Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

College Football Recruiting (2014 Class) Discussion

Da'shawn Hand got done visiting Michigan. It went well.

Twitter / TomVH: ICYMI, Da'Shawn Hand (@TheHand54) ...
Twitter / TheHand54: I love this place
Twitter / TheHand54: AA showed me a lot of love. ...
Twitter / TheHand54: @S_Morris12 it was straight ...

Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

Didn't like my thread?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I searched for it and nothing came up going back to 2011.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

2013-2014 CFB Recruiting thread - Front Office Football Central
Old 03-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

My guess is not having "College" or "Football" anywhere in the title contributed to him missing it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I did a search on 2014 and still nothing going back to 2011. I rechecked so that makes three checks with nothing.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

Pretty sure the search wouldn't pick up "2014" because it doesn't recognize it tied to "2013-".
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
MrBug708
Head Coach

I assumed recruiting would be enough, since it's about recruiting
Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I assumed recruiting would be enough, since it's about recruiting

Naw, better to copy the exact title word for word from the previous year, so that it will be easily found.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

No offense to Bug, but I find this thread title infinitely better at catching the eye than yours.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'm cool with combining threadss
Old 04-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Consensus top 5 WR Drake Harris out of Grand Rapids committed to Michigan today. He originally was an MSU commit and he was at OSU on Friday.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

That's huge for them. WR is a major need right now. I know initial reports have been decent from Spring practices and such, but it still feels like they are kind of throwing a bunch of guys in there and seeing who works. I know the class will be smaller, but I wonder if that doesn't mean they don't focus on some of the higher ranked guys this year like Hand.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Not sure what thread we're using anymore. Anyway Michigan set off a chain reaction in TE recruiting today by getting Ian Bunting out of Illinois. He visited USC Friday but had been considered a ND lean headed into a Saturday UM visit.

A few hours after his commitment, 4* TB Daniel Helm committed to Tennessee. He had UM in his top two with the Vols.

Shortly after that TE Nic Weishar committed to ND.

All three TE's are from Illinois.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #15
MrBug708
Head Coach

I know Mora doesnt use the traditional TE, but no reason why Helm shouldnt have been a Bruin.

USC lost an OL commit. Good thing they recruited so many these past two years..

Texas lost a commitment from an OL too. Probably headed to UCLA or OSU
Old 04-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #16
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Yeah UCLA not pursuing Helm was bizarre when you consider the family ties.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #17
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know Mora doesnt use the traditional TE, but no reason why Helm shouldnt have been a Bruin.

USC lost an OL commit. Good thing they recruited so many these past two years..

Texas lost a commitment from an OL too. Probably headed to UCLA or OSU

Helm looks like a nice player, but I completely back Mora here. If we're going to take a Y, I think we have better targets closer to LA, even though they're not legacies like Helm. Andrews, for instance, is being recruited as a tall outside receiver, but it seems like he could end up at the Y, and he's a terrific talent.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #18
MrBug708
Head Coach

Mark Andrews would be fantastic
Old 04-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #19
Logan
Head Coach

Michigan picked up an interesting commit today in 3* OL Juwan Bushell-Beatty out of NJ. Interesting in that he is the close friend and teammate of the #2 player in the country, Jabril Peppers, who has Michigan among his leaders. I'm no recruiting expert so I won't pretend these are my own thoughts, but those who have seen JBB play the most seem surprised with some of his upper echelon offers...as in he's getting them to try to pull Peppers into a program with him. I'll be interested in following along, especially since I think he ends up at Stanford.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #20
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Michigan picked up an interesting commit today in 3* OL Juwan Bushell-Beatty out of NJ. Interesting in that he is the close friend and teammate of the #2 player in the country, Jabril Peppers, who has Michigan among his leaders. I'm no recruiting expert so I won't pretend these are my own thoughts, but those who have seen JBB play the most seem surprised with some of his upper echelon offers...as in he's getting them to try to pull Peppers into a program with him. I'll be interested in following along, especially since I think he ends up at Stanford.

JBB is very raw but has good upside. We have probably recruited OL better than anyone else in the country the past two years so he will have a ton of time to develop. Certainly his relationship with Peppers doesn't hurt, but Hoke has avoided offering teammates to land a big fish in the past so I don't think this was his primary objective.

All the Michigan insiders and a few National guys are saying Peppers may commit to UM before even visiting Stanford, so we'll see. I think he will make the trip and I think Stanford is not going to roll over, but apparently Peppers is contacting several UM commits on a daily basis and that was before JBB entered the fold.

It's recruiting though, so until he enrolls in January or signs in February I am not getting my hopes up.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Considering his size at 16 years old, he's gonna be a big one. I know Michigan is going after their classic style of OL, but I'm still waiting to see how well they develop them.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #22
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Apparently Adoree Jackson is moving back home to Illinois for his senior year. He had been talking about playing in the Midwest so this likely will help ND, OSU and UM.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #23
MrBug708
Head Coach

Talk of playing in the Midwest? It's long been rumored he was UCLA/USC battle. But if he's moving back to Illinois, it makes sense I suppose
Old 05-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #24
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Talk of playing in the Midwest? It's long been rumored he was UCLA/USC battle. But if he's moving back to Illinois, it makes sense I suppose

He was only in California for two years I believe.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #25
MrBug708
Head Coach

For sure. I havent seen much on it, do you have a link?
Old 05-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #26
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Lawrence Marshall, #12 DE via ESPN, committed to Michigan. This gives them 8 in the ESPN 150.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #27
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kyle Allen to UCLA gaining steam? #1 QB will be a good heir to Hundley *fingers crossed*
Old 05-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #28
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Kyle Allen to UCLA gaining steam? #1 QB will be a good heir to Hundley *fingers crossed*

The #1 qb in the nation is committed to Clemson already.

He is ten GA state career leader in td, passing yards and competions and he hasn't started his senior season. He is also a 4.3 gap kid and president of the FCA... Remember the name DeShaun Watson, wherever he ends up he is a special, special kid.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

He is ten GA state career leader in td, passing yards and competions and he hasn't started his senior season. He is also a 4.3 gap kid and president of the FCA... Remember the name DeShaun Watson, wherever he ends up he is a special, special kid.

Here's a little article on Watson, fwiw

Football Player of the Year: Gainesville QB Deshaun Watson
Old 05-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #30
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

The only QB I see commited to Clemson is a 4*
Old 05-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #31
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Allen isn't listed in Rivals Top 100. He's #128 on ESPN's list. The first QB for both lists is Watson. ESPN has him as a four star and Rivals as a 5. I'm not sure what list you are looking at that has Allen as the #1 QB in the nation.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #32
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

ESPN says 4* Rivals, Scout and 24/7 say 5.
Ive watched the kid 15 times and he is good. No homer here, wherever he ends up he is good.
He plays 5* Ball in the loaded state of GA and led his team to a state title with no other D1 prospects on the roster as a junior. Again he holds every significant GA career record and hasnt started his senior season.

?

Last edited by CU Tiger : 05-03-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #33
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Allen isn't listed in Rivals Top 100. He's #128 on ESPN's list. The first QB for both lists is Watson. ESPN has him as a four star and Rivals as a 5. I'm not sure what list you are looking at that has Allen as the #1 QB in the nation.

Actually, the fact ESPN has him at #128 is telling because they don't cover west of Texas for shit, and even their crap scouting department has seen him enough to have him that high, lol.

That said, yeah, Bug's getting a little carried away. I'm not familiar with Watson, but he looks like he's very good. Top dual threat on Rivals and, I think, #5 overall QB on Scout.

FWIW, Rivals has Allen as the #4 drop back QB and at #136.

Also, keep in mind, it would be nice to get Allen, but he hasn't said crap about committing anywhere, much less UCLA, so I am not going to even make the suggestion he might be committing soon. That said, UCLA is among his favorites and he is supposed to be making his decision in the coming weeks (crossing fingers).

Old 05-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #34
Logan
Head Coach

I think CU is saying he thinks Allen is the #1 QB in the nation, in his opinion. That's how I read it at least.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #35
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

The only service that even bothers scouting the West is Scout, who has a few guys who look west. Rivals also hasn't even updated their list since February, which doesn't include any of the camps that have happened in the spring, so ya..

ESPN...well...lol

For reference
http://alabama.scout.com/a.z?s=14&p=9&c=4&yr=2014

And why did you suddenly forgot to list Scout in your list of services? Based on some of your posting history, it's not like you don't use them for reference when listing Michigan guys?!?

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...earchid=486123

Last edited by MrBug708 : 05-13-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #36
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think CU is saying he thinks Allen is the #1 QB in the nation, in his opinion. That's how I read it at least.

Pretty sure he was talking about Watson, whom he appears to have watched a few times and Watson is in close by Georgia. Allen's out in Arizona, and I am not sure he has ever been east of Chicago, at least for football reasons.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #37
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And why did you suddenly forgot to list Scout in your list of services?

I guess when the first two listed him lower and not even as the 2nd QB I felt like there was less need to keep on looking. 27/7 Sports doesn't rank him number one either, but you know, "they don't look out West." Scout doesn't even list his junior year numbers, but they do list his sophomore numbers.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #38
MrBug708
Head Coach

Well, when you use ESPN as a mainsite, I don't think u take recruiting too seriously
Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #39
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just coincidentally I reckon, here's today's recruiting section article at ajc.com
Nation's No. 1-ranked QB attracts long line of college suitors... | College Recruiting | www.ajc.com
Old 05-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #40
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, when you use ESPN as a mainsite, I don't think u take recruiting too seriously

I never said they were my main site. Allen isn't even listed as the #1 QB from the West on the three sites I referenced, Chryst is.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #41
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
I never said they were my main site. Allen isn't even listed as the #1 QB from the West on the three sites I referenced, Chryst is.

That's nice, but it doesn't really invalidate my statement that he's the top ranked QB in the nation, since I was using scout. It was nothing more than that.

Speaking of Allen, Bama offered this AM

Last edited by MrBug708 : 05-13-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #42
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

No, Deshaun Watson is the rivals #1 qb..and the best high school football player I've ever seen. I played against steven davis, saw Tim Tebo, Marcus Lattimore, Jadaveon Clowney, and any number of others..I've never seen a HS player the equal of Watson.

Yep. I've watched about every game he's played the last year and a half....most in person in whole, but did split time with Nkemdiche a couple times last year.

FWIW I really like Allen's arm and his command...something bothers me though and I'm not sure if it's unsure of some reads or inaccuracy..but he seems to really flip flop between über accurate and total wrong side/placement on the limited film I've seen on him.

If its accuracy, thats probably correctable. If not that may be a sign of concern for his mental ceiling. But he is without a doubt a d1 starter all the way...just not sure he is a franchise recruit, which if Watson is not...then I'm shocked.

QFT

Last edited by CU Tiger : 05-03-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #43
MrBug708
Head Coach

Scout's scouts are very high on Allen. They said he's the best HS QB they've seen in some years. Obviously scouts disagree.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 05-13-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #44
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Scout's scouts are very high on Allen. They said he's the best HS QB they've seen in some years. Obviously scouts disagree.

How many former professional coaches and nfl scouts does scout employ?

Hell I can tell you a dozen prospects I've personally rated for rivals that scout doesn't even have in the database.

I'm not trying tostat a turf war here...but IF anyone has said Allen is a once in a generation or once in seval year talent they she never be listened to again.

Kid could contribute by a rs soph or true junior season...not much before.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 05-14-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #45
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
How many former professional coaches and nfl scouts does scout employ?

No idea. Jim Mora is all over Kyle Allen, so there is one guy, though not with scout, but obviously agrees with scout. How many of them are terrible evaluators?

Quote:
Hell I can tell you a dozen prospects I've personally rated for rivals that scout doesn't even have in the database.

That's kind of irrelevant, no?

Quote:
I'm not trying tostat a turf war here...but IF anyone has said Allen is a once in a generation or once in seval year talent they she never be listened to again.

I agree. Nobody said that. I just prefer the scouting site that actually, you know, canvases the country for talent. Instead of just sticking to one area. That's my preference. Nothing more than that.

Quote:
Kid could contribute by a rs soph or true junior season...not much before.

Perhaps, but this is really a blunt statement that is more opinion than anything? What happens if someone gets hurt ahead of him? He's the starter all of a suddent. What if he does well? Do the dynamics change? What constitutes contribute? Brett Hundley was raw when he came to UCLA. He got hurt, missed his first year, RS, and had a stellar season this year.

Shoot, Rivals has him as their third QB, so are they just atoo lazy to update things? I'm assuming you didnt know this?

Last edited by MrBug708 : 05-14-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #46
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Looks like Sparty dodged a bullet (or more correctly, had the bullet miss them!)

Michigan State recruit Jay Harris giving up football for rap career - CBSSports.com

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #47
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've never seen a HS player the equal of Watson.

Did you ever see Josh Nesbitt during his HS days?

Just trying to think of the best HS QB I ever saw, not counting just TV. I saw Eric Zeier a couple of times, saw Mettenberger (not much, despite him being a local product). I think Nesbitt was the best of the bunch in HS though.

(for those who weren't familiar, what he became at GT bore little resemblance to the strong armed QB he was in HS ... one of the worst cases of coaching a player down I can think of, probably THE worse).
Old 05-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #48
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Looks like Sparty did the right thing & pulled his scholarship offer after he posted that work of brilliance.

Michigan State strips local star's scholarship after explicit rap video

Good for them.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #49
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Looks like Sparty dodged a bullet (or more correctly, had the bullet miss them!)

Michigan State recruit Jay Harris giving up football for rap career - CBSSports.com

That was horrible to listen to. I didn't even know Old Dominion had a football team so if the only other place he was looking at was Temple, I can't imagine he's all that talented.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #50
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That was horrible to listen to. I didn't even know Old Dominion had a football team so if the only other place he was looking at was Temple, I can't imagine he's all that talented.
He might not have had much of a future in football, but I can't imagine he was worse at football than he is at rapping.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote