Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #101
fpres
High School JV

50% off all Paradox Interactive titles until July 26th

Paradox Interactive - Paradox Interactive celebrates its 10 year anniversary with 50% Discount
fpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #102
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpres View Post

Anyone play King's Bounty: The Legend? Not a bad price to try it out... like I need more games to take up the little time I have to play them

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #103
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Anyone play King's Bounty: The Legend? Not a bad price to try it out... like I need more games to take up the little time I have to play them
King's Booty is a GREAT game if you like games like Heroes of Might & Magic. Nice turn-based gameplay and lots of side quests to go on. It's a lot of fun.

I mean King's Bounty, not King's Booty.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #104
PilotMan
Head Coach

Finally going to get my hands on Deus Vult. This is just what I was waiting for. Thanks.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #105
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Picked up a couple of recently discounted platformers, Mirror's Edge (PS3) and Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure (DS) for $20 each. Not wanting to fall 30 stories to your death is good motivation in the former, from that height your character makes an awful sound when they hit the ground.

Last edited by Big Fo : 07-21-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #106
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I know the games at GOG are always cheap, but they are running a 50% off racing titles this week only.

GOG.com

FM
Old 07-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #107
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Finally going to get my hands on Deus Vult. This is just what I was waiting for. Thanks.

Also picked up SOS: Argos Naval Yard, and Victoria: Revolutions. Three expansions spent 17 bucks. I'll take that!

Like Steam?

Old 07-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #108
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpres View Post

Good price on Mount and Blade(14.95) for those that missed the last sale.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #109
Uncle Briggs
Mascot

Has anybody tried Lost Empire: Immortals? Never heard of it but the reviews I found make it sound like a decent 4x space game, at least for $5.

edit:

While I'm soliciting opinions:

What better:Victoria complete, Crusader Kings complete, EU3 complete?

I like turn-based strategy; RTS not so much. Is SotS worth my time/money?

Last edited by Uncle Briggs : 07-22-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Uncle Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #110
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Briggs View Post
Has anybody tried Lost Empire: Immortals? Never heard of it but the reviews I found make it sound like a decent 4x space game, at least for $5.

edit:

If you are looking for 4x SotS is probably better.

Of those three Crusader Kings is the best IMO. Haven't played EU3 but CK is uber addictive.

Like Steam?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #111
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Briggs View Post

edit:

I play all three. They all have different game play, but the big difference is time period. If you're only going to get one go with the time period that interests you the most.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #112
gstelmack
Pro Starter

It's a shame King's Bounty wants to crash 1/3 of the way through on Vista 64-bit; did that ever get patched? The listing on Steam still shows "Vista 32-bit" and I can't find word that it ever got fixed. Otherwise I'd buy that during the sale.

And the Take Command game does not list Vista compatibility at all. Oh well, saving me some money.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #113
cschex
High School Varsity

If I can run CK complete on my (crappy) integrated graphics chipset would EU3 work as well? I have never played and would like a new games but obviously don't want to purchase anything that wont run.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #114
JPhillips
General Manager

EU3 can be tricky with older graphics cards. CK and Vicki should run no problem, but I'd check the paradox forum fo card specs before I bought EU3.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #115
Tasan
College Starter

What is SotS? I'm always looking for a good space 4x.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #116
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
If I can run CK complete on my (crappy) integrated graphics chipset would EU3 work as well? I have never played and would like a new games but obviously don't want to purchase anything that wont run.

Make sure your video card supports pixelshader 2.0, the other requirements are pretty light.

Microsoft Windows XP/2000 1.9 Ghz Intel Pentium or similar AMD
512mb RAM
Direct X 9.0c compatible video card with at least 128mb & support for pixelshader 2.0.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #117
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

How accessible are titles like CK and EU III? The last Paradox game I played was the original EU. One of the problems I faced was trying to make sense of all the feedback the game was providing. I'm not necessarily intimidated by the complexity of these kinds of games, but whether or not the game allows you to make sense of all the details.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #118
JPhillips
General Manager

Any of those have a very steep learning curve. Did you get to a point where you felt comfortable with EU? If you did you'll eventually figure out EU3 as well. I think there's an EU3 wiki with some good help guides.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #119
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Any of those have a very steep learning curve. Did you get to a point where you felt comfortable with EU? If you did you'll eventually figure out EU3 as well. I think there's an EU3 wiki with some good help guides.

It's been awhile since I played EU, but I remember feeling lost about what to do next at a certain point. It may have been the raft of information available and myriad variables I recall trying to consider.

I guess I might compare my experience to the one I had with Civ IV. With Civ, I always had that sense that I could do any number of things with the next turn and could have a pretty clear understanding of why I was making that decision and the possible range of consequences that could follow from it. I didn't always get that sense from EU. I could do any number of things, but I wasn't always clear about why I should be making that decision and even less clear about the potential consequences. I know Paradox is not intending to create Civ-style games, but are any of these more recent titles a few steps up from Civ when it comes to how clearly the player knows what might be done and its range of outcomes? Does this question make sense?

'Course maybe for $5, something like CK might be worth trying anyways.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #120
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
It's been awhile since I played EU, but I remember feeling lost about what to do next at a certain point. It may have been the raft of information available and myriad variables I recall trying to consider.

I guess I might compare my experience to the one I had with Civ IV. With Civ, I always had that sense that I could do any number of things with the next turn and could have a pretty clear understanding of why I was making that decision and the possible range of consequences that could follow from it. I didn't always get that sense from EU. I could do any number of things, but I wasn't always clear about why I should be making that decision and even less clear about the potential consequences. I know Paradox is not intending to create Civ-style games, but are any of these more recent titles a few steps up from Civ when it comes to how clearly the player knows what might be done and its range of outcomes? Does this question make sense?

'Course maybe for $5, something like CK might be worth trying anyways.

It makes perfect sense, but I don't have a good answer for you. The Paradox games(EU/CK/HOI/Vicki) are just very demanding for a new user. Eventually it becomes pretty routine and you can focus on different sets of info depending on what you want to do, but I don't know how to get to that point without a lot of frustration.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:03 PM   #121
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think that CK is the the most logical for a new user. I was able to get up and running with that much faster. As far as the graphics question. I have a very old Inspiron 600m (single core 1.6, integrated graphics) and I can play CK, but I could never touch EU3. I tried Diplomacy and the graphics on that killed my system. Vicki would be about the same as CK.

Quote:
What is SotS? I'm always looking for a good space 4x.

Sword of the Stars. I think that it has 3 or 4 expansions, with the last just coming out about a month ago, and I have them all, but haven't played it a whole lot, thanks to just getting into Guild Wars with my oldest son.

Here's the wiki for it though. Seems very developed.

Main Page - SOTS

Like Steam?

Old 07-23-2009, 11:44 PM   #122
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
It's a shame King's Bounty wants to crash 1/3 of the way through on Vista 64-bit; did that ever get patched? The listing on Steam still shows "Vista 32-bit" and I can't find word that it ever got fixed. Otherwise I'd buy that during the sale.

And the Take Command game does not list Vista compatibility at all. Oh well, saving me some money.

I was leery of getting King's Bounty because of the 64-bit stuff. I ended up buying it anyway and played it for an hour or hour and a half and had no issues. Really enjoyed it.

I'm running Windows 7 so that might be different, but I asked around a bit beforehand and heard of some people on Vista 64 who had no problems also. It sounds like it's a crapshoot.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #123
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
Next game - I want to check out is The World Ends With You, but apparently its hard to find around these neck of the woods.

I absolutely love TWEWY but I know some who don't and the gulf is basically gameplay. I think those who like or even just stick with the gameplay will like the story. Those who can't stand it won't play long enough to get into the story. For my money, one of the best games on the DS.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:29 AM   #124
mckerney
Coordinator

Steam has Dawn of War II along with all other games in Dawn of War and Company of Heroes series 50% off this weekend.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:32 AM   #125
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

oooh! maybe i'll grab the last CoH game then...thanks mckerney!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:38 AM   #126
mckerney
Coordinator

No problem. I'd been waiting for a Dawn of War II sale and decided to also pick up the relic super pack with Dawn of War Platinum and Company of Heroes Gold for $24.99.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #127
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Just found Supreme Commander for $3.60 at Target.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #128
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Steam has a 10-pack of indie games including Braid, World of Goo, and Crayon Physics Deluxe for $30 this weekend.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #129
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I don't know how many PS3 owners are interested in getting Afrika ahead of its release date here (reviews are mixed, seems like a niche title), but play-asia.com has a Korean/English version for $25.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #130
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Steam has a 10-pack of indie games including Braid, World of Goo, and Crayon Physics Deluxe for $30 this weekend.

Damn, now I wish I hadn't picked up World of Goo and Braid a couple weeks ago.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #131
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Toys R Us is running a special this week: Buy 1 Get 1 50% off for Wii and DS games. Usually with a sale like this, all the good stock is out on Sunday and they won't replenish until next week so, if you want something in high demand (Wii Sports Resort, new Professor Layton, etc)- might want to get in there today.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:42 AM   #132
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some excellent deals on HDD's if you're a PS3 owner. You can get a 500 GB drive for $70 or a 320 GB drive for $43.

Dell SB 20% + 10% Off Desktop/Laptop Hard Drives: Western Digital 500GB 5400RPM Laptop HDD $72, 320GB $43, 320GB 7200 RPM Laptop HDD $55 & More - Slickdeals.net
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #133
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Pretty sweet deal on NCAA Football 2010 for PS3/XBox360 if you haven't gotten it. I just got a used copy for $40 shipped. I think Madden is sold out:

Hastings 30% Off Used Video Games, Movies and CDs: Fallout 3 (PS3) $19, Left4Dead (360), $17, Grand Theft Auto IV (360/PS3) $13, Halo 3 $22 (360), Gears of War 2 (360) $23, Madden NFL 10 (360/PS3) $34 & More + S/H - Slickdeals.net
Old 09-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #134
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Go Gamer has a weekend madess sale. Some PC games as cheap as one penny.

48 Hour Madness
Old 09-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #135
JPhillips
General Manager

That's a really good price on HOI3. With the patch arriving possibly today it's a god time to get that.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #136
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Steam is running a big sale on Strategy First titles.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #137
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Go Gamer has a weekend madess sale. Some PC games as cheap as one penny.

48 Hour Madness

Thanks, just picked up Call of Juarez, Just Cause, Maelstrom, Sid Meier's Railroads!, The Movies, Battlestations: Midway, Titlebout: Championship Boxing and Prey for $20.80 including shipping.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #138
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I got an email from GamersGate with the subject that Civilization VI was on sale. I was all over that, but inside the message, it said it was actually Civilization IV. Ah, well.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #139
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I got an email from GamersGate with the subject that Civilization VI was on sale. I was all over that, but inside the message, it said it was actually Civilization IV. Ah, well.

I'm sure if you wanted to give them money for a game that is still 2 generations away, I'm sure that they would take it.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:58 AM   #140
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Thanks, just picked up Call of Juarez, Just Cause, Maelstrom, Sid Meier's Railroads!, The Movies, Battlestations: Midway, Titlebout: Championship Boxing and Prey for $20.80 including shipping.

I'm curious how Maelstrom is.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #141
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

$5 off all New Star Games through Sept. 30th.

Coupon code: supernsg
Old 09-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #142
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Since Direct2Drive is having their 5 year anniversary, they are currently having a specials for RPGs for $5. Some notable games in there are:
  • Drakensang
  • Neverwinter Nights 2
  • Assassin's Creed Director's Cut
  • Titan Quest Bundle
And they are also continuing specials on some other games:
  • Civ IV
  • Bioshock
  • Sid Meier's Pirates!

Just go here:
http://www.direct2drive.com/d2dturns5
Old 09-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #143
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

looks like assasin's creed will run on my laptop - how is it?

i like the idea of the game

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-27-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #144
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

I have not played it, but it has received favorable rankings.
Assassin's Creed for PC - GameRankings
Old 09-28-2009, 05:45 AM   #145
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I've never purchased anything from Direct2Drive. Am I able to log into two different computers and play the games I've purchased?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:17 AM   #146
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Need for Speed: Shift available for $40 at Best Buy online. Shipping is free for PS3 version. $2.99 shipping for 360 version.

Need For Speed: Shift Game, PS3 or Xbox 360 $40 - Slickdeals.net
Old 09-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #147
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

i like the idea of the game

Was fun for a bit, then it just turned into a very very repetitive game.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #148
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Was fun for a bit, then it just turned into a very very repetitive game.

$5 fun?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #149
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Does anyone have Need for Speed: Shift yet? There's a thread that popped up over at NeoGaf with some pretty troubling bugs. Main issues are the 360 version of the game freezing while attempting to sign in to the PSN store and the other being the 'jumping' car physics issue when you go off the road on both versions. It appears to be pretty buggy.

NFS: Shift Crashes at PlayStation Store Screen — on a 360 - NeoGAF
Old 09-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #150
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
$5 fun?

I think it could be $5 worth of fun, certainly not $50. It's very cool the first time or two around, but then you realize you're just doing the same thing over and over. For $5, I'd give a try.

Though I only played the 360 version, not PC.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote