Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Disney's new streaming service

I'm sure y'all have heard of this already:

Disney will shun Netflix for its own streaming service in 2019

Disney is leaving Netflix to do it's own streaming service in 2019. ESPN will have their own streaming service as well starting in 2018.

Well this is finally a la carte, right? What everyone wanted? But I guess it turns out that not everyone wants that. People are a bit distressed that there are scores and scores of streaming services that they have to decide upon and want one central hub (like... cable?!). And of course, as predicted, a la carte just makes things more expensive as every channel/service provider wants to make the same amounts they would through cable carriage fees.

So a brave new future? Or wistfully wanting the days of cable TV to be ascendant again?

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
cuervo72
Head Coach

Almost would rather give and just buy DVDs (sorry, digamma). I am an atypical viewer and was searching for classic TV on Netflix only to find that they have a total of five shows made before 1970. One I'm not sure is really a show ("Pioneers of African-American Cinema") and Twilight Zone is missing one of its seasons. So I did some searching and found an article on why barely anything pre-millenial is available for streaming.

In the end, I guess I really don't care. TV can screw, I'll just play video games or do other things with Guy's Grocery Games on in the background. Really should ditch DirecTV at some point when it's no longer a deal to have it bundled with our mobile service.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 08-09-2017 at 01:53 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

It sucks, but Disney is one of the few I could see this actually working. I am childless, so I have no plans to purchase this, but for my cord cutting brother and his family it seems like a no-brainer. I mean, sure, they would prefer to just continue using Netflix to entertain their daughter in the morning like they currently do, but I am sure they will hop on board as soon as the Disney stuff disappears from Netflix. Disneys catalog is just huge
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
ColtCrazy
College Starter

So I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. Would love to see ESPN do live streaming sports because it's the one thing I do miss (other than I can watch NFL games on my phone with Verizon). Disney would be a big bonus too. So it would work out to maybe $45-50 a month for the 4? That's still 20 cheaper than the package that would allow me to get what I want through Directv or cable. I just don't need the extra fluff.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
spleen1015
Coordinator

It will still be better than cable because they're not going to raise the price on you like the do with cable for no reason.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Iirc the Disney Channel was a pay service back in the 80s like HBO. So it's kind of a return to their roots.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #7
Groundhog
Coordinator

I get the business decision to do this, but for me services like Netflix and Spotify hit the convenience/cost sweet spot. I'm not going to sign up for a Disney-only service, even with a kid on the way, and all I see it doing is encourage more people to pirate Disney media.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:15 PM   #8
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
It will still be better than cable because they're not going to raise the price on you like the do with cable for no reason.

No, they'll split it into two different services. Then each of those services will splinter. THEN they'll raise the price.

Actually, in all seriousness, it's Disney. Does anyone actually think they won't be instituting some version of the Vault to keep people subscribed? "Oh, sorry, Cinderellaisn't available for the next three months. But here's Follow Me, Boys!"
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:26 PM   #9
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
No, they'll split it into two different services. Then each of those services will splinter. THEN they'll raise the price.

Actually, in all seriousness, it's Disney. Does anyone actually think they won't be instituting some version of the Vault to keep people subscribed? "Oh, sorry, Cinderellaisn't available for the next three months. But here's Follow Me, Boys!"

+1
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #10
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

The main way to discourage piracy is easy and affordable streaming services. Too many streaming services (even if easily accessible) will drive up the cost for consumers resulting in a return to piracy. I don't think people will really support more than 2-3 monthly subscriptions. That means people will either rotate what they subscribe to or alternatively pirate the content they want from the content providers that they choose not to subscribe to.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #11
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
No, they'll split it into two different services. Then each of those services will splinter. THEN they'll raise the price.[/i]"

Rumour has it that in addition to individual Disney and ESPN services, they are also considering dedicated Marvel and Star Wars streaming services. So four different subscriptions if you want access to all of the content.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:34 PM   #12
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
The main way to discourage piracy is easy and affordable streaming services. Too many streaming services (even if easily accessible) will drive up the cost for consumers resulting in a return to piracy. I don't think people will really support more than 2-3 monthly subscriptions. That means people will either rotate what they subscribe to or alternatively pirate the content they want from the content providers that they choose not to subscribe to.

Exhibit A:

http://fortune.com/2017/07/21/game-o...miere-pirated/

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 08-09-2017 at 08:34 PM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #13
Groundhog
Coordinator

Cable TV has about 30% take-up in Australia, and it's also the only place to legally watch GoT, hence the insane piracy rates for each episode down here (me included).
Old 08-10-2017, 07:26 AM   #14
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Rumour has it that in addition to individual Disney and ESPN services, they are also considering dedicated Marvel and Star Wars streaming services. So four different subscriptions if you want access to all of the content.

Disney is great at getting into your wallet.

Let's see. I have the Star Wars movies on DVD/Blu-ray, so no worries there. Marvel movies I see once and that's enough.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:24 AM   #15
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Someone has pointed out that the next logical step is for some tech company to create a package that bundles multiple streaming services and allows you to access them for one set price.

Basically, in the next five to ten years, some Silicon Valley entrepreneurs will get lots of good press for inventing cable.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #16
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yep - because the splinterization sucks, and finding a universal aggregator is going to add value.

Right now, I'm not off cable because I can't find a single service that satisfies all my needs. Getting off cable would require having a series of training classes so the rest of the family would understand how to use all the different devices so they could watch Peppa Pig when it's on. It's frustrating.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

What? Both Netflix and Amazon Prime are more expensive than when I first got those services.

Yeah, right now there is a ~$10 month sweet spot, but lots of services are experimenting with 'add on' services.

Quote:

Also they'll find a way to monetize things that were included at 'no extra charge' earlier.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #18
bob
College Starter

Amazon sorta does that already by allowing you to add channels like HBO and Showtime to your existing Amazon streaming account.

At this point there are enough streaming services that you can do a different free monthly trial each month and then start over again the next year.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Basically, in the next five to ten years, some Silicon Valley entrepreneurs will get lots of good press for inventing cable.

LOL ... but a good prediction
Old 11-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #20
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Maybe this is Disney's plan: Buy all the things.

Fox held talks to sell most of company to Disney: CNBC | Reuters
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #21
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Not so fast Disney

Comcast prepares to top Disney's $50 billion offer for Fox
Old 05-23-2018, 11:43 AM   #22
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I have no interest in Disney.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #23
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
I have no interest in Disney.

If it wasn't for Star Wars and to a lesser extent Marvel then I'd agree with you.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #24
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
If it wasn't for Star Wars and to a lesser extent Marvel then I'd agree with you.

As you alluded to, I think people don't understand all that Disney owns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...wned_by_Disney

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-23-2018 at 01:03 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #25
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Alright Disney you win

Disney wins: Comcast drops its bid for 21st Century Fox