Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #1
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Victori Spolia: Rugby Town F.C. (FM 14)

I really, really want to play and write about a long-running Football Manager career. I've found that a very elusive achievement. Part of the reason lies in the almost limitless possibilities the game offers. I can manage a big club, or a tiny one. I can manage in a world football powerhouse like Germany, or a tiny nation like Luxembourg. It seems that, as soon as I settle on a fun setting for a career, another one beckons.

Then, I buy the newest version of the game, and I begin the cycle again.

It's fun to explore the world of football like this, but I also think it would be fun to have a nice, long career with one manager character. With that in mind, I've created a scenario that I believe will engage my attention over the long haul.

I'm using Football Manager 14, because that's the edition of the game I've had the most fun with. I've managed to create tactics that have my team playing the way I want them to play, at least some of the time.

I enjoy managing in England most of all, and I like managing lower level teams. There's a very good database for FM 14 called "England Enhanced and Expanded" that does an excellent job of including two more levels of the English pyramid. I can manage a team at Level 8, the second tier of Non-League football. That's where I'm beginning my career, with Rugby Town Football Club. That's Rugby's crest at the top of my post.

When I first began playing FM, I thought I was being a slacker if I delegated some of the tasks involved in running my team to my staff. I've decided to re-think that attitude for this career. On my first day in charge, I'm going to terminate the existing staff at Rugby Town, with the exception of a player/coach I want to keep around. I'm giving the club's director the responsibility of hiring new staff members.

Then, when I get a Director of Football, I'll task him with finding new players for the club and negotiating their contracts. I'll reserve the right to approve or reject the DoF's suggestions. I'm sure I'll look for players myself--it's a lot of fun to find good players and bring them in--but the major share of the work will fall to the DoF.

I'll let my Assistant Manager handle the individual and team training, and I'll only step in if I think something isn't working, or if I have a brainstorm that my right-hand man hasn't come up with on his own.

With those jobs in the hands of my staff, I'll concentrate on tactics, man management, and match strategy, with a side order of squad building. I hope this style of play will hit my perfect balance between detail and playability, the one that will allow me to keep the career running for decades.

I hope some of you will enjoy the story, and please feel free to comment anytime you like.

Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

7 July 2013

On my first day on the job at Rugby Town, I offered every member of the backroom staff the opportunity to terminate his contract. The board agreed, and just like that, the cupboard was wiped bare.

I wasn't sure how that would work out. Would we go into the season with holes in our staff? Or--perhaps even worse--would the staff members our director hired be rubbish, with less talent than the ones I terminated?

Fortunately, things worked out well. It took less than a week for Suzi Mewes to fill all the vacancies, and the new men are all better than their predecessors.

Veteran John Relish is our Director of Football. The former Newport County defender has spent the last 25 years in management, and comes to us fresh off a stint as HoYD at Bath City.

Assistant manager Micky Norbury hung up his boots in 2010 after a 15-year playing career that took him to several clubs. He's been an assistant at Goole and Harrogate Railway, and was out of football for a year before coming to Rugby Town.

Our new Head of Youth Development is Ceri Bowley, who is barely more than a youth himself at age 25. He spent the last three seasons as HoYD at Merthyr Town, after a very brief playing career.

Malcolm Lay left a club in our league, Kettering Town, to join us as our Chief Scout. I think they're going to miss him, because he looks like a good scout for a non-League club.

The same goes for our new physio, Joseph Korge. He's been looking for a job for a year, after serving as physio for Luton Town's U18 team.

All the newcomers are bedding in nicely, and we're getting ready for our pre-season friendlies, which begin in two days, away to Rainworth Miners Welfare.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

17 August 2013

Rugby Town play in the Calor Southern Division 1 Central, a league in the eighth tier of English football. There are 22 teams in the league, and each team plays each other twice, home and away. The resulting 42-game programme makes depth a necessity...before the cup competitions are figured in. We play in four of these: the FA Cup, the FA Trophy, the Birmingham Senior Challenge Cup, and the Red Insure Southern League Cup.

We played five friendlies during the pre-season. I wouldn't have minded a more intense schedule, and I had some of the senior players turn out with the Under 21s twice to help them gain more fitness. The senior team won twice, lost twice, and drew once, but the results weren't as important as the opportunity the matches gave us to prepare for the season.

The board hired another scout, Glen Knight. He's not a very good scout, and I'm surprised they couldn't find a better one.

I'm much more impressed with the five players we've brought in during the summer transfer period. All of them were free agents. As I mentioned above, my Director of Football, John Relish, found them and negotiated their offers, and I approved the deals and closed them. You'll see more about these men later, but I'll introduce them to you now:
  • Rico Taylor, a 19-year-old winger, formerly with Torquay, Tamworth, and Hednesford.
  • Dave Anderton, a 16-year-old center back. We are Dave's first club.
  • Rob Midgley, a 16-year-old defender who can play both left and center back. Rugby are Rob's first club, too.
  • Craig Tanner, 27, who can play anywhere along the left side. Craig has played with five different clubs, mostly with Tooting & Mitcham United.
  • Aaron Dalhouse, a 23-year-old right back. Aaron was in Crystal Palace's youth program, and has also played for Bromley and Dulwich Hamlet.

We began the year £1000/week under our wage budget. These five players will cost us just under £600/week altogether, with Dalhouse and Tanner the big earners at £230/week each. We might have room to add more players; I'll know more after I see what our total expenditures look like.

Two players have left the club since I arrived. Left back Craig Kelly signed for Maldon & Tiptree, and center half Mason Rowley is off to Grays Athletic. Both players have moved up a level, so it's hard to argue with their desire to move on. If Grays end up selling Rowley on, we'll receive 25% of the fee.

I'll be back in a bit with a post that examines our roster as we enter the Southern Division 1 Central programme this afternoon, away to Aylesbury United.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 01-20-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfriars Bobby View Post

I really, really want to play and write about a long-running Football Manager career. I've found that a very elusive achievement. Part of the reason lies in the almost limitless possibilities the game offers. I can manage a big club, or a tiny one. I can manage in a world football powerhouse like Germany, or a tiny nation like Luxembourg. It seems that, as soon as I settle on a fun setting for a career, another one beckons.

Then, I buy the newest version of the game, and I begin the cycle again.

It's fun to explore the world of football like this, but I also think it would be fun to have a nice, long career with one manager character. With that in mind, I've created a scenario that I believe will engage my attention over the long haul.

I'm using Football Manager 14, because that's the edition of the game I've had the most fun with. I've managed to create tactics that have my team playing the way I want them to play, at least some of the time.

I enjoy managing in England most of all, and I like managing lower level teams. There's a very good database for FM 14 called "England Enhanced and Expanded" that does an excellent job of including two more levels of the English pyramid. I can manage a team at Level 8, the second tier of Non-League football. That's where I'm beginning my career, with Rugby Town Football Club. That's Rugby's crest at the top of my post.

When I first began playing FM, I thought I was being a slacker if I delegated some of the tasks involved in running my team to my staff. I've decided to re-think that attitude for this career. On my first day in charge, I'm going to terminate the existing staff at Rugby Town, with the exception of a player/coach I want to keep around. I'm giving the club's director the responsibility of hiring new staff members.

Then, when I get a Director of Football, I'll task him with finding new players for the club and negotiating their contracts. I'll reserve the right to approve or reject the DoF's suggestions. I'm sure I'll look for players myself--it's a lot of fun to find good players and bring them in--but the major share of the work will fall to the DoF.

I'll let my Assistant Manager handle the individual and team training, and I'll only step in if I think something isn't working, or if I have a brainstorm that my right-hand man hasn't come up with on his own.

With those jobs in the hands of my staff, I'll concentrate on tactics, man management, and match strategy, with a side order of squad building. I hope this style of play will hit my perfect balance between detail and playability, the one that will allow me to keep the career running for decades.

I hope some of you will enjoy the story, and please feel free to comment anytime you like.

I really miss playing the FM games. I used to play them all the time but due to so many other commitments and the fact that I am not a fan of Steam at all (and with all the newest versions of FM you have to have Steam) my days of playing this great game are probably over. I'll enjoy reading your dynasty though.
collegesportsfanms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

17 August 2013

As promised, here's a closer look at Rugby Town's senior team as league play commences.

Goalkeepers

Bevan, a former Aston Villa schoolboy, is a solid 'keeper with no glaring weaknesses in his game. His understudy, Cooper, will do as a backup. I'd like to have another young goalkeeper in the team, however.

I'll talk about the outfield players in the group they'll feature in most.

Defenders

Tanner is being paid well to handle left back for us. I like his ability to get forward and contribute to the attack with dribbles and crosses. Dalhouse will be first choice on the right, but I'll make sure Myles, a youngster who our staff like nearly as much, gets some playing time too. I can slide Dalhouse into the center and install Myles at right back without any problems. I would also put Austin into the team without hesitation; he provides good cover at both outside positions.

Midgely, Gudger, and Anderton will probably rotate in and out of the two center back slots. Despite his youth, Midgley is perhaps the best of the three. Gudger is the captain, so I'd like to have him on the pitch as much as possible. Anderton needs seasoning, but he has a lot of potential.

Midfielders

I'm having the team prepare three tactics. One is a 4-1-2-2-1 that uses a defensive midfielder playing behind two central mids, with attacking wingers. Another is a 4-2-3-1 shape with a pair of central midfielders behind a trio of attacking mids. The third is a good ol' 4-4-2 with left and right midfielders and a central duo. Therefore, I need a versatile corps of midfielders who can ideally play more than one role with ease.

Belcher is a very good fit for my system, because he's comfortable in a defensive or supporting role in the middle of the park. Welshman Blythe makes a fine holding midfielder, which isn't surprising, considering he can also play center half. Four clubs are trying to take him off our hands. Player-coach Miller can fill in here, and he's the only man in the team who is the least bit comfortable at DM, which is a weakness I want to remedy very soon.

Taylor is a flash on the left wing. He's been playing his way down the levels of English football for the past three years, but I think he might have found the place where he can be a star. Kaziboni, who offers versatility and pace, will get first crack at the right wing. Most of the players who are natural forwards can handle the wings if I need them to.

If I decide to play 4-4-2, Tanner can spell Taylor at left midfielder, and Myles can move up to the right side to cover for Kaz.

Moses-Garvey, who trained at Birmingham and boasts a single St. Kitts and Nevis cap, will play AMC when my tactic calls for one. I've never used an Enganche in one of my tactics, but AMG is good at this role, so I might give it a go. If nothing else, it sounds pretty cool.

Strikers

Kolodynski will lead the line, no matter what formation we're in. He scored 34 in 38 matches, in all competitions, last year, earning him the league's Golden Boot (the second such award he's won). David is under contract until 2016, too.

Lake-Gaskin is the second best choice for a single striker, but when I play 4-4-2, Marsden will partner Kolodynski, because his vision and passing ability make him better able to play as a deeper-lying forward. I can, and will, also use Moses-Garvey there. Taylor, and even Dalhouse, can play up top, too.

We're tipped to finish second in the league, with 5-4 odds of winning it. Our board wants me to gain promotion this season, and the players seem to think it is a reasonable goal.

I'm quite happy with the team as it stands now. If I could add one more player, I'd bring in a lad who specializes as a defensive midfielder, possibly with the ability to play M(C), too.

One thing I like about this team is the fact that the U21 and U18 squads are full of "grey ghosts," players whom I can bring fully to life by signing them to contracts. In FM14, the "greys" have varying attributes, and they're often talented enough to help a team at our level, if only by providing depth. In FM15 and FM16, the "greys" were made into generic clods who aren't good for much at all.

So, if nothing else, I can sign a "ghost" or two and use them to fill in the gaps in my team.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 01-23-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:45 PM   #6
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Calor Southern Division 1 Central
Match Day 1: 17 August 2013
Aylesbury United v. Rugby Town
Bell Close, Leighton Buzzard

I don't think I'll write up each match of the season, but our league opener definitely deserved a feature post.

David Kolodynski took a big step toward winning another Golden Boot, scoring all four of our goals in a 4-2 victory over Aylesbury United.

After Stacey Field scored to put the Ducks ahead on 22', but when Aylesbury forward Keith Williams clattered Rugby skipper Alex Gudger during a scramble for the ball in our penalty area, referee Roger East pointed to the spot. Kolodynski did the honors and the score was level.

For some reason, Aylesbury manager Tony Joyce brought his goalkeeper, Jack Sillitoe, off at 68 minutes, with the score still 1-1. The Ducks took the lead eight minutes later, as Field completed his brace.

Then David Kolodynski took over.

Over a twelve-minute span, Kolo struck three times, one on a cheeky lob that wrong-footed the new 'keeper, Ben Grasso. Two of David's goals were laid on by Aaron Moses-Garvey, who seemed to thrive in the role of Enganche.

They won't always be this good, but it was a wonderful way to start.

Aylesbury United 2 (Field 22, 76)
Rugby Town 4 (Kolodynski pen 38, 79, 82, 90+1)

Rugby Lineup: Bevan, Dalhouse, Midgely, Gudger, Tanner (Myles), Blythe, Belcher (Miller), Kaziboni (Marsden), Moses-Garvey, Taylor, Kolodynski.

Man of the Match: David Kolodynski (9.7)

Attendance: 117.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 01-20-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #7
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

The town of Rugby is located in Warwickshire, in central England. The largest nearby cities are Coventry (14 miles away) and Nuneaton (20 miles away).

The circled area on this map includes Warwickshire.

Rugby Town F.C. was founded in 1955 as New Bilton Juniors. One of their nicknames, Valley, comes from an early name for the club, Valley Sports.

The team's Latin motto, Victori Spolia, is the familiar "to the victor, the spoils."

Town play at Butlin Road, which is considered a very good stadium by non-league football standards. The grounds hold 6000 spectators, with seating for 740.

Here's a photo of the main stand, taken from groundhoppersdiary.

We open our 2013/14 league season at Butlin Road on Tuesday, 20 September, against Potters Bar Town.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 01-21-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #8
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Last night, after the kids had gone to bed, my wife and I were hanging out in our playroom. She was texting pics of the winter wonderland in our backyard to her college roommate, and I was engrossed in Rugby Town's FA cup match on 31 August...when my laptop shut down. I'd let the battery run down to nothing.

I had carelessly forgotten to save the game since the aftermath of David Kolodynski's tour de force against Aylesbury United. Fortunately, that match is still in the books, but everything that had happened since then was wiped out.

So, we'll turn the clock back to the 18th and see what happens this time. The moral: Save frequently.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 01-23-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #9
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegesportsfanms View Post
I really miss playing the FM games. I used to play them all the time but due to so many other commitments and the fact that I am not a fan of Steam at all (and with all the newest versions of FM you have to have Steam) my days of playing this great game are probably over. I'll enjoy reading your dynasty though.

Thanks very much. I'm a huge fan of the series, and this version is still my favorite. It'll be great to have you along for the journey.

I'm having to replay several matches because I forgot to save my game (dumb) and my laptop shut down, but I'll be back with a real update soon.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:03 PM   #10
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Note: I've replayed all the matches that were lost, and finished the one that was in progress when my battery ran down. The results were a little different this time, as you might guess.

31 August 2013

I'm trying out a new post format this time. The "On the Pitch" section will contain brief match reports. "Around the Town" will cover other developments in the club--transfers, my interactions with the board, etc.

On the Pitch

Tuesday, 20 August 2013: Match Day 2

Rugby Town 0-1 Potters Bar Town

We had the better of the Scholars everywhere except where it matters most: on the scoreboard. It was a match we should have won, and I told the players so.

Saturday, 24 August 2013: Match Day 3
Rugby Town 2-0 North Greenford United

Rob Midgley (3)
David Kolodynski (pen 77)
Man of the Match: Rob Midgley (7.5)

A very positive response from the team, who took care of the scrappy Blues at Butlin Road. Midgley found the net after a Rugby corner bounced around the area for a while. Kolodynski made the Blues pay for clattering Rico Taylor inside the box.

An outstanding performance from our defensive corps limited United to two shots, only one of which David Bevan needed to save.

Monday, 26 August 2013: Match Day 3
Daventry Town 0-0 Rugby Town

Two nights later, we traveled 10 miles or so up the road for a contest with a club that considers us one of their biggest rivals. Their manager, Darran Foster, tried to spice things up with some trash talk; that turned out to be the most exciting aspect of an otherwise drab match.

The Dav Town Boys were top of the league and haven't conceded a goal yet, so earning a draw away isn't a bad result.

We're currently fourth in the league on 7 points, three behind leaders Daventry Town.

Saturday, 31 August 2013: FA Cup Preliminary Round
Rugby Town 2-1 Coventry Sphinx

Aaron Moses-Garvey (17, 59)
Aaron Moses-Garvey (9.0)

A brace from AMG, and we advance to the next round of the FA Cup. A nice crowd of almost 700 came out to see us, and I'm glad we gave them a good show. Several young players made their debuts as I rotated the squad a bit.

Around the Town
We've added a few new players to the club. I brought three "grey ghosts" to life to give us some depth. They play the same positions our former lads did, but they have different names this time.

Calvin Crooks: D/WB (L), age 23
We completed this signing a little earlier this time around, and Calvin could turn out for us against Potters Bar Town. He is mentally tough and quite skilled for our level. He's moved into the first team at left back, with Craig Tanner seeing more duty in the middle of the pitch.

Keith Bywater: DM, M (C), age 15
Keith's signing went through just as it did the first time I played through this week. He's a natural DM, a tough lad with lots of room for growth.

Jamie Merson: D (C), DM, M (RC), age 18
Jamie is a versatile former "grey ghost" who will play for our youth sides and fill in when he's needed.

Kevin Parr: D (RC), WB (R), M (RC): age 17
Kevin, another youngster who provides cover at several positions, is also a converted "grey ghost." He is an especially good passer.

Alan Jenkinson: D (RC), WB (R), DM: age 17
The third of the "grey ghosts," Alan can play all over the back line or in the two deeper midfield strata.

Three of our "real" youth players--central midfielders Dwight Smith and Derek Thompson and winger Scott Dacres--got their senior debuts in the Cup tie.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 01-24-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #11
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

14 September 2013

A lot has happened in only two weeks, enough to merit an update.

First, a look at the league table. It's a little frustrating that I can't fit all 22 teams into the screen shot, but for now, it's the top end of the table that's most relevant.

On the Pitch

Saturday, 7 September 2013: Match Day 5

Rugby Town 2-0 Slough Town

Greg Kaziboni (22)
David Kolodynski (59)
Greg Kaziboni (8.2)

Slough Town are bottom of the league, and we controlled the match from start to finish. The Rebels managed only one shot, and it missed the target.

We played without Aaron Moses-Garvey, who strained knee ligaments and will be out of action for a while. Our league rules permit us to use players who are on trial with the club, so Danny Maguire, a former Queen's Park Rangers schoolboy, took AMG's place.

Wednesday, 11 September 2013: Match Day 6
St. Ives Town 1-2 Rugby Town

Scott Dacres (55)
David Kolodynski (78)
Richard Blythe (7.9)

A nice away win at Westwood Road, as we came back from a goal down. Dacres, called up from the youth ranks, took his goal well, but he also has a bit of an attitude that could make him tough to manage. Kolodynski was almost invisible until the game's late stages. Then, he found himself in space and lashed home the match-winner, his seventh in league play.

Saturday, 14 September 2013: FA Cup, Preliminary Round
Redditch United 3-2 Rugby Town

Alex Austin (39)
David Kolodynski (60)

I played a lot of reserves in this match, and two of the regulars who did play got hurt. Craig Tanner pulled a hamstring in the first half, and he'll be out of action for about a month. That's a big loss, but the other is a huge one. David Kolodynski took a knock and, as I was preparing to bring him off, he does what he does: he scored. He'd twisted his ankle, and he'll possibly miss up to 6 weeks.

It was otherwise a cracking match, especially for a neutral, as the teams traded goals and played brisk, sharp football. Left back Austin scored a nice goal, converting a free kick with a ringing half-volley.

Around the Town

DoF John Relish stayed busy the past two weeks. There are four more new players around Butlin Road these days, all here on loan.

Lewis Bergin: D (C), age 17
On loan from Port Vale

Relish thinks so highly of Lewis's ability that he offered to pay the lad's £80/week salary for the duration of his four-month stay. He has lots of pace and he's sure in the tackle, and he'll slot into our first team.

Kane Haysman: M/AM (C), age 19
On loan from Gillingham

The DoF likes Kane even more--so much that we're picking up all of his £200/week wages. He's good, with the creativity to man the AM slot while AMG heals, and the well-rounded skill set I want in an M (C). An easy choice for the first eleven.

Tyler Guy: D (LC), age 17
On loan from Notts County

Another athletic, skilled youngster from a League One side. Tyler is a huge presence at center half, good in the air and tough. And, we're only paying £15/a week for him.

Curtis Bateson: AM (C), ST (C), age 17
On loan from Scunthorpe United

Curtis's arrival is even more welcome now that Kolodynski will be out for a while. He's not fast, but he can otherwise provide a decent imitation of our star front man. I think he'll be worth every penny of the £15/week we'll stick into his pay envelope.

"Johnny Paycheck's" liberality has us paying £325 a week more than our wage budget now. It's pretty clear he's adopted a "win now" mentality, so now it's up to me and the lads to deliver...or the board will certainly have a problem with the money we're spending.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 01-24-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:29 PM   #12
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

17 September 2013

Match Day 7

Kettering Town 1-1 Rugby Town

Elliott Sandy (36)
Rico Taylor (54)

Kettering Town were picked to win the league in the pre-season preview, but they've struggled so far--they came into the match in 17th position. Still, they are a talented side, and I took this match very seriously. So did their manager, Dean Thomas, with whom I get on well. I defended him in my pre-match press conference, something Dean appreciated very much.

We fell behind when David Bevan let a shot from Elliott Sandy roll free, and Sandy punched the rebound beween David and his right post. It's not the kind of goal David concedes very often.

I switched to a more offensive style, and Rico Taylor, who's been scuffling a bit, brought us level by tucking a lofted cross from Greg Kaziboni inside Michael Jordan's far post.

Leighton Town beat Aylesbury United, 4-1, taking three points and vaulting past the Ducks into a tie with us at the top of the table on 14 points. We have the edge over Leighton on goal difference, +6 to +5.

Rugby Lineup: Bevan, Dalhouse, Bergin, Midgley, Crooks, Blythe, Haysman, Kaziboni, Bateson (Marsden), Taylor, Lake-Gaskin.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #13
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

20 September 2013

FA Trophy Preliminary Round
Rugby Town 4-2 Bedworth United

Curtis Bateson (27, 63, pen 73)
Greg Kaziboni (37)
Curtis Bateson (9.5)

There were several reasons why I really wanted to win this match. Our opponent, Bedworth United, are from a town only a dozen or so miles away. They are actually our junior affiliate, even though they now play in a league (the Northern First Division South) that is on the same level as ours. And, if we won, we'd get a rematch with Redditch.

For those reasons, I fielded a full-strength side today. The fans were treated to a four-goal haul, punctuated by a hat trick from new man Curtis Bateson.

We were ahead, 2-1, when the Greenbacks' Anthony Newton was sent off for a professional foul. I'd predicted there might be some extracurricular physicality tonight, and Newton, who is known for playing with an edge, proved me right.

Another new Rugbeian, Kane Haysman, played very well in the enganche role. He laid on two goals and generally looked sharp.

Two of our youngsters, Alan Jenkinson and Mark Georcelin, took their senior bows today, coming on as second-half substitutes.

Rugby Lineup: Bevan, Dalhouse (Jenkinson), Guy, Midgley, Crooks, Blythe (Georcelin), Belcher, Kazboni, Haysman (Marsden), Bateson.

Around the Town: Yesterday, the board announced the terms of an agreement with our new senior affiliate, Salisbury City. The Conference Premier club can send us players on loan, at no obligation to us. We will also host them in an annual friendly from which we'll keep all the gate receipts. Hopefully, our connection with the Whites will put a little money in our coffers, and provide us with a talented young player from time to time.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:25 PM   #14
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

24 September 2013

Match Day 8

Rugby Town 2-2 Chertsey Town

Lewis Bergin (11)
Curtis Bateson (82)

When you're top of the league and the team that's second bottom in the table comes to your grounds, you have every right to expect three points. We got only one tonight, and it took a late equalizer to accomplish that much.

Perhaps a bit of a letdown was inevitable, after Saturday's Trophy tie and rivalry match rolled into one. Still, I'd have liked to see us put the match to bed early.

It looked like we might do just that, when Lewis Bergin lashed in a Justin Marsden corner to stake us to an early lead.

Then, just before the hour mark, Valley captain Andy Gudger made a horrible diagonal pass, deep in his own end. Jon Collins intercepted it, and two quick passes put the ball at the feet of striker Charlie Bagnall, who scored easily. Before long, the Curfews took the lead through substitute Don Connor.

I instructed the team to dial up the offensive pressure, and it worked. Alan Jenkinson, on for an injured Marsden, played in Curtis Bateson to level the score. We continued to scrap for another goal, but the Curfews weathered the storm.

We'll surely lose the league lead, once the other teams play their eighth matches.

Rugby Lineup: Bevan, Dalhouse (Austin), Bergin, Midgley, Gudger, Myles, Blythe, Lake-Gaskin (Dacres), Marsden (Jenkinson), Taylor, Bateson.

Around the Town

Ruddock Yala: D (C), age 21
We added another center half to our collection but, unlike Bergin and Tyler Guy, Ruddock is going to stay around. We've signed him to a pay-as-you-play deal. He comes to us from Harrow Borough (Isthmian Premier), where he wasn't getting much time. He'll get some with us; he's fit, he knows the art of marking, and he's good in the air.

Ruddock can fill in at right back and at defensive midfielder, too, making him even more useful.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 01-25-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #15
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

28 September 2013

Match Day 9

Beaconsfield SYCOB 1-2 Rugby Town

Kane Haysman (13, 90+3)
Kane Haysman (8.8)

The SYCOB in the name of today's opponent stands for Slough Youth Center Old Boys, and reflects the merger of that club with Beaconsfield United two decades ago. The Rams came into the match sitting in sixth, one place out of the playoffs, so they were certainly a tough opponent.

Curtis Bateson turned provider, setting up Kane Haysman to lob the Rams' 'keeper from just inside the eighteen. The home side got the equalizer moments before the end of the first half. For most of the rest of the afternoon, it looked like a draw was the likely outcome.

Haysman, who wore the armband today, would have none of that. Taking a pretty pass from substitute Seb Lake-Gaskin, he slotted home in "Fergie time," helping us to three important points.

A warm Valley welcome to Ruddock Yala, who came on for Aaron Dalhouse in the late stages of the match. Look for Ruddock to get a start sometime soon, as he works his way into match fitness.

I'm pleased with how things are going so far. We're on a run of seven games without a defeat and, what's more, the boys are playing the kind of football I want them to play. We've been difficult for most of our opponents to break down. We're taking good care of the ball, completing a very high percentage of our passes, working patiently for an opportunity and striking when our opponents provide one.

As things stand now, we're tied with Daventry Town on points (18), and have the edge over them by a single goal. The Dav Town Boys have, remarkably, conceded only two goals in eight league games.

Rugby Lineup: Bevan, Dalhouse (Yala), Guy, Midgley, Crooks, Blythe, Belcher, Kaziboni (Jenkinson), Haysman, Taylor (Lake-Gaskin), Bateson.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 01-26-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:25 PM   #16
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Nice, keep it up!
Old 01-27-2016, 07:53 AM   #17
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post
Nice, keep it up!

Thanks very much! We're on a good run so far. We'll probably lose the top spot once Aylesbury United play their eighth match. They're on 17 points now, one behind us.

Their only loss in league play came at our hands, when David Kolodynski hit them for four on the first day of the season.

Still, it's an outstanding start to the season. Nevertheless, I'm a little concerned that the Director of Football has put us in a position where we're overspending our wage budget by £350/week. I suppose I could have said "no" to the contracts, but part of the fun of this save is working with what is presented to me. Real managers find themselves in similar positions from time to time; I doubt if many managers have the kind of total control of every aspect of a club's operations that is possible in FM.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Hope you'll keep following.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:43 PM   #18
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Nevertheless, I'm a little concerned that the Director of Football has put us in a position where we're overspending our wage budget by £350/week. I suppose I could have said "no" to the contracts, but part of the fun of this save is working with what is presented to me. Real managers find themselves in similar positions from time to time; I doubt if many managers have the kind of total control of every aspect of a club's operations that is possible in FM.
I agree. I'm finding myself managing more and more like this in my own FM games. (By the way, I'm still playing FM14 as well, but mainly because they stopped selling Football Manager here in Japan - even on Steam - and I can't buy any of the newer ones.) It's an interesting challenge to delegate control of many tasks to my backroom staff and trust them with that, but like you said, that's probably how it works in real life. In my current save, I'm setting the starting lineup for each match and, of course, the tactics, and I handle team talks and press conferences, but I leave the rest to my staff. It forces me to pay careful attention to the staff members I bring in and their attributes, but it's a lot of fun when you get that staff member that really makes a difference in your club.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:40 PM   #19
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I agree. I'm finding myself managing more and more like this in my own FM games. (By the way, I'm still playing FM14 as well, but mainly because they stopped selling Football Manager here in Japan - even on Steam - and I can't buy any of the newer ones.) It's an interesting challenge to delegate control of many tasks to my backroom staff and trust them with that, but like you said, that's probably how it works in real life. In my current save, I'm setting the starting lineup for each match and, of course, the tactics, and I handle team talks and press conferences, but I leave the rest to my staff. It forces me to pay careful attention to the staff members I bring in and their attributes, but it's a lot of fun when you get that staff member that really makes a difference in your club.

I'm so jealous of you and everyone else that plays the FM games through steam. I've been told in no uncertain terms that I'm not allowed to download Steam on any of my computers as my computer tech can't stand Steam. It sucks but I guess it's a good thing as I wouldn't have time to play with everything else I have going on. Closest I'll get to a good soccer game is Fifa for PS4. Ick!
Old 01-27-2016, 08:43 PM   #20
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Thanks very much! We're on a good run so far. We'll probably lose the top spot once Aylesbury United play their eighth match. They're on 17 points now, one behind us.

Their only loss in league play came at our hands, when David Kolodynski hit them for four on the first day of the season.

Still, it's an outstanding start to the season. Nevertheless, I'm a little concerned that the Director of Football has put us in a position where we're overspending our wage budget by £350/week. I suppose I could have said "no" to the contracts, but part of the fun of this save is working with what is presented to me. Real managers find themselves in similar positions from time to time; I doubt if many managers have the kind of total control of every aspect of a club's operations that is possible in FM.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Hope you'll keep following.

When I was playing FM, I actually didn't play any of my games. I just don't have the knowledge nor did I have the time to choose lineups and strategy and play every game. Every once in a while I'd play a game just because I wanted a certain player starting that wouldn't have started otherwise, usually to keep someone happy. On the flip side, I did handle all roster moves as far as signing and releasing players. Keep up the good work. Man I miss FM!
Old 01-28-2016, 12:43 PM   #21
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Quote:
I agree. I'm finding myself managing more and more like this in my own FM games...In my current save, I'm setting the starting lineup for each match and, of course, the tactics, and I handle team talks and press conferences, but I leave the rest to my staff. It forces me to pay careful attention to the staff members I bring in and their attributes, but it's a lot of fun when you get that staff member that really makes a difference in your club.

I sometimes delegate my team talks to my assistant manager. His rating for Motivation is high. Sometimes the team talk feedback will tell me that a player "thinks the team talks are getting repetitive," and that's a good sign that I need to switch it up a little.

This time, I had my chairman hire my staff, except for a player-coach. I ended up with an Assistant Manager who is really good for our level, and a very good Head of Youth Development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegesportsfanms View Post
When I was playing FM, I actually didn't play any of my games. I just don't have the knowledge nor did I have the time to choose lineups and strategy and play every game. Every once in a while I'd play a game just because I wanted a certain player starting that wouldn't have started otherwise, usually to keep someone happy. On the flip side, I did handle all roster moves as far as signing and releasing players. Keep up the good work. Man I miss FM!

I've played many sports simulation games, both on the tabletop and on the computer, and FM is currently #1 on my all-time list. I had just started following soccer when I bought it, and at first I was at a complete loss when it came to tactics, team selection, etc. I learned quite a bit from watching the real sport on TV, and the more I learned, the more fun I had.

The light bulb came on above my head when I realized that, at least for me, a simple tactic works best. I began by thinking about the style of football I want my team to play, and chose my strategies based on that vision. The fewer instructions I give, the fewer variables I have to consider when things aren't going well and I want to make some changes. I'm also much less likely to give the players instructions that contradict each other.

I'll instruct my Director of Football to look for players with the attributes I want, and he takes it from there. It's very satisfying to build a team and watch it play well; it's also a fun challenge for me to figure out why it's not playing well and try to fix it.

Thanks for the comments, and feel free to visit and comment anytime.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:47 AM   #22
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 October 2013

My monthly review from the board went well, as you might expect considering our league position. We're expected to win promotion, and we're on pace to make the Promotion Playoff.

The board isn't breathing down my neck too hard about the wage bill, which surprises me. We are £356 over our budget, which is about £1800/week. That seems to me to be an unsustainable situation, and I've identified a player or two I could possibly have to cut loose if the board loses its patience with our free-spending ways. The only important player in the team who is under contract past the end of the season is David Kolodynski, so the budget-trimming might not occur until June.

There will be a delightful bit of drama connected to our next match, an FA Cup First Round Qualifying tie on the 5th. It turns out that our opponent will be none other than Redditch United, the club that bounced us out of the FA Cup last month.

After a miserable start, the Reds have found their form; they've lost only once since late August. They have a league match tomorrow, while we will enter the match with fresh legs. We'll face them on their grounds, just as we did last time.

I don't think it will be too difficult to motivate the lads on Saturday, do you?
Old 02-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #23
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Enjoyable format - keep it up!
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #24
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

5 October 2013

FA Trophy First Qualifying Round
Redditch United 0-4 Rugby Town

Curtis Bateson (35, 45+1, 54)
Sebastian Lake-Gaskin (65)

Curtis Bateson (9.6)

There was no reason for me to field anything less than a full-strength side at Valley Stadium today. We have a Birmingham Senior Cup tie on Wednesday, but I should be able to rest most of the regulars then.

We came out in our claret kit, which we don't wear often. Our morale was high, and the lads looked ready to play. From the opening whistle we controlled play very well, but neither we nor Redditch threatened to score until Chris Ablett held onto a crisp shot from Curtis Bateson on 35 minutes. We regained possession after Ablett punted the ball clear, and this time Redditch left Bateson unmarked. Bad move, Reds. Curtis took a pass from Rico Taylor and finished with ease.

Bateson struck again on the stroke of halftime, knocking home a perfect cross from Kane Haysman at Ablett's left post. Haysman's creativity made Curtis's job easy; he let a pass from Taylor roll into the area while he skipped past his marker, giving Bateson time to get into position for the finish.

We came out for the second half with a rush, and on 54, Bateson hammered home Taylor's cross to complete his hat trick--his second in two FA Trophy matches.

Seb Lake-Gaskin came on for Greg Kaziboni on the hour mark, and he quickly made it 4-0 to the Valley. Ablett made a beautiful diving stop from Taylor, but the ball caromed to SLG, and he lashed it in as Ablett tried heroically to get to his feet.

That's where the scoreline stayed until the final whistle. It was an extremely satisfying victory, a match in which we did everything well. Our defense limited the Reds to only three shots, and only one of those was on target.

We owed Redditch for the FA Cup, and I'd say we repaid them...and then some.

Rugby lineup: Bevan, Dalhouse, Gudger (Yala), Midgley, Crooks (Guy), Blythe, Belcher, Kaziboni (Lake-Gaskin), Haysman, Taylor, Bateson.

Around the Town
The wage bill grew a little bit more this week, when center back Rob Midgley turned 17 and signed his first professional contract. He'll earn £25/week, which isn't much, and for a player of Rob's quality, it's a very good deal for us. He's a regular in our first team.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 02-01-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #25
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Enjoyable format - keep it up!

Thank you very much, NoSkillz. I've read your Dover thread--it's been one of my inspirations as I've "searched" for a Football Manager story that would engage me enough for a good, long run. I think I might have found one here. I'm glad you're enjoying the format, because it's working for me, too.

I hope you'll keep following...stop by anytime.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:22 PM   #26
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Nice revenge beatdown of Redditch!
Old 02-02-2016, 10:01 AM   #27
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Quote:
Nice revenge beatdown of Redditch!

Thanks, bbgunn. That did feel good. But, as you'll soon see, our fortunes changed very quickly...

8 October 2013

Birmingham Senior Challenge Cup First Round

Gornal Athletic 3-1 Rugby Town

Paul Joyce (62)

Today's Birmingham Senior Challenge Cup tie took us to the village of Dudley, the birthplace of legendary Manchester United and England star Duncan Edwards. Big Dunc was among those killed when the plane carrying him and his Manchester United teammates crashed on takeoff from Munich's airport on a snowy February day in 1958. Edwards didn't turn out for our opponents, Gornal Athletic, today. They wouldn't have needed him.

In retrospect, I probably underestimated the strength and desire of our opponent. I'm not sure I could have fielded a stronger team anyway--what with a match three days earlier, and another league match on the weekend--but the Peacocks ran the side I chose off the pitch.

We got an early goal from young winger Paul Joyce, making his senior debut, but things disintegrated from there. Gornal substitute Martin Townsend came on at 62 minutes and netted three times in half an hour.

Niall Cooper got his first assignment between the posts for the senior team. One of Gornal's goals was his fault; he saved a shot from Townsend and promptly dropped the ball at the surprised Peacock forward's feet. After a moment's pause, Martin whacked the ball across Cooper's goal and in.

Kevin Parr, Dwight Smith, and Derek Thompson also made their debuts in today's match.

The first team will be back on the pitch at Royston Town on Saturday, and I'm looking for them to turn things around.

Rugby lineup: Cooper, Parr, Bergin, Anderton, Myles (Crooks), Georcelin, Smith (Miller) Kaziboni, Marsden, Joyce (Thompson), Lake-Gaskin.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 02-02-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #28
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

12 October 2013

Match Day 10
Royston Town 1-1 Rugby Town

Kane Haysman (pen 6)

Today we were away to Royston Town, a good side who entered the match fifth in the league--three places below us--and riding a streak of three straight victories.

The boys started the match on the front foot, with skipper Alex Gudger and goalkeeper David Bevan looking especially fired up. The claret-clad Rugbeians looked like a team on a mission, eager to avenge Tuesday's defeat.

Six minutes in, Royston fullback Taylor Parr brought Rico Taylor down in the penalty area, and Andre Marriner pointed to the spot. Kane Haysman did the honors, and we took an early 1-0 lead.

The Crows pulled level through captain Adrian Cambridge, the result of a defensive lapse and an opportunistic veteran who knew enough to put himself in the right spot at the right time.

That's the way it ended, and we left with a point. Not the result I might have liked, but a decent one, given the strength of our opposition and the fact we were on their grounds.

Rugby lineup: Bevan, Dalhouse, Gudger, Midgley, Crooks (Guy), Blythe, Belcher, Kaziboni (Lake-Gaskin), Haysman (Bywater), Taylor, Bateson.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 02-02-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #29
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Here's how the league table looks now:

Slough Town, with 7 points from 10 matches (1-4-5) is 22nd (bottom) of the league. They've scored 7 and conceded 19.

Our run of eight matches without defeat in Southern Division 1 play has us comfortably situated in the playoff places.

Daventry Town simply do not concede goals. They've kept six clean sheets in a row, after a 1-1 draw away to Aylesbury United on 18 September.

On the other hand, we're joint high scorers, although Uxbridge have played one more league match than we have.

Despite playing in only six league matches, David Kolodynski still leads in scoring, with 7 goals. He ranks second in average rating (7.30) to Kieran Knight of Uxbridge.

Our goalkeeper, David Bevan, has completed 84% of his passes, which is best in the league! Richard Blythe and Calvin Crooks are both over 80% in this category, too.

Rob Midgley has contributed 13 key headers, second in the league, and Kolodynski has 9. Midgley's 89 interceptions places him fourth.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 02-03-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #30
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

22 October 2013

Match Day 11

Rugby Town 3-1 Aylesbury

David Kolodynski (5, 63)
Kane Haysman (58)

David Kolodynski (8.8)

At home to Aylesbury, we expected to take all three points from a contest with the team that's second bottom of the table. I noticed Aylesbury have conceded a lot of goals off passes from wide areas of the pitch, so I instructed the players to exploit the flanks.

Our ten-day break was very welcome. It gave us the chance to re-introduce back two familiar faces, who hadn't been seen on the pitch for a while. David Kolodynski and Craig Tanner are recovered from their injuries, and returned to their familiar spots at striker and left back. I decided to try Curtis Bateson on the right wing today. It's not that I've had a problem with Greg Kaziboni; Bateson has been scoring for fun, and I hate to sit him down when he's in such good form.

Tanner and Kolodynski wasted no time asserting themselves. The match wasn't five minutes old before Tanner made a good run down the left flank and crossed for Kolodynski. Aylesbury 'keeper David Senior saved well from Kolodynski's header, but couldn't hold the ball, and when it caromed back to David, he scored an easy tap-in.

Right before the hour mark, the hapless Senior tried to collect a low cross from Tanner and fumbled it, allowing Kane Haysman to push it past him into the net.

The Rugby supporters barely had time to stop cheering before we launched a counter attack down the left side. Rico Taylor played in Kolodynski, and the striker completed his brace by firing inside Senior's far post. The goal was DK's tenth in all competitions.

Neither the rain that started falling late in the second half nor a pretty goal from Jonathan Constant--his sixth of the season--dampened the spirits of the crowd at Butlin Road.

Rugby lineup: Bevan, Dalhouse, Gudger, Midgley, Tanner (Crooks), Belcher, Blythe, Bateson, Haysman, Taylor, Kolodynski (Kaziboni).
Old 02-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #31
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

26 October 2013

Match Day 12

Rugby Town 1-0 Ashford Town (Middlesex)

David Kolodynski (52)

The Tangerines parked an entire fleet of buses in front of their goal today, and challenged us to find a way through it. We might have to get used to this type of strategy, especially when clubs battling relegation come to Butlin Road.

Ashford had the best chance in the first half, but David Bevan made a beautiful diving stop to deny Will Randall.

We finally broke the deadlock in the opening minutes of the second half. Michael Neish leaped to deal with a high cross from Greg Kaziboni, but the ball glanced off the tips of his gloves and continued on its path toward the far post. David Kolodynski and Ashford center back Sam Alsop went up for it. David got the better of the aerial duel and nodded the ball in.

The Tangerines battled bravely and gave us a few anxious moments after that, but when Ollie Cleaver was sent off for a second yellow card, I could finally take a deep breath and relax a bit.

Aaron Dalhouse took the armband today, and he was flattered to receive the honor.

Rugby lineup: Bevan, Dalhouse, Guy (Bergin), Yala, Crooks, Blythe, Belcher (Lake-Gaskin), Kaziboni, Bateson (Haysman), Taylor, Kolodynski.

Our victory puts us top of the league again!

Daventry Town lost 1-2 to Potters Bar Town, so they've dropped to third, two points behind Aylesbury United. Both of those clubs have a game in hand on us, however.

Two Southern Division One managers were sacked after today's matches. Barton Rovers, who are sitting second bottom, let Dan Kennoy go, and Kettering Town, who are sitting 12th after being picked to win the league by many, fired Dean Thomas.

Meanwhile, England have qualified for the World Cup, winning their qualifying group with ease.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 02-03-2016 at 02:40 PM.