Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2003, 07:31 AM   #1
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Playoff Hockey

Well, another a few-games-too-long regular season is behind us. Once again, the New York Rangers and their kajillion dollar pay-roll are hitting the golf courses come early April. Once again the Ottawa Senators sit poised atop the Eastern Conference just waiting to get "upset" by some bruising, physical team. The bigguns' in the West are there as usual: Dallas, Detroit, Colorado. We finally have a team from Minnesota back in the post-season, not too mention a team from Florida (been a while).

Also like to extend a hearty cognrats to Chief Rum's victory in the FOFC fantasy hockey league. I did what I could with the Auto-HB drafted team, but it wasn't nearly enough. Even got screwed out of 4th place by TWO POINTS. Hopefully my beloved Detroit Red Wings will avenge my bitter defeat and take down the Might Ducks of Anahiem!

That brings us to... The Match-ups:

Eastern Conference:

#1 Ottawa vs. #8 New York Islanders

This is a nifty little first round match-up. I quite like it, though I think the Senators should win handily. Last year's Toronto-Islanders play-off series was easily one of the most, if not the most entertaining series in the post-season. You don't have quite as many "combustible elements" here (no one has as many of those as the Leafs), but you have the whole "Yashin" subplot and Ottawa's vow, yet again, to get "tougher" which they seem to have with the late additions of Varada and Rob Ray courtsey of the Sabres. The Iles are a tough, nasty bunch (Cairns, Weimer, Scatchard, Webb, etc.) and are likely going to try to out-muscle the more talented Sens. Even though Garth Snow has played well, he is still Garth Snow, big, stupid-looking in pads and not all that great. I see the Senators winning in 5, but it should be good fun.

#2 New Jersey Devils vs. #7 Boston Bruins

Poor Bruins finally felt the effects of losing their top scorer and #1 netminder. They really tanked after the midway point of the season. New Jersey struggled at times as well, but Brodeur has been excellent and should be enough to carry them past the Bruins. I like the Bruins, love Joe Thronton. They are definitely helped by Samsonov's return, but don't have great goaltending (Hackett's been knicked up) and lack a solid blueline. Even the Devils, with their inability to score more than 2 goals a game, should be able to oust the struggling Bruins. Then again, the Bruins did fire Ftorek right before the end of the season. That usually means good things in the post-season, but it's not enough here. Devils in 4... Maybe 5.

#3 Tampa Bay Lightning vs. #6 Washington Capitols

The Lightning started off like gangbusters in the begining, cooled off, got sorta hot again and then rode it out. They team is nifty. I love the 'Buhlin wall, St. Louis and Richards became threats and Lecavialer came into for as well. No, he's not the next Mario Lemieux, but he had a decent season. The Caps are a weird team. They seem to have decent talent (Lang, Jagr, Bondra, Nylander, Gonchar, Witt, Kolzig) but can't pull it all together. Jagr is weird. Bondra had a down year. All very strange. That being said, if Kolzig plays well (again it's anybody's guess) they should previal. I think they will, in 6.

#4 Philidelphia Flyers vs. #5 Toronto Maple Leafs

Wow. A GREAT first round series. Great. It will be a HUGE disappoint for whichever team loses this one, as both had Stanley Cup dreams dancing in their heads. Both teams re-tooled before the play-offs. The Flyers went out and got Amonte, Sami Kapanen, and Claude LaPointe. The Leafs got big-gun Owen Nolan and old-timers Dougy Gilmour, Glenn Wesley, and Phil Housley. This is a tough one to call. Both have good, though somewhat erratic goalies in Chechmanek and Belfour. Both have a ton of talent upfront, but somewhat questionable blue-lines. At the end of the day, I think I have to go with Hitchcock and the Flyers. In 7.

I will do the West later....

Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 07:48 AM   #2
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think the Flyers are sitting pretty come playoff time. Much better than in years past. Right now they are on a 9 game non-losing streak, Checkmanic (our weakness per say) has a 1.91 goals against average 3rd best in the league, and Gagne and Williams are back and ready to play. They tied Jersey for the least goals allowed this year. The Flyers are really deep, how many teams can have a second power play line of Recchi, LeClair, and Primeau. But saying that I remember what happened last year. I dont see this happening to this year's team. Hitchcock has them peaking at the right time.

Pat Quinn is already bitching that games have to be played on back to back nights because of a Yanni concert that was scheduled in philly 8 months ago. I cant wait for the faceoff wednesday night! LET'S GO FLYERS
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 08:13 AM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Western Conference

#1 Dallas Stars vs. #8 Edmonton Oilers

What has become a right of Spring, a tradition if you will, the Oilers and Stars meet in the first round of the play-offs which will likely be some of fastest-skating, hardest-hitting, most exciting one-sided first round match-ups of the year. Isn't it always though? These teams must be sick of each other. But, as it has been (save the one year Todd Marchant scored his game-winner following an amazing save by Cujo) the Stars will likely win this series. I don't think it's such a foregone conclusion, especially with Guerin still injured and Dallas entering the play-offs with a "rookie" netminder (yes, he posted the best GAA in modern times, but history has shown the first year in the play-offs can be a treacherous one for young netminders). That being said, Salo hasn't impressed at all this year. The Oilers have been pretty hot and, as always, are a very entertaining team, but I don't think they have enough. I think the Stars are in their head. I see this one going 5 games. Dallas winning.

#2 Detroit Red Wings vs. #7 Anaheim Mighty Ducks

These teams have met twice before: 1997 and 1999. I think that may be the only play-off appearances for the Ducks. Some classic OT games in '97, including a triple-over-time game that ended on a Slava Kozlov goal. That's behind us. These aren't the same teams. Detroit is much older, but has since added Hull, Robitaille, CuJo, and Schneider, not too mention super-youngsters Datsyuk and Zetterberg. The Ducks also have more offense than ever before. Instead of holding your breath until Selanne and Kariya got off the ice, you now have credible scoring threats such as Sykora, Thomas, Ozolinsh, among others. The Ducks are deeper than ever before and have more solid goaltending. Giguere's been lights out. That being said, I think the Wings should win. I am thinking 5 games should do it.

#3 Forces of Darkness(tm) vs. #6 Minnesota Wild

Great to see the Wild in the play-offs. Though, I must admit, it does suck to see a trapping-type team here again. Lamaire is a great couch, but his tactics suck the life out of any game. It's almost painful to watch at times. Granted it's all the Wild can really do given their talent-level in comparison to their opponent, but it does suck. The Wild could give the Avalanche a bit of a scare, trapping teams always can. Though I don't think the Wild have enough offense to beat Roy and the Avs. I see the Avs winning in 4, possibly 5.

#4 Vancouver Canucks vs. #5 St. Louis Blues

A great series. Could be the best in the first round. The Canucks are an exciting team to watch. Fast. Skillful. Physical. Their top line of Bertuzzi-Morrison-Naslund is just a treat to watch. Cloutier is a bit of head-case, always has been, but hopefully he learned from last year's play-offs (see: Lidstrom's 50 footer) and can grow on it. The Blues are a talented team and are just getting Pronger back which should be a huge life if he is able to regain his form. Goaltending could be a problem. Osgood has been a bit shaky since the trade and though he won a cup with the Wings, many believe it was inspite of him, not because of him. I am on the fence on that one. That being said, I think the Canucks grew up a lot after last year's early round exit and aren't ready to go quietly into that good night. I see the Canucks in 6.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-07-2003 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:26 AM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
#4 Vancouver Canucks vs. #5 St. Louis Blues

A great series. Could be the best in the first round. The Canucks are an exciting team to watch. Fast. Skillful. Physical. Their top line of Bertuzzi-Morrison-Naslund is just a treat to watch. Cloutier is a bit of head-case, always has been, but hopefully he learned from last year's play-offs (see: Lidstrom's 50 footer) and can grow on it. The Blues are a talented team and are just getting Pronger back which should be a huge life if he is able to regain his form. Goaltending could be a problem. Osgood has been a bit shaky since the trade and though he won a cup with the Wings, many believe it was inspite of him, not because of him. I am on the fence on that one. That being said, I think the Canucks grew up a lot after last year's early round exit and aren't ready to go quietly into that good night. I see the Canucks in 6.

Of course I have to chime in on this one. Vancouver has only one big threat line and Jackman & MacInnis need to keep them at bay. Pronger needs to be a physical force and Weight needs to show he's a leader. I'm not down playing Vancouver, they can score and play physical as well, but I think the Blues are much deeper on the bench. That being said, Osgood needs to at least make the normal saves.

Should be an exciting series and I'm glad it's Vancouver instead of Colorado.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 08:47 AM   #5
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

What a big break you got, I was hoping the Wild would get Vancouver. Vancouver is beat-up and not playing at all like they were just a couple of months ago.

The only chance the Wild have is to split in Colorado, otherwise I think they will be done in 4 or 5.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:13 AM   #6
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Upset of the year...Minnesota speed burns the Avs to the ground. No one can stop Gaborik, especially not Adam Foote. Wild beat Avs in 6 games.

:runsscreamingfromtheroom:
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 09:15 AM   #7
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
Upset of the year...Minnesota speed burns the Avs to the ground. No one can stop Gaborik, especially not Adam Foote. Wild beat Avs in 6 games.

:runsscreamingfromtheroom:

hehehehe, wishful thinking Sach?!
Old 04-07-2003, 09:46 AM   #8
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Did Gaborik even score a goal in the second half of the season?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-07-2003, 09:53 AM   #9
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Stars/Oilers: I could watch this series every year and never get tired of it. Oilers should give them trouble, but Stars have too much talent. Stars in six.

Wings/Ducks: When did the NHL institute the first round bye? Wings in four.

Avs/Wild: The Wild will be tough here. I could see this being the classic "underdog gets a couple of early wins" series, but in the end the Avs have too much talent. Avs in six.

Canucks/Blues: Should be a good one. Both teams have question marks in goal. This one could go either way. Canucks in seven.

Sens/Isles: This should be fun to watch, only because of the clash of styles. The dirty, goonish Isles against the disciplined, diving Sens. Garth Snow is nowhere near good enough to win this series, especially with Ottawa getting 15 powerplays a game. Sens in five.

Devils/Bruins: This one could be an upset. There are two rules of playoff hockey: the #7 always beats a #2 in the East, and Pat Burns always does well in his first year. Tough call. Devils in seven.

Lightning/Caps: Who cares? Can we please get rid of the dumb "automatic #3 seed" rule for this terrible division? Caps in six.

Flyers/Leafs: Flyers look good, but Leafs always pick it up in the playoffs. Toronto takes too many penalties, but Flyers PP has looked shaky. Too close to call, but I'd rather have Eddie in net than Chokemanek. Flip a coin. Leafs in seven.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 10:17 AM   #10
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I don't think Wings v Ducks is as easy a series as everyone is making it out to be. Did you see the goals CuJo let in yesterday? That is NOT the way you want to head into the playoffs, with your supposedly 'bigtime' goalie looking like a confused puppy after every goal.

If the Wings were smart they'd put Manny Legace between the pipes now, give him time to gear up before they meet the top-tier teams, he's far more stable than Joseph.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 10:30 AM   #11
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

GO LIGHTNING!!! This Franchise has finally actually had a positive season... Is there nothing you can depend on anymore in this country?

What kind of odds is Vegas giving on a Lightning/Wild Stanley Cup Final?

Shock the World TB!!

Last edited by MylesKnight : 04-07-2003 at 10:31 AM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 10:51 AM   #12
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I'm pulling for the Lightning, too. Khabibulin is a monster when he wants to be. He could carry them into the second. Washington is going to throw a lot of rubber his way.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:00 AM   #13
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Well, after looking through all of this, sad to say, but, Sach, get ready to start shining that cup, cause I think it's headed to Dallas.

I've been trying to think of a team that can beat them, but I'm just not seeing it.

I also realize that Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa, Colorado, etc fans are in total disagreement with that, but, it's just my opinion. I really do and have believed that Turco is a big time goalie and I think that is what they need to carry them to the promised land.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:37 AM   #14
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Carolina did, once, back in December in Raleigh. I was there. The zenith of the season. Oh, how the mighty(mites) have fallen.

But hey, at least we get a top-two pick in the draft this year.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:38 AM   #15
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Yeah for us! Thanks Cards, I know how hard that must have been to say, but I trust your opinion.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:42 AM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Nope, I don't think Dallas will win it this year. I think Colorado has a good chance. They are really playing some good hockey and I can't wait to see them vs the Redwings in the second round.

The Blues have been playing like poop as well, so Vancouver has just as good a chance as the Blues do of beating them. Ever since Pronger came back, the defence has relaxed too much.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 01:02 PM   #17
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have mixed feelings on Turco. On one hand, I want him to succeed and play well in the play-offs. You have to support the fellow Wolverines. On the other hand, I would like him to struggle and flop so that Dallas doesn't make it out of the first round. I think I'll take a middle-ground, he plays well, as good as any rookie (who is not Patrick Roy) could be expected, but, in the end, falls to Detroit's crafty and skilled veterans in the Western Conference Finals.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-07-2003, 01:35 PM   #18
JeeberD
General Manager

Let's Go Oilers!!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 01:38 PM   #19
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
Did Gaborik even score a goal in the second half of the season?

Yep, he scored yesterday!
Old 04-07-2003, 01:47 PM   #20
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Let's Go Oilers!!!!

I warned you before...don't make me come up there, Jeeber!
Old 04-07-2003, 01:48 PM   #21
JeeberD
General Manager

Old 04-07-2003, 02:03 PM   #22
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Interesting how the West playoffs changed so much in the last day:

I personally think that Anaheim could be the surprise team of the playoffs. If they had ended up playing Dallas, I think they might have been able to pull off an upset. Detroit, though, is the one team that I don't think Anaheim can surprise, given Detroit's big first round scare last year.

I couldn't be happier for Colorado to FINALLY get a relatively easy playoff round - really their first easy round in 2 years. Minnesota is a nice team, and won't fold easily, but Colorado should win pretty easily.

Dallas and Edmonton is always fun. I think the fun series to watch is Vancouver / St Louis. The Canuckleheads HAVE to be reeling a bit about blowing the division lead (and the scoring and goal scoring race) to my Avs. Take two physical teams that can score and add two goalies with confidence problems and you have the makings of a GREAT series.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:12 PM   #23
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I don't think Dallas has anything to worry about, Edmonton hasn't been the same since the trade IMHO. Vancouver would have probably finished alot higher if Cloutier hadn't got hurt, so I don't think you can really fault the team as a whole, look at how Dallas faltered without Turco.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:20 PM   #24
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cards4ever
I don't think Dallas has anything to worry about, Edmonton hasn't been the same since the trade IMHO.

?

granted, they had a pretty easy schedule, but Edmonton only lost 3 games after the trade deadline.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:46 PM   #25
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
?

granted, they had a pretty easy schedule, but Edmonton only lost 3 games after the trade deadline.

Maybe so, but I just don't think they are a team that can challenge for anything after that trade. I just don't see the same zip in the team since that trade.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:54 PM   #26
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow, that was harsh, Maple Leafs!

I'll agree, though, that the Wings are the one team the Ducks could have problems with. They have shown they can play with Dallas and the Avs, and I personally think they would have had a 50-50 shot against the Canucks or the Blues.

But the Wings have always done us in. They always seem to beat the crap out of us. Every now and then we pull out a good one (I think we beat them 3-1 in Detroit in January), but for the most part they have this mystifying control over us (mostly, of course, because they are damn talented, but this seems to go even beyond that).

HB is right in that the Ducks have played the Wings in each of their other two playoff years, although he's wrong in that they are the only team we have played-- we beat up on the Yotes in '97 before meeting the Wings in the second round.

But HB is also right about this Ducks team being deeper and having better goaltending. Not that we stack up against the WIngs, and like I mentioned before, the psychological edge for the Wings seems huge, but we aren't just a one-line team anymore. Kariya-Rucchin-Sykora has been one of the best lines in the NHL, and Oates, LeClerc, Thomas and Chistov are solid scorers behind them. Three of those players have oodles of playoff experience, and Kariya and Rucchin have playoff experience as well in the Ducks' last two visits to the postseason. Olausson and Ozolinsh are fine blueline scorers who have also seen more than a few playoffs (Olausson was wearing the white wing ringed in red last year, you know), and the still have a tough D with Salei, Carney, Vish and the rookie Sauer.

The one piece that could make the difference for us is Jiggy. When he is on, he is pretty hard to beat. But he has been just on-and-off the past couple months, and so far as I know, this is his first playoff. Ouch!

I see the Wings in 6, a tougher series than some of you are expecting, but still a win for the Wings. And I'm going to cross my fingers we can repeat the miracle series the Kings had against these guys two seasons ago.

Thanks, HB, for the congrats on the FOFC hockey win. It's about time I won one of these damned things. SOme of my picks just worked out well.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 03:08 PM   #27
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Congrats on your club getting Kunitz CR, I think you will like him. A great go to go for Ferris State this year, and hopefully in the pros.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:32 PM   #28
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I was really impressed witht he numbers he put up, but I'm not familiar with how close American college hockey approximates NHL hockey (what kind of "conversion" I can expect). I saw Kunitz's signing and I was really excited with the numbers he put up, since we can always use good offensive options like that.

In my experience, guys from the American college system can often make the jump fairly quickly, often making an impact in their first year in the NHL. Two Duck examples that come to mind is Kariya and MacDonald. Kariya, of course, had the talent anyway, though, and he took a year off to play with the Canadian junior national team, so it's hard to tell with him. But MacDonald made the jump directly and made an impact last year right away.

The most well-known I can immediately recall of a successful jump was by Drury when he went to the Avs a few years ago.

Would you care to give me a rundown on what I can expect from Kunitz? I don't follow college hockey much (we don't have many teams out here in California, lol...). What is his upside? His best skills? How soon do you think he can make an impact?

I know he's already invited to the September camp.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-07-2003 at 03:32 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 03:50 PM   #29
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
I was really impressed witht he numbers he put up, but I'm not familiar with how close American college hockey approximates NHL hockey (what kind of "conversion" I can expect). I saw Kunitz's signing and I was really excited with the numbers he put up, since we can always use good offensive options like that.

In my experience, guys from the American college system can often make the jump fairly quickly, often making an impact in their first year in the NHL. Two Duck examples that come to mind is Kariya and MacDonald. Kariya, of course, had the talent anyway, though, and he took a year off to play with the Canadian junior national team, so it's hard to tell with him. But MacDonald made the jump directly and made an impact last year right away.

The most well-known I can immediately recall of a successful jump was by Drury when he went to the Avs a few years ago.

Would you care to give me a rundown on what I can expect from Kunitz? I don't follow college hockey much (we don't have many teams out here in California, lol...). What is his upside? His best skills? How soon do you think he can make an impact?

I know he's already invited to the September camp.

Chief Rum

I only got to see him play a few times this year, but he impressed me with his overall game, when Ferris was on the powerplay against North Dakota, they used him on the point and he definitely was the guy UND focused on. Against the Gophers he scored 2 SH goals! That is tough to do against Minnesota. He got hurt in that game and came out twice to try to skate it out and continue play. He just seems like the kind of guy that refuses to lose, I love those kind of players myself.

Skills? Great speed, great ice vision and a definite playmaker.

Upside? With any guy you get without having to draft, I think that's a huge advantage, that is telling you, he is maturing late to fall under the NHL scouting radar and not be drafted. He is a winner, he took Ferris to the regular season CCHA title, and in a conference with Michigan and Michigan State, that is quite a achievement.

How soon of a impact? Hard to say, depends on where and how much he plays and if he takes advantage of that and gets some points. He doesn't have alot of size, he's more Kariya like, I'm sure you would enjoy another Kariya!

If you get a chance, watch the Frozen 4 games this week, I can guarantee you that you will see some guys that are going to end up in the NHL and be big time players.

For example, here are the players that are already drafte dand who owns there rights from Minnesota

PJ Atherton-Tampa Bay
Keith Ballard-Buffalo
Matt DeMarchi-New Jersey
Matt Koalska-Nashville
Joey Martin-Chicago
Paul Martin-New Jersey
Grant Potulny-Ottawa
Andy Sertich-Pittsburgh
Troy Riddle-St Louis
Barry Tallackson-New Jersey

and Thomas Vanek will be a first round choice this spring and probably will only play one more year of college hockey before playing in the NHL.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:05 PM   #30
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Here is the scouting report I got from Inside College Hockey on Kunitz today, I was pretty damn close in my evaluation!

Chris Kunitz
Ferris State
Senior
Forward Statistics: 42 GP, 35-44—79
Bob Daniels calls him the most complete player in the nation, and he may be right. Kunitz is a solid two-way forward, a tenacious penalty killer, is versatile enough to play the point on the power play or work along the half boards and can score by utilizing his speed, skill or grit.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:39 PM   #31
bbor
Pro Starter

Ummm........Although a Leaf supporter...i don't really care who wins the cup.I just hope EVERY series goes 7 games.

This is truely the time to be a hockey fan...i can't see myself NOT sitting in front of the TV for the next month.

I may move in with Blackie in his new appartment soon...cause my wife is gonna kick my ass out.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 04:38 PM   #32
Karim
College Starter

Dallas 4 vs. Edmonton 0
Detroit 4 vs. Anaheim 2
Colorado 4 vs. Minnesota 1
Vancouver 4 vs. St. Louis 3

Ottawa 4 vs. NY Islander 1
New Jersey 4 vs. Boston 2
Washington 4 vs. Tampa Bay 2
Philadelphia 4 vs. Toronto 3

Dallas, Detroit or Colorado will win it all as per usual.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 06:23 PM   #33
Travis
Pro Rookie

Sorry to disagree with all of you, especially Karim, but the Oiler's will upset the Stars in 6. Cards4Ever, I'm not sure how many games of the Oiler's you watched this year, but the deadline deals did improve them, and their play proved that. They're bigger, just as fast as before, and I still maintain that Corey Cross is going to be one of the best guys we aquired at the deadline for us in the playoffs.

That and Laraque is going to have one hell of a series.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:15 PM   #34
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Travis, where in Canadia are you from?
Old 04-08-2003, 09:18 PM   #35
Travis
Pro Rookie

Just outside of Edmonton, but don't let that fool you, I'm very objective
Old 04-08-2003, 11:34 PM   #36
JeeberD
General Manager

I like your style, Travis...

Old 04-09-2003, 01:38 AM   #37
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
I like your style, Travis...

Heh, mine won't matter, the only style that will count is in the corners and in front of the net, and when it comes to that, hard to beat Laraque or Smyth respectively.

Btw, keep your head up Hatcher, Georges is itching to knock it off
Old 04-09-2003, 02:21 AM   #38
Karim
College Starter

Travis, don't get me wrong. I'll be cheering for that "other" Alberta team , but watching the final few Oilers games down the stretch really scared me off of their chances -- especially the final game against the Flames. The amount of defensive lapses against an awful team was not something I'd want to see going into the playoffs. Outside of Laraque, they looked absolutely brutal, and if any of that crap caries over, they'll be eaten alive by Dallas - even sans Guerin and Turgeon.

I hope they'll upset, but I don't see it happening. No team with a rookie coach and rookie goalie (first-time starter in the playoffs goalie) has won the cup but I think Tippett and Turco are for real and certainly with a good enough supporting cast to get by Edmonton.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 08:03 AM   #39
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
Sorry to disagree with all of you, especially Karim, but the Oiler's will upset the Stars in 6. Cards4Ever, I'm not sure how many games of the Oiler's you watched this year, but the deadline deals did improve them, and their play proved that. They're bigger, just as fast as before, and I still maintain that Corey Cross is going to be one of the best guys we aquired at the deadline for us in the playoffs.

That and Laraque is going to have one hell of a series.

Even if all that is true, you still have Salo, Salo is not a guy that is going to take you anywhere.

Trust me, I'm not a big fan of Dallas(ask Sach), I just don't see Edmonton beating them.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:22 AM   #40
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

It's Wednesday!!! Let the games begin!!!

I love the playoffs!
Old 04-09-2003, 09:27 AM   #41
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Ive watched the last what seven series between Edm and Dall. I do believe a few games will be close, but I do not see the Oilers winning more than a game.

Call the series 4-1.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:59 AM   #42
Travis
Pro Rookie

heh, it's amazing how a lot of Salo detractors have come out of the woodworks since the Olympics. Yes, our final game against Calgary was awful, but even Detroit and Dallas has looked awful at points this year, and that was really our only 'bad' game since the trade deadline. Fact is, that was their only loss in their last 8 games I believe, and they pulled in something like 34 points in March, even while resting quite a few players to try and be mentally and physically prepared for the playoffs (a true luxury we haven't had here in years).

The biggest question about the Oiler's isn't their ability to beat Dallas, it's going to be their ability to battle playoff inexperience and step it up to the next level, if they do that, and Salo plays the way he did in the last 2 months, we'll be in the second round.

Key is going to be splitting the first 2 games in Dallas, can't let them be up 2-0 and get Billy back. And hey, if I'm wrong, that's cool, but we're sure as hell not going down in 5 or less.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:46 PM   #43
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Unhappy

I used to be a big Salo fan, but this year he just didn't have it. He went on a little bit of hot-streak mid-way through, but that was it basically. He was mediocare at best the rest of the way. I hope the Oil prevail, but I think 4-1 Dallas is probably more likely.

And once again... My new, Euro-lifestyle will prevent me in revelling in play-off glory as I was always intended to do so. I will have to get up at the ass-crack of dawn, stagger out of bed, load up NHL Radio.com and listen to an internet tape-delay of my beloved Wings. Sad, but true. Sad, but true...
Old 04-09-2003, 01:31 PM   #44
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
heh, it's amazing how a lot of Salo detractors have come out of the woodworks since the Olympics. Yes, our final game against Calgary was awful, but even Detroit and Dallas has looked awful at points this year, and that was really our only 'bad' game since the trade deadline. Fact is, that was their only loss in their last 8 games I believe, and they pulled in something like 34 points in March, even while resting quite a few players to try and be mentally and physically prepared for the playoffs (a true luxury we haven't had here in years).

The biggest question about the Oiler's isn't their ability to beat Dallas, it's going to be their ability to battle playoff inexperience and step it up to the next level, if they do that, and Salo plays the way he did in the last 2 months, we'll be in the second round.

Key is going to be splitting the first 2 games in Dallas, can't let them be up 2-0 and get Billy back. And hey, if I'm wrong, that's cool, but we're sure as hell not going down in 5 or less.

I've never been on the Salo bandwagon, I've never thought of him as a goalie that can win a cup.

That is going to be Dallas' biqgest question mark, can Turco be the goalie that can take you to the promised land. I think he can, I've watched him for a long time, since college, and I've always been on the opposite side of him, I was a Gopher fan the year of the Mike Legg Lacrosse type goal, and I am no fan of Dallas, but he wins and I think he'll be hoisting the cup this year.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:31 PM   #45
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I was a Gopher fan the year of the Mike Legg Lacrosse type goal.

Good times... Good times...
Old 04-09-2003, 02:40 PM   #46
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
Good times... Good times...

A better time was last April when the Gophers beat Michigan on their way to the NCAA Championship!

Now if they can do it again tomorrow, that would be even better!
Old 04-09-2003, 10:13 PM   #47
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Well, one night down and... I've already realized that everything I thought I knew was wrong.

God I love this time of year.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 04-09-2003 at 10:15 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:02 PM   #48
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I've never been on the Salo bandwagon, I've never thought of him as a goalie that can win a cup.

That is going to be Dallas' biqgest question mark, can Turco be the goalie that can take you to the promised land. I think he can, I've watched him for a long time, since college, and I've always been on the opposite side of him, I was a Gopher fan the year of the Mike Legg Lacrosse type goal, and I am no fan of Dallas, but he wins and I think he'll be hoisting the cup this year.

I never said Salo bandwagon, I just find it funny how prior to the Olympics he didn't have a lot of detractors, he was generally considered a fairly good to sometimes spectacular goalie playing on a team that couldn't field enough talent up front to go the entire way.

Then the Olympic spectacle with the one beating him from center that triggered Sweden's collapse, and ever since it seems more and more people have come out saying he's not a Cup capable goalie and that they've always thought that (just never said much about it before "the goal").

Having watched him in Edmonton, my opinion of him is that when he's on his game, he's one of the top 5 goalies in the league, when he's not on top of things, he's still probably top 10. Sure he has probably 5 bad god awful games a year where you wonder what the hell is going on, but everybody does. I still thank Cujo for going for the cash in Toronto so that we made the deal for Salo. He took less money to resign with us rather than go the free agency route, and I think this may be the year that he proves himself in the playoffs and sheds the negative "big game" myth surrounding him.

But that's just my two cents
Old 04-09-2003, 11:32 PM   #49
JeeberD
General Manager

Hell yeah, way to go Oilers!!!

Come and get me, Satch...

Old 04-09-2003, 11:44 PM   #50
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Damn, one year away from the playoffs and I almost forgot how much I hate Derian Hatcher. Sure fells good hating him again when the Oil win!
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote