Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
st.cronin
General Manager

Werewolf XLV - ROME! (Game over, post 3425)

Starting the game thread a day early; the next post will be the final draft of the rules, following that will be a list of the public roles. After that, I will consult random.org for the secret roles, and send out pms.

We begin on Day I. The deadline is Monday, 9pm Eastern Time.

Day II begins: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...&postcount=261

day II ends/day III begins:

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...&postcount=501

day III ends/day IV begins

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...postcount=1052

day IV ends/day V begins
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...postcount=1467

day V ends/day VI begins
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...postcount=1966

day VI ends/day VII begins
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...postcount=2324

day VII ends/day VIII begins
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...postcount=2606

day VIII ends/day IX begins
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...postcount=2864

day IX ends/day X begins
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...postcount=3084

day X ends/day XI begins

day XI ends/day XII begins

in case at some point my pm box gets full email st.cronin at gmail. please put werewolf in the subject.

knives out

Last edited by st.cronin : 04-21-2007 at 04:34 PM.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
st.cronin
General Manager

RULES

2 Consuls

There will be two Consuls, a public role. Consuls serve two day cycles. On their second day cycle, the Senate will elect two new Consuls. The two players with the most votes will be chosen. Consuls have the following abilities: Each day, they may have one Senator arrested for treason. They may not arrest a Consul or Tribune.

1 Tribune of the Plebs

There will be one Tribune of the Plebs, a public role. The Tribune has the authority to veto one vote per day. If he vetos a lynch vote, nobody gets lynched, and both players get freed. If he vetos a consul vote, that post goes empty. In the case that the tribune post becomes empty, the plebs will elect a new tribune. (That is, one will be selected by random.org).

2 lawyers

There will be two additional public roles, the Best Lawyer in Rome, and the Second Best Lawyer in Rome. The lawyers may be hired by any player. When you have hired a lawyer, he may be used in the following ways:

- to defend yourself from an accusation of treason (this will be more effective if the player is, in fact, innocent)

- to represent you in a lawsuit (more on this later)

- you may appoint him as the Senate's lawyer, and prosecute a charge of treason (this will be more effective if the player is, in fact, guilty)

When a player who has hired a lawyer dies, that lawyer becomes richer. Lawyers have some other abilities which are a secret.

THE PUBLIC ROLES LISTED ABOVE MAY BE EITHER REPUBLICANS OR TARQUINISTS TO BEGIN THE GAME

Lawsuits

Each day, you may name a player you feel has wronged you in a lawsuit. (It is not necessary for this lawsuit to be based on anything - all that is required is that you desire to acquire some of that player's wealth.) The following day, this lawsuit will be decided. If you successfully sue somebody, your financial situation will be improved (and your target will find himself poorer). If you sue somebody and lose, there may be negative consequences. There is also a small chance that evidence of treason may come out.

Wealth

No two players are equal in wealth, but which is the wealthiest man in Rome is not known by anybody precisely. Wealth comes into play in the following way: When services are for sale, players will submit secret bids to the gm in the following form: "I wish to purchase service z." The wealthiest player to bid for a particular service, wins the bid. This is different than the way money has been handled in other games. An example of how this works is:

On Day 1, Prostitutia Sexia is offering her services in the Forum.
Player A pms me "I wish to buy Prostitutia Sexia's services"
Player B pms me "I wish to buy Prostitutia Sexia's services"

As GM, I know that Player A is richer than Player B - the players themselves may not know that, they will only know into which level the players fall. So the result of this would be that on Day 2, Player A would have Prostitutia Sexia's services.

What Happens to a Player When Arrested

Each Senator is allowed to vote to convict ONE player each day. The player must get a majority of votes by the Senate to be convicted. When convicted, that player will be tossed off the Tarpian Rock. Any other players in jail will be released, unless a consul issues a new arrest warrant for him. So, for example:

Day 1

Consuls arrest player A and player B

Day 2

Senate votes - player A gets 14 votes, player B 11 votes. Player A then gets thrown off the rock, and player B gets freed. The consuls will then issue two more arrest warrants. If player B is arrested again, he will not go free. Since a majority vote is required, it is possible for both players to go free. It is not possible for more than two players to be on trial at the same time.

knives out
Old 04-07-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
st.cronin
General Manager

The first Consuls of Rome are:

Alanus Teeus
Westvus Fanus

(their term will end upon completion of day 2)

The Tribune of the Plebs is:

Saldanus Lathumus (this is a lifetime appointment)

The best lawyer in Rome is:

Swaggus Swaggus

And the second best lawyer in Rome is:

Ardentus Enthusiastus

The wealthiest men in Rome are:

Bulletus Spongeus
Dodgus Erchickus
Imus Thecrewus

The following Senators are known to be extremely wealthy:
Coffeus Yakus Warlordus
Ironsus Headus
Lonestarus Girlus
Marcus Vaughnus
Schmidtyus Schmidtyus

The following Senators are known to be moderately wealthy:

Abeus Anxietus
Antus Meisterus
Autumnus Leavus
Barkeepus Valerius Fortynineus
Pathus Twelveus
Peregrinus Barbarus
Snus Dvlus
Westvus Fanus

The following (remaining) Senators are of ordinary wealth for the Senatorial class:
Alanus Teeus
Ardentus Enthusiastus
Chiefus Rumus
Daddyus Torgous
Grammus Atticus
Hoopus Guyus
Kayus Whitus
Narcizus Lispus
Neonus Chaosus
Saldanus Lathumus
Swaggus Swaggus
Tyrus Ithus

knives out

Last edited by st.cronin : 04-08-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
st.cronin
General Manager

Persons selling their services in the Forum

Gallus Clarus, ex-legionnaire
Titus Ludius, ex-legionnaire
Durus Pimpus, dealer in sexual slaves
Animus Sentus, person rumored to be affiliated with the Priesthood
Furius Lucius, former warlord of Gaul, enslaved and now freed
Lexus Postus, owner of many horses
Blakus Fortunatus, owner of many horses

and of course,
Swaggus Swaggus
Ardentus Enthusiastus

knives out
Old 04-07-2007, 10:45 PM   #5
st.cronin
General Manager

Primer

On Day I there is no vote. The Consuls have the authority to issue one arrest warrant each. They will do this by pm to me. They do not HAVE to issue an arrest warrant, and there will be no record of these arrest warrants.

Players may bid for the services. This is also done by pm to me, in the form of "I wish to purchase the services offered by xxxxx." If you win this bid, you will have the use of those services on DAY II.

Players may also sue another player. This is done publically in the following format:

SAINTUS CRONINUS SUES CARTUS MANUS

Please use bold and caps for this. Lawsuits will be settled on Day II, and from here out will be settled the day after they are announced.

knives out
Old 04-07-2007, 10:46 PM   #6
st.cronin
General Manager

Roles are now being rolled, and will be sent out via pm shortly.

knives out
Old 04-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

got some kind of PM. Checking in
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
st.cronin
General Manager

I believe all roles are sent. If you did not get a pm, please send me one.

knives out
Old 04-07-2007, 11:14 PM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

well...i'm nice and ordinary
Old 04-07-2007, 11:19 PM   #10
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Wolfus Maximus checking in
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:19 PM   #11
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm the 2nd best lawyer? Please. Who can argue like I can? Note, I didn't say effectively.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:36 PM   #12
hoopsguy
General Manager

Garden variety senator here, looking to safeguard Rome in the coming days. I am not one blessed with a particularly famous family and I have not yet crafted a reputation for better or worse. But I am loyal to the idea that is Rome and hope that we can continue to build a better government in the coming days.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:55 PM   #13
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Hey all!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:06 AM   #14
WVUFAN
College Starter

First Consol checking in?

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:11 AM   #15
Schmidty
Coordinator

I am a person of boringatudeness. Hi.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:24 AM   #16
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I bleed for Rome. But my blood is a rather ordinary, dull red, I am afraid.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:25 AM   #17
WVUFAN
College Starter

Question:

Can Consuls be re-elected to their posts, do are they disallowed becoming Consols again?

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:54 AM   #18
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
Question:

Can Consuls be re-elected to their posts, do are they disallowed becoming Consols again?

They can be re-elected, but not to consecutive terms.

knives out
Old 04-08-2007, 01:00 AM   #19
st.cronin
General Manager

dola, one other clarification: If you secure the services of somebody, those services are yours to use as you please, INCLUDING donating them to somebody else.

knives out
Old 04-08-2007, 05:28 AM   #20
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

st. cronin, can you edit your money post to include everyone so I don;t have to keep clickign back to the sing up thread to see who is in the game?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:11 AM   #21
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Are there more rules that I'm missing? This isn't making much sense to me, like what is our ultimate goal? Do we know that there are people who are in fact, treasonous? Are there different political factions? When does the game end?
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:46 AM   #22
Lorena
Unregistered

I have received my PM
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #23
Lorena
Unregistered

dola,

and for spreadsheet purposes, are we voting people off by screename or name given to us?
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:03 AM   #24
Barkeep49
Coordinator

As this glorious nation embarks on its bold new experiment without a dictator I welcome the new found role of the Senate in advising the people of Rome in the proper way of things.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #25
KWhit
Coordinator

Ordinary Senator here, loyal to the Republic of Rome.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:42 AM   #26
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm here and ready to serve... except I have family in for the holiday and won't be around much until tomorrow.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #27
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I own all the yaks in the Republic. Ave Romanus!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #28
Autumn
Head Coach

I, Autumnus Leavus have been fortunate to have become a man of some wealth in this great republic. The gods and the wise administration of the Senate have made it possible. I hope my humble service can help guide the Republic on its upward path.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #29
Ironhead
College Prospect

Loyal Senator to the Roman Republic checking in.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #30
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

the idea would be to smoke out the treasonous tarquinians and toss them from the rock (which incidentally isn't ALL that impressive...i suppose a fall would still kill you, but it's nothing awe inspiring).
Old 04-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #31
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

A simple true Roman, of modest beginnings, reporting. Might we all remember that we serve not ourselves, but the people. Let us make sure that Rome never falls under any oppressor again.

Regnat Populus
Old 04-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #32
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Well I'm checking in. I guess I need some help from others on a few points here...

First of all, I have my other two daughters this weekend (until Wednesday morning), so get the juggle 3 daughters, hospital stuff and work stuff for a few days so bear with me.

Second, I'm interested in suggestions on who might be treasonous among us. As with normal day one votes, I have very little clue on people's allegiances so am interested in knowing what others feel about those we interact with. I won't commit myself to choosing to arrest someone based on what people say , but any input would be helpful for me.

Third, There is much talk about money so far, people who are wealthy, purchasing services from others etc.. I don't have any information about money at all in my PM though. All I am told is that I am loyal to the republic. So am I to assume that all we know about our own wealth is whats listed in the groupings above?

If so then I guess I'm not going to have much remarkable to give for the republic here beyond my first two days. I'll try to do my best to further our cause before I leave my post, but with the complete lack of information to start with I am afraid of pointing a finger at an innocent man. I'm heading to the hospital now for a while, but will check back at some point later tonight.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #33
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Also I am curious to what reasons many of us would have to sue another for. I don't have any information that would indicate personal conflicts with others on an individual level. As far as I am aware, its the senate looking to keep ourselves free from our former opressors. If we end up finding someone not loyal to the republic's cause we simply would throw them off the rock, not bring up an individual lawsuit.

So does anyone have any thoughts on what reasons or goals would be behind personal lawsuits?
Old 04-08-2007, 12:25 PM   #34
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Alan, money is another thing that needs explanation. What good are the services that the various vendors provide? I guess st. cronin will explain that in time. Apparently lawsuits are just to make yourself richer, but again, with no knowledge of what money is good for, it's hard to see why we'd bother. As for Tarquinians as DaddyTorgo mentioned, I have no idea who they are or why we want to kill them.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:25 PM   #35
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Lawsuits

Each day, you may name a player you feel has wronged you in a lawsuit. (It is not necessary for this lawsuit to be based on anything - all that is required is that you desire to acquire some of that player's wealth.) The following day, this lawsuit will be decided. If you successfully sue somebody, your financial situation will be improved (and your target will find himself poorer). If you sue somebody and lose, there may be negative consequences. There is also a small chance that evidence of treason may come out.

Ok, I went back and found the info on the lawsuit stuff. Missed this in my hasty reading..

So with what it says here, there being a small chance of some information on treason coming out, is there any good group reason to not have as many lawsuits as possible? Sure, you risk an individual risk of some negative consequence to your person, but its for the betterment of the republic in the long haul I would think...

Any thoughts on us all working to try to put forth as many personal lawsuits as we can in hopes we might have indications of treason pop from some (or any) of them?
Old 04-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #36
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Alan, money is another thing that needs explanation. What good are the services that the various vendors provide? I guess st. cronin will explain that in time. Apparently lawsuits are just to make yourself richer, but again, with no knowledge of what money is good for, it's hard to see why we'd bother. As for Tarquinians as DaddyTorgo mentioned, I have no idea who they are or why we want to kill them.

The Tarquinians are our former opressors who we have chased out to form our new Republic. Evidentally there is some talk that members of our senate might be sympathetic to the Tarquinian cause and wish to bring them back in once more to crush our republic. I believe that is the goal of our actions here in the long run.. to identify who those traitors to the republic are and throw them off of the rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Persons selling their services in the Forum

Gallus Clarus, ex-legionnaire
Titus Ludius, ex-legionnaire
Durus Pimpus, dealer in sexual slaves
Animus Sentus, person rumored to be affiliated with the Priesthood
Furius Lucius, former warlord of Gaul, enslaved and now freed
Lexus Postus, owner of many horses
Blakus Fortunatus, owner of many horses

and of course,
Swaggus Swaggus
Ardentus Enthusiastus

As for what the various people above can do for us, I bet we could try to make educated guesses... ex-legionnaires might be some form of personal bodyguard that we can buy for the night. What might some of the other roles do for us?

Priests
Sex slaves
Formerly enslaved but freed warlord
Horse owners?
Old 04-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #37
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I need to run. I'll check back tonight. One last question I guess for cronin here...

If you purchase the service of one of those roles, does it affect your overall wealth? Ie: you now are that much less wealthy due to spending some of your wealth for that service? Or for game purposes does your place in wealth status only get effected through lawsuits?
Old 04-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #38
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Antus Meisterus is checking in.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #39
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well since there are only two lawyers, we can only have two lawsuits a day, yes? With so many people it will take a while, but we could just keep suing everyone until treason is revealed. We know the lawyers are safe, since they're not Senators, right? They can't be traitors?
Old 04-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #40
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
We know the lawyers are safe, since they're not Senators, right? They can't be traitors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
THE PUBLIC ROLES LISTED ABOVE MAY BE EITHER REPUBLICANS OR TARQUINISTS TO BEGIN THE GAME

Looks like any of the public roles (includes lawyers) could be working for the Tarquinists.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #41
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Looks like any of the public roles (includes lawyers) could be working for the Tarquinists.

Damn...so the tribune, consuls, lawyers can also be Tarquinists. This is definitely going to be a pain to weed through.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #42
hoopsguy
General Manager

I asked about the lawsuit prior to the start of the game. What I got out of the answer was that it was a mechanism to improve your value while diminishing someone else in the process. So a way to move up the economic food chain, for better or for worse.

I know this is convenient for me to suggest as someone who is not born into great wealth, but the people who can buy services in theory have the most to give the people and conversely present a larger risk if they are Tarquinists. So I believe optimal play is to begin with lawsuits against those near the top in an effort to find a traitor. Even if the suit is unsuccessful it gives a small positive check mark if it does not turn up treasonous behavior.

That is about as far as I've gotten on strategy at this point in the game.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #43
Peregrine
Pro Starter

It seems to me that the easiest way for an assured win is to simply check everyone with lawsuits repeatedly until the traitors are revealed. Assuming they cannot spread their wicked beliefs to others, and if the consuls do not hang anyone, we can be assured to find all the guilty parties with no unnecessary loss of life.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #44
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

With no night action, I seriously wonder how the Tarquinists are gonna trim the herd. Unless we just randomly die during the course of the day.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #45
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
It seems to me that the easiest way for an assured win is to simply check everyone with lawsuits repeatedly until the traitors are revealed. Assuming they cannot spread their wicked beliefs to others, and if the consuls do not hang anyone, we can be assured to find all the guilty parties with no unnecessary loss of life.

I don't think we have that kind of time. As I just posted, I think somehow, we're gonna get offed by bad guys throughout this. There's too many players to just axe one person a day.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:42 PM   #46
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

You all are missing the point on the lawsuits. They have nothing to do with the lawyers that can be hired.

To do a lawsuit on someone you simply put in Bold in the thread PlayerA Sues PlayerB.

Quote:
Players may also sue another player. This is done publically in the following format:

SAINTUS CRONINUS SUES CARTUS MANUS

Please use bold and caps for this. Lawsuits will be settled on Day II, and from here out will be settled the day after they are announced.

I don't see anything in the rules that indicated that there can't be 14 lawsuits a day. I also don't see anything that indicates one player can't sue multiple people. The only thing I see is that it indicates there might be some penalty for losing a lawsuit (my guess is losing some wealth perhaps?).

This goes back to my original point that I haven't seen many comment on other than Hoopsguy alluding to my idea.. Whats do we lose from having as many lawsuits brought forth as possible? I think some of you are assuming the lawsuits will definitly show some tendancy for treason if its there, but the rules state there is a chance of that happening. My thoughts on that wording means it might or might not show some signs of treason if its there (perhaps decided by random.org) So it could take people being sued a few times to work out the odds.

I'll go a step further and state, I have no objection if people want to sue me in an attempt to try to find some treasonous tendancies from me. (As well as try to get some of my little wealth that I may have). Just keep in mind if you choose to do so, you have no right to complain if others do it to you.

I'm thinking for day 1, I'll be looking at whom I want to place in arrest (so far no one has given me any thoughts on people to suggest to look at), as well as I'll be considering one or possibly even multiple people I wish to sue as well.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #47
SnDvls
Pro Starter

checking in on the Holiday.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #48
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

alan...i like your thinking on the lawsuits.

I am also not possessed of great wealth, nor any special standing within the community at this point.

Lawsuits give us a small positive checkmark, yes? Nothing definitive, but how about if we set a deadline day (3 or something) where we say that no one should be voted for consul (or put forth as a candidate) until they have undergone an arbitrary # of lawsuits? does that make sense? And then just everyone blast each other with lawsuits...or people can state their consular ambitions several days ahead of time and put themselves up to be blasted by multiple lawsuits in advance?
Old 04-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #49
hoopsguy
General Manager

Also, an attorney can be hired for a defense. If we are serious about trying to obtain information about treason (and concede that this is far from a lock) and there are only two attorneys, then I would submit it is in the best interest of the people that the attorney are used to press lawsuits and not defend.

If either of the attorneys have additional insight into the process, or can correct a misconception, please feel free to do so as needed.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #50
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Also, an attorney can be hired for a defense. If we are serious about trying to obtain information about treason (and concede that this is far from a lock) and there are only two attorneys, then I would submit it is in the best interest of the people that the attorney are used to press lawsuits and not defend.

If either of the attorneys have additional insight into the process, or can correct a misconception, please feel free to do so as needed.

if that's true, I agree with you as well hoops.