Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #251
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Am I correct in assuming for an online league, when generating HTML I only need to generate history once a season (at the end)? Or do I need to do it every time in case it gets overwritten?

I suggest once a season, after the awards have been announced
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #252
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Wow Markus i have to admit i hated 2006. I have been playing the preview copy and have already spent way more time on this version. Although it is not the 6.5 interface i find it much easier to get around than 2006 was. The facegen is great, especially when trading a player and seeing his uniform change. Overall i am very impressed. There was a bit more trading than i like but i didnt even look into changing any settings yet. It was very nice to see the Nats trade Soriano for a couple of quality propects and then check their front office and see that they are rebuilding. Great job so far.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #253
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Wow Markus i have to admit i hated 2006. I have been playing the preview copy and have already spent way more time on this version. Although it is not the 6.5 interface i find it much easier to get around than 2006 was. The facegen is great, especially when trading a player and seeing his uniform change. Overall i am very impressed. There was a bit more trading than i like but i didnt even look into changing any settings yet. It was very nice to see the Nats trade Soriano for a couple of quality propects and then check their front office and see that they are rebuilding. Great job so far.
HAW! OOTP is smarter than Jim Bowden!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #254
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post

You have two levels of tradding lower than the default one so if you want less or more trades, it's easily adjustable.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #255
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm about to go out of town for 8 days on business. Is there any way this can be released on Friday, because the thought of having a decent amount of time to play this game, and not having it, is seriously bumming me out.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:59 PM   #256
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Duffy View Post
Have you mailed me?

Yes sir
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:14 PM   #257
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm ready for this game.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #258
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
HAW! Everyone and their mother is smarter than Jim Bowden!

edited for clarity
Old 03-07-2007, 08:37 PM   #259
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm about to go out of town for 8 days on business. Is there any way this can be released on Friday, because the thought of having a decent amount of time to play this game, and not having it, is seriously bumming me out.

What he said...
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #260
JPhillips
General Manager

Just got started a little last night with the preview. I tend to look at interface and mechanics assues as I don't cover the stats as well as some other guys around here.

The Good

Facegen is really cool
Thank God for the offer player trade option and star ratings
Much easier to get around than in 2006
Player's countries of origin seem much more realistic, but one season is a very small sample
The "fun" factor is way up. It feels much less like work then 2006
Age ranges in the minors looks much better, especially rookie ball

The Problems

Scouting difference between SISA and the team scout is too high. I'm regularly seeing my team scout rate guys as 5 star potential and SISA has them as 1 star potential. If this happened occasionally it would be fine, but it's happening a lot. Starting a career with a draft really shows the issue. Guys drafted in the first few rounds of a dispersal draft shouldn't have such wild variances between SISA and team scouts.

The dispersal draft also caused weird issues with payroll because of the scouting issue. Players with very high salaries that were drafted early based on a 5 star potential were assigned to minor league teams. I had two 5 mil+ pitchers with a one current/5 potential playing in AAA. I don't mind drafting on potential, but those guys shouldn't be drafted so high that they eat up so much money.

Can we please have sortable columns in the world screen? It would make scouting nations much easier.

There's still a big problem with staff that doesn't start at the major league level. I saw no coach or scout with double digit ratings that didn't start in MLB. This means that the only movement of staff comes between MLB teams. There is no use in promoting or searching other minor league talent.

I really don't like the limitation on shopping players. I think the 3 per day rule just needlessly aggravates. There is no real limit on how many guys I can shop(if I do three a day starting Jan 1 I can shop over 600 by the deadline), so this rule doesn't really accomplish anything other than making it more difficult for the player. I don't want to have to remember to start shopping a day before the deadline because I want to shop four players. A possible solution would be to only allow a player to be shopped once per calendar year.

I haven't played much and probably won't be able to play much with my remaining days. It seems to be a big improvement over 2006, though. If I get much farther in the game I'll post some more impressions.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #261
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Scouting difference between SISA and the team scout is too high. I'm regularly seeing my team scout rate guys as 5 star potential and SISA has them as 1 star potential. If this happened occasionally it would be fine, but it's happening a lot. Starting a career with a draft really shows the issue. Guys drafted in the first few rounds of a dispersal draft shouldn't have such wild variances between SISA and team scouts.

I don't uderstand. SISA does not give any star/overall ratings, it just rates the skills. And it is intended that it is off a bit, although this was tweaked and SISA is much closer now than in 2006.

Quote:
The dispersal draft also caused weird issues with payroll because of the scouting issue. Players with very high salaries that were drafted early based on a 5 star potential were assigned to minor league teams. I had two 5 mil+ pitchers with a one current/5 potential playing in AAA. I don't mind drafting on potential, but those guys shouldn't be drafted so high that they eat up so much money.

I'm not seeing this. Players with low actual ratings go to the minors, where they get minor league contracts unless they are on the 40 man roster.

Quote:
Can we please have sortable columns in the world screen? It would make scouting nations much easier.

I agree, but I didn't have time for that yet

Quote:
There's still a big problem with staff that doesn't start at the major league level. I saw no coach or scout with double digit ratings that didn't start in MLB. This means that the only movement of staff comes between MLB teams. There is no use in promoting or searching other minor league talent.

Staff does develop over time, they get better as they gain experience, and eventually get big league jobs if they are lucky. Just like in real life.

Quote:
I really don't like the limitation on shopping players. I think the 3 per day rule just needlessly aggravates. There is no real limit on how many guys I can shop(if I do three a day starting Jan 1 I can shop over 600 by the deadline), so this rule doesn't really accomplish anything other than making it more difficult for the player. I don't want to have to remember to start shopping a day before the deadline because I want to shop four players. A possible solution would be to only allow a player to be shopped once per calendar year.
Yeah, that makes sense Will think about it... Thanks!

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn : 03-08-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:57 AM   #262
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Hey Markus, you didn't address my main issue...not having the game!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #263
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Hey Markus, you didn't address my main issue...not having the game!

Yeah, this issue is annoying me as well!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #264
JPhillips
General Manager

Markus: I should clarify a couple of points. On the scouting issue it is a matter of potential ratings. I'm regularly seeing guys my scout has in the mid teens that SISA has in the mid single digits. For example the pitcher the AI drafted for me in the third round of the dispersal draft my scout had at 14/15/14 for potential and SISA had him at 5/6/5. He's just one example, but I'm finding them all over the league. The AI was also drafting guys early in the dispersal draft that had these kinds of discrepancies when I looked at other rosters with my scout's eyes. It's fine for this to happen occasionally, but when it's a regular occurance in the early rounds of the dispersal draft it seems to say that the scouting error between SISA and scouts is too great.

The salary problem is tied to the scouting problem. Because scouts see these 1/5 star guys as studs they're drafting them very early which I guess gives them a big salary. They aren't anywhere near ready to be MLB players, though, so they get sent to the minors. It's not that the decision to send them to the minors is bad, but it's not realistic to have guys making 5 mil playing in the minors. Two of the top three salaries on my team after the dispersal draft were pitching in the minors on Opening Day.

I hope staff develops like you say. I know they didn't in 2006 and I won't be playing long enough on the preview to find out.

As I said, this version looks much better than last year's.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #265
JPhillips
General Manager

A couple more things.

The Sim screen doesn't default to Spring Training during Spring Training. I'm I doing something wrong or is that by design?

When I scout draft prospects I'm getting way too many MRs in the top twenty. My scout said there were 5 MRs in the top ten and 7 in the top twenty. These weren't mislabeled starters either, all of them had an endurance of 6 or 7. Having that many low value positions makes it hard to compare accurately to the SION rankings that had no MRs in the top ten.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:03 PM   #266
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Can you still play a league in Ghana? I want to play a league in Ghana.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:32 PM   #267
JPhillips
General Manager

You can play a league in Ghana full of Batmen with the coaching staff of the NO Pirates if you want to do the editing!
Old 03-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #268
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Who would a good person be to PM about discussing playing historical seasons with this version?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #269
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Who would a good person be to PM about discussing playing historical seasons with this version?

TigerFan1, but I think he has a similar username over at the ootp forums and probably frequents there more.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:06 PM   #270
RichW
n00b

Quote:
Markus: I should clarify a couple of points. On the scouting issue it is a matter of potential ratings. I'm regularly seeing guys my scout has in the mid teens that SISA has in the mid single digits. For example the pitcher the AI drafted for me in the third round of the dispersal draft my scout had at 14/15/14 for potential and SISA had him at 5/6/5. He's just one example, but I'm finding them all over the league. The AI was also drafting guys early in the dispersal draft that had these kinds of discrepancies when I looked at other rosters with my scout's eyes. It's fine for this to happen occasionally, but when it's a regular occurance in the early rounds of the dispersal draft it seems to say that the scouting error between SISA and scouts is too great.

The salary problem is tied to the scouting problem. Because scouts see these 1/5 star guys as studs they're drafting them very early which I guess gives them a big salary. They aren't anywhere near ready to be MLB players, though, so they get sent to the minors. It's not that the decision to send them to the minors is bad, but it's not realistic to have guys making 5 mil playing in the minors. Two of the top three salaries on my team after the dispersal draft were pitching in the minors on Opening Day.

I hope staff develops like you say. I know they didn't in 2006 and I won't be playing long enough on the preview to find out.

I may be missing something. What type of league set up do you have. When I draft players they only get min salary until they are arbritration eligible. In fact they make nothing (relatively) in the minors. Are you talking about signing bonuses? So even the first overall draft pick would make $350,000, or whatever the league minimum is, if he is in the Majors.

Cheers

RichW
RichW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:10 PM   #271
JPhillips
General Manager

Rich: This is using an initial dispersal draft for all teams, not the annual amateur draft.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:13 AM   #272
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

speaking of historical sims, how do drafts play out? am i at a big advantage because i know to draft mike schmidt and ryan sandberg, etc.?
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:10 AM   #273
TigerFan1
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
speaking of historical sims, how do drafts play out? am i at a big advantage because i know to draft mike schmidt and ryan sandberg, etc.?

In the new recalculate mode you would be at a big advantage but not necessarily so in the classic mode. My thinking is the idea behind the new mode of play is generate results and player development very close to real life. Injuries can factor in but for the most part you can expect a player's career in this mode to very accurately mimic what he accomplished in his real career.

In the Classic mode the player development is much more like in a fictional world. So while there is a good chance that Schmidt and Sandberg will become superstars it is not always the case.
TigerFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #274
TigerFan1
n00b

Quote:

I would be glad to try and answer your questions. PM me here or at the OOTP board where I go by Tiger Fan.
TigerFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:30 AM   #275
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:

SISA (just like your scouts) can be way off when players are very young and have no experience. That is by design.

This salary problem is this: Once the draft is over, the game assigns fictional contracts to the players and calculates the financials based on that. Now, when you have that young player on the active roster / 40 man roster instead of in the minors when the draft ends, he'll get a salary.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:58 AM   #276
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
A couple more things.

The Sim screen doesn't default to Spring Training during Spring Training. I'm I doing something wrong or is that by design?

Design. I'll change this next year

Quote:
When I scout draft prospects I'm getting way too many MRs in the top twenty. My scout said there were 5 MRs in the top ten and 7 in the top twenty. These weren't mislabeled starters either, all of them had an endurance of 6 or 7. Having that many low value positions makes it hard to compare accurately to the SION rankings that had no MRs in the top ten.

The players are rated relative to the talent of the league at their position. So, it looks like this draft had some very highly talented MR in there. Nothing wrong with it.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #277
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
SISA (just like your scouts) can be way off when players are very young and have no experience. That is by design.

But all the teams in the league seem to be drafting guys early that SISA says are crap. I think at least for a dispersal draft that the ratings between SISA and team scouts are too far apart. If every team in the league is using top five round draft picks on guys SISA says are mid-single digit potential something isn't adding up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
The players are rated relative to the talent of the league at their position. So, it looks like this draft had some very highly talented MR in there. Nothing wrong with it.

So I shouldn't see this many MRs in every draft? I'll run a couple of seasons and see what I get. My problem is that my scouts rating of the top twenty is so dominated by MRs that I can't accurately assess who's fallen in the draft and may be a mid-first round bargain. It also just seems odd that my scout is saying 1/3 of the best players in the draft are MRs.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #278
rowech
Pro Starter

Wondering how sim times are for those of you playing. Was this an invite thing only or is there an actual demo out there?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #279
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Wondering how sim times are for those of you playing.
My current 16-team test league just took 10 minutes and 55 seconds to get from 10/01/2002 to 09/30/2003, in a league started in 2001, with other programs running in the background. That's quite a bit faster than 6.0x and 6.5x.

Quote:
Was this an invite thing only or is there an actual demo out there?
Anyone at FOFC who PMed Duffy by a certain time was invited to get a free full-featured 5-day preview. Also, a certain number of customers who pre-ordered were chosen (randomly, I think) to get in on the preview.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #280
Ben E Lou

Just shut down all background programs, and turned off facegen.

Simmed from 08/01/2004 to 07/31/2005 in freaking 3 minutes and 11 seconds.

I have one league at each minor league level, and no college or high school leagues. Remember, this is a 16-team league, but still, that's approaching Mogul-esque speed.

When I really play OOTP, I tend to sim a month at a time, so I just timed one month. July 2006 took me 31.25 seconds.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:13 PM   #281
rowech
Pro Starter

Thanks for the info. I bought puresim last year after reading the misery that was the OOTP 2006 version. I'm hopeful with what I've been reading this might finally be "the one" for baseball.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:19 PM   #282
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
July 2006 took me 31.25 seconds.
Please tell me there is some timer code in OOTP that gave you that figure - and not that you used a stopwatch.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:21 PM   #283
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
Please tell me there is some timer code in OOTP that gave you that figure - and not that you used a stopwatch.
I have a stopwatch on my mobile phone. I use it for lots of things, this included. {shurg}
Old 03-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #284
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFan1 View Post
I would be glad to try and answer your questions. PM me here or at the OOTP board where I go by Tiger Fan.

Sent. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #285
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks, Tiger, for your answers. You have a gained a customer for OOTP2007.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #286
Ben E Lou

Sim update well into the career. I actually had one app running in the background, which I have now shut down.

From 5/1/2032 through 4/30/2033 took 3 minutes and 6 seconds.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:04 PM   #287
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks, Tiger, for your answers. You have a gained a customer for OOTP2007.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #288
miked
College Starter

I hope to have my preview review up over the weekend. Aside from Facegen being cool, I'm super impressed. Don't get me wrong, there's still a few faults here and there, but most of them are known and either being worked on, or are on the radar.

The new commish portal is a godsend for online league commishes. It nearly automates everything.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:00 PM   #289
21C
College Prospect

Wasn't the preview build a 5-day demo or am I just imagining that part? This thread has been going for a week now.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:27 PM   #290
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
Wasn't the preview build a 5-day demo or am I just imagining that part? This thread has been going for a week now.

I don't think everyone downloaded it on the same day. My preview copy is over since I downloaded it on Friday.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:33 PM   #291
21C
College Prospect

OK maybe it's just Skydog then. I see he started the thread as is still posting about sim speeds a week later.

I'm guessing he got a special reset.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:36 PM   #292
rowech
Pro Starter

Reading through this I saw no mention of in-game management.

1. Is it in there? I believe it is.

2. Does anyone have thoughts on it? Especially as it might related to a game like Diamond Mind or Strat?
Old 03-10-2007, 03:35 AM   #293
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Quote:
Was this an invite thing only or is there an actual demo out there?
There'll be a release version demo when the game is ready for the public - these preview versions are 'beta demos' and as such are still work in progress builds ... for this reason they are invite only (although Duffy's been rather 'liberal' on the invite part at times ).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 03-10-2007 at 03:36 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:59 AM   #294
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Reading through this I saw no mention of in-game management.

1. Is it in there? I believe it is.

2. Does anyone have thoughts on it? Especially as it might related to a game like Diamond Mind or Strat?

It's in there. While it may never replace DMB as the defining standard for replay baseball, it's about 95% there.

The flexibility of the application, however, makes DMB look like it was written ten years ago (which is't far from the truth). The fact that you can play any season in history (along with the myriad of other fictional options) for $34.95 makes it a no brainer.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:30 AM   #295
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post

The flexibility of the application, however, makes DMB look like it was written ten years ago (which is't far from the truth).

Sadly, that's exactly why I send DMB after trying it. The game is good. The interface and look of it are terrible.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #296
Ben E Lou

This will probably be my last sim speed check-in. I created a universe with 24 teams in MLB, and corresponding numbers in AAA, AA, A, short-season A, and rookie ball. I also created a 66-team mini-NCAA (all the football-playing schools in the 5 major football conferences, plus the Big East). Finally, I created a 64-team Georgia High School Association (4 teams from each of the 8 Regions in both AAAAA and AAAA). Point being, other than foreign leagues, this is a decent-sized universe, and probably the configuration that I'll end up using when I start playing for real. I started in 2001. Here are the sim times for the months. April's the longest month in this config, because I set high schools to start on March 1st. April ends up being the month where the most leagues are playing.

04/2002: 1:13
05/2002: 0:52
06/2002: 0:44
07/2002: 0:38
08/2002: 0:28
09/2002: 0:21
10/2002: 0:09
11/2002: 0:18
12/2002: 0:52
01/2003: 0:18
02/2003: 0:15
03/2003: 0:58

ONE-YEAR TOTAL: 7 minutes, 6 seconds. My system is 3.0GB, 1 Gig RAM.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #297
spleen1015
Coordinator

That seems pretty fast, eh?

I never turned the history generation off during my preview. I am looking forward to getting the full game and seeing how fast it really is.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #298
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
That seems pretty fast, eh?

I never turned the history generation off during my preview. I am looking forward to getting the full game and seeing how fast it really is.
For a universe of that size, it seems *very* fast to me. When I first heard about multiple leagues, added minor league levels, and full minor league rosters, my first thought was that it would run too slowly for any of that to be a value-add. However, I can say without hesitation that it is very feasible, at least from a performance persepctive, to run some pretty massive association configurations.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:31 AM   #299
spleen1015
Coordinator

My system is 3.0 Ghz with 2GM RAM, so I am anxious to see what it will do. I didn't know about turning off those things until after my preview ended.

This just might be the game that manages to get some of my WoW time.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #300
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anxious to see how ootp runs on my new Core 2 duo pc!