #1179
wade moore
lolzcat

The person I thought of is already bored with it .

But he's used to playing FIFA, etc.. he doesn't like that there's no control over tactics, etc.

As a side note - "watching" games is making me frustrated over some AI.

Like having two players on a breakaway and they pass it back and forth 8 times that slows them down and never get a real shot off because of it.

Quote:
Old 05-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #1180
Bobble
College Prospect

I'm in for the Big Win tourney but I see that there's only like an hour and a half left. Is that right?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #1181
Capital
High School Varsity

Yes...the games end at 5:00 ET each day. How do you get into just a FOFC daily trophy? It seems to me that the game just matches up teams by level.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #1182
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
Yes...the games end at 5:00 ET each day. How do you get into just a FOFC daily trophy? It seems to me that the game just matches up teams by level.
Go to Friends Trophy, and under Create or Join a Friends Trophy, type "FOFC"
Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #1183
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

well, we only need to get 10 people to qualify, i.e. play at least three games.

Come on people!

Maybe we should start a thread for the game...

FM
Old 05-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #1184
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

oh, and I finished 3rd in my soccer daily trophy, earning something like 15 big bucks, when all was said and done, I was left with 24 big bucks, woohoo two gold packs!!!

FM
Old 05-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #1185
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

and I thought it was kinda funny to read "Congratulations you finished 7th in your friends trophy!" when there was only 7 teams entered, heh

Oh well, the daily trophy made up for it...

FM
Old 05-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #1186
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Changed my team name from Gizmos to ABC Utd
Old 05-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #1187
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

My first gold pack...got me a gold GK. Yippie.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #1188
Capital
High School Varsity

Love getting to open a gold pack...only to find out that I didn't draw any players...it's still that momentary excitement.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #1189
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Is there a Hockey FOFC Cup, or just the Soccer version?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #1190
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm increasingly getting frustrated.

Around level 10 is when you seem to really start to get skill imbalances.

My record dropped dramatically around that level in both as I consistently get matched up against teams in their 50s and 60s while I'm in the low 40s.

Quote:
Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #1191
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

This week (most likely through Sunday the 13th or so) you can get LostWinds on iOS for free by going to Starbucks. Usually they have songs as a "pick of the week" but sometimes they have iBooks or apps. This week is apparently a platformer. You can either go into the store and pick up one of the cards with the free download code OR you should be able to go into the store with an iPhone or iPod Touch with WiFi on and the Starbucks app. If you go into a Starbucks and use the app, you'll see a "SDN" option to go to the Starbucks Network and you can usually download the pick of the week that way without having to hunt for a card. At least, that's how it works with songs. No idea if the game is any good, but thought I'd pass it along. It's normally $3.99. I might try to go get it in the morning.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #1192
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

I joined the FOFC Trophy group as "Carlsbad SC"
Old 05-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #1193
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
and I thought it was kinda funny to read "Congratulations you finished 7th in your friends trophy!" when there was only 7 teams entered, heh

Oh well, the daily trophy made up for it...

FM

FM, just got the game and I like it, thanks! Some questions... When I played the first 3 "qualifying" matches, were those against live opponents? Or CPU teams? I'm curious if all games are live and if there are situations where you can't play since no-one else is on-line?

This would be awesome as a baseball game...
Old 05-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #1194
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
FM, just got the game and I like it, thanks! Some questions... When I played the first 3 "qualifying" matches, were those against live opponents? Or CPU teams? I'm curious if all games are live and if there are situations where you can't play since no-one else is on-line?

This would be awesome as a baseball game...

My impression is that it is all "live".

However, I don't know how they'd handle the issue you mentioned.

Quote:
Old 05-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #1195
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm increasingly getting frustrated.

Around level 10 is when you seem to really start to get skill imbalances.

My record dropped dramatically around that level in both as I consistently get matched up against teams in their 50s and 60s while I'm in the low 40s.

After the reset at 5pm, I'm having shitty luck. I have played 10 games I think and every single one of them have been against teams at least 10 skill points higher than me.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #1196
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

The friend cup doesn't let us play against each other. We just get to see how we all compare against opponents close to use. It looks like we get matched up by level and not skill points.

For those looking for a little extra boost, follow the "free bucks" link and choose the top item. You get taken to a website to sign up for something, but you don't have to sign up to get the free buck. This offer refreshes every hour, so you could work in at least one gold pack a day.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #1197
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Sigh. After several days of playing the Big Win games, it dawned on me that these are Free to Play, Pay to really Play games.

I decided to delete both from my iPhone.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #1198
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Sigh. After several days of playing the Big Win games, it dawned on me that these are Free to Play, Pay to really Play games.

I decided to delete both from my iPhone.

Despite my endorsement above, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm turning to this opinion as well. Early levels are fine, but after a couple of days it feels like it's turning.

Quote:
Old 05-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #1199
QuikSand
lolzcat

So I started up a Big Win soccer team (Cheapshots), and in the space of one real life day I may have progressed through the entire twelve step program to "there's no point to this." Guess I got my money's worth.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #1200
wade moore
lolzcat

Awesome.

Staring at my 42 rated level 11 team playing a 75 rated level 11 team that is 31-2 and using 3 Gold Cards.

These guys seem to be smart in the Goal Line Blitz way. Wonder how much cash they're making.

Quote: