Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #851
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This should be an interesting documentary. That was one hell of an incoming group.

Man United's Class of 92 reunited for new documentary | inside World Soccer
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #852
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Man City up 1-0 in 3 minutes over CSKA Moscow on a penalty.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #853
miami_fan
Coordinator

We might have no choice but to believe this Wenger guy.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #854
TroyF
Coordinator

Arsenal win in Germany 1-0.

Only thing left is to see how the press spins this. I mean, I've heard it all this year.

No depth even when Cazorla, Wilshire, Arteta, Flamini, Walcott, Chamberlaine, Poldosky and Vermaelen have missed huge chunks of time.

They haven't played anybody I've heard time and time again. Well they destroyed Napoli, and have played Dortmund to a draw for 180+ minutes now. The win today was without Flamini, Wilshire, Walcott, Ox, Poldoski

The defense sucks, they give up too many free runs despite giving up more than one goal in only 3 of 18 matches this year.

What a win this was. Now we MUST take care of business. Beat Marsielle at home and we advance. Don't and we have to go to Napoli and get a result. I'd rather just end it early.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #855
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Arsenal win in Germany 1-0.

Only thing left is to see how the press spins this. I mean, I've heard it all this year.

No depth even when Cazorla, Wilshire, Arteta, Flamini, Walcott, Chamberlaine, Poldosky and Vermaelen have missed huge chunks of time.

They haven't played anybody I've heard time and time again. Well they destroyed Napoli, and have played Dortmund to a draw for 180+ minutes now. The win today was without Flamini, Wilshire, Walcott, Ox, Poldoski

The defense sucks, they give up too many free runs despite giving up more than one goal in only 3 of 18 matches this year.

What a win this was. Now we MUST take care of business. Beat Marsielle at home and we advance. Don't and we have to go to Napoli and get a result. I'd rather just end it early.

I'd love a result on Sunday that put ManU 11 points back.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #856
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Incredible stuff in the MLS Playoffs tonight. Houston wins in extra time. KC-NE about to head into extra time after a late goal by KC to tie things up.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #857
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's go Sporting!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #858
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Excited to see the renewal of the heated rivalry between Houston and KC. They get to meet once again in the Eastern Finals.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #859
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's go Sporting!!!!!!!!

Yeah baby!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #860
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Amazing how dire the level of officiating is in the top English league. I don't know how most of the referees stay employed.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #861
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Amazing how dire the level of officiating is in the top English league. I don't know how most of the referees stay employed.

Which decision were you talking about - I think the ref has done pretty well in the City match if thats what you're referring to?

(been really impressed with Sunderland so far - showing quite how good a manager Poyet is, they look really confident with the ball despite good pressure from City)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #862
Flasch186
Coordinator

minus the Red he couldve given on the potential horror tackle.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #863
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Giving Garcia a yellow minutes after Larsson gets nothing after nearly breaking his leg is pretty questionable. Then there is the obviously foul on Milner that set up the goal.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #864
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I also have that shit penalty Chelsea won yesterday in the back of my mind.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #865
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Thank god it's November.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #866
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Arsenal to score in the second half after the half time changes bringing Jones back into defense ... I think the lack of teeth in midfield and lesser domination in the air will hurt Utd.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #867
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Giving Garcia a yellow minutes after Larsson gets nothing after nearly breaking his leg is pretty questionable. Then there is the obviously foul on Milner that set up the goal.

I thought Milner went down easily - you can tell he's not a defender from that clip, went down like a winger looking for a foul, a bit of argie bargy is fair game at the back generally.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #868
kingfc22
Head Coach

Arsenal need to start taking some shots rather than dribbling right into the feet of the defenders.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #869
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Arsenal to score in the second half after the half time changes bringing Jones back into defense ... I think the lack of teeth in midfield and lesser domination in the air will hurt Utd.

Beginning to look like we won't crack the United defense today. Now I can wait for all the "see, beating Arsenal isn't all that tough" garbage from the media over the next few weeks.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the performance, even if we can't get the goal to tie. Dominated midfield, had a single poor set piece. This was a game that meant EVERYTHING for United and they've looked distinctly average for most of the game. I know he gets a lot of crap, but this is a game where Walcott really could have helped. His speed on the wing would have caused more problems for the slow as mud United midfield.

It's funny, as I type that, Gnabry comes on and Arsenal get two great chances in the space of a minute due to him sprinting down the right. I'm not questioning the team sheet. No way does he belong on the field for 90 minutes now. . . but I think it would have made the difference today.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #870
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Beginning to look like we won't crack the United defense today. Now I can wait for all the "see, beating Arsenal isn't all that tough" garbage from the media over the next few weeks.
Yeah I've been really impressed with the tenacity of Man Utd today - even despite the changes at half time they battled admirably, Rooney especially is an immense inspiration to them imho - even in the 92nd minute he was running all over the shop tackling for the ball.

I think Arsenal looked competant today - there wasn't a lot between the two teams and I see no reason why both can't be near the top of the pile come the end of the season.

PS - From a 'neutral' perspective I can't be upset by the result despite having a soft spot for Arsenal, it keeps the league nice and tight ..

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 11-10-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #871
TroyF
Coordinator

LOL. Holy hell. So let me get this straight, players have been falling all over the pitch all second half, and there is three minutes of stoppage time. Then in stoppage time Rooney falls to the ground for over a minute and the game gets called at 93:06?

I don't think Arsenal would have score with another ten minutes of play, but that is beyond comical. I cannot wait until United come to Emirates. I'd be stunned if Arsenal didn't win by 2 goals.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #872
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Old 11-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #873
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Keep up the good work Mike Dean. Cunt.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #874
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Yea, that was horseshit. And then they gave Javi a yellow for nothing later.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #875
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

Yeah that challenge is a shocker (think I missed it as I was cooking lunch while watching the match and so sporadically had to prevent things from burning ).
Old 11-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #876
TroyF
Coordinator

There is no way that isn't a straight red. Horrible.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #877
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
I thought Milner went down easily - you can tell he's not a defender from that clip, went down like a winger looking for a foul, a bit of argie bargy is fair game at the back generally.

I like a physical game, but this is too much to get away with on the edge of the box.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #878
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Only in Italy.

Nocerina-Salernitana match abandoned after Mastini left with only six players | Forza Italian Football

Quote:
A Lega Pro match between Nocerina and Salernitana was abandoned on Sunday after the Mastini were voluntarily left with only six players on the pitch after 21 minutes of play (video below).

The local derby was set to be played on Sunday without Nocerina fans, as they had been banned from attending and therefore wanted the match to not be played.

The start of the match was delayed for 40 minutes as Nocerina players were attacked on their team bus and refused to get off it as they received death threats from their own fans to dissuade them from playing in the match.

After Lega Pro officials at the stadium convinced the players to go ahead with the match, the game began but things quickly turned to a farce.

Nocerina used all three of their substitutions within the first two minutes of the match, before five of their players “limped off” with injuries over the next 17 minutes.

With only six players remaining on the field, below the minimum needed to continue the game, the referee brought an end to proceedings.

The entire Nocerina board of directors have resigned in the aftermath of the match while players have been told not to speak to the media about the match.

Director of sport Luigi Pavarese has tried to justify the actions of his team, stating that the injuries were due to the players “going out there without warming up” while their substitutions were “a management decision”.

However the Disciplinary Commission has opened an investigation into the match.

Below you will find a video of the events which have to be seen to be believed.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 11-10-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #879
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I like a physical game, but this is too much to get away with on the edge of the box.

Much ado about nothing imho - simply a tussle, a player should be able to stand up to that sort of stuff really .. they both had the right to go for the ball and he was simply using his body strength - I don't think he was really 'pushing him down' particularly more just holding him off ...

If you watch the clip they're both looking over their shoulders at the ball, Milner is trying to get his body in front of him to cut off his run/slow him down and he simply doesn't manage to - I concur there is definitely a fair bit of physical contact, but frankly its a physical game (and far less so than it used to be generally).

I've found the US commentators tend to scream a lot more about this sort of stuff than they do back home because here it seems to be far more non-contact .... if you watch some of the lower league teams (early rounds of FA Cup if you have DirectTV?) then they'll make your toes curl
Old 11-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #880
Flasch186
Coordinator

If I was in position and saw the behind player hit the player in front with the elbow to the back of the head I wouldve red carded him. Now Im uber protective of shots to the back of the head especially coming from HS soccer here but its such a vulnerable spot and I tend to believe that these players know what theyre doing when the run it in elbow first, then extend the arm past the point of contact to make it look like theyre pushing or buying space.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #881
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
If I was in position and saw the behind player hit the player in front with the elbow to the back of the head I wouldve red carded him. Now Im uber protective of shots to the back of the head especially coming from HS soccer here but its such a vulnerable spot and I tend to believe that these players know what theyre doing when the run it in elbow first, then extend the arm past the point of contact to make it look like theyre pushing or buying space.

If you're meaning the tussle - I don't think there was an elbow to the back of the head, it was simply a tussle for the ball ... I don't think there was particularly ill intent from either player, the defending player (Milner) was trying to block him off/slow him down (which is fair enough) and the attacking player was strong enough to force his way through ...

(its incredibly easy to argue either side really, I tend to give players the benefit of the doubt, especially when they're running at speed as you naturally move your arms during a run)
Old 11-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #882
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Pogba!

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #883
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
In a lower division Spanish league game, the goalie joined the attack at the very end of the game, with his team losing 1-0. This is what happens:

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #884
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Messi Out! | beIN Sport - News | beIN Sport US

6-8 weeks. Hammy-tear. Neymar's opportunity to shine?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-11-2013 at 09:40 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #885
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

the big Mexico game starting. if they dont win this game the players might not get out of the Stadia alive
Old 11-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #886
Butter
Coordinator

If they don't win, they still have the leg in New Zealand to fall back on. But they really need to win today.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #887
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

i think weve solved the problems thats been plaguing mexico the last year, they need to move to the Oceanic federation to look like they used too
Old 11-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #888
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Meh, Uruguay won. Granted, second leg still to go, but the harm is pretty much done. Now the 2010 runners up, coincidentally the team with the best qualifying results, is not going to be seeded at the World Cup. The FIFA Rankings is rearing its ugly head once again.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #889
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I've found the US commentators tend to scream a lot more about this sort of stuff than they do back home because here it seems to be far more non-contact .... if you watch some of the lower league teams (early rounds of FA Cup if you have DirectTV?) then they'll make your toes curl

Man have things changed since the '70s, when the US were the bullies that were all physical while the Europeans had all the skill and played so nice and neat...
Old 11-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #890
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Was that stereotype of nice neat Europeans ever applied to the English?
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #891
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon View Post
Maybe elsewhere in the world they are, but not on this side of the Atlantic (or the North Sea).
Old 11-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #892
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:

NBC doesn't employ any US commentators. They use the English feeds except for one "match of the week" which is commentated by Arlo White and Co. No one in front of the camera in the studio is American either.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 11-14-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #893
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
NBC doesn't employ any US commentators. They use the English feeds except for one "match of the week" which is commentated by Arlo White and Co. No one in front of the camera in the studio is American either.

Might not be the NBC matches I'm thinking of - but some of the matches I'm seeing on DirectTV definitely have American commentators; normally its two minor ex-English players and one American involved.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #894
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon View Post

England has never been as 'technical' as the continent, generally we're well organised and work hard (and used to go in hard also, but thats toned down somewhat these days) .... as a national team we are improving technically though .... slowly .... we've a long way to go before we'll be mistaken for Germany

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 11-14-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:29 AM   #895
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
England has never been as 'technical' as the continent, generally we're well organised and work hard (and used to go in hard also, but thats toned down somewhat these days) .... as a national team we are improving technically though .... slowly .... we've a long way to go before we'll be mistaken for Germany
Germany?
Aside from their current generation, I've never linked Germany with technique. But I could be brainwashed by how Dutch soccer media characterized the Germans as defensive ugly-scoring divers that win games on stamina. (fwiw, the current German team is highly praised for its technique)

Technique to me refers to second tier countries, like Sweden, Denmark, Hungary, the Czech Republic, the former Yugoslavian countries.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 11-15-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #896
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Germany?
Aside from their current generation, I've never linked Germany with technique. But I could be brainwashed by how Dutch soccer media characterized the Germans as defensive ugly-scoring divers that win games on stamina. (fwiw, the current German team is highly praised for its technique)

Technique to me refers to second tier countries, like Sweden, Denmark, Hungary, the Czech Republic, the former Yugoslavian countries.

LOL

At the moment I view Germany as playing nice flowing football, their 'technique' is very efficient, nice passing, good control and movement etc.

Its probably more 'acceptable' to say 'Spain' these days - but from an English perspective we look to Germany for inspiration because England beat them 5-1 back in 2006 and they've come a LONG way since then ... yeah any excuse to post a link to that match

England 5 - Germany 1
Old 11-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #897
cougarfreak
College Starter

I told my wife I was growing quite fond of Southampton, I've never really chosen a "team" when I watch EPL. She ordered me a polo, sweatshirt, t shirt, and all kinds of goods off of their website. I'm hooked now!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #898
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I told my wife I was growing quite fond of Southampton, I've never really chosen a "team" when I watch EPL. She ordered me a polo, sweatshirt, t shirt, and all kinds of goods off of their website. I'm hooked now!

Welcome to the dark side .... we have cookies

btw he's long since retired, but as a Southampton fan you need to know who Matt LeTissier was

Matt LeTissier Goals - YouTube

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 11-15-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #899
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, so Germans are efficient, the English work hard and blunder about, and all the pretty Europeans (Dutch, French, Spanish, Italian) are the most technical and precise. Whoda thunk it?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #900
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hmm, so Germans are efficient, the English work hard and blunder about, and all the pretty Europeans (Dutch, French, Spanish, Italian) are the most technical and precise. Whoda thunk it?

I don't think we 'blunder about' - we work hard and strive bravely against injustice before keeping a stiff upper lip when as go out of a tournament on penalties ....