Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #201
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

fwiw, I tested the speed several times yesterday at different hours & with different number of devices connected and using data (had YouTube videos playing on several devices at once).

The results strongly suggest that it's time of day/overall demand across the provider that influences my speeds, not what we're actively doing here. I actually saw higher speeds when I tested with four devices active at the same time than I got with only one earlier in the same day. By last night speeds were off a good bit (low 20s instead of 30+) versus the middle of the afternoon.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:45 AM   #202
Icy
Pro Starter

I'm paying around $120 for this in my home in Spain but that is also with TV TIVO, two mobile phones with unlimited calls and home phone with unlimited calls too, it's fiber optic connection. This test was ran on wireless, plugged to the router i get 200Mbps download.

Last edited by Icy : 04-23-2014 at 03:48 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #203
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Finally got my modem/router replacement from Comcast - an all-in-one device. Guess I'll see how much faster and reliable it is. Both my modem and router were pretty old so I guess I should expect some better numbers/performance, one would think.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #204
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I was just told that I can trade in my home modem for one that is 3x faster (Comcast $40/month, I think). Going to post before and after to see if it makes a difference

But I would not pay any more to have faster results - why would I? Nearly everything I do online is very fast but I don't stream movies or stuff like that. Even the fastest connection in the world is not going to make YouTube and their weird buffering go any faster, I don't think.

Something curious though. My son watched just about every March Madness game. But he much preferred to watch on our iPad via wifi vs. on my PC with wire - he said it was really sluggish on the PC. I had wondered why?

Have had my new Xfinity modem/router box for 5 days now and ran several Speedtests. The results are marginally better but I only have the basic Performance plan with them which is no extra cost. However, the critical thing is that we have not had to reset the router at all! To me that's amazing to go from having to reset it 1-3 times a day for two years to none at all.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 10-12-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #205
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

So, what is the situation with u-Verse today? It's now available where I live. Charter is atrocious and recently went all-digital, which made my TiVo almost unusable.

Do they cap usage? Are they more likely to be more restrictive than other companies? Is their voice option high quality? Is there any way to get a human being when you call them (I've tried a couple of times and failed)?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #206
kcchief19
Pro Starter

U-verse does have a data cap, but it's kind of cagey. For U-verse high-speed Internet, the cap is 250 GB, and it's a three-strikes policy -- no charge, just a notice for the first two times you exceed 250 GB in a month. The third time and future times you get charged $10 per 50 GB over 250.

However, it doesn't appear that AT&T monitors usage in all areas. I've never received a notice from AT&T that I've exceed my usage. I stream video almost every single day in addition to my other usage. When I login to my account, I'm told my usage data is not available, and it doesn't appear on my bill.

As far as performance, I had U-verse from 2007-09, and it was decent. I returned in 2012 and the performance was noticeable degraded. I have the same model gateway router/modem they gave me in 2007. I had more frequent video outages and phone outages than before. I have the 18 mbps service, and for the first year or so I almost never topped 15 mbps in speed tests.

However, speed has picked up lately. I routinely hit 18-20 mbps in off hours. Right now on Sunday night primetime, I tested at 11 mbps on my laptop while streaming video to my phone.

But I'm in KC, and AT&T is making network improvements to compete with Google Fiber. When I signed up in 2012, 18 was the max I could get. They now offer 24 and 45 in my area for $10 more each level (I'm now paying $61 plus $7 equipment fee for 18). So I'm not sure my experience will translate to Michigan.

But Charter should be comparable to Time Warner Cable, and while video and Internet reliability were about the same, phone reliability and quality with U-verse was much better.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #207
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Personally I have been very happy with Uverse since I got it - I've never been notified about being over the cap - I know for a long time after they announced the cap their website said they were not tracking it in my area - may not still be, as far as I know, because I use the internet a ton.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #208
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Personally I have been very happy with Uverse since I got it - I've never been notified about being over the cap - I know for a long time after they announced the cap their website said they were not tracking it in my area - may not still be, as far as I know, because I use the internet a ton.

Same here on my side. I have only had it a few months, so maybe my usage has just been low, but there is quite a bit of usage in my house and never a peep from ATT so far. The service has been absolutely outstanding - no issues whatsoever (far cry from what we had with TWC).
Old 06-29-2016, 09:42 AM   #209
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Uverse Gigabit is coming to Greensboro, and it looks like TWC is trying to keep customers. I had typically been at around 36/6...until this morning.

No additional cost. Yeah, I'll take that.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #210
BigDPW
College Prospect

I have Uverse in name only... Basically DSL 1.5Mbps due to being so far from the base and only having copper between my house and the AT&T station/hub whatever you call it... Have tried to no avail to find an alternative. No other internet provider in my area other than satellite. No cable on my road. I live within a half mile or so of people with much faster internet just no major developments around my house to encourage any providers to put in any fiber here yet.

Hoping for Google Fiber to be generous and install in my area of Raleigh but not counting on it.

Any suggestions on other alternatives from people with similar experience. Not going to move for internet either because I built a house on our family farm - I am 3rd generation here.

Forgive me for being jealous of your previously getting 36/6 Ben E Lou!

Last edited by BigDPW : 06-29-2016 at 06:43 PM.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:59 PM   #211
spleen1015
Coordinator

How close is cable? Pay them to run it to your house?
Old 07-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #212
BigDPW
College Prospect

Probably 0.25-0.5 miles
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #213
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I just got another upgrade on Xfinity and I am wondering what download speeds are most of you getting (excepting those with fancy gigabit services).
Old 01-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #214
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post

sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:19 PM   #215
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just got another upgrade on Xfinity and I am wondering what download speeds are most of you getting (excepting those with fancy gigabit services).

145 download and 13 up on my wireless router with Xfinity.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:24 PM   #216
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Good grief. 653 mb/s...in Fargo?! How???

I'm up to 175, which is a 50% improvement than what I had.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:39 PM   #217
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Good grief. 653 mb/s...in Fargo?! How???

I'm up to 175, which is a 50% improvement than what I had.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:10 PM   #218
molson
General Manager

113 down, 2.89 up.

I can pay for more speed, but that's plenty for me at $50/month.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #219
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

14.21 down
5.72 up

edit to add: went back to page 2 and found my post from 7 yrs ago

and this from three years ago

I guess I have an idea now of why I'm not as impressed with Charter as I used to be. (granted, that one was a super high performing fluke I happened to capture)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-29-2018 at 09:19 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #220
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post

Holy crap, an OC-12. You should set-up synchronous disk mirroring for disaster recovery.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:06 AM   #221
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

and this from ~4 years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

I guess they are consistent?

Last edited by CU Tiger : 01-30-2018 at 11:13 AM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #222
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I mentioned in the Net Neutrality thread about switching to a local/regional provider. We bit the bullet and are quite happy. We've actually been measuring a little faster than this typically, but I have a bunch of stuff open right now...

Old 01-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #223
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

My upload speed is gash and it prevents me from sharing my Plex too much. My parents are kind of in the boonies in Minnesota and have much closer to what Been just posted.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #224
DanGarion
Coordinator

Comcast don't care about your upload speeds!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:51 PM   #225
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Continue to smh, particularly at Ben’s speed.

I wonder, though, does speed equate to reliability and stability? I get decent speed once I get connected through my Blu-ray/SmartTV but not when Comcast is jacking around on their end or too many people are clogging the pipe. Are they separate things?

Dan, I’ve noticed that. At least you’re getting over 10 while I’m at 6. But then again, I hardly upload much.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:29 AM   #226
PilotMan
Head Coach

Upgraded my router to pull what I'm actually paying for now. This is double the DL speed I had before. Spectrum needs to open the upload side up. This is on wifi on the one level up and on the other side of the house. I was pulling 230 on a direct line while testing it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 09-09-2018 at 08:31 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote