Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #21801
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
The main thing Trump has been hanging his hat on is how the economy has been going. If we go into a recession, he can't hang hit hat on that, and he is worried about getting re-elected.

Once again, I just don't get how the president gets to take complete responsibility for the economy good or bad. There's clearly many other factors at play that they don't have any control over. Sure, take credit for the hard things you've pushed and the result of that, but it goes back to 2009. The R's skewered Obama for the deficit, which was the direct result of the continuation of the economic direction that Bush II started, and those numbers were as a result of decisions that had been made by multiple predecessors, yet somehow he took the brunt of it resulting in the 2010 elections and Tea Party bullshit. I guess I'm in the minority. trump being able to drive an economy straight, that was handed to him straight, and all he's done is goose the gas pedal isn't exactly earth shattering. Him failing to react in an acceptable way to a crisis is completely his responsibility, but the economy finally taking a long expected dump as a result of said crisis, really doesn't come to him, unless, like said, the choices he made by stepping on the pedal directly or indirectly hurt the countries ability to handle said crisis. He would get full ownership of that.

I know that isn't how it's played out for the masses, and it's big in scope and understanding, but fuck all for those people who would rather have that emotional soundbite on something to get worked up over, than try and understand the actual mechanism of function.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 03-11-2020 at 03:57 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #21802
Edward64
Head Coach

DOW is in Bear. S&P and Nasdaq are about 1% away. Not sure what the measure is for the record books. Need that shallow recession next to get the cycle (e.g. bull market) started all over again.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #21803
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
The main thing Trump has been hanging his hat on is how the economy has been going. If we go into a recession, he can't hang hit hat on that, and he is worried about getting re-elected.

He'll blame it on the unexpected coronavirus. I do think he has an out here.

His vulnerability is how well (or not) his response is to the pandemic and the impact to the economy. It has started off poorly but he still has time to do a save (or obfuscate) by November.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:06 PM   #21804
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
He'll blame it on the unexpected coronavirus. I do think he has an out here.

His vulnerability is how well (or not) his response is to the pandemic and the impact to the economy. It has started off poorly but he still has time to do a save (or obfuscate) by November.

I'm pretty sure he's handled it perfectly so far.

Like Steam?

Old 03-11-2020, 10:14 PM   #21805
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
DOW is in Bear. S&P and Nasdaq are about 1% away. Not sure what the measure is for the record books. Need that shallow recession next to get the cycle (e.g. bull market) started all over again.

Dow futures currently down 1000+ after Trump's speech.

Disney, hospitality, airlines must really suck right now.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:14 PM   #21806
JPhillips
General Manager

The beginning of what the President's speech could have been. It's really good and would have calmed the nation.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:20 PM   #21807
QuikSand
lolzcat

alas, we didn't elect a functioning adult
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:22 PM   #21808
JPhillips
General Manager

As if there wasn't enough shit hitting the fan, Iran has attacked and killed Americans and a Brit in Iraq.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:00 AM   #21809
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
As if there wasn't enough shit hitting the fan, Iran has attacked and killed Americans and a Brit in Iraq.

I had to look this up. Didn't see it mentioned on the news at all. Weird.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:52 AM   #21810
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Dow futures currently down 1000+ after Trump's speech.

Disney, hospitality, airlines must really suck right now.

Europe major indexes all down 5%+. Dow down 1,231 or 5.22%. Just saw Boeing down 18% yesterday, wow. Disney down about 30% since Dec, I would have thought more by now.

Surprisingly the China stock market is not doing near as bad which I attribute to their government-enabled-pseudo-stock-market.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #21811
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

And we retaliated.

Good way for Iran to distract their population from the coronavirus I guess.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:09 AM   #21812
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Europe major indexes all down 5%+. Dow down 1,231 or 5.22%. Just saw Boeing down 18% yesterday, wow. Disney down about 30% since Dec, I would have thought more by now.

Surprisingly the China stock market is not doing near as bad which I attribute to their government-enabled-pseudo-stock-market.

The company is off about 50% since November.

Like Steam?

Old 03-12-2020, 08:36 AM   #21813
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow stock halted again. Not good.

Last edited by Galaril : 03-12-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #21814
Edward64
Head Coach

Smart of Biden assuming he can pull it off. But not sure what he can say without sounding too self-serving. I suggest he doesn't "attack" Trump and the lackluster response right now

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/mee...trump-n1156456
Quote:
And at 1:00 p.m. ET, Democrat Joe Biden gets a contrast moment with President Trump, when he delivers remarks on the coronavirus from Delaware.

As NBC’s Mike Memoli points out, the Biden camp didn’t plan on Trump addressing the nation last night — before Biden’s previously scheduled speech.

“The Biden campaign didn't plan on @realDonaldTrump speaking on eve of @JoeBiden's coronavirus speech tomorrow when they scheduled it. But it ends up playing into what they had set up as a "presidential moment" and clear contrast.”

The question is whether Biden can deliver that presidential moment and clear contrast.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:55 AM   #21815
Galaril
Pro Starter

Holy shit market is down 2100 (9%)
Old 03-12-2020, 08:58 AM   #21816
spleen1015
Coordinator

If I'm Biden, I give the speech as if I'm POTUS. I don't mention Trump, reference Trump, reference Republicans, take shots at anyone, any country, etc.

I just give folks a strong unifying message.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:06 AM   #21817
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
If I'm Biden, I give the speech as if I'm POTUS. I don't mention Trump, reference Trump, reference Republicans, take shots at anyone, any country, etc.

I just give folks a strong unifying message.

Yes agree.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:54 AM   #21818
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

That might have to be considered a loss for Trump
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:00 AM   #21819
JPhillips
General Manager

Apparently stopping some travel isn't seen as an effective startegy for containment.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:01 AM   #21820
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Not even going to look at my 401 K, standing the course until it bottoms and then pumping in more money and hope for a good rebound.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #21821
Edward64
Head Coach

This is a good move, I'm all for a short delay of 2-3 months.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/how-...ax-filing.html
Quote:
The Treasury is recommending the Trump administration push back the April 15 tax deadline amid concerns over coronavirus, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin told reporters on Wednesday.

“We are going to recommend to the president that we allow a delay,” he said after speaking on Capitol Hill. He appeared before the House Appropriations Committee on Wednesday, where he suggested pushing back the deadline.

“That will have the impact of putting over $200 billion back into the economy and that will create a very big stimulus,” Mnuchin said.

The delay would be “for virtually all Americans, not the super-rich, that’s our recommendation,” he said.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #21822
JPhillips
General Manager

The guy on the right, next to Trump.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #21823
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
“That will have the impact of putting over $200 billion back into the economy and that will create a very big stimulus,” Mnuchin said.

Umm, no? It is just a delay, it will still have to be paid.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:36 AM   #21824
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Umm, no? It is just a delay, it will still have to be paid.

The money's already paid for most. The vast majority of people I'd say are planning for a refund or to have no taxes paid at all.

Like Steam?

Old 03-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #21825
JPhillips
General Manager

The tax delay is a givaway to the rich people/businesses who pay as late as possible. It won't do much of anything for the economy.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #21826
Edward64
Head Coach

Trump speaking now. Trying to preempt Biden my guess.

If Biden can pull this off, it'll be a great (and remembered) differentiator.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #21827
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
The tax delay is a givaway to the rich people/businesses who pay as late as possible. It won't do much of anything for the economy.

yeah this would suck as I am counting on a big refund in the next month.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #21828
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
yeah this would suck as I am counting on a big refund in the next month.

From what I can gather refunds will still be processed as normal. It is just that if you have to pay anything extra, Apr. 15th won't be the deadline to pay.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #21829
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
From what I can gather refunds will still be processed as normal. It is just that if you have to pay anything extra, Apr. 15th won't be the deadline to pay.

Hope so.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:07 AM   #21830
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm curious. Why haven't you filed and gotten your refund already? We got ours about 3 weeks ago.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:10 AM   #21831
cartman
Death Herald

It wouldn't make sense for them to withhold refunds if they are talking about extending the deadline to file as a 'stimulus'. But then again, we are talking about this clusterfuck of an administration.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:12 AM   #21832
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm curious. Why haven't you filed and gotten your refund already? We got ours about 3 weeks ago.

I'm lazy.

Also, who offers the most inexpensive tax software/website? I moved to a new state last year and withdrew some mutual funds. I'm afraid of how much it'll cost me to file.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #21833
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I know for my tax refund, it's because my wife hasn't actually sat down and done the work to calculate everything from her home business. Which I gently reminded her she has like a month to do. I have entered everything involving W2s into TurboTax like a month+ ago.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #21834
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

We owe like 700 bucks. It has been sitting in the software since early February, ready to go. I was just waiting until the last minute to use their money for as long as possible. So if they extend it, I might get to earn an extra 2 or 3 bucks off of it. Suck it, big gubmint!
Old 03-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #21835
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My shit is being held because (I’m assuming) of some idiot in accounting who didn’t submit my wife’s 2nd W2 on time to the IRS. I knew this was going to be a clusterfuck when I saw she had 2 separate ones(payroll company switched mid year).

I work all of the driving gig stuff, so I’ve been hoping for this money so I can ride out the next month or two. Hoping for some clarity within the next several days. Normally St Patrick’s day would be a $5-700 day but I’m really not feeling good about working right now.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:57 AM   #21836
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I’m just going to make a bold guess that it’ll be announced that Trump has tested positive on Friday evening.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #21837
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

We owe 15k because we fucked up in calculating our RRSP contribution amount when my wife changed jobs this year and her pension commuted. I also changed jobs, going out on my own as a consultant this fall with what appeared to be a minimum 18+ month gig. However the company contracting me got purchased in early February and the new CEO turfed all contractors. Now I'm looking for a new gig just as the world collapses. Oh and we are in the midst of building a cottage.

Needless to say I haven't slept very well the past couple weeks.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #21838
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I’m just going to make a bold guess that it’ll be announced that Trump has tested positive on Friday evening.

There's no doubt he'll have it. There's no doubt they'll never tell us.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:41 PM   #21839
QuikSand
lolzcat

You don't think this man has taken every possible precaution?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:48 PM   #21840
AlexB
Pro Starter

This made me chuckle

Thank God we have Trump to do what the scientists won’t, build that coronavirus wall

Last edited by AlexB : 03-12-2020 at 12:48 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #21841
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Yep just like every other announcent that would make them look bad so the regular media won't report on it until Monday. By now I would think they would know better. But like Flasch said doubtful he'll ever tell us unless to get his base praying for him.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #21842
spleen1015
Coordinator

Hell, the only way we find out that he has it is if it kills him. That way he can't prevent anyone from talking.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #21843
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Hell, the only way we find out that he has it is if it kills him. That way he can't prevent anyone from talking.

Have you ever seen the movie "Dave"?
Old 03-12-2020, 01:49 PM   #21844
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Have you ever seen the movie "Dave"?

Alec Baldwin just shows up in the White House on Monday and never breaks character.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:52 PM   #21845
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I think Alec Baldwin as Trump would have a better chance at winning the 2020 election than Pence.

The GOP can dump him afterwards.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #21846
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
We owe 15k because we fucked up in calculating our RRSP contribution amount when my wife changed jobs this year and her pension commuted. I also changed jobs, going out on my own as a consultant this fall with what appeared to be a minimum 18+ month gig. However the company contracting me got purchased in early February and the new CEO turfed all contractors. Now I'm looking for a new gig just as the world collapses. Oh and we are in the midst of building a cottage.

Needless to say I haven't slept very well the past couple weeks.

Hate to hear that. Hope the search goes well. What field are you in?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #21847
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Also, who offers the most inexpensive tax software/website?

I have a simple return. I did freetaxusa and creditkarma. I plug mine into two separate ones just to make sure they both spit out the same numbers to kind of audit myself. Credit Karma I think does free federal AND state but I got an error towards the submission part so I did freetaxusa that is free federal and $13 for state. I make middle class money, though, so I am not sure if the higher earners have to pay.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 03-12-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:12 PM   #21848
kingfc22
Head Coach

Let’s just keep pumping money into the economy instead of directing as much funds as possible into healthcare. You know seeing how this is a healthcare crisis.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #21849
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

That would be ironic. I'll be sure to tell my Trump extremist colleague "must have been God's will".
Old 03-12-2020, 04:16 PM   #21850
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I owe like $17k..plus a penalty for owing too much.
New payroll/benefits company and I apparently didnt click a button right to hear them tell it...oh well shit happens.

But I will enjoy sitting on this a while.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote