Head Coach

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-ne...m_npd_nn_tw_ma

Glad to see Twitter cracking down on QAnon
Old 07-22-2020, 08:34 AM   #26002
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
It's just blows my mind that people are so focused on how Covid can hurt them and not on the spread to others (both who it is spread to and if the spread becomes so pervasive that it overwhelms the system).

This is just a variation on the mask thing - "I don't need a mask because I'm not sick." "Kids will get it and recover because they are young and less susceptible." No concern or acknowledgement that people don't just get Covid in a vaccuum.

It seems like a lot of people truly don't grasp the concept of contagiousness. This is how the "x number of people die in car accidents and you don't see us shutting down the economy for that" argument ever took hold (and it has, I hear it constantly).

I can't figure out whether they're being deliberately obtuse or just truly don't understand. Some of the people I've heard making these arguments seem too intelligent for the latter.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #26003
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
It seems like a lot of people truly don't grasp the concept of contagiousness. This is how the "x number of people die in car accidents and you don't see us shutting down the economy for that" argument ever took hold (and it has, I hear it constantly).

I can't figure out whether they're being deliberately obtuse or just truly don't understand. Some of the people I've heard making these arguments seem too intelligent for the latter.

I think in general people who are intelligent, which this board certainly is, can't grasp how people less intelligent can't grasp basic concepts.

I think it boils down to critical thinking. We all questioned why we needed to learn math in school, but it taught is that if x=y and y=z then x=z. There are a lot of people who never caught on to that.

Last edited by Lathum : 07-22-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:45 AM   #26004
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- in no way do I want my above comment to be construed that I think I am better than them. Those same people can do a lot of jobs and have skills I can't and don't.

Last edited by Lathum : 07-22-2020 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:59 AM   #26005
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
She is the link to a lot of people being thrown under the bus, I imagine. I dont doubt she "commits suicide" as well.

A lot of people are dirty in this Epstein case. And stuff tends to leak these days.

Specifically on Epstein, I can easily believe it was suicide or a more sinister explanation. I am sure his existence threatened some powerful people significant embarrassment (at the very least).

What I don't get is he knew he was on the radar back in mid-2000's. You would think a person with his resources would have planned a better exit route, safe house etc. Pick a country with no extradition treaty and such.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #26006
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post

I think it's the former. Like they do know better, but they put that aside because of their political leanings. My mother-in-law is a nurse who deals with the elderly for God's sake and she loved to talk about how this is basically just the flu and calling her Governor "Comrade Cooper" (NC) for the lockdowns. She definitely knows better, but because of her loyalty to Trump, she has to downplay it and try to make the argument that the Democrats are hyping this up because they want Trump to lose.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #26007
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I know we keep saying this, but... who the hell is this targeting?

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:58 AM   #26008
PilotMan
Head Coach

Honestly, that sounds exactly like something directly from the mouth of trump. It's short sighted, sounds like something that he thinks will make him look good, and that will make the other guy look bad. I bet it was 100% his idea, and they are putting it together to make him happy.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #26009
QuikSand
lolzcat

Among the bugbears his not-quite-reliable-base respond to is the fight against "political correctness." This Goya stuff is in that lane, right?

"Those people" are out of control, you need a straight shooter like Trump to beat back the crazy lefties who {checks notes} won't buy 89c beans, from your new favorite brand that until today you'd never touch since it's separated into the other people's aisle at your Kroger.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:30 AM   #26010
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Among the bugbears his not-quite-reliable-base respond to is the fight against "political correctness." This Goya stuff is in that lane, right?

"Those people" are out of control, you need a straight shooter like Trump to beat back the crazy lefties who {checks notes} won't buy 89c beans, from your new favorite brand that until today you'd never touch since it's separated into the other people's aisle at your Kroger.

Definitely in that lane, but I don't think those supporters speak Spanish.

The whole Goya thing is so weird and Trump at the same time. CEO praises Trump probably thinking he'll benefit from it like Putin, KJU, and countless other people that stroke his ego without realizing he's going to set of a shitstorm with the people that actually buy his products. Those people start boycotting, rural white folk start buying up the Goya beans because everything has to be political now, and I'm sure red state food banks are full of donated Goya beans.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #26011
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
and calling her Governor "Comrade Cooper" (NC) for the lockdowns.

I think that one of the things that has really pissed off Cooper's November opponent (NC's Trumpist Lt. Gov.) is that Cooper has been really reasonable throughout this whole thing. They keep trying to portray him as a crazy leftist, and he keeps doing things like setting the state standard for reopening schools as partially in-person, but allowing districts to go online if they want.

Other than the folks who are just going to hate him for the D by his name, he's managed to navigate this whole thing pretty well.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #26012
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Of course the folks that stopped buying Goya aren't the Democratic leadership, but the Latin folk who were peeved by Goya's CEO. So putting that on Spanish language TV seems to be a major fail - as it reminds Latin folk to not buy Goya if you don't like what the CEO did.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #26013
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that one of the things that has really pissed off Cooper's November opponent (NC's Trumpist Lt. Gov.) is that Cooper has been really reasonable throughout this whole thing. They keep trying to portray him as a crazy leftist, and he keeps doing things like setting the state standard for reopening schools as partially in-person, but allowing districts to go online if they want.

Other than the folks who are just going to hate him for the D by his name, he's managed to navigate this whole thing pretty well.

Cooper seems to be polling very well too. Has something like a 10+ point lead on the Republican challenger.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to hear about all sorts of "voter fraud" in NC by my MIL because she won't be able to comprehend how Cooper is going to win in November.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:12 AM   #26014
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So are people actually boycotting Goya or is it just twitter hype?

I'm not sure if I've ever heard of the brand until it made the newz.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #26015
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Seems like it. At least I've been seeing people mentioning a lot more Goya on the shelves than usual.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:22 AM   #26016
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Seems like it. At least I've been seeing people mentioning a lot more Goya on the shelves than usual.

Was at the store yesterday, some bare shelves but lots of Goya.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:38 AM   #26017
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Yes, people are actually boycotting it.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:59 AM   #26018
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Yes, people are actually boycotting it.

So if this boycott works, and the Goya CEO has to backtrack . . .
Old 07-22-2020, 12:01 PM   #26019
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

I guess that's my point - this is a political ad about 3 months from the election and it's aimed at his base. Unless they believe there's a significant number of untapped Hispanic voters who will be swayed by this kind of thing.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #26020
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think that the number of people who are boycotting Goya and the number of people who never thought to buy it in the first place overlap quite heavily.

Like Steam?

Old 07-22-2020, 12:11 PM   #26021
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I think that the number of people who are boycotting Goya and the number of people who never thought to buy it in the first place overlap quite heavily.

I really like black beans. And my criteria for buying is "store brand or whatever is on sale if it's cheaper than the store brand." It would take a LOT for me to deviate from that overall strategy.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #26022
QuikSand
lolzcat

buy the Goya 8-pack at Costco not woke cha ching
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:32 PM   #26023
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I really like black beans. And my criteria for buying is "store brand or whatever is on sale if it's cheaper than the store brand." It would take a LOT for me to deviate from that overall strategy.

That's generally my take too when shopping at Krogers.

My exceptions are extra toasty Cheeze-Its, mixed vegetables, and pizza rolls.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #26024
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

This is also my strategy. I'm not going to pay $1.50 for a $.99 can of beans just because it has a brand label.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #26025
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I laughed pretty good at this one

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:38 PM   #26026
Warhammer
Pro Starter

With regards to beans, it depends. If it is chili beans, I definitely have a preferred brand, Brooks. For baked beans, we go with Bush's. Outside of that, typically do not have a preference.

We do buy quite a bit of Goya products but it primarily falls into the juice category. They have a line of fruit juices that are pretty tasty that my kids love, the mango in particular.

The people I see this is targeted at are conservative Latino voters. In a state like Texas and Florida, that demographic will be important this election.

That is why I never understood Republican leadership with the animosity towards Mexico. Many Latinos are more on the conservative side of things. Trying to block immigration is a long time loser for the party. If you encourage legal immigration, doing it the right way, I do not think you alienate the Latino voter. When you try to stop all immigration, you do.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #26027
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
That is why I never understood Republican leadership with the animosity towards Mexico. Many Latinos are more on the conservative side of things. Trying to block immigration is a long time loser for the party. If you encourage legal immigration, doing it the right way, I do not think you alienate the Latino voter. When you try to stop all immigration, you do.

They are catering to the "They're taking our jobs" crowd.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:32 PM   #26028
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That part of the Republican Party (the George W. Bush side) has lost that internal battle. But who knows, if Trump gets destroyed, they may come back.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:33 PM   #26029
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
With regards to beans, it depends. If it is chili beans, I definitely have a preferred brand, Brooks. For baked beans, we go with Bush's. Outside of that, typically do not have a preference.

We do buy quite a bit of Goya products but it primarily falls into the juice category. They have a line of fruit juices that are pretty tasty that my kids love, the mango in particular.

The people I see this is targeted at are conservative Latino voters. In a state like Texas and Florida, that demographic will be important this election.

Worked fine for Bush junior. He was getting around 40% in 2004, I think.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #26030
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yes. The GOP, though, is going with the California option.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:59 PM   #26031
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
That's generally my take too when shopping at Krogers.

My exceptions are extra toasty Cheeze-Its, mixed vegetables, and pizza rolls.

Love the extra-toasty Cheeze-its, hope I never have to boycott them
Old 07-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #26032
RainMaker
General Manager

I just want to say I have no idea that there are brands people are passionate about when it comes to beans. I think I get Bush's Beans most of the time but if the generic is there, I always go with that. They're beans, I'm sure they are all coming from the same damn place.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #26033
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Old El Paso better stfu. I doubt I’ve ever bought Goya anything but OEP taco kits are life
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:31 PM   #26034
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Love the extra-toasty Cheeze-its, hope I never have to boycott them

Most different sub-brands of snack food are just gimmicks that the Nabiscos of the world use to try and take up more shelf space.

But not extra-toasty Cheeze-its. Those things are Amazing! The only question I have is why aren't they all extra toasty?
Old 07-22-2020, 03:43 PM   #26035
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I just want to say I have no idea that there are brands people are passionate about when it comes to beans. I think I get Bush's Beans most of the time but if the generic is there, I always go with that. They're beans, I'm sure they are all coming from the same damn place.

But when it's someone from your ethnicity, it takes on a different POV. Like black folk who want to support black owned businesses. Latin folks buy Goya to support someone like them.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:59 PM   #26036
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Old El Paso better stfu. I doubt I’ve ever bought Goya anything but OEP taco kits are life

NEW YORK CITY?
Old 07-22-2020, 04:16 PM   #26037
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I always get their refried beans.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:43 PM   #26038
Edward64
Head Coach

Didn't know Trump and Obama agreed on this.

Americans tune in to ‘cancel culture’ — and don't like what they see - POLITICO
Quote:
One of the few things that Barack Obama and Donald Trump agree on is cancel culture.

In the last year, as numerous public figures have become the targets of online campaigns by social media swarms, the former and current president have spoken out against the practice. “That’s not activism,” Obama said last November. “That’s not bringing about change. If all you’re doing is casting stones, you’re probably not going to get that far. That’s easy to do.”
A definition (and guess the Goya CEO falls into this grouping):

Quote:
There’s significant disagreement about what cancel culture is or even whether it exists. The POLITICO survey used a neutral definition of cancel culture adapted from its entry on dictionary.com: “the practice of withdrawing support for (or canceling) public figures and companies after they have done or said something considered objectionable or offensive."
Some stats:

Quote:
Cancel culture is generally discussed as being performed on social media in the form of group shaming. A plurality (46%) of Americans believe that cancel culture “has gone too far.” About a quarter of Americans — many of whom are perhaps blissfully offline — said they didn’t know or had no opinion on the matter. When they are removed from the results, a clear majority — across almost every demographic category — says that cancel culture has gone too far.
A generational thing:

Quote:
Age is one of the most reliable predictors of one’s views. Members of Generation Z are the most sympathetic to punishing people or institutions over offensive views, followed closely by Millennials, while GenXers and Baby Boomers have the strongest antipathy towards it.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-22-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:45 PM   #26039
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

When it come to baked beans, or really anything that premade with a sauce, then brands matter. Just a regular can of beans? Store brands are as good as name brands.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #26040
molson
General Manager

Cancelling seems to be a social media hobby. I don't think I've heard any actual, legit individuals or organizations calling for it. Companies have just learned its easier to give in to social media waves.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:50 PM   #26041
PilotMan
Head Coach

You know what's fucked up? That we've been talking about beans and there hasn't been even ONE SINGLE MENTION about him asking the US Ambassador to the UK to try and convince them to play the British Open and Turnberry!

This, on it's very own, is a high ranking scandal with weeks of airplay behind it and a multitude of congressional hearings regarding the president of the US using US diplomatic leverage to try to enrich his own personal business. It's exactly the reason why we make presidents divest themselves before they take office ffs!

I mean, in the scope of his bullshit, it's just one more thing, but alone as a the behavior of the US leader, it's reprehensible.

Like Steam?

Old 07-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #26042
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The problem is Pilotman, no one with any real power to do anything cares. That in of itself is an impeachable offense. The GOP Senate is just not going to ignore it, or worse justify it. It just something else he will never be held accountable for.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-22-2020 at 06:03 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:16 PM   #26043
tarcone
Coordinator

One day Amazon will be the US president and Google will be the Vice president.

We the people will just be pawns in a system of ever growing profiteering.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:27 PM   #26044
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
One day Amazon will be the US president and Google will be the Vice president.

We the people will just be pawns in a system of ever growing profiteering.

You left out Microsoft and Apple for the MAGA companies.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:34 PM   #26045
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think you missed an important part of that Politico article, imo:

Quote:
“You often see pluralities or majorities saying this stuff goes too far,” he said in an interview. “But then if you ask whether we ought to be more concerned about sexual harassment or racism or whether certain specific kinds of speech ought to be sanctioned, then you start to see the that fundamental ideas behind these freighted terms are more popular than the terms themselves.”

He’s correct. In the POLITICO poll, 53% agreed with the statement that “even though free speech is protected, people should expect social consequences for expressing unpopular opinions in public, even those that are deeply offensive to other people,” while only 31% said their view was closer to the following: “There should not be social consequences for expressing unpopular opinions in public, even those that are deeply offensive to other people because free speech is protected.”

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-22-2020 at 06:36 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #26046
Atocep
Coordinator

I've seen multiple people on different parts of the internet suggest that if Trump loses in November that Christianity is going to get outlawed over the past few days. The persecution complex and general fear these people live in day to day is starting to boil over as the polling continues to look bad for Trump.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:51 PM   #26047
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've seen multiple people on different parts of the internet suggest that if Trump loses in November that Christianity is going to get outlawed over the past few days.

By noted Catholic, Joe Biden, no less.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2020, 07:02 PM   #26048
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I've seen multiple people on different parts of the internet suggest that if Trump loses in November that Christianity is going to get outlawed over the past few days. The persecution complex and general fear these people live in day to day is starting to boil over as the polling continues to look bad for Trump.

Fear is how FOX news and the GOP keep people in check. My In Laws literally think if Biden wins we will become a socialist nation.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:07 PM   #26049
tarcone
Coordinator

Watching with great interest the debate for St. Louis County Executive.
This is a race that is full of money and drama.

Popcorn watching for sure.

RDIT: This is the democrats debate who will win if they win the primary.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

Last edited by tarcone : 07-22-2020 at 07:08 PM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:08 PM   #26050
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Fear is how FOX news and the GOP keep people in check. My In Laws literally think if Biden wins we will become a socialist nation.

Many Democrats would embrace the notion of US becoming a socialist nation.