Eh, somewhat disappointed 7 6.73%
Trout 6 5.77%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #201
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Ok, now let me ask this. I actually hate hate hate playing in the fps perspective. Anyone playing in 3rd person view? What is that like?

BTW, I bought it like a sucker. Downloading it now, but may wait till I get the controller later today to start it.
When I'm in tight quarters, I do switch to first person perspective. When I'm out in the real world, I go for the 3rd person view.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #202
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Ok, now let me ask this. I actually hate hate hate playing in the fps perspective. Anyone playing in 3rd person view? What is that like?

BTW, I bought it like a sucker. Downloading it now, but may wait till I get the controller later today to start it.

Welcome to the cult.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #203
mckerney
Coordinator

For anyone who wants to play in full on hoarder mode, you can up your carry weight limit with this console command.

player.modav carryweight 9999
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #204
mckerney
Coordinator

Getting Skyrim Skytrim | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Changing FOV
My Documents -> My Games -> Skyrim -> skyrim
Create a backup of skyrim.ini
In Skyrim.ini add “fdefaultfov=xx”
Or from the console you can use the command "fov xx", better for testing the value you want, not 100% sure it saves after you exit though.

Also, graphics change from the RPS article.

Quote:
Something you’ll also want to tweak if you have a reasonably meaty PC is self-shadowing, which means tall trees and the like cast shadows upon themselves – it adds rather a lot to outdoor scenes, making for a more integrated looking world. For this, you’ll want to edit SkyrimPrefs.ini: changing the 0s to 1s for Change bTreesReceiveShadows=0 and Change bDrawLandShadows=0.

Last edited by mckerney : 11-11-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #205
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Now I'm really wavering on PC vs. PS3 version. I don't want to overheat my PC or anything...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #206
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

I got Skyrim...Now i'm nervous about opening it and finding out either A)it doesnt work or B) it will be cheaper next week.....sigh

That and finding out im in SWTOR beta and in another beta this weekend is making my brain reach critical mass.......
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #207
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

By looking at the readme.txt file, it indicated I could just plug in my xbox controller and it would work. I guess I'm late to the party because I didn't know that. My son just bought a new xbox wired controller. I plugged it into the USB Drive, and Skyrim automatically detected it. All buttons now correspond to xbox controller. So far (~ 10 minutes), I much prefer the controller. Could just be me getting used to mouse & keyboard, but since I have a choice, maybe I will end up with best of both - PC game version and xbox controller.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #208
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
I got Skyrim...Now i'm nervous about opening it and finding out either A)it doesnt work or B) it will be cheaper next week.....sigh

That and finding out im in SWTOR beta and in another beta this weekend is making my brain reach critical mass.......
I watched the pre-order prices, and there was very little savings to be found. I don't suspect you'll find it cheaper before Holiday deals start to kick in...
Old 11-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #209
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Oh snap... Dragon 1, tyketime 0
Old 11-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #210
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dragons? Ain't no thang.

Giants? *whimper*
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #211
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I can't stop playing. I'll play for awhile then decide I'll quit, and an hour later I have to play again

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 11-11-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #212
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Now I'm really wavering on PC vs. PS3 version. I don't want to overheat my PC or anything...

Then you've answered your own question.

Or dowhat I do and point a big fan at your computer.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #213
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Dragons? Ain't no thang.

Giants? *whimper*

Agreed.

First time I made the mistake of running into a group of giants, I was looking around and they seemed to ignore me so I was like, okay, cool.

Then one of 'em took a swing at me and damn, he must have swatted me a mile down the road.

I just sat there like "WTF just happened?" Luckily they don't seem very interested in you as long as you don't stay near them too long.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #214
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I creep around blasting people with the arrow. I was really far away and saw a figure in the distance. Figured I'd go for a long range kill. Well, turns out it was a Giant. Next thing I know I am flung fifty feet in the air.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #215
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I creep around blasting people with the arrow. I was really far away and saw a figure in the distance. Figured I'd go for a long range kill. Well, turns out it was a Giant. Next thing I know I am flung fifty feet in the air.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #216
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Question folks - someone like me who hasn't played a lot of RPG's (but tends towards playing Bioware offerings - ie KOTOR may be my favorite game of all time, but loved KOTOR 2, enjoyed Dragon Age, was bleh at Dragon Age 2,) is this more old-school RPG-esque where your ratings / numbers actually matter, or is it the "action-RPG" type? Is there any sane reason for me not to get this given the other games I've enjoyed?

Last edited by Crapshoot : 11-11-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #217
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

No there is not. Get it. You will love it.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #218
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Ok, got an xbox controller (and boy am I glad), and playing. All I can say right now is "wow." Still have no idea what I am doing, and I know I am going to horrible at combat. But, wow.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-11-2011 at 08:07 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #219
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Have there been reports of it overheating peoples PCs? I'm playing on a two year old laptop on high settings and it hasn't been runing hot.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #220
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Good gawd. Anybody else spend about 2 hours too long creeping around the Embershard Mine on the way to Riverwood right after the game starts? Hope it's okay to go at my own pace in that regard.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #221
mckerney
Coordinator

I've spent most of my time so far exploring in and around the river, love that there's stuff to find underwater, and that some fish have eaten expensive gems.

I also really like the treasure maps. Found one on a bandit and was able to follow it to some nice loot. It's great that they're not so simple that it just adds a location to your map, but also not too obscure that you have little chance of finding it.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #222
TroyF
Coordinator

Exactly what I thought this would be. I'm having a blast.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #223
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Just joined the Dark Brotherhood. Feels really good.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:35 AM   #224
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
Good gawd. Anybody else spend about 2 hours too long creeping around the Embershard Mine on the way to Riverwood right after the game starts? Hope it's okay to go at my own pace in that regard.

I was similarly tempted but managed to force myself to bypass it so early in the game ... but based on experiences with Oblivion and the last two Fallout games, I can't imagine it does you any harm.

That location is so obvious so early that I suspect it was almost planted there to provide exactly that sort of opportunity for those who were inclined to take it.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #225
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post

I actually skipped it as I was trying to find the first NPC town, and the quests I've done since have just carried me right along. I keep meaning to go back.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:56 AM   #226
Izulde
Head Coach

The fun factor for this game just in the first day I've been playing is already 10000000x better than Oblivion or Morrowind. In fact, the last time I enjoyed a game this much was probably the first Dragon Age.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:59 AM   #227
mckerney
Coordinator

I've probably spent too much time catching animals, but I really think my bee business is close to taking off.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #228
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Have there been reports of it overheating peoples PCs? I'm playing on a two year old laptop on high settings and it hasn't been runing hot.

Not that I'm aware of.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:18 AM   #229
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
I've probably spent too much time catching animals, but I really think my bee business is close to taking off.

you mean there's more to this game than catching butterflies?

i don't think i really want to play an RPG but just want a good BPG (Botanist Playing Game)
Old 11-12-2011, 03:38 AM   #230
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

Mckerney, the bee whisperer.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:03 AM   #231
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yeah this game is so great, there's so much to do and the game is so gorgeous, I just love it. I knew you can catch bees, but can you really start a business?

Also, one amusing moment was in Embershard Mine - I didn't end up finding it until after I had done the Golden Claw mission, and had a funny moment - I was killing some bandits in there and there was a bandit archer taking potshots at me from a little bridge over the river. After I killed the melee guys I charged him - I don't know if it was a bug or a legitimate accident, but when I was charging him he turned to run across the bridge, then disappeared over the side, I heard a scream, and by the time I got there I saw his dead body on some rocks.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:06 AM   #232
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yeah this game is so great, there's so much to do and the game is so gorgeous, I just love it. I knew you can catch bees, but can you really start a business?

Also, one amusing moment was in Embershard Mine - I didn't end up finding it until after I had done the Golden Claw mission, and had a funny moment - I was killing some bandits in there and there was a bandit archer taking potshots at me from a little bridge over the river. After I killed the melee guys I charged him - I don't know if it was a bug or a legitimate accident, but when I was charging him he turned to run across the bridge, then disappeared over the side, I heard a scream, and by the time I got there I saw his dead body on some rocks.

LOL! That is epic!

Mustn't run on mountains! Taint safe!

I'm wondering if this game will ever go on sale this holiday season. It's not like it NEEDS to. I'm wondering about Black Friday.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:24 AM   #233
RainMaker
General Manager

If I didn't play Oblivion or others, would I still be able to get into this? Or should I go back and play some other games first?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:25 AM   #234
Peregrine
Pro Starter

No, forget Oblivion - this is better anyway, and they have really streamlined the character system so it's easy to just go in and start playing.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:37 AM   #235
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Yeah none of their games have anything to do with each other storywise. They're just the same basic gameplay/concept/genre. The gameplay just gets better with each successive game so starting with skyrim will give you the most pleasure.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #236
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Has anyone figured out a way to have the game show you what diseases you have? I've gotten diseased and drank a few cure potions, but everyone keeps telling me I look sick.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 11-12-2011, 06:40 AM   #237
SackAttack
Head Coach

Has anybody else found the book with the history of the Oblivion Crisis?
Old 11-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #238
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Has anyone figured out a way to have the game show you what diseases you have? I've gotten diseased and drank a few cure potions, but everyone keeps telling me I look sick.

Try getting some sleep with the character and see what they say then?
Old 11-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #239
Thomkal
Head Coach

A couple links from PC Gamer-one on the number of concurrent Steam users playing Skyrim and another on some tweaks:

Skyrim reaches nearly 250,000 concurrent Steam users on day one, topples MW3 | PC Gamer

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim tweaks improve graphics, disable Vsync, change FOV and more | PC Gamer

I have found a character type I can be somewhat comfortable with in combat-a dual casting mage, so have made my way into the Golden Claw quest-where I am now stuck. I find myself at an apparent dead end in a large cavern with a waterfall running down one side, into a small stream of water that runs through an iron gate-I open the gate and there's a small tunnel, but no apparant way of going forward from there-anyone have a clue where I should go from here? (you can put it in spoilers if you want)

And I somehow missed the Embershard Mine-I was following the NPC down the road to Riverwood and paying attention to what he was saying rather than looking around too much.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #240
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

This may be a stupid question but here goes.....

I'm more of a Civ, Portal, FM kinda guy. Would I like this game? I do play D&D every other Friday, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Also, PC or PS3 version?

Thanks!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #241
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
And I somehow missed the Embershard Mine-I was following the NPC down the road to Riverwood and paying attention to what he was saying rather than looking around too much.
Apparently I missed this as well. But that's part of what I already love about the game. Not a game on rails where you're guided from one thing to the next.

Quote:
I find myself at an apparent dead end in a large cavern with a waterfall running down one side, into a small stream of water that runs through an iron gate-I open the gate and there's a small tunnel, but no apparant way of going forward from there-anyone have a clue where I should go from here? (you can put it in spoilers if you want)
Spoiler
Old 11-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #242
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm really amazed by the variety of locations you can adventure in in this game - they seem to have really taken the criticism of Oblivion as too generic and repetitive to heart. For me there is a real immersiveness in this game - of course they had the advantage that Skyrim has crazy mountains and rivers, and a bunch of Nordic vikings, unlike the Imperial beauracrats of the last game.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #243
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
This may be a stupid question but here goes.....

I'm more of a Civ, Portal, FM kinda guy. Would I like this game? I do play D&D every other Friday, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Also, PC or PS3 version?

Thanks!

I would say you would like it if you like D&D going in knowing the game world with these games is always enormous and totally open with tons to do so you may or may not like that. I love that aspect as most. I would say definitely PC IF you have a 1GB or greater graphics card and a i7 processor prefefably the quad processor but the duo cores are ok it seems. I have been running it on a HP laptop I bought 3 years ago and it runs ok but does get real hot after 3-4 hours so I am even considering if I really like this of picking up a PS 3on black friday for this and a few other games that aren't on PC.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #244
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Gungung gulunga!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #245
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

In the magic menu, check your active effects.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #246
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Go to the Magic screen where your spells are. Under the spell types like Conjuration and Destruction there's something like Current Statuses. I think when I had a disease it was shown as penalty to attacks and disease was shown by highlighting it.

Spoiler on diseases...
Spoiler
Old 11-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #247
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

does anyone know how to start a new game without sitting through the opening movie?
Old 11-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #248
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
does anyone know how to start a new game without sitting through the opening movie?

Quick Start at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim Mods and community
Old 11-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #249
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
A
I have found a character type I can be somewhat comfortable with in combat-a dual casting mage, so have made my way into the Golden Claw quest-where I am now stuck. I find myself at an apparent dead end in a large cavern with a waterfall running down one side, into a small stream of water that runs through an iron gate-I open the gate and there's a small tunnel, but no apparant way of going forward from there-anyone have a clue where I should go from here? (you can put it in spoilers if you want)

If you're where I think you are, you're at the top of the waterfall and there's like a land bridge at the bottom with a draugh patrolling it?

(Yeah, I died three different ways trying to jump off the waterfall.)

There's a tunnel down to the bridge off to your right. Hard to see until you know it's there.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #250
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
A couple links from PC Gamer-one on the number of concurrent Steam users playing Skyrim and another on some tweaks:

Skyrim reaches nearly 250,000 concurrent Steam users on day one, topples MW3 | PC Gamer

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim tweaks improve graphics, disable Vsync, change FOV and more | PC Gamer

If I remember correctly, somewhere around the gate is a lever to open it. I don't recall there being a puzzle to solve for it. It might be a handcuff looking mechanism. I just remember it was in a dark area so I finally had to use my torch to find it.