Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-18-2021, 06:59 PM   #1
pure
n00b

New Baseball Sim Feedback

Hi folks, after spending the last few years building the "Au" engine that powers the UI for all the recent Wolverine Studios sims, I am working on building a Baseball game of my own on the engine.

Having worked in machine learning for the last ten years, I am looking at novel ideas that employ ML behind the engine (in particular for GM and Manager AI)

I'd like to post here to get feedback along the way; and today I have the first run of the ratings generation code for hitters. I think in its current state it may penalize players that had very few appearances a little too much, but I'd love your feedback.

Model Features - Test Run #1 - Batters - Google Sheets

pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
pure
n00b

Physics

Here is a quick peek at the Physics model, I simmed 300 PA for a batter with a POWER rating of 80.

The engine calculates launch angle and exit velocity for all hits.

Here are the HR for that sim session:

Statcast Model Test - EV and LA - Google Sheets
Old 07-18-2021, 08:15 PM   #3
21C
College Prospect

Looking forward to following your progress. Good luck with it, Shaun.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:32 PM   #4
Atocep
Coordinator

Launch angle and exit velo data looks solid. An 80 power per your model would be a Mookie Betts type player and those exit velos look in line with his numbers. The sweet spot for homers is 24 to 32 degree launch angle and most of these homers fall in that range.

Just a quick look, but I'd say you're definitely on the right track.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:44 PM   #5
JPhillips
General Manager

It seems like you have too many 95+ players. If you max out at 100 you need to allow space for historical players to be great.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:13 AM   #6
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It seems like you have too many 95+ players. If you max out at 100 you need to allow space for historical players to be great.
This.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:42 AM   #7
pure
n00b

I'm not sure if its clear, but the ratings in that sheet are relative to one season (e.g. if you started a replay in 1972, what would the player's initial, unadjusted ratings be relative to others in that season).

Given that, do you still think there are too many high 90's? Maybe I need to play with the curve. If you plot it now, it would be close to a normal distribution for each rating.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:42 AM   #8
BYU 14
Coordinator

Oh dang, a Shaun Sullivan sighting? Looking forward to anything you put out, will be following.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:56 PM   #9
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure View Post
I'm not sure if its clear, but the ratings in that sheet are relative to one season (e.g. if you started a replay in 1972, what would the player's initial, unadjusted ratings be relative to others in that season).

Given that, do you still think there are too many high 90's? Maybe I need to play with the curve. If you plot it now, it would be close to a normal distribution for each rating.

Let me start by saying you know what you want to do much better than I do, and you've got the programming expertise that I don't.

But, I do think baseball is defined by its history in a way that other sports aren't. We're always comparing players to players from the past. If multiple players each season are the best possible, that would make those comparisons less effective for me.