Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Turn based tactical combat games for PC

Any one have some good suggestions here?

I am looking for something like Wesnoth, but with a bigger emphasis on the characters without going full blown RPG.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
Atocep
Coordinator

You could check out Battle Brothers, Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, or Thea: The Awakening. One of those may be what you're looking for.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
Warhammer
Pro Starter

FE was ok, but not challenging.

Thea looks interesting and is on sale, will grab that. Battle Brothers may be what I am looking for, but will wait until release.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I definitely recommend Battle Brothers - nice game and has really come a long way in the development process.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #5
Edward64
Head Coach

Possibly consider Tigers on the Hunt. If you played any of the Squad Leader series, you may be interested in this.

Matrix Games - Tigers on the Hunt
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
FE was ok, but not challenging.

Thea looks interesting and is on sale, will grab that. Battle Brothers may be what I am looking for, but will wait until release.

BB comes out on March 24th and when released will be about $10 more than now...if you plan to buy it then, might as well jump in now and save a few dollars.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Possibly consider Tigers on the Hunt. If you played any of the Squad Leader series, you may be interested in this.

Matrix Games - Tigers on the Hunt

I will keep an eye on this. I love ASL. If I only had more time to play.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #8
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'll 4th Battle Brothers. Great game. I've put it aside waiting for full release, but even in early access I've probably clocked over 40 hours at a guess.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #9
Atocep
Coordinator

As stated above, Battle Brothers is releasing in less than 2 weeks. There's only 1 final patch to go so it's not an early access you're waiting months to see how it turns out. I highly recommend it. It's my favorite of the games mentioned in here so far.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #10
Eilim
High School Varsity

If you don't mind going a bit old school, and well, a bit goofy.I can't recommend the Disgaea 2 PC release enough. One of my favorite all time 'Tactics' RPG games. It can involve quite a bit of grinding if your looking to experience all the content and not just the main story, but that has always been a plus for me as I really enjoy the combat loop and character progression.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #11
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Matrix Games? Those guys will publish *anything*
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:48 PM   #12
Izulde
Head Coach

Damn FOFC for getting me to buy Battle Brothers.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:19 AM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

Wrong forum.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 03-14-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #14
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilim View Post
If you don't mind going a bit old school, and well, a bit goofy.I can't recommend the Disgaea 2 PC release enough. One of my favorite all time 'Tactics' RPG games. It can involve quite a bit of grinding if your looking to experience all the content and not just the main story, but that has always been a plus for me as I really enjoy the combat loop and character progression.

Disgaea is awesome (Ping: SackAttack) but it is REALLY goofy. Anime-style goofy. Be ready for that.

Excellent game though.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:48 PM   #15
Eilim
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Disgaea is awesome (Ping: SackAttack) but it is REALLY goofy. Anime-style goofy. Be ready for that.

Excellent game though.

Yep, its what makes me somewhat leery of recommending it to people. I realize that the theme/aesthetic will put a lot of people off, and understandably so. But if you are a fan of games like Ogre Tactics/FF Tactics, game play wise I feel Disgaea 2 it just leaps and bounds ahead.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Damn FOFC for getting me to buy Battle Brothers.

And damn you for causing me to suddenly give it serious consideration
Old 03-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #17
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Yeah, my first thought was Battle Brothers as well. Another great one that I don't see mentioned is Valkyria Chronicles. VC is extremely heavy on the story, but a lot of good tactical decisions as well.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:57 PM   #18
thesloppy
Pro Starter

SteamWorld Heist is slightly unique in this space: it's vertical 2d (like a platformer) rather than isometric, and the aiming is entirely manual (close to Valkyria Chronicles, but VC still figures character skills/ratings into it's aiming). 10/10 rating on Steam currently, for whatever that's worth.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 03-15-2017 at 05:58 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:06 PM   #19
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Since I started this thread, I've put 27 hours into Thea according to Steam. I really like that game. While the card mini-game can be monotonous when you have a large force discrepancies, it has certainly kept me on my toes. There have been plenty of times where small errors on my part lead to defeat of my forces.

I also like the fact that playing the same deity, with different abilities unlocked, you can play it out completely different from a previous playthrough by focusing on certain characteristics. My first time through the primary quest, I focused on fighting. This time through, I am focusing on sneaking and tactics.

The quests are varied, although many of them are parodies of folktales or myths. Different options open up based upon the abilities of your followers as well, similar to options in FTL.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:16 PM   #20
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post

I'm ashamed to admit that one of my standard RPG character names is "Horsecock".....some hours into Disgaea my character Horsecock discovered and wielded the fabled weapon: horse weiner. No video game before or after has been able to match that level of glee.

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 03-15-2017 at 06:17 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:12 AM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

While this thread (okay, really mostly Izulde's burgeoning dynasty thread) sold me on Battle Brothers, alas, it didn't sell me on a computer that can actually run it (due to the OpenGL 3.3 requirement).
Old 03-16-2017, 03:09 AM   #22
bhlloy
Coordinator

Interesting the love for Battle Brothers, I never really got into it. Everything felt very generic and samey to me. Shrug.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Expeditions Conquistador, the game itself is a bit clunky and can be frustrating to get into but a very unique concept and some really fun elements. They are supposed to be releasing a Vikings version this year as well which was supposed to fix a lot of frustrations with the first one
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote