Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-31-2023, 11:46 AM   #1
MJ4H
Coordinator

Definitive Sims for each major sport.

Can we do a thread with what people consider to be the best games for each major sport? I haven't been around this forum in a very long time (hi old people), and I would love to hear what people think are the top games in each category.

I'm thinking a "sim/management" style game (FOFC-style, text or with some basic graphical or representation of the game) and a separate arcade/player or team physically controllable category. Just call it sim and arcade for simplicity sake.

Pro and college versions of American sports could/should be differentiated, too.

My tastes have changed significantly since I was here last and I'm 100% a hockey guy, but I still look at other sports occasionally.

Hockey, Basktetball, (Am.) Football, Soccer (Assoc Football), Baseball, Auto-racing, etc.

I'd submit Franchise Hockey Manager for Hockey.

Nominations:
Baseball: OOTP, The Show
Football: FOF, Madden
College Basketball: CJBL
Hockey: FHM, NHL 2x
Auto-racing: Motorsport Manager, F1

Last edited by MJ4H : 01-31-2023 at 01:05 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:41 PM   #2
Bobble
College Prospect

Out Of The Park for baseball.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:44 PM   #3
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Maximum Football
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:57 PM   #4
weegeebored
High School Varsity

You are going to get differing opinions as the best games in each genre have their pros and cons.

Baseball -- OOTP. I don't feel compelled to buy each version but I'm not sure there is a baseball game that tops it. I don't bother with the "money grab" part of the game (whatever it's called) but it is a fabulous simulator.

Auto Racing -- Motorsport Manager. The vanilla game is fun but the game plays much better with the Fire Fantasy 22 mod (or FF21 if you want don't want the automatic perfect setup part of the mod).

College Basketball -- There is no better sim than CJBL. The downside is it is multiplayer only and therefore includes some of the hassles associated with multiplayer games.

Football -- For a text sim it has to be FOF. I have purchased all but two versions over the years (not 8 or the version before 7. FOF2007?) The sim engine is great but the immersion could feel more like a football GM than an accountant. It's a shame that things didn't work out with OOTP. (For arcade I still play a lot of Madden20. I have been tweaking that game for well over a year trying to get the sim stats and gameplay to seem more realistic. One day I will actually play an entire season. )

I own Eastside Hockey Manager and several incarnations of Draft Day Sports college and pro basketball games. I never really got into EHM but did spend a lot of playtime on the DDS games. I couldn't get older Steam versions to work right with mods so I decided not to purchase the newer versions.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:09 PM   #5
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
You are going to get differing opinions as the best games in each genre have their pros and cons.

Baseball -- OOTP. I don't feel compelled to buy each version but I'm not sure there is a baseball game that tops it. I don't bother with the "money grab" part of the game (whatever it's called) but it is a fabulous simulator.

Auto Racing -- Motorsport Manager. The vanilla game is fun but the game plays much better with the Fire Fantasy 22 mod (or FF21 if you want don't want the automatic perfect setup part of the mod).

College Basketball -- There is no better sim than CJBL. The downside is it is multiplayer only and therefore includes some of the hassles associated with multiplayer games.

Football -- For a text sim it has to be FOF. I have purchased all but two versions over the years (not 8 or the version before 7. FOF2007?) The sim engine is great but the immersion could feel more like a football GM than an accountant. It's a shame that things didn't work out with OOTP. (For arcade I still play a lot of Madden20. I have been tweaking that game for well over a year trying to get the sim stats and gameplay to seem more realistic. One day I will actually play an entire season. )

I own Eastside Hockey Manager and several incarnations of Draft Day Sports college and pro basketball games. I never really got into EHM but did spend a lot of playtime on the DDS games. I couldn't get older Steam versions to work right with mods so I decided not to purchase the newer versions.

Cool, can you provide a link to "CJBL?" I'd like to check into that.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:38 PM   #6
weegeebored
High School Varsity

MJ4H, There is an ongoing discussion here: CJBL thread The game is accessible by invitation only. You could send a PM to skrath for more information.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:42 PM   #7
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Any good Soccer sims?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:45 PM   #8
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

J.B. Magic's Blackjack Simulator
Old 01-31-2023, 04:09 PM   #9
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Draft Day Sports College/Pro Basketball/Football

Of course Football Manager for soccer.
Old 01-31-2023, 04:11 PM   #10
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
J.B. Magic's Blackjack Simulator
I bought this, but it didn't help me win at blackjack. It said I should buy two more...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:12 PM   #11
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

FBCB2010 is still the best single player college hoops game.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:30 PM   #12
PilotMan
Head Coach

If anyone wants a CJBL invite shoot me a PM with your email and I'll pass it along to the commish. He's quick about getting those invites (to Slack, where it all starts) out.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:20 PM   #13
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I still believe Matt Jones deserved a Heisman Welcome back!

INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:35 PM   #14
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
I still believe Matt Jones deserved a Heisman Welcome back!

Well, McFadden did at least. >
Old 01-31-2023, 08:50 PM   #15
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
MJ4H, There is an ongoing discussion here: CJBL thread The game is accessible by invitation only. You could send a PM to skrath for more information.

So basically a multiplayer league tool?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:55 PM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
FBCB2010 is still the best single player college hoops game.

Without question, still playing it 13 years later.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:26 PM   #17
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
A tool? No, it's a web-based text sim. The player is the AD with some head coach duties (not many). The AD has to hire a head coach and assistant, scout and recruit high school players, set offensive and defensive strategies, schedule out-of-conference games, etc. There's also a ranking system and the CJBL equivalent of the NCAA and NIT tournaments. The developer is continuing to improve the sim, and it's free to play.

Last edited by weegeebored : 01-31-2023 at 09:27 PM.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:35 PM   #18
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

A lot of this falls under 'not better or worse, just different' IMO.

I prefer DDSCB for college basketball, but I also understand part of why FBCB is more enjoyable for some people. I don't think one is better than the other - different developer goals/visions, different products, different strokes for different folks, and so forth.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:31 AM   #19
bryce
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Without question, still playing it 13 years later.

Yup, me too
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:58 AM   #20
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
A tool? No, it's a web-based text sim. The player is the AD with some head coach duties (not many). The AD has to hire a head coach and assistant, scout and recruit high school players, set offensive and defensive strategies, schedule out-of-conference games, etc. There's also a ranking system and the CJBL equivalent of the NCAA and NIT tournaments. The developer is continuing to improve the sim, and it's free to play.

But only multiplayer sim.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:05 AM   #21
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Yes, multiplayer only. CJBL has no single player option.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:22 PM   #22
fortheglory
Mascot

Ok here's what I am thinking. I am more into sports management simulations (as I am sure most here are also) so I am mentioning the best SMSG.

Soccer: Football Manager hands down

Baseball: Out of the Park Baseball hands down

Racing: Motorsport Manager

Football: There really feels like there is a void here. I think there are a few that are worth noting that can hopefully grow into something bigger in the future. DDS:Pro Football, DDS:College Football, Football Coach:College Dynasty. I'd like to include FOF here, but I just can't any longer. It is definitely shame OOTPD sold to Com2Us, as I feel the marriage would have happened otherwise. These titles are still a bit raw IMO, but I am hoping there is enough competition, will and drive to move things into the future.

Tennis: Tennis Elbow Manager...I don't know a lot about it, but from the reading I have done this is the better of the big two. (Tennis Manager is the other)

Rugby: Blackout Rugby Manager, National Rugby Manager

Hockey: I know some prefer EHM, but I am going with Franchise Hockey Manager. I think it's slowly become the better of the two. If SI had kept up with development of EHM I don't think this would be a contest, but they haven't.

Basketball: This is another one where I feel there are some really good competing titles for the future. Unlike football titles, I feel there is a lot of very good competition, and also that these titles are a bit more polished than their football counterparts. DDS: Pro Basketball, DDS: College Basketball, Pro Basketball Manager, International Basketball Manager ( this one might be the best hope...it's unlike much of it's competition, it's also available for Mac)

Cricket: Cricket Captain 22

You'll notice many of these are European sports...the truth is...for some reason companies don't think there's much of a market in the U.S. for management type games...but there is in Europe. This means most of the better games are focused on European sports. It's really a big shame the American Football market really hasn't been realized.
fortheglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:30 PM   #23
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

It's only a multiplayer league not a sim. Basically D&D gamemastered version of a college sim run by a gamemaster as a feeder to an online pro league using the same engine. It's really slick and extremely immersive, but it's not a text sim by the definition any of us know and there's no real getting under the hood or tinkering with the engine in the same way as a text sim.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:28 PM   #24
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
It's only a multiplayer league not a sim. Basically D&D gamemastered version of a college sim run by a gamemaster as a feeder to an online pro league using the same engine. It's really slick and extremely immersive, but it's not a text sim by the definition any of us know and there's no real getting under the hood or tinkering with the engine in the same way as a text sim.
That's an odd description. Gamemastered?? And how many text sims let you tinker with the engine? I am not aware of that ability in DDS games or OOTPB. Not sure about games like Football Manager or others. And if you have to tinker too much the sim engine is bad, imo.
Old 02-02-2023, 05:24 AM   #25
MJ4H
Coordinator

I was excited by the CJBL thing, but if the only way to play it is to sign up for a very competitive league that I would be brand new to, I don't think that's going to be for me. Plus, I really only play solo these days. It's cool that it exists though.

I bought what I think was the original FBCB back in the day and really enjoyed it. Think I tried to fire that up recently with no luck, though. Do the 2010 versions of those games (pro/college?) work on modern operating systems?
Old 02-02-2023, 05:45 AM   #26
bryce
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post

I bought what I think was the original FBCB back in the day and really enjoyed it. Think I tried to fire that up recently with no luck, though. Do the 2010 versions of those games (pro/college?) work on modern operating systems?

FBCB 2010 works fine on my machine (that, granted, is four plus years old right now).
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:30 PM   #27
21C
College Prospect

I'm running FBCB on Win11.

It might be working for me because it was built in VB6 and I have VB6 installed on my computer and still dabble in it from time to time. You might need a VB6 runtime file to get it working.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:20 AM   #28
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
I'm running FBCB on Win11.

It might be working for me because it was built in VB6 and I have VB6 installed on my computer and still dabble in it from time to time. You might need a VB6 runtime file to get it working.

I just tried it on my windows 11 laptop and it doesn't even try to run. Nothing happens when I click the executable.

To be clear, I'm talking about FBCB 2003.

Last edited by MJ4H : 02-14-2023 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:20 AM   #29
21C
College Prospect

I had to go digging in my files to find it but I was able to install and run the trial version of FBCB 2003 on my W11 laptop.

I don't know what the answer is to get it working for you but this was the best thing I could find on the Microsoft site. I'm not sure if it is the full runtime files or just a security update - it wasn't 100% clear to me.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=50722
Old 05-24-2023, 02:39 PM   #30
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Wolverine has all their games on sale today for $15. Just curious if anyone has any recommendations from their library on the best sims they produce. I may grab a couple, just curious if any of them stand out from the rest.
Old 05-24-2023, 04:00 PM   #31
QuikSand
lolzcat

Thanks, I bought both Wolverine football games today. Their stuff has never really clicked for me, but worth a shot I reckon.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 03:56 PM   #32
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

In case you missed it and/or only visit the Off-Topic forum, Front Office Football Nine!!! - coming in October!

From the Steam

• Front Office Football Nine was built on an entirely new code base, designed for simulation speed, growth and flexibility. The list of new features is extensive:

• An intuitive interface, redesigned from the moment you enter a new career. The emphasis is on clear, quick navigation to the information you want to see.

• Flexible league sizes and structures. Front Office Football Nine ships with 17 different league configurations, ranging from nine teams to 32. Each configuration has a designated schedule rotation ensuring teams play a fair schedule each season. Franchises can be based in default cities or randomly assigned when you start a new universe.

• Calendar-based actions. Each year has a month/day calendar, with important dates highlighted. A Team Management screen is always available, with links and descriptions of everything you can do for your team on that day. You can simulate to any date on the calendar (up to 10,000 days at a time).

• Play-Calling Interface. A brand new full-screen play-calling interface allows you to call your team's plays during a game, make substitutions, view updated individual and team statistics.

• Historical Quarterbacks. With any league, you have the option of including a selection of starting quarterbacks from the past. These quarterbacks are rated in far more detail than in a player file.

• The "Video" Podcast. Each week, the league puts together an overview of all the games played, highlighting the most important plays.

• Comprehensive weather system. Every day, the weather is calculated for each of the metropolitan areas modeled in the game. Each metropolitan area has a climate. You can "see" storm fronts move across countries.

• Foreign franchises. Front Office Football models 1,171 metropolitan areas in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. Cities in 322 of these areas can host franchises.

• Compensation Picks. Each season, teams will receive compensatory draft picks for free agents they lost the previous year.

• Team and League Overview screens. Among nearly 200 screens in Front Office Football Nine are the new Team Overview and League Overview screens, which act as front pages for your universe.

• Fan Allegiance. Each franchise has a fan base, based on the television markets defined in major metropolitan areas. Teams can improve their following by winning games and championships. Teams with a bigger fan base have a more valuable brand and earn more money each season.

• Expanded Almanac. The Almanac contains leaderboards, award lists, sections for each franchise and for each season. It's a comprehensive and greatly expanded history of your universe.

• Player Index. A searchable record of every player who has been drafted and/or has played in a game in your universe.

• Milestones. A list of the greatest individual performances, plus season and career thresholds, tracked by date.

• Game Books. An all-inclusive record of each game played during your universe, including a Game Flow that constantly tracks the likelihood a team wins a game and marks the most important plays of the game.

• Game Recaps. For any game played in your universe, you can enter the recap and see all the play diagrams and updated statistics.

• Modern New Statistics. For quarterbacks and receivers, the game tracks air yards and yards after catch. Learn who is really testing the defense. See how quarterbacks fare against the blitz. Learn which running backs have the highest percentage of successful runs.

• Player Finances. Learn which players have the highest career earnings and sell the most jerseys. Players who are both stars on the field and popular with the fans sell more jerseys, which means more team revenue.

• Injury Models. Players are rated for and can develop increase susceptibility to injuries in several areas of the body.

• Revamped Chemistry. Chemistry is now defined only between quarterbacks and wide receivers. It's possible your new free agent star wideout simply doesn't work well with your quarterback.

• Fifth-Year Contracts. Three years after the amateur draft, you'll have the opportunity to extend the contracts of players you drafted in the first round for a guaranteed fifth year.

• New Defensive Play-Calling System. A more intuitive and expansive defensive play system based on setting up one of 16 pass coverages along with double-team, spy, blitzing choices.

• Those are only the highlights of all the new features in Front Office Football Nine. Thanks for considering the game.

Last edited by INDalltheway : 10-08-2023 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2023, 05:23 PM   #33
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I want you to put the word out we back up.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 09:32 PM   #34
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wow!!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 09:46 PM   #35
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I did miss it. Cool to see!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 07:24 AM   #36
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Can we get someone to sticky this important piece of info on the board? I can tell you that I don't go on the actual game section very often due to there not being any action there for some time. I'm sure there are others who should know about this and don't.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 08:14 AM   #37
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, I mentioned on my Facebook this, and several FOFCers were like "Wait, what?" I put a request into the mods to put "FOF 9 Announced) in the title for this thread
Old 10-09-2023, 11:57 AM   #38
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Wait, this is a forum for a football computer game?

I thought FOF stood for Fat Old Fucks.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 12:31 PM   #39
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post

It has long had a dual meaning.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 12:44 PM   #40
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post

That's the name of the other website I frequent.
Old 10-09-2023, 01:04 PM   #41
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I agree with OOTP for baseball.

As far as being a fan, I am by far more of a college football fan than I am of any other sport. It's disappointing that there hasn't been a superior college football sim release in many years. I'm not bashing DDS College Football. It's decent, but has a few too many deficiencies for my liking.

I've often thought if someone could take the best aspects of Solecismic Software's "The College Years" (TCY) along with the best aspects of Greydog Software's "Bowl Bound College Football" (BBCF), and bring it up to the modern college game, it would be a near perfect college football sim.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 10-09-2023 at 01:07 PM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 01:18 PM   #42
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
I agree with OOTP for baseball.

As far as being a fan, I am by far more of a college football fan than I am of any other sport. It's disappointing that there hasn't been a superior college football sim release in many years. I'm not bashing DDS College Football. It's decent, but has a few too many deficiencies for my liking.

I've often thought if someone could take the best aspects of Solecismic Software's "The College Years" (TCY) along with the best aspects of Greydog Software's "Bowl Bound College Football" (BBCF), and bring it up to the modern college game, it would be a near perfect college football sim.

I'm much the same. I eventually go back to TCY even when there are superior games such as Football Manager around. The old conferences don't really bother me and I've never had an issue with the GUI (other than logos would be nice). I'd just like updated base offensive formations and the importance of academics to be neutered a bit. Of course there are other things, but those are the two big ones.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 09:52 AM   #43
Umbrella
High School Varsity

For cycling, I would say Pro Cycling Manager. I got this on a sale, and going in, I knew nothing about cycling, other than there's a race called Tour de France. And yet, I've had a blast with this game, and learned more about cycling than I ever thought I would want to know. I would recommend getting real world mods for this, which are easy to find.

For horse racing, I would say Starters Orders is the best, but it's not ideal. I'm always on the lookout for a better version that simulates claiming races well, as well as a good breeding simulation.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 07:40 PM   #44
MJ4H
Coordinator

I've put a lot of time into Franchise Hockey Manager and Eastside Hockey Manager now, and I can confidently say EHM is the better game.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:45 PM   #45
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I've put a lot of time into Franchise Hockey Manager and Eastside Hockey Manager now, and I can confidently say EHM is the better game.

Really? That may have been the case several years ago, but FHM has improved every year, while EHM has stayed still because of no revisions.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote