Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #101
QuikSand
lolzcat

Radiohead as Howard Roark, never thought about The Bends that way, but it kinda fits. I love the album too.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #102
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
The Bends is a strange album to talk about if you're a Radiohead fan because it's that proverbial "accessible" album, which means if you're a FAN then you're supposed to discredit it as "radio bullshit," and then rant about how Kid A is the greatest thing since the Beatles decided to stop touring.

The problem is that there may not be a better pop album ever made. The hits on the album just keep coming, including a hit song that they didn't even want to put on the album and refuse to play in concert (High and Dry) and then it ends with Street Spirit, which makes you want to take a 10 second break and then start the CD over.

It was almost like they said "okay, we're going to make one MONSTER album, and then from this day forward nothing we do is going to fit the standard radio format."

Yeah, that pretty much hits the nail on the head.

From what I remember, after The Bends, they started doing a lot of their own production. Luckily, they're good at it. I can remember the strange feeling I had after hearing Kid A for the first time. "I don't know what just happened, I'm fairly sure I'll never be the same, but I like it...a lot." Kid A was a "fuck you" album. They're a fuck you band. From the "cha-chunks" in Creep to Thom Yorke's in your face weirdness in the Lotus Flower video, they've always seemed like the kind of band that, if they were Voltron, would form into a giant middle finger. High and Dry? Fuck you, mate.

That said, I don't give a shit if they hate High and Dry. It's a great song.
DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #103
Sgran
High School Varsity

I saw Robert Plant at a (relatively) small venue in London in '91. Half-way through the show the guitarist played the opening to Stairway to Heaven. Just as the crowd erupted, Planty started yawning and that was that. Fuck you. I've never understood why he felt the need to shit on his audience like G.G. Allen. Maybe it was just so we'd stop waiting and hoping.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #104
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

the bends was nigel godrich's first album with them. i remember reading that greenwood and yorke loved his production but were panicked they would become another disposable pop band.

someone turned them on to krautrock particularly, can, and that changed their direction.

a few years ago there was a country/western band called the country bends that did radiohead songs, particularly that album. they did an awesome version of black star. i can't find them anywhere though
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #105
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #106
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

From huff:
It's almost as if Radiohead takes glee in reminding its fan base that they'll never record another album that sounds anything remotely like "Ok Computer." Ever since the release of "Kid A" in 2000, some fans have been beside themselves with frustration over the band's patent refusal to give them exactly what they want. And "The King Of Limbs" may be the final straw.

Fortunately, BBC Comedy has perfectly spoofed the plight of Radiohead devotees with this short about a support group for fans of the band's earlier work.

AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #107
Butter
Coordinator

I'm actually liking the new album the more I hear of it. Trying to stay away from comparisons to earlier work, because, frankly, most of it can't be matched for quality.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #108
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Radiohead’s Bad Map Lures Fans to Brightwood - Arts Desk - Washington City Paper

Quote:
"I was expecting it to be at a record store," said Gage Muckleroy, an environmental engineer who drove down from Bowie, Md. to the sleepy corner of Brightwood at Jefferson and 7th Streets NW, hoping to grab a copy of The Universal Sigh, aka the Radiohead newspaper.

As Alex Baca predicted earlier today, while Radiohead knows many things, the L'Enfant Plan is not one of them. There was no Radiohead rep to be found at 784 Jefferson; in fact, the address doesn't even exist. The closest edifice is the Brightwood Park United Methodist Church at 744 Jefferson, where nearly 30 Radiohead fanatics—some using their lunch breaks, others just playing hooky—gathered in wait.

"It makes me not want to listen to Radiohead," mused Carla Vizzini, a special-needs teacher at a nearby school who used up her lunch hour in futility. She joked that she'll be making more room for Lady Gaga on her iPod.

Jon Fies and Ben De Laurentis drove up from Lynchburg, Va. with three of their friends. "We're Radiohead freaks," said Fies, who along with De Laurentis plays in a band called Steal the Prize. Their friend Jonathan McMillan took an entire day off from his job as a web designer to make the 400-mile round trip.

As much as the crowd of castable Radiohead fans—plaid shirts, corduroy jackets, and wayfarers abounded—could have felt played like chumps for following what turned out to be a map-making error by their beloved art-rockers, the mood was far from dour. Some got excited when a white hearse slowed down, hoping it was all part of the elaborate scheme. The stretched-out Cadillac disappeared into a driveway across the street.

Jonathan McMillan of Lynchburg, Va. took a day off from work to obtain a copy of The Universal Sigh.

"Fuck them for not giving us something for free!" someone blurted out to a chorus of laughs, though no one would claim the exclamation as their own.

As more people arrived and the minutes passed, it became less and less hopeful that someone would come by with copies of The Universal Sigh. I tried to explain Baca's reasoning, that whoever chose the locations did not account for the existence of both Jefferson Street and Jefferson Drive.

"But they had the ZIP code right," one young woman pleaded, noting that Radiohead's website did, in fact, list the block's ZIP code of 20011.

Eventually, Chloe Rice, a 24-year-old architecture student at Catholic University, got a call from a friend near the Hirshhorn Gallery at 7th Street and Jefferson Drive SW. The modern art collection was in fact the place to be. The crowd dispersed as people piled into cars or scrambled over to Georgia Avenue to catch a No. 70 Metrobus. A few decided to remain on the church's stoop, holding out hope that Radiohead did really intend to distribute its paper in a random neighborhood. Taryn Joswick, a self-described "Radiohead freak" who told the Bethesda pharmaceutical company she works for that she was going to a medical appointment, exchanged phone numbers with a young man rushing down to the mall who offered to confirm the actual location.

Perhaps De Laurentis put it best. Upon realizing he had been hoodwinked by shoddy maps, he offered a clever, albeit obvious, bit of commentary:

"This is the universal sigh."
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #109
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless View Post
I love Radiohead, but I don't have any friends who like them. I'm fairly certain part of that has to do with me not liking people. I have exactly 2 1/2 friends.

I'm just curious as to what other music radiohead fans enjoy? My favorite things to listen to are as follows:

Smashing Pumpkins
Radiohead
Ben Folds (alone or with posse)
Hip-Hop
Audio Books
Other Stuff (Death Cab has been spinning a decent amount lately)

Someone told me to check out Audio Transparent as they "sound like Radiohead" but I've yet to do so.

I always liked Creep and now just found Karma Police and love it. Other music I love: Beatles (obviously a big influence on this band, especially JOhn Lennon), Genesis, Rush, YES, David Bowie, CSNY, Pink Floyd, Joe Jackson, and yes Ben Folds Five, Foo FIghters/Nirvana

And yeah I like the popular Smashing Pumpkins songs. Haven't listened to any others though. I can see both these bands influenced by John Lennon especially how they sing

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 03-30-2011 at 02:41 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #110
Passacaglia
Coordinator

You mentioned Yes twice.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #111
Groundhog
Coordinator

That's cuz they're awesome.

Radiohead (and to a lesser extent Tool) were my gateway drugs as far as music goes. They led me to Yes, King Crimson and the world of Prog Rock.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #112
Groundhog
Coordinator

...although I must say that my opinion of Radiohead's latest hasn't changed. Really don't like the album. Given it a few chances, It's just that there's not a single song that jumps out at me at all.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #113
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
You mentioned Yes twice.

The first time was just saying the group Yes, the second time I was agreeing with his already posted "Ben Folds Five"
so "yes...Ben Folds FIve." But they are indeed that awesome too.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #114
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
That's cuz they're awesome.

Radiohead (and to a lesser extent Tool) were my gateway drugs as far as music goes. They led me to Yes, King Crimson and the world of Prog Rock.

Funny I was JUST reading about the history of lineup changes for King Crimson yesterday, located here.
King Crimson | Biography

Robert Fripp sounds like a total git that no one liked working with and he didn't seem to want to work with anyone else.

Cool music though. I hadn't realized Greg Lake formed ELP AFTER he was in King Crimson. I did know about BIll Bruford switching from Yes to KC though.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #115
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Funny I was JUST reading about the history of lineup changes for King Crimson yesterday, located here.
King Crimson | Biography

Robert Fripp sounds like a total git that no one liked working with and he didn't seem to want to work with anyone else.

Cool music though. I hadn't realized Greg Lake formed ELP AFTER he was in King Crimson. I did know about BIll Bruford switching from Yes to KC though.

Yup, Lake is a big reason why King Crimson's debut is such a good album IMO. I don't care a lot for ELP after their debut, but most of the tracks that I really like on the subsequent ELP albums I've heard were written by Lake (From The Beginning, Still... You Turn Me On).

Fripp definitely comes off as a bit of a douche, at least early on. Pretty common with talented musicians though... Basically everything he released as KC until Red, even Lizards and In the Wake... which a lot of people don't like, is a classic to my ears.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #116
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Just for you, Groundhog:

Old 04-19-2011, 06:21 AM   #117
PilotMan
Head Coach

I got an email last night, as I imagine others did who bought the music in the preorder did, and they sent a link to download 2 new tracks that didn't make the album. They are Supercollider and The Butcher. I like both of them. In fact, they are two of the better songs if you put them against King of Limbs.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #118
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Radiohead is going to be in town to tape an episode of "Austin City Limits" on March 6th, and have a concert the next night. I'm definitely going to try and get tix for the ACL show, but the odds aren't good. I'm not even going to try to guess what the scalping price for those are going to be.

Austin TX music: Music listings, bands, music news, reviews, SXSW and ACL | Austin360.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #119
PilotMan
Head Coach

It was announced this morning that Radiohead is coming to Cincinnati! Tix go on sale Sat! Where will I come up with the money to go to a concert that I said I would never let get by me?

Like Steam?

Old 03-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #120
miked
College Starter

Saw them the other night at Phillips. I'm not a fan of the venue, but the show rocked. I am almost considering trying to buy Roseland tix for their concert in September. My only issue is that our seats weren't that great. If I had known there were going to be a bunch on StubHub, I prolly wouldn't have sat by my comp for 20 minutes trying to get through on Ticketmaster when they went on sale.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #121
Groundhog
Coordinator

They are playing down here in Sydney later in the year. Tix prices are pretty crazy high, and that's not even counting the $400AU+ prices they are going for on Ebay. I saw them back around the Kid A/Amnesia era and, as one of my favourite bands, I have to say it was a disappointing experience for me. Very sterile. Seeing them a few weeks after seeing the Flaming Lips deliver probably my #1 live concert event of all time probably didn't help however.

(... I did, however, just fork out $300 for 2 tickets to see Yes play...)
Old 03-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #122
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I didn't get the ACL taping tickets. Evidently they received the most requests ever for tomorrow night's taping.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #123
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
They are playing down here in Sydney later in the year. Tix prices are pretty crazy high, and that's not even counting the $400AU+ prices they are going for on Ebay. I saw them back around the Kid A/Amnesia era and, as one of my favourite bands, I have to say it was a disappointing experience for me. Very sterile. Seeing them a few weeks after seeing the Flaming Lips deliver probably my #1 live concert event of all time probably didn't help however.

(... I did, however, just fork out $300 for 2 tickets to see Yes play...)

Flaming Lips put on some of the best live shows, so comparing them to anyone is rough. I got my tickets at face value since I sat on 2 laptops trying to get tickets on a Saturday morning (sucker). That being said, the show was great, lots of energy, lots of different songs.

Radiohead Concert Setlist at Philips Arena, Atlanta on March 1, 2012 | setlist.fm

If you can get over not hearing some of their older stuff, it's a great show. They ended with Street Spirit from The Bends, which was fairly awesome. My only disappointment was they didn't play My Iron Lung, which I've seen live and was awesome. Was worth $70, not sure if it's worth $400 AU, which I have no idea how much is in the US.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #124
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
It was announced this morning that Radiohead is coming to Cincinnati! Tix go on sale Sat! Where will I come up with the money to go to a concert that I said I would never let get by me?

I figured out a way! I got them this morning. Not as close as I would have hoped, but they are reserved seats nonetheless, and nothing reserved at Riverbend is a bad seat.

Like Steam?

Old 03-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #125
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Was worth $70, not sure if it's worth $400 AU, which I have no idea how much is in the US.

Probably something like US$420-450 depending on the exact exchange rate. Australia can be really expensive.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #126
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I figured out a way! I got them this morning. Not as close as I would have hoped, but they are reserved seats nonetheless, and nothing reserved at Riverbend is a bad seat.

Sad to report that circumstances being what they are, that I won't be able to make the concert in Cincinnati on the 5th. I've had the tickets since the day they went on sale, but a new job is going to force me out of town for most of the summer, including this concert.

So if anyone in the area (or not in the area, but willing to travel) needs some pavilion seats for the show I need to unload mine.

The 2 tickets, with all the applicable fees cost me $170 (2x$85). Thanks

Like Steam?

Old 05-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #127
miked
College Starter

Every year I have fall break around the 2nd week of October. Last year the wife and I went to Barcelona for a few days (she works for an airline so we fly free if it's open). Right around that time this year, Radiohead will be in either Amsterdam, Paris, or the UK, the 3 easiest places for us to get to from ATL...especially in October. We may try and see them overseas, I'm thinking it would be awesome.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #128
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Sad to report that circumstances being what they are, that I won't be able to make the concert in Cincinnati on the 5th. I've had the tickets since the day they went on sale, but a new job is going to force me out of town for most of the summer, including this concert.

So if anyone in the area (or not in the area, but willing to travel) needs some pavilion seats for the show I need to unload mine.

The 2 tickets, with all the applicable fees cost me $170 (2x$85). Thanks

!!!!

Ticketmaster really came through for me! I told them my whole story and asked them to consider refunding my money even though it's well outside the 72Hr purchase window, and they did!

Yay for Ticketmaster!

Like Steam?

Old 06-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #129
PilotMan
Head Coach

Stage collapses before Radiohead concert; 1 dead - San Jose Mercury News

Quote:
TORONTO -- A massive stage collapse hours before a Radiohead concert was to begin Saturday left one person dead and three others injured, officials said.
Emergency Medical Services deputy commander David Viljakainen said a man who was trapped under the rubble was pronounced dead at the scene. Officials said he was in his mid-30s.

Like Steam?

Old 05-01-2016, 06:59 PM   #130
PilotMan
Head Coach

Thread Resurrection!

So there's been a rumor flying around the last couple weeks that a new album is coming soon. Yesterday, flyers went out to homes in the UK teasing lyrics from an unreleased song that's well over 10 years old, and today they've been "disappearing" from the internet.

The band page, facebook, twitter, google+, and all posts by band members have disappearing or turning page white. It's gotten people talking, and the rumor is that the new album is coming any second.

http://pitchfork.com/news/65175-radi...ocial_facebook

Like Steam?

Old 05-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #131
Groundhog
Coordinator

OK Computer was the album completely responsible for opening my mind up to the possibilities of interesting/eclectic music and they will always hold a special place in my heart for that, but the last couple of albums really haven't done much for me - Jigsaw Falling Into Place aside, anyway.

I've only seen them live once, during (I think) the Kid A tour, and it was probably the most disappointing concert I've been to. Just felt like a band going through the motions, very little interaction with the crowd, not a lot of energy... probably just a bad night for the band.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #132
SteveMax58
College Starter

Never was a big Radiohead fan but came across a really good cover guy that made me give them a relisten. He does some seriously great covers on his youtube channel beyond Radiohead as well (perhaps worthy of their own thread ).

SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #133
Groundhog
Coordinator

Nice cover. Lucky was the first song I ever learnt to play on guitar.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #134
PilotMan
Head Coach

Like Steam?

Old 05-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #135
Butter
Coordinator

Wow, that's a good song. Very Radiohead, but always a new aspect to the sound.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #136
Pyser
Pro Rookie

promising start
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:58 PM   #137
Groundhog
Coordinator

That film clip is a horrifying re-imaging of the original Wicker Man but the song doesn't do a lot for me, TBH. Sounds like it could have slot into either of the last two albums pretty comfortably.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #138
Critch
lolzcat

One of my friends is a strong Radiohead fan and he's condemned this song in the strongest possible terms.

"It sounds like Coldplay".

The video is based on an old British children's TV shows by the way. Camberwick Green and Trumpton. Loved them when I was a kid/lazy student
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #139
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
One of my friends is a strong Radiohead fan and he's condemned this song in the strongest possible terms.

"It sounds like Coldplay".

The video is based on an old British children's TV shows by the way. Camberwick Green and Trumpton. Loved them when I was a kid/lazy student

I dig the song. I've played it 30 times at least.

Like Steam?

Old 05-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #140
Critch
lolzcat

I like it too, I just thought a Radiohead fan thinking the worst thing that he could say about a song was "it sounds like Coldplay" was funny.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:04 PM   #141
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I like it. The orchestral arrangement is an interesting twist on their sound, but this still sounds distinctly like Radiohead.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:26 PM   #142
PilotMan
Head Coach

Nice little breakdown on the video.

Radiohead's new music video "Burn the Witch" pays tribute to Hot Fuzz and The Wicker Man - Vox

Like Steam?

Old 05-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #143
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

not much of a Radiohead fan, but I do like this
Old 05-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #144
PilotMan
Head Coach

They dropped another new song this morning and announced the new album will be released on Sunday! Woohoo!

Like Steam?

Old 05-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #145
cartman
Death Herald

They will be headling ACL Fest this October.

Last edited by cartman : 05-06-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:01 PM   #146
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

ok, I'm in.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #147
PilotMan
Head Coach

Picked up the new album today. I'll get a full listen to it later today.

A Moon Shaped Pool | A Moon Shaped Pool US

Like Steam?

Old 05-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #148
PilotMan
Head Coach

I've given it a good listen and it's really good. I wasn't in love with the last one at first, but this one is really, really easy to like.

The whole album has a complete feel and vibe, like their other albums, that just seems to flow from song to song. It's very spacey, with a lot of acoustic and orchestral stylings.

I'd say it closer to Kid A, but with some OK Computer thrown in there. I could just relax and zone out for the entire album, but it's more groovy than Kid A. Nothing moves faster than Burn the Witch, and it's just so damn easy to listen to!

I'll admit to being a fanboy, but after King of Limbs I wasn't sure where they were going. This is a fantastic return and the kind of album you can put on a loop and ride a deep buzz.

Like Steam?

Old 05-08-2016, 11:34 PM   #149
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
The future is dire, the past a blur and the present heartbroken yet hinting at possibilities on Radiohead’s “A Moon Shaped Pool,” its ninth studio album and perhaps its darkest statement — though the one with the band’s most pastoral surface.
Radiohead worries throughout the album: about environmental devastation, about mass thoughtlessness, about love gone cold, about finding some way forward. “You’ve really messed up everything,” Thom Yorke sings in “Ful Stop,” one of the album’s few up-tempo songs, though it uses its insistent beat for jitters, not pleasurable motion.
On this album, grim tidings arrive amid gorgeous backdrops: gentle pianos and acoustic guitars reinforced by a string orchestra. Multilayered tinklings and murmurings give the music a subliminally shimmering aura. But this is Radiohead, whose beauty is always laced with dread; for the most part, “A Moon Shaped Pool” is an album of nightmare lullabies. In “Daydreaming,” a somber, undulating piano waltz, Mr. Yorke croons, “Beyond the point of no return/and it’s too late, the damage is done.” The album’s opening track, “Burn the Witch,” is a spiral of tension, cryptically portraying a society ignoring its own witch hunts as a clattery, insistent string arrangement ratchets up the dissonance and agitation.......

Like Steam?

Old 09-22-2016, 08:08 PM   #150
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

0:44 - Burn The Witch
4:25 - Daydreaming
10:17 - Ful Stop
16:17 - 2 + 2 = 5
19:35 - Myxomatosis
24:00 - My Iron Lung