Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-13-2020, 03:58 PM   #24551
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Of course, Fox News is using Photoshop for their coverage of Seattle (i.e. making shit up):

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/13/media...est/index.html

lmao Fox News is photoshopping an armed guard into pictures about the Capital Hill Autonomous Zone to make it look more dangerous than it is
(h/t @sumromanus!) pic.twitter.com/WtxE8k18KB
— Michael Hobbes (@RottenInDenmark) June 12, 2020

They also used a fiery photo from Minnesota as the centerpiece on a package of stories about Seattle. https://t.co/RBF0ttg2ku pic.twitter.com/bElH94RgYW
— Gina Cole (@Gina_Cole_) June 12, 2020

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:26 PM   #24552
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

She's not the worst thing going on right now by far. But is anyone in D.C. more of a self-parody than Susan Collins? It's life as performance art.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 06-13-2020 at 04:27 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:46 PM   #24553
JPhillips
General Manager

Is there anyone that ruined their reputation during the Trump years more than Collins?
Old 06-13-2020, 04:48 PM   #24554
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

She's not the worst thing going on right now by far. But is anyone in D.C. more of a self-parody than Susan Collins? It's life as performance art.

I wonder how many GOP Senators are going to find their spine if Trump continues to poll poorly and his campaign is the disaster reports make it out to be.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #24555
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I wonder how many GOP Senators are going to find their spine if Trump continues to poll poorly and his campaign is the disaster reports make it out to be.

Likely too late to change much. The last time a party bailed on their lost cause nominee and saved their House and Senate positions was 1996 with Dole. They tried that again with McCain in 2008 and it blew up in their face. And now, people are even more tied in either for or against the President. They couldn't detach themselves in time after the last four years, nor should they be able to.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:34 PM   #24556
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Trembling Trump has trouble lifting glass of water during speech - New York Daily News

Something wrong with him.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:41 PM   #24557
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post

Well we know the stairs are because he can't see, and refuses to wear glasses, because it's a sign of WEAKNESS! It's also why he squints A LOT.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:05 PM   #24558
kingfc22
Head Coach

Jeff Sessions out here spending his weekend fighting for the Confederacy.

FFS GOP...
Old 06-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #24559
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Is there anyone that ruined their reputation during the Trump years more than Collins?

The number of candidates in this debate dwarfs the early Democratic debates.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:19 PM   #24560
cuervo72
Head Coach

It almost looks like maybe he is too fat for his jacket? I have no idea.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #24561
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Jeff Sessions out here spending his weekend fighting for the Confederacy.

FFS GOP...

That primary is the most fascinating one in the country imo.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #24562
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Fox is trying sooo hard with CHAZ.

I'm surprised they haven't suggested putting a fence around it and calling it ALCACHAZ.

As far as backtracking on the Juneteenth rally, it could be that his campaign successfully argued to him that directly causing another riot is going to cost him the election. Surely SOMEONE in that organization believes the polls and sees some real danger that he won't be able to count but a few votes outside of his rabid 35-40%.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:15 AM   #24563
JPhillips
General Manager

The GOP running as the defenders of the Confederacy won't help their suburban women problem.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #24564
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/13/media...wer/index.html

Is it bad when, as a President, you're less popular than Comcast?

SI

Old 06-14-2020, 08:19 PM   #24565
JPhillips
General Manager

Tim Scott said this morning that qualified immunity reform or abolition is a red line for Republicans. So expect lots of talk and Mitch stopping anything from happening at the national level.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:58 AM   #24566
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ted Cruz trying to instigate a fight and have somebody else fill in for him is very on brand. Go GOP.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 06-15-2020 at 08:59 AM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:18 AM   #24567
miami_fan
Coordinator

Note to the people selling Trump 2020 merchandise that I just saw on my way home. I fully support you selling whatever you want. I fully support you putting out some of the flags to advertise your pop up shop. I don't support making sure that your Trump 2020, Women for Trump and Don't Tread On Me flags are flying in the breeze while the US FLAG IS LYING ON THE FUCKING GROUND! And then when I call you on it, you tell me I need to get out of here cause I am a fucking ni***er.

Oh well at least I did not get shot so progress.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:21 AM   #24568
kingfc22
Head Coach

But you sure as hell better not kneel as THAT is disrespectful to the flag which is 100% what the issue is.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #24569
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I fully expect the GOP to turn on Trump... only if he loses the election (which I don't think he will personally).
Old 06-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #24570
Jas_lov
College Starter

Bad day for Trump in the Supreme Court. I like the 6-3 ruling protecting LGBT people from discrimination in the workplace. Roberts and Gorsuch joined the four liberals in the majority.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:56 AM   #24571
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Bad day for Trump in the Supreme Court. I like the 6-3 ruling protecting LGBT people from discrimination in the workplace. Roberts and Gorsuch joined the four liberals in the majority.

Was worried this was going to go the other way. Are there more decisions coming from SCOTUS today?
Old 06-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #24572
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Was worried this was going to go the other way. Are there more decisions coming from SCOTUS today?

Can answer this myself:

https://apnews.com/cfc528bd21b256a3c321edfff40d50eb

https://apnews.com/69fb607b8143d0706e9c7f376f10cd6d

https://apnews.com/2af6c9fea55743a5e40cfcf14e28c1e0

Did get one in the "win" column though:

https://apnews.com/0315aa9e057106fe4590ad8c069ebc54
Old 06-15-2020, 11:08 AM   #24573
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think those were all fairly sound options from the court. A shocking thing to think looking back 3 years ago.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:56 PM   #24574
Thomkal
Head Coach

Trump not having a good day-FDA stops promoting Trump's magical cure for the virus.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:05 PM   #24575
Thomkal
Head Coach

Even one of the most right-leaning polls. Rasmussen, has Biden up by +12%
Old 06-15-2020, 04:31 PM   #24576
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

Roberts likes to throw a bone on social issues as long as he can rule for pro business/corporate issues. I'm most curious to see if he'll thread the needle on all the abortion and Obamacare cases being hurled at him.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:50 PM   #24577
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Roberts likes to throw a bone on social issues as long as he can rule for pro business/corporate issues. I'm most curious to see if he'll thread the needle on all the abortion and Obamacare cases being hurled at him.

This. He figured out which way the social wind was blowing and went with Obergefell.

But he's going to be perfectly fine to help dismantle the administrative state, rule wildly pro business, and rig elections (gutting the Civil Rights act, upholding gerrymandering /and/ making it harder to challenge, and, of course, Citizens United)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-15-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:59 PM   #24578
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I fully expect the GOP to turn on Trump... only if he loses the election (which I don't think he will personally).

I think it's mostly their preferred position. If you could guarantee them the Senate in exchange for the Presidency, I think they'd take it in a heartbeat.

They got their irreparable damage to much of the bureaucracy through 4 years of gross incompetence and brain drain. They got so many nutjob judges in place for decades to come.

They get to hand Biden an ineptly managed pandemic, damaged foreign policy, and a destroyed economy. Then they get to kick him around for 4 years, not letting him get anything done or solve any of the problems of Trump's creation or mismanagement.

Then then get to run some button-up conservative ideologue who invokes many Hail Trumps (as opposed to the old Saint Reagans) but can decry the part of Trump where he said the quiet part loud. And then force through a bunch of harsh austerity to further damage what little social safety net we have and keep moving us along that path toward corporate dystopia.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-15-2020 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:09 PM   #24579
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I actually don't see it as a social/corporate issue divide for Roberts. He wrote the dissenting opinion for Obergefell and it didn't pull any punches. In fact, that opinion sounds much like what Kavanaugh wrote today. However, he also voted to uphold Obamacare multiple times.

Roberts seems deeply concerned with the image of the court. I think once Gorsuch voted with the liberals, Roberts went with him to avoid it being a 5-4 decision. It also allowed him to assign Gorsuch to write the opinion rather than one of the liberals.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:21 AM   #24580
Edward64
Head Coach

I like the idea of infrastructure spending but not enough details right now. I know it's unlikely we'll get unemployed laying asphalt and such but have to think it will help unemployment some.

Although this will increase our debt, it provides a tangible return and is needed sooner or later.

Zoom In Icon
Quote:
Futures contracts tied to the major U.S. stock indexes rose early Tuesday morning as a Bloomberg report said President Donald Trump’s administration is preparing a $1 trillion infrastructure proposal.

Dow Jones Industrial Average futures rose 492 points, suggesting an open gain of more than 539 points when regular trading resumes on Tuesday. S&P 500 and Nasdaq-100 futures also implied a positive Tuesday start for the two indexes.

Citing people familiar with the plan, Bloomberg reported the Trump administration is drawing up a $1 trillion infrastructure proposal. The report said a preliminary version being prepared would set aside majority of the money for traditional infrastructure such as roads and bridges, though funds would also be reserved for 5G wireless infrastructure and rural broadband.

The overnight moves Monday evening followed a striking rebound in U.S. equity markets during the regular session.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed 157.62 points higher on Monday after the blue-chip index fell more than 760 points earlier in the session.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:59 AM   #24581
RainMaker
General Manager

Kudlow says the $600/week will end in July. Also the Fed is buying individual corporate bonds to keep the markets up.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:22 AM   #24582
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I like the idea of infrastructure spending but not enough details right now. I know it's unlikely we'll get unemployed laying asphalt and such but have to think it will help unemployment some.

Although this will increase our debt, it provides a tangible return and is needed sooner or later.

This is nothing new, as Trump has advocated a massive national infrastructure program throughout his presidency. The republicans are lukewarm on the issue, but the biggest obstacle is getting the democrats to get behind the initiative. Obviously if Obama or Clinton was in power, the democrats would be enthusiastically supporting this, but with the current state of affairs, nothing that Trump proposes can be seen as a good idea. Therefore, this initiative will go nowhere.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:29 AM   #24583
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
This is nothing new, as Trump has advocated a massive national infrastructure program throughout his presidency. The republicans are lukewarm on the issue, but the biggest obstacle is getting the democrats to get behind the initiative. Obviously if Obama or Clinton was in power, the democrats would be enthusiastically supporting this, but with the current state of affairs, nothing that Trump proposes can be seen as a good idea. Therefore, this initiative will go nowhere.

This isn't what I remember and this matches closer to my memory:

https://www.rollcall.com/2018/12/20/...r-wall-demand/

They've always tried to tie together infrastructure spending with his big, beautiful wall.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:36 AM   #24584
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Not to mention that Democrats were very supportive of infrastructure spending, but whenever Trump proposed a bill it was mostly big tax cuts (with little oversight) as opposed to direct spending on infrastructure.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #24585
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

"And, in other news, the 2023 Inspector General report found that over $460B of the $1T infrastructure bill has been unaccounted for. It has been spent out of the fund but there have been few leads as to where it went. The IG's office issued a rare apology for the lack of oversight, citing a lack of resources to do a more thorough job. They have also been unable to compel testimony through legal means. Despite a Tweet from former President Trump inadvertently implicating a Trump-owned firm of accepting $47B and no evidence of any substantive infrastructure work, the IG's office and House have been unable to enforce any subpoenas to track down the money. The Supreme Court has denied two appeals of two lower court rulings where Trump-nominated judges ruled in favor of the former President."

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-16-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:44 AM   #24586
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

What? The Dems tried to negotiate an infrastructure plan multiple times. Last year there was a deal and then Mitch killed it. This year, before the pandemic, Dems were pitching an almost 1 trillion plan. Obviously the details will matter, but Dems have been willing, too willing IMO, to pass a huge infrastructure deal. The problem is Mitch and the GOP Senate.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #24587
bronconick
College Starter

The United States Senate under Mitch McConnell is either a walking filibuster (if in a minority) or an avenue to ram unqualified judges through and little else otherwise. If you told me I'd get a re elected Donald Trump but McConnell shipped to Mars forever and a Democratic Senate, I'd seriously consider the tradeoff. Mitch has done more damage to this country than Trump. The parties actually negotiated before he went full asshat
Old 06-16-2020, 03:34 PM   #24588
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
The United States Senate under Mitch McConnell is either a walking filibuster (if in a minority) or an avenue to ram unqualified judges through and little else otherwise. If you told me I'd get a re elected Donald Trump but McConnell shipped to Mars forever and a Democratic Senate, I'd seriously consider the tradeoff. Mitch has done more damage to this country than Trump. The parties actually negotiated before he went full asshat
What would Trump do with a completely Democratic congress? Never mind, he would still inflict as much damage as possible.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:00 PM   #24589
JPhillips
General Manager

But I bet there would be a lot more threats to conduct oversight. There might even be a speech or two.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:09 PM   #24590
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Now the White House is suing Bolton for breach of contract. They are desperate for this book not to come out. How much you want to bet it does make it out and it is a big nothing burger? They are going to make this tremendous deal out of it, and the worst thing says is the President mispronounced a leaders name or something.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:31 PM   #24591
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Bringing the cancel culture topic over here from the college football thread because I think it was way off topic. Some people say it's not getting ridiculous and I am just old. Stuff like this is pretty absurdly ridiculous in my opinion. This is behavior of the 6th graders I teach...

Domino's responds to backlash over thanking Trump staffer in 2012 - Business Insider
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:42 PM   #24592
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Bringing the cancel culture topic over here from the college football thread because I think it was way off topic. Some people say it's not getting ridiculous and I am just old. Stuff like this is pretty absurdly ridiculous in my opinion. This is behavior of the 6th graders I teach...

Domino's responds to backlash over thanking Trump staffer in 2012 - Business Insider

The lede buried in that article is that Kayleigh McEnany thinks "Dominos is wayyyy better than any NYC pizza."
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:53 PM   #24593
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
The lede buried in that article is that Kayleigh McEnany thinks "Dominos is wayyyy better than any NYC pizza."

In 2012. Some intern at dominoes who runs their twitter feed is supposed to know she will be in the Trump admin 8 years in the future?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #24594
molson
General Manager

I watched two entire seasons of the Apprentice. I hope nobody finds that out.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #24595
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
In 2012. Some intern at dominoes who runs their twitter feed is supposed to know she will be in the Trump admin 8 years in the future?

Sure, that's ridiculous.

...but I'd also like to address the stock pizza picture they chose for that article:

WTF?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-16-2020 at 05:06 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:38 PM   #24596
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I watched two entire seasons of the Apprentice. I hope nobody finds that out.

Welcome to my ignore list.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #24597
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

I agree that this was stupid. However, this went nowhere. People saw it as such and Dominos did not, in fact, get cancelled. Instead, people from both the right and the left are rightly dunking on Rick Wilson. And he may have ironically got himself cancelled due to an Instagram post someone found where he has a cooler with a Confederate flag on it.

I agree that cancel culture can go too far. However, I don't think the Gundy situation is as simplistic as you're making it out to be. Similar to the FSU situation where the coach lied about having a meeting with his players, it goes beyond just a t-shirt and touches on the issues of a mostly white coaching culture disconnected from the real concerns of its players.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #24598
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Ah, "cancel culture" will be the cry if "political correctness" updated for 20 years later

SI

Old 06-16-2020, 07:23 PM   #24599
JPhillips
General Manager

These fucking guys.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #24600
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
These fucking guys.

What's FDR hiding? Why won't the press admit what we all know is true? He's in a wheelchair. With the world at war, don't we need a strong President?

I could name 100 reasons to vote against Trump without needing to pause. Resorting to his physical weakness is juvenile bullying. Do better Lincoln Project.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote