Exceeded my expectations 65 62.50%
Generally met my expectations 26 25.00%
Eh, somewhat disappointed 7 6.73%
Trout 6 5.77%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #101
mckerney
Coordinator

Yeah, with Steam it installs as it downloads. When it is released you'll need to wait for it to decrypt, download the day one patch (though hopefully that will go online before release) and then you might have to wait for some direct x or other drivers to install before you play.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #102
Thomkal
Head Coach

Okay so I caved. The various previews I've seen are intriguing enough for me to give it a try. Besides my birthday is Monday and I needed to give myself a present. I'm probably going some kind of mage/archer to try keep everything from getting into hand to hand range since I struggled with the combat in Morrowind.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #103
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm excited just to read the IGN review tomorrow.
MizzouRah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:33 AM   #104
Peregrine
Pro Starter

The funny thing about this game is that I knew I would immediately buy it no matter what, so I haven't really been following the changes from the previous versions. So when I just read an article about the perk trees, shout system, dual handing spells, etc, well - my mind exploded.

Graclll-dmogy-wejeasd-qashdr Friday....
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #105
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Some reviews are out:

Gametrailers video review

IGN video review

Gamespot

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #106
Peregrine
Pro Starter

IGN's gameplay commentary was really cool - to get an idea of how everything looks in gameplay.

Skyrim PC Version Gameplay Commentary Video - PC - IGN
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #107
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I downloaded mine from D2D, but when it tried to "install" within Steam, I got an error saying it can't install because the game has not been released yet. So when you did your preload, did you get further in the process than that? If so, I may click the Preload button inside Steam tonight.

I did go ahead and click the Preload button on Steam last night. The bad news is it downloaded the entire game again (~5GB), but my game status now says Preloaded. I can't wait for tomorrow morning - a quick decryption and patch, and goodbye weekend!

Last edited by tyketime : 11-10-2011 at 09:25 AM.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #108
TroyF
Coordinator

12 est tonight, right?

If that's the case, I'll get a couple of hours into it tonight before bed.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #109
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
12 est tonight, right?

If that's the case, I'll get a couple of hours into it tonight before bed.

I haven't checked in past two days, but it seemed to me like it was closer to 4am EST. But I hope you are right!

EDIT: Couldn't wait, so checked from work. Currently 10:30ish am EST, and screen says it will unlock in approximately 14 hours. So... that makes it close to midnight EST. Awesome!

Last edited by tyketime : 11-10-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #110
Izulde
Head Coach

Just got the text from Gamestop to be there at 10 pm to finalize payment even though I already paid for it.

Should probably show up a couple hours early anyway, as the BF3 midnight release was surprisingly packed when I went by my location.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #111
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Just got the text from Gamestop to be there at 10 pm to finalize payment even though I already paid for it.

Should probably show up a couple hours early anyway, as the BF3 midnight release was surprisingly packed when I went by my location.

I haven't picked up the latest COD, but for Black Ops midnight release, Gamestop had three lines. First was to finalize payment. You got a different receipt at that point. Those people then filed into Line #2 to wait until midnight. Finally, Line #3 were for those who had not preordered, and were hoping extra copies would be available.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #112
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I've watched the reviews, and it does indeed look like an incredible game. IGN rates it as the "best RPG ever made." Sadly, it still not one I would play. The combat system is not one I can work. If they had an "auto-attack" option, or something like that, fine. But I can't do the button mashing, move with keyboard thing. It kills me, because it really does look fantastic. They said the PC version looks much better than the console versions.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #113
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I've watched the reviews, and it does indeed look like an incredible game. IGN rates it as the "best RPG ever made." Sadly, it still not one I would play. The combat system is not one I can work. If they had an "auto-attack" option, or something like that, fine. But I can't do the button mashing, move with keyboard thing. It kills me, because it really does look fantastic. They said the PC version looks much better than the console versions.

Grant this has been my reason for not getting more involved in the Elder Scrolls games as I mentioned earlier in the thread-I think it may be a bit easier to handle this time around though. I'll let you know when I get into the game. I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of defenseless trees and rocks very unhappy with me that I used them as a testing ground.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #114
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Grant this has been my reason for not getting more involved in the Elder Scrolls games as I mentioned earlier in the thread-I think it may be a bit easier to handle this time around though. I'll let you know when I get into the game. I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of defenseless trees and rocks very unhappy with me that I used them as a testing ground.

Please do. I look forward to your report.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #115
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ugh. Expensive gaming month this.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #116
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone have a link to a PC Can I Run This tool for Skyrim?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #117
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Ugh. Expensive gaming month this.

No kidding!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #118
mckerney
Coordinator

Wot I Think – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Quote:
Every time Bethesda reveal a new game, one of the first queries they have to deal with is how big its world is compared to previous games, with the general onlooker sentiment being that their open worlds are shrinking with every new generation. I can promise you that Skyrim is an enormous game, perhaps Bethesda’s biggest yet in my perception of it, and that isn’t anything to do with landmass (of which there is a vast and wonderfully varied amount). It’s because there’s so damned much to do. Hours fly by, great adventures are embarked on, and it barely dents what’s on offer. The thieves’ guild questline alone, the closest thing my time with the game had to a fixed purpose, offers more than do most other big-budget games’ singleplayer modes.

And it’s good stuff too, this thievery corporations’ tasks: long, ambitious, twisty quests that take you all over Skyrim, require lateral thinking and exploration of the outer limits of stealth, plus offer bona fide drama and intrigue whose outcome I was invested in for reasons beyond money and power. I’ve only made early inroads into the Companions arc and that seems similarly huge – add in the other guilds and factions, and the reputation quests offered by each city’s rulers, and the purportedly infinite roster of procedurally-generated favours for random NPCs, and you have something of grand magnitude, and an RPG that no sane person would consider writing a review based on a mere four days’ play. Sigh. Still- expect follow-up pieces, particularly on the main, dragon-y questline that I’ve seen nothing of, so happy was I in doing my own, primarily kleptomania-based thing.

Maybe I’ll do all that next time. First though, I really fancy a nice set of Glass Armour, so time to explore a few caves for ore to mine then spend some good, honest hours at the forge. I may be some time. I may be the rest of the year, and beyond. Not only is Skyrim, for my money, the game of the year, but… oh this is hard. Very hard. I’m sorry Morrowind – I love you, but I don’t need you anymore. I think, at last, there is a new Best Elder Scrolls Ever.

Last edited by mckerney : 11-10-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #119
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Anyone have a link to a PC Can I Run This tool for Skyrim?

Good idea. I need to verify that myself tonight (although I assume I can, I want to see where I stack up to its requirements graphically).

System Requirements Lab

it's listed under T for "The Elder Scrolls" by the way - that threw me

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-10-2011 at 12:41 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #120
Thomkal
Head Coach

PC Gamer Review:

Skyrim PC review
Old 11-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #121
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Good idea. I need to verify that myself tonight (although I assume I can, I want to see where I stack up to its requirements graphically).

System Requirements Lab

Sweet! My almost 3 year old laptop can run this.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #122
Thomkal
Head Coach

There's been a couple small patches this morning on Steam-I saw one which was very small, so you might get Steam going just to get up to date.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #123
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've been watching that live feed.. can't wait to get into this tomorrow.
MizzouRah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #124
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

The Giantbomb one, Mizzou?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #125
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

So I've read a couple reviews that mention the controls for the PC are awkward (my term). I went with PC version because of better graphics and ultimately the mod community. Just read that the XBOX community will also get a 30-day head-start on the first 2 DLC's, and that the interface is "better". Any reason I should be concerned? Are most of you getting the PC version?
Old 11-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #126
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

The major concerns right now I'm reading from people who are playing because they used a VPN are that the keyboard/mouse is pretty weak, mainly in the menus. A lot of the menus you can't even use your mouse. Which is absurd.

This can be fixed, or at least it can be from the mod community I am sure, but out of the box that is ridiculous.

edit: I still think in the long run, due to the modding communities ability to fix the menus and enhance the graphics through texture packs, the PC is the way to go. Just disappointing that something so simple can be so stupidly implemented. Worst case, the way my system is set up, I'll just plug my PC into my big screen and use a controller and get the best of both worlds (PC on high settings, and a interface obviously set up for a game controller)

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 11-10-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #127
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

System Requirements Lab

Thanks. I was having a hard time finding it. Sometimes Google is unbearable to search.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #128
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
The major concerns right now I'm reading from people who are playing because they used a VPN are that the keyboard/mouse is pretty weak, mainly in the menus. A lot of the menus you can't even use your mouse. Which is absurd.

This can be fixed, or at least it can be from the mod community I am sure, but out of the box that is ridiculous.

edit: I still think in the long run, due to the modding communities ability to fix the menus and enhance the graphics through texture packs, the PC is the way to go. Just disappointing that something so simple can be so stupidly implemented. Worst case, the way my system is set up, I'll just plug my PC into my big screen and use a controller and get the best of both worlds (PC on high settings, and a interface obviously set up for a game controller)

Ah, so it they didn't even bother doing a PC UI if you can't use the mouse in some menus. Hopefully Bethesda fixes it and we don't need to wait for mods, no reason there should be console style controls for menus and inventory when doing it mouse based is so much easier. It also wouldn't surprise me if they didn't both making the text smaller for PC than console like with the last couple Fallout games.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #129
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Ah, so it they didn't even bother doing a PC UI if you can't use the mouse in some menus. Hopefully Bethesda fixes it and we don't need to wait for mods, no reason there should be console style controls for menus and inventory when doing it mouse based is so much easier. It also wouldn't surprise me if they didn't both making the text smaller for PC than console like with the last couple Fallout games.

If Bethesda doesn't fix it, I'm sure DaRN's UI mod will. That's not insider knowledge, I just can't imagine an Elder Scrolls game without a DaRNified interface.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #130
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Pumped for this. Been intentionally avoiding a lot of coverage since i've had it pre-ordered since June.

Only felt so-so about Oblivion, but i only played that after Fallout 3 (which is probably my favorite game of all time). It seems like they've made a lot of sensible interface and upgrade changes though based on Fallout. I did find Oblivion needlessly complicated when it came to leveling.

I am pretty sure i'm going to end up loving this game. Even if i think it's 'OK' im sure i'll get a ton of playtime out of it.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 11-10-2011 at 05:48 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #131
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Got my shipping notification....will be here tomorrow...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #132
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm honestly scared to death that the changes - specifically the ones to dual-hand weaponry - are going to be too much for my poor button mashing skills.

I grew to be pretty comfortable with the pause-menu-change-resume sequence of combat, and since I'm not very good a shield was pretty much mandatory, so right-hand wielding only was plenty for me.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #133
frnk55
High School Varsity

Going to be a long day tomorrow at work. Feel like a kid at Christmas.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #134
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I'm still trying to get Reilly's dumb guys off the dumb hotel roof and find the dumb kid in greyditch a place to live AND find the dumb sewers to kill more dumb molerats.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #135
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

All pre-loaded... just have to wait 2 hours now.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #136
Thomkal
Head Coach

One potential warning here from reading the forums over at Bethesda-it's probably best not to change your keybindings from the default yet-several people are reporting that the menus do not update to reflect the changes-the menu will continue to say to hit the default key to do something rather than the key you changed it too. Appears there's a fix for it in the next patch-unclear if its any patch we might get tonight when the game unlocks

Edit: This is for the PC version

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-10-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #137
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I'm still trying to get Reilly's dumb guys off the dumb hotel roof and find the dumb kid in greyditch a place to live AND find the dumb sewers to kill more dumb molerats.

Reilly's Rangers were a pain in the ass. Definitely not cut out to be Rockin' Rangers of the Junior Jimmy Brigade.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #138
Thomkal
Head Coach

Steam says we can play now
Old 11-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #139
sabotai
General Manager

Decrypting now.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #140
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Mine doesn't yet... restarting...

EDIT: YES! Restart worked... decrypting now

Last edited by tyketime : 11-10-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #141
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

decrypting is pretty slow.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #142
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

While waiting for midnight, I saw this. Looks like $27 online (ouch!). I wonder since it is digital if they will keep it "up-to-date"...

Quote:
Work began on the official guide in early May, when I commenced an overwhelming trek into every frigid corner of Skyrim. Initially, I was thinking this would be a similar experience to my work on the Fallout 3 guide. But then phrases like “even more epic” and “five times the size” were whispered to me. More than five months, close to 2,000 man-hours of work (between myself and co-author Steve Stratton), several thousand cups of tea and packets of Monster Munch later, and with a massive support structure from both Bethesda and Prima, the guide is complete.

This weighty tome clocks in at 656 pages. It is around 550,000 words. It has over 150 maps and well over 1,000 screenshots. It has an interactive online version with a malleable world map (and an iPad map app). But more importantly, it’s been designed to fundamentally aid the adventurer no matter what their skill level, knowledge of the series, or familiarity with past Bethesda titles.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #143
Thomkal
Head Coach

yeah stuck on 35% for a couple mins, now moving quickly and downloaded
Old 11-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #144
Thomkal
Head Coach

now downloading a directx file :::sigh:::
Old 11-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #145
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Preparing to launch now!
Old 11-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #146
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
now downloading a directx file :::sigh:::
I thought I read something about a Day 1 patch as well...
Old 11-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #147
Thomkal
Head Coach

and after the game detects my video settings for Ultra High, I'm in. See ya
Old 11-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #148
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I thought I read something about a Day 1 patch as well...

There were two small patches over Steam this morning, not sure if that's what you are talking about or not.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #149
Izulde
Head Coach

This is the first time I've ever hated living in PST.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #150
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
This is the first time I've ever hated living in PST.

It might be unlocked on steam for you if you have steam...

My game is unlocked around 11PM CST. I think I heard rumors earlier the unlock time was going to be 12:01AM EST so... might as well check it out.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 11-10-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote