Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Baseball Mogul 2006 Preview Thread (Yes, Virginia, there ARE lefties and righties!)

Alrighty, I'm going to do this similarly to the way I did the OOTP preview, just sort of "dynasty-style." Feel free to post questions/comments.

STARTUP
First off, the game can be started in any year from 1901-2005. Past seasons are compatible with the Lahman database. You can also use a custom roster set, created by yourself or other users. Then, when picking a team, the following options are available (as per the BM2K6 Help File):
Quote:
NEW GAME DIALOG
The New Game Dialog lets you set all the parameters of your game of Baseball Mogul before you begin play:

Mogul Name: Type your name in this field. This is the name by which your accomplishments will be recorded in the Baseball Mogul Hall of Fame if you earn a place.

Team City: Choose the city of the team that you would like to play from among the list. Because New York and Chicago each have two teams, they are each listed twice. If you wish to play a New York or Chicago team, be sure you have selected the exact team you wish to play.

Team Name: This field contains the name of the team you are controlling. You can personalize your game by editing this name.

Difficulty: This controls the intelligence of your computer opponents during Baseball Mogul. On the lowest and highest difficulty levels, the game engine and financial model are also altered somewhat. On the 'Fan' level, you actually have an easier time being profitable than the computer-controlled opponents. But on the 'Mogul' level, the cards are stacked against you.

The levels of difficulty in Baseball Mogul are:

• Fan (Beginner)
  • Coach (Intermediate)
  • Manager (Difficult)
  • Mogul (Very Difficult)
After you have selected your team and preferences, click the 'Play' button and Baseball Mogul will take you to the Standings Screen at the beginning of your first season. Your team is capitalized among the list of teams in your league.

Advanced New Game Options

There are three items advanced users can employ to provide variety in a new game of Baseball Mogul:

Shuffle Players
This randomly distributes all the players in the league. If you've gotten tired of starting with the standard team rosters, you may wish to choose this option and see how you do with a random selection of players to start with.

Equalize Cities
A team's success in Baseball Mogul depends largely on the resources of it's home city. Checking 'Equalize Cities' causes all cities to be given the same population and financial stats. This will put all teams on a level playing field as far as monetary resources. When running a league, you can combine this feature with a draft (using Roster File) or with Shuffle Players to create a more balanced game. Team financial stats are equalized only if you choose Equalize Cities AND Shuffle players.

Simulation Mode
Part of what makes Baseball Mogul enjoyable is the degree of unpredictability each time you play. One young player might develop into a superstar the first time you play, and be mediocre the next. Simulation Mode removes much of this randomness from Baseball Mogul. Players will mature and age along pretty much the same career path every time you play in Simulation Mode. This is useful if you wish to use Baseball Mogul as a tool to predict the outcome of a baseball season or a player's career. Or if you just prefer a more predictable version of the game.

Draft Players
Checking this box will initiate a Fantasy Draft at the start of your new game.
I don't see the option that I'd best want to start with: fictional players. Here's hoping that Clay will add a fictional universe creator before release. I'll definitely make that suggestion. With no fictional option, I decide to start with the 2005 Atlanta Braves. (Surprise, surprise)

In the next post, I'll take a look at the drop-down menus and see what's new there.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 03-02-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Is there a release date for the game yet?
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Ben,

Not sure the last time you played BBM, but so far all these paramaters were in the last version I tried (last year). Just a heads-up that there's nothing new here (thus far, anyway).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
Swaggs
Coordinator

I liked the version that had the vowels switched out in players' names to avoid legalities.

Berry Bends ruled.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:03 PM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Berry Bends ruled.

I bet he used both the croam and the claur.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:05 PM   #6
CraigSca
Pro Starter

For some reason Jein Uncerncuen never lived up to his hype.
how do you know?

Old 03-02-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
Ben E Lou

(OK. I'd been holding this post pending permission to post screen shots from Clay. Just received it, so here goes...)

The first obvious big change is in the Team-->Rosters screen. Check it out:

Yup, a *FULL* roster, including rookie leaguers. We'll see how well the AI manages the roster and all of that, but it is good to see this. Documentation isn't in yet for this screen, but based on the numbers to the right, it would appear that 70 batters and 55 pitchers can be in your organization. Considering that the major league roster is set to 14 batters and 11 pitchers, I'm going to assume that all five rosters have identical limits, as it makes the math work out.

I'll give Clay props once again on interface. Players can be moved *very* easily from one level to the other with a simple "move to" command from the Team--Pitcher and Team--Hitter screens. They've simply been expanded to accomodate the larger rosters. I've always been very happy with the Mogul interface. Good to see that it wasn't overhauled for the new system.

Since that screenie took up so much room, I'll move on to other new stuff in the next post...
Old 03-02-2005, 03:09 PM   #8
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Ben,

Not sure the last time you played BBM, but so far all these paramaters were in the last version I tried (last year). Just a heads-up that there's nothing new here (thus far, anyway).
Last version I played a decent amount was BM2K4, although I purchased 2K5, if I recall correctly.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:15 PM   #9
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Will the game come with an updated manual or do I have to use one from the previous release for awhile and then have no idea what has been updated/changed before becoming turned off to playing the game? Purely a hypothetical situation, nothing like that has ever happened. Seriously.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:33 PM   #10
Dreslough
SportsMogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
Is there a release date for the game yet?

We are still expecting the download version to be available on March 15th, with the CD-ROM shipping before March 30th.

And there will be a new manual with the game this year.

Clay
Dreslough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:35 PM   #11
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
For some reason Jein Uncerncuen never lived up to his hype.

OK, that one actually took me a minute to decipher. Good one...

Last edited by dawgfan : 03-02-2005 at 03:48 PM.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:40 PM   #12
Dreslough
SportsMogul

Quote:
Ben,

Unfortunately the Beta doesn't have updated help files yet.

BB2K6 also has the ability to start in any season from 1901 to 2005. For 2005, we've put a lot more work into the opening day rosters than in previous years, including almost 70 players per team.

The biggest new option is the "Historical Rookies" check box, which automatically puts historical players into the Amateur Draft every year at the age when they would have turned 18 (or 19, depending on their birthday).

I realize OOTP already has this option, but we've put a lot of effort into getting the stats and ratings to feel right for every player and team.

Perhaps just as importantly, when you start in any historical season, the game finds all players that debuted with that team EVEN if they haven't played a day in the majors. So, for example, I just started a game with the 1992 Blue Jays and Shawn Green was a 19-year-old rookie on my Single-A team projected by my scouts to probably be a star player.

Cloy Druslough

Last edited by Dreslough : 03-02-2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #13
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That's his BBM name. His licensing rights were too expensive.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #14
Ksyrup

This time stamp error thing is really, REALLY pissing me off.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-02-2005, 03:43 PM   #15
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreslough
Cloy Druslough

Huh?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:49 PM   #16
Dreslough
SportsMogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
I'll give Clay props once again on interface. Players can be moved *very* easily from one level to the other with a simple "move to" command

We've also added Drag-and-Drop (Ian gets credit for that one). And you can open the same dialog multiple times. Frex, you can open the Lineup Dialog for the Red Sox and Diamondbacks, and offer trades by dragging players from one dialog to the other (or just move players around if you are already in Commissioner Mode).

The Team-->Roster screen shown also lets you choose from over 100 columns of stats to display and sort by, including new features like which players have No Trade Clauses or are Eligible for Arbitration.

Clay

Last edited by Dreslough : 03-02-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:58 PM   #17
Ben E Lou

I quick-simmed 6 seasons. (This is an option added around 2K2 or 2K3, I think) FYI, from Jan 1, 2006 to Jan 1, 2007 took 2 minutes and 53 seconds, so those great sim speeds are still around. I wanted to get some stats and info on player cards to look at.

TRANSACTIONS are now listed on the player card. (I think added in 2K4).

As in OOTP, the transactions aren't divided by type, but there do appear to be a few more things listed.

SUMMARY SCREEN

I like this screen. I didn't notice it in 2K5, if it was there.

What is wonderful about it is that every player listed is clickable. I can go straight to Langerhans's player card to renegotiate with him if I want to...which I'll do in the next post...
Old 03-02-2005, 03:59 PM   #18
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreslough
Perhaps just as importantly, when you start in any historical season, the game finds all players that debuted with that team EVEN if they haven't played a day in the majors. So, for example, I just started a game with the 1992 Blue Jays and Shawn Green was a 19-year-old rookie on my Single-A team projected by my scouts to probably be a star player.

That, sir, qualifies as more importantly. It's a feature that I've manually implemented in OOTP by editing the Lahman database with varying success.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:00 PM   #19
Ksyrup

It would be really nice is the type of transaction could be a sortable tab button, or there was some way to toggle the milestones by type and/or date.

Still, this is far easier to look at than OOTP.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:01 PM   #20
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Question - in that transactions screen, are the listed columns sortable? I love the stuff it's tracking - milestones, contract stuff, injuries - very cool.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:01 PM   #21
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yeah, you're going to HAVE to resign Ryan "Islets of" Langerhans!

I see one piece that I wasn't a big fan of before - you see the guys rating, and it tells you exactly how good your scouting is (i.e. I know Jim Edmonds is anywhere from a 61 to 63). You therefore know what to expect from each and every player with no surprises.
how do you know?

Old 03-02-2005, 04:02 PM   #22
Ben E Lou

Hey Clay, I see you're still reading, so I won't wait for the beta board access for this one: Atlanta isn't in the AL.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:09 PM   #23
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Also, noting that Jim Edmonds card - it would be worth keeping an eye out for how many aging former star players consent to being in AAA. I don't know if Clay has modeled this or not, but it would be more realistic to see most players in that position opt to retire if they aren't on a major league roster.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:12 PM   #24
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Also, noting that Jim Edmonds card - it would be worth keeping an eye out for how many aging former star players consent to being in AAA. I don't know if Clay has modeled this or not, but it would be more realistic to see most players in that position opt to retire if they aren't on a major league roster.

Yep, this looks like OOTP4 and earlier-type issues.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:17 PM   #25
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
It would be really nice is the type of transaction could be a sortable tab button, or there was some way to toggle the milestones by type and/or date.

Still, this is far easier to look at than OOTP.
Agreed. I would imagine that the technology is in the current game structure to make that happen, because you CAN do something similar on the general Transaction screen:

Note the three buttons at the upper right.

For the first one, you can choose any of the following transaction types: milestones, trades, draft picks, contracts, injuries, awards, all types. The other two can pick any year, and any team (or all teams). Every player reaching a milestone (or in the other "transactions" types) can be clicked on and his player card comes up. Pretty nice.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:22 PM   #26
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Agreed. I'll check on it, but Edmonds shouldn't be sticking around to hit 31 homers in AAA ball. It would be one thing if he played half a season down there in 2009 (like Rickey, hoping to get called up). However, he played the full year at AAA, then played half of the next in AA. Dude needs to hang 'em up.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:33 PM   #27
Ben E Lou

A screenie of the overhauled renegotiation process:

Here's the help for this screen:
Quote:
CONTRACT NEGOTIATION

This dialog box lets you negotiate:

• a contract with a Free Agent OR
  • a contract extension with one of your current players
Contract Negotiation takes the form of setting the contract parameters and clicking 'Submit Offer'. (The player's current demands are shown on the right side of the screen).

If the player turns down your offer, the player will usually adjust their demands. So, always check the player's side of the negotiation to see what terms he wants in the deal.

Younger players will generally want a higher salary for longer contracts, while older players will be willing to accept a lower salary in exchange for a longer commitment.

Button Function
Scouting Open a Scouting Report for the player.
Submit Offer Submit your contract offer (as defined by the terms on the left side of the dialog box).
Accept Player Demands Accept the player's currently displayed contract (the terms displayed in the right side of the dialog box).
Leave Negotiating Table Decline the currently displayed contract and close the dialog box. This does not release a player -- it simply ceases negotiations until later.
Release Player Decline the contract and release the player from your team.
Player Personalities and Negotiations

Negotiating a contract with a player can be a tricky proposition. You don't want to pay too much, but if you offer too little you can alienate the player you are talking with.

A player's mood is indicated by the "happy face" next to the word "Rumors" in the Contract Negotiation screen (this icon can also be seen in the upper right section of the Scouting Report). Happy players will generally sign contract extensions for their current team for someone less than their market price.

Accepting a player's demands is generally the easiest way to improve the player's mood, but you might end up paying more than you needed to. Submitting an offer that the player rejects may worsen his mood (and increase his asking price). Players with pesonality descriptions such as "egotistical", "boastful", or "self-centered" will be the most offended by low contract offers.
Ok. That last sentence MAY be Kleenex material, if it works right. More on personality types later...

At any rate, just to run a little "mini-test," he accepted the contract he wanted with a $1.95M team option for one season. He would not accept $1.75M team option. Not bad there, I'd say. It'll take some time to see how well the player personalties and team and player options interact with regard to renegotations. Right now, as I'm just in the "overview" phase of this preview, I'm not going to dig that deeply. I'll try to look at that tomorrow morning, which is when I'll probably be able to start actually playing this game.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:33 PM   #28
Ksyrup

That's what has always been wrong with the OOTP negotiations - my least favorite part of the game. You get no info on what the guy wants, and it's usually 2 or 3 strikes and you're out. I've always hated the way OOTP does that. At least here, we get an idea of what he wants and can adjust accordingly, with a little warning when we're about to lose him completely (it appears, anyway).
Old 03-02-2005, 04:35 PM   #29
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Accepting a player's demands is generally the easiest way to improve the player's mood, but you might end up paying more than you needed to. Submitting an offer that the player rejects may worsen his mood (and increase his asking price). Players with pesonality descriptions such as "egotistical", "boastful", or "self-centered" will be the most offended by low contract offers

This is good stuff. Any idea if the player mood is something limited to just negotiations, or whether the mood will actually affect performance as well?
Old 03-02-2005, 04:39 PM   #30
jbmagic
Pro Starter

wow i like that team option, player option and contract clauses on the negotiation screen.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:39 PM   #31
condors
College Starter

probally not something Skydog can answer but any word on how the PBP is?

Do you have any control being a manager?
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:42 PM   #32
Cuckoo
College Starter

Hmm... interest cautiously raised...
Old 03-02-2005, 04:45 PM   #33
Ben E Lou

More on extensions....

Looking at other players to negotiate with, I see the following messages under "rumors":

• Mike Hessman cares about more than money.
  • Money isn't Matt's number one priority.
  • Pendenault is happy to be in Atlanta. He might not be able to develop as well on another team. (Pretty promising commentary. This guy sucks, but because I auto-ran my team through half this season without signing FA's, he's a starter. Dang right he wouldn't be able to develop as well on another team, 'cause his butt would be on the BENCH!)
  • DeWayne Wise is willing to compromise to stay with the Braves.
  • McCarthy likes Atlanta. He doesn't want to leave.
I'm going to sim forward to free agency, to see what other "rumors" will be out there. I only have five guys, and they have five different messages. That's pretty promising, I'd say.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:47 PM   #34
Ben E Lou

I'll be danged....arbitration!

Old 03-02-2005, 04:47 PM   #35
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
I'm in an offseason at the moment, so I can't look at PBP. I'll let you know when I move back into a regular season. I'm still just looking around at this point.

Any idea from the help file if player mood extends to affecting on-field performance, or is it just a part of the negotiating process?
Old 03-02-2005, 04:48 PM   #36
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by condors
probally not something Skydog can answer but any word on how the PBP is?

Do you have any control being a manager?
I'm in an offseason at the moment, so I can't look at PBP. I'll let you know when I move back into a regular season. I'm still just looking around at this point.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:50 PM   #37
Ben E Lou

Arbitration amounts can be raised/lowered in $50K increments. I offered Holt $350K, and got the message, "The Atlanta Braves win arbitration. J.C. Holt is signed to a one-year deal at $350,000."
Old 03-02-2005, 04:52 PM   #38
Ben E Lou

The next arbitration-eligible guy wanted $368K. Just to test severe lowballing, I offered him $50K. He won arbitration and got the $368K.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:57 PM   #39
Arles
Grey Dog Software

This is a pretty cool feature. I am also interested in seeing how Mogul does. It was the original sports sim and I've tried out each version since.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:58 PM   #40
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Hmm... interest cautiously raised...

Ditto. I've been jonesing to play a baseball sim, and OOTP and Puresim just haven't done it for me. It may be time to go back and try the old standby...
Old 03-02-2005, 05:22 PM   #41
Ben E Lou

Free agency rumors....

• Carlos Beltran is adamant about getting every penny that the free agent market will bear.
  • Albert Pujols will get every dollar that he can get from a team.
  • It you don't meet Hank's demands, it's unlikely you'll sign him.
  • Bradley would probably settle into Free Agent very well. (Sure that'll be fixed for release. Reported it to Clay.)
  • Carlos is looking for a more ambitious organization that the Braves.
  • Troy Glaus cares about more than money.
  • Infante is trying to work out a deal with the Marlins.
  • Money isn't Rob's number one priority.
  • Martinez would like to sign with a team that is more focussed on winning that {sic} the Braves. (also reported)
  • Hernandez would be more inclined to sign with the Braves is Tagg Bozied were on the team. (Bozied is listed as one of Hernandez's friends, and both of their personality types are "charismatic.")
  • Corey Patterson has very little wiggle room in his asking price.
  • Aubrey would be most comfortable with the Twins. (One of his friends is with the Twins.)
  • Gabe would be most comfortable with the Diamondbacks. (Again, a friend is in Arizona.)
  • Jeff wouldn't like Atlanta. He'd rather live somewhere warmer. (What is this guy, a freakin' jungle-dweller? OK, the game gets the benefit of the doubt on this one. The only FA contract he signed before was a four-year extension with the Marlins. I'll be curious to track where Jeff Duncan signs this year.)
  • Zeringue doesn't think the Braves are committed to fielding a competitive team.
  • Gerald Laird is willing to give a little in negotiations to be with the right team.
  • Rajai would like to sign with the Cardinals so he can be with Brent Clevlen.
I'll stop there. 16 different messages, at least, even though some seem to be saying similar things. Next, on to player personalties...
Old 03-02-2005, 05:39 PM   #42
Ben E Lou

Personality types...

• coy
  • self-conscious but humble
  • self-conscious
  • egotistical and media-friendly
  • boastful
  • modest but media-friendly
  • private
  • humble but outgoing
  • violent and silly
  • aloof
  • charistmatic and peaceful
  • media-friendly but gregarious
  • down-to-earth but sincere
  • media-friendly
  • egotistical
  • peaceful but generous
  • humble but gregarious
  • introverted and practical
  • charismatic but outgoing
  • aggressive
  • coy
  • friendly and peaceful
  • modest but friendly
  • silly
  • fan-friendly but gregarious
  • media-friendly and charitable
  • modest and fan-friendly
20+ characteristics, but some can be double up for literally hundreds of combinations. I have NO clue how they work yet, though.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:41 PM   #43
Icy
Pro Starter

This sounds insteresting, i haven't ever played any mogul game and this could be the first one. The first thing that catched my atention was the players personalities, that i think is a must for all sport sims. I really hope they affect also team chemistry and even game perfomances and not just renegotiations. Any info on that?

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 05:46 PM   #44
Ben E Lou

Here's another nice new screen.

You can view all-time leaders in 80 different statistical categories from this screen, either single-season leaders or career leaders. Also, by clicking on those little window screens, each category can be expanded to view the top 21 all-time in that category.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:48 PM   #45
Ben E Lou

Here's the expanded leader screen. Shows a little more info about each player.

Old 03-02-2005, 05:51 PM   #46
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
This sounds insteresting, i haven't ever played any mogul game and this could be the first one. The first thing that catched my atention was the players personalities, that i think is a must for all sport sims. I really hope they affect also team chemistry and even game perfomances and not just renegotiations. Any info on that?
There's nothing in the help file about personalties yet, so I don't know. To be honest, I haven't been following development of this game closely at all; I just noticed that Clay seemed to show a new commitment to the game lately. He may have addressed it on his boards (www.sportsmogul.com) at some point, and I just didn't see it. I'm pretty sure he'll be reading this thread, so I'd imagine he'll chime in at some point.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #47
Ben E Lou

I see some new scouting report text, too.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:14 PM   #48
Ben E Lou

The draft is now a full 6-round draft. Length of draft doesn't appear to be changeable.

Speaking of customization, here is the league editor screen.

The "league revenue" and "salary demands" boxes would seem to indicate that inflation is an option in this game, or at least a mogul version of a "financial coefficient." Neither is mentioned in the current help file, so I'd assume they're new features for this version that will be documented by the time of release.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:44 PM   #49
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

This is exciting. I've been wanting a new baseball game to play for a while now, as for some reason, OOTP hasn't caught my attention since my last good dynasty last year sometime.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:48 PM   #50
oykib
College Starter

Here's the biggest question:

Has Lefty/Righty been implemented in this, BBM's seventh iteration?
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote