Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #51
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
I'm a bit confused on the reserve driver situation as well. The tip suggests that you use practice to get your reserve driver some experience to improve his/her skills, but does the feedback from that driver apply only to the car that was driven or does it translate to how the main driver likes the car set up?

The main driver will use the information if you put them in the car that the reserve driver was in. My reserve driver has a better rating as far as getting information in qualifying, so I always put her in the car for qualifying and then put my 2nd driver in for the race. That information is still used when the other driver uses the car.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #52
kingfc22
Head Coach

Learned a hard lesson last night with the Safety Car. Since it was my first race with an accident occurring, I wasn't sure if the 1 lap left message meant the SC would pull into the pits or not. I tried to time it out so if I saw him stay out I would pit. Apparently when I pushed the pit button, we were already past the point of not being able to maneuver and of course the SC Warning for the next caution lap said "Heading to Garage". Good to know for next time.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:07 AM   #53
Capital
High School Varsity

Just bought the game, in the game settings there is an option for Career Session Length, anyone know what this means?

It's defaulted to medium.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #54
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
Just bought the game, in the game settings there is an option for Career Session Length, anyone know what this means?

It's defaulted to medium.

The number of laps per race, the longest one is the more realistic and imho the best one to set strategies etc.

Last edited by Icy : 11-19-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #55
Capital
High School Varsity

Thanks - medium sounds about right
Old 11-19-2016, 10:12 AM   #56
Capital
High School Varsity

Or, do others here use the short length?
Old 11-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #57
hollmt
High School Varsity

short is awful. long is the best and really not that much longer in time than medium especially during the times you speed times 3 it. try it out and see. it allows for much better strategy than medium.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:37 PM   #58
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Have been using medium. May try another career and use long just to see how different.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:26 AM   #59
Icy
Pro Starter

I use long as I like the strategic part of deciding about fuel, tires etc.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #60
Capital
High School Varsity

Do you think that the idea with the green drivers recommendation bars on the car balance is to be in the middle of the bars? Hard to know exactly what we are trying to accomplish here. Any thoughts?
Old 11-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #61
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

It's an ok starting place. But often an excellent setup will be near one of the edges for the bars.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:23 AM   #62
hollmt
High School Varsity

As nilodor said and I tried to explain in one of my other posts, try to hit the edge of the bar that is closest to the middle, while keeping the other bars as close to the edge that is closest to center as well.

This way,when the driver comes in and if he/she doesn't like that setup, you know to go the other way (either left or right). If you start in the middle on all the bars and he/she is unhappy, you don't really know which way to go and have to guess.

I have been doing this setup strat and am hitting over 90% optimization on my drivers now. I hit 98% on Santa Ana and 95% with Evans in race 3 and you can tell the difference on race performance.

Speaking of using long races. Your strategy comes into play much more. Race 5 was a 33 lap long race. During practice I hit level 3 soft tire knowledge. Santa Ana can hit 31-33 laps on soft with 14 gallons per tank. So, I did a long strat on that race, meaning I planned on using only 1 set of tires the entire race. Pitted 2 times for fuel because I gunned it most the race (I used Santa Ana 'nursing' ability and tire knowledge). She got 3rd since we only had to pit for fuel while others pitted 2 times and pitted for tires at least once or maybe 2 times because they started on super softs or even softs and were unable to stretch the tires out. First podium and it felt like an accomplishment to me. The other race lengths also have some strategy but I really feel I can use strategy more in long races as well as the driver abilities actually coming through. Santa Ana being able to nurse the car, mean she could gun it on fuel and since I've also been building up reliability of parts, I wouldn't have to fix those parts mid race.

Last edited by hollmt : 11-20-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #63
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Also enjoying this game -- a lot. The original Civ and Railroad Tycoon probably has most of my total gaming hours, followed very closely by the original FOF. (If you count the other four versions I bought then FOF is the clear winner.) I don't know if this will approach those games time-wise, but playing the hell out of it since I bought it.

Have been playing Medium length in the European racing league, so I will start a career using Long length to see if I like it better..
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:39 AM   #64
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Have been using medium. May try another career and use long just to see how different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Have been playing Medium length in the European racing league, so I will start a career using Long length to see if I like it better..

FYI, you can change to Long mid-game. You don't have to start a new career to change.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #65
Capital
High School Varsity

Enjoying this game - glad I made the purchase. Does anyone really care or do much with the reserve driver. If I have 2 pretty good main drivers, what purpose is the reserve? I use the main drivers for practice because I want their feedback and the more knowledge they gain, the better for the race.

It's possible that I'm missing something, hence the post.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #66
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Enjoying this game - glad I made the purchase. Does anyone really care or do much with the reserve driver. If I have 2 pretty good main drivers, what purpose is the reserve? I use the main drivers for practice because I want their feedback and the more knowledge they gain, the better for the race.

It's possible that I'm missing something, hence the post.

1) You can use the reserve driver on practice to improve their ratings as well or if they just have better feedback than one of your other drivers.
2) You can scout and find a pay driver. Pay drivers have auto sponsors that will pay you just to drive them. 100% if you drive them during the race and 50% if you drive them during practice. Good way to grab a bit more $$$, especially if you are Predator. There is a pay driver you can grab relatively cheap if you want to go that route.
3) Probably good to use your reserve driver during practice anyway, just to improve ratings (even slowly) just in case of injuries. Not that I've came across any injuries, but I am sure it is possible.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #67
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Like most of you guys, I've been playing as Predator. Finally got my first podium finish (3rd) with Santa Ana. Granted, I actually finished 4th, but the guy who won was docked several spots for an illegal part. I was pretty fired up.

My setup strategy is to setup what I think is best for the track, send them out and immediately call them in. I continue to do this until I get everything at good or better, then I send them out for the smallest stint available. I make final adjustments as necessary. I usually get at least two excellents and a great using this method, so it seems to work for me.

If you get tire knowledge during practice, I am assuming that the 5% performance increase is for that tire only, correct? Also, how in the world do you get level 3 knowledge? I can't get to 2 even if I run them almost the whole practice. I am playing medium length races, so I don't know if that affects the amount of practice time you get.

And I will second the pay driver strategy. I think I found the driver hollmt is talking about. He/She is comparable to Santa Ana, and the $$$ you can make is a huge help. My only problem is that I signed this driver to an equal contract, so I have to be careful with fitting parts to keep their cars pretty equal, or they get upset.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #68
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
If you get tire knowledge during practice, I am assuming that the 5% performance increase is for that tire only, correct? Also, how in the world do you get level 3 knowledge? I can't get to 2 even if I run them almost the whole practice. I am playing medium length races, so I don't know if that affects the amount of practice time you get.

It depends a lot on your feedback level for your drivers. My current team has one driver at 15, the other at 12. On shorter course we can max out our understanding. Also the number of times you come in greatly reduces track time.

Also just an FYI, when developing parts only the base improvement carries over to the next season. So if your engine is rated 200/200, then you develop a part that gives you +20 and +40 to max, if you carry it over to the next season it will be rated 220 not 240 even if you improve it with your mechanics. There's a good guide on steam that describes this better.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #69
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Bought this last night after watching a bunch of Aarava videos on it.

Can't wait to dig in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #70
Capital
High School Varsity

So what happens at the end of a season? I'm at race 6 playing predator. Do I keep the same car, buy a new car, what about the parts?

I thought that I read that your car essentially goes back to original parts at the end of a season. If that's the case, wouldn't it be wise to start saving money at the end of a season. Just trying to plan for season 2 wisely - without starting over, which I probably should do since it's my first time through.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:22 PM   #71
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

At the end of the season you have options of different manufacturers to use for the different parts (the more expensive the better possible default result). Then you get to repaint the car and prepare for the season.

I messed up and hit continue after that and it took me past several days. I should have immediately went to the improve parts section and started working on the parts. Instead I think that put me a little behind at the start of my second season.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #72
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
So what happens at the end of a season? I'm at race 6 playing predator. Do I keep the same car, buy a new car, what about the parts?

I thought that I read that your car essentially goes back to original parts at the end of a season. If that's the case, wouldn't it be wise to start saving money at the end of a season. Just trying to plan for season 2 wisely - without starting over, which I probably should do since it's my first time through.
I believe a couple of your best parts carry over the next season. So let's say you invest in engine design and it has a performance rating of 120. That part will carry over to the next season. The reliability may be at 40% the next year, but you don't start with the original engine from Season 1. You can also change how much you are budgeting per race from the Finances tab. There are three levels, and this money goes toward purchasing your base chassis at the beginning of the new season. Also, expect your Season 2 base chassis to be worse than the one from Season 1. Maybe the vendors are different based on how much money you have allocated to the new chassis, but my base car choices have been pretty poor. At least this is what I think happens; I've mostly played Season 1 a couple of times, and barely got into a second season.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:42 PM   #73
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I jumped right into the Predator Challenge...first race 18th & 19th respective but only cause another driver retired.

I am doing long races and didn't see a single yellow flag. That was a bit of a bummer!

Old 11-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #74
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
I jumped right into the Predator Challenge...first race 18th & 19th respective but only cause another driver retired.

I am doing long races and didn't see a single yellow flag. That was a bit of a bummer!

I run medium races, but I think I only see yellow flags about once every 2-3 races. They are not real common.

I finished 17th and 18th my first race, but was fortunate enough to have two drivers retire. Keep in mind you have the worst car, the worst drivers, and the worst staff. Get your scout looking for a new driver ASAP. At this level, the drivers can make a big difference. I prefer looking for a pay driver to get some extra cash, and then I can immediately start designing new parts. Also, get your mechanics working on improving your original parts immediately.

I'm almost at the end of season 1. My car and drivers are still rated the worst, but I have managed a podium finish, and am battling for 8th in the team standings. Santa Ana is currently sitting 11th in the standings for me, and my other new driver is up to 18th even though they have only run part of the season. I'm hoping season 2 I can start to contend for around middle of the pack team finish.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:30 AM   #75
hollmt
High School Varsity

Yeah, getting those parts to the best reliability is extremely important as you will spend time in the pits repairing your parts and if you can at least minimize part fixing mid race, you can shave off some time.

Santa Ana has the nice perk of 'nurse' that I use and then I give her the least reliable parts to help offset that. She can also overtake on engine w/o destroying parts as well, so that is another idea to consider.

I've had one or 2 races with 2 yellow flags. They help. I've had one of my drivers wreck and be out of the race extremely early as well.

I am learning another trick. I was starting each race out with a full tank of gas. BAD. WRONG. MISTAKE. Since you are going to be burning through those tires to start and they will not get you even the minimum life, but probably 50% of that, only put in that much fuel as well. Overtake and Aggressive, get those tires warm and they will fall apart anyway from the aggressiveness and come back in and then put the new tires on again as everyone has spread out some. Then you can settle in and strategize your fuel and tire plan.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #76
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Patch out today.

Motorsport Manager on Linux and first patch :: Motorsport Manager Landing Page

Quote:
- Improved weather simulation
- Fixed car water spray appearing too early, it now appears when the track is wet enough for inters or wet weather tyres
- Improved blue flag AI
- Improved AI switching to intermediates and wets
- Fixed a standings demotions bug relating to parts being banned
- Fixed an issue where maximum performance was not being taken into consideration on new season car parts
- Fixed initial game car stats
- Fixed a bug where if practice ended with rain, the first screen that showed the race was also raining, even if the weather was sunny
- Fixed an issue where changes to the livery were not reflected in race (still showed the default livery)
- Fixed an issue where cars would repeatedly jump positions in standings without overtaking cars
- Fixed an issue where if a driver won a race, but got demoted due to illegal parts being discovered, the social media still thought they had won.
- Fixed issues with promise traits
- Extra Wide screen support for car design screen
- Fixed incorrect team orders commentary message where driver who is allowing the other to pass actually overtakes the other driver.
- Fixed the triggering of the "Blag Flag" achievement
- Fixed an issue where the safety car would sometimes not return properly to the pit
- Fixed an issue where the celebrity dating trait thread had missing variables
- Fixed instances where the financial graph stopped working
- Fixed an issue where the 5% discount for the player financial background wasn't being taken into account when calculating whether or not the player could afford something
- Fixed an issue where the chairman would expect unrealistic placement targets after a promotion
- Fixed cars clipping underneath the pit floor in Black Sea
- Fixed AI braking sharply when going past a car exiting the pits
- Fixed Drivers giving opposite downforce feedback during practice
- Added a lap counter for selected driver
- Can no longer vote for a new race location if that location already appears twice in the race calendar
- Fixed an issue where the chairman's happiness would decrease even if the race was won
- Fixed an issue where the game music would stop after saving and autosaving
- Removed redundant votes (e.g voting to increase qualifying time even if the series doesn't have qualifying)
- Fixed an issue where the race would not end with two cars in the pitlane
- Fixed multiple game crash bugs
Old 11-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #77
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Patch out today.

- Fixed an issue where maximum performance was not being taken into consideration on new season car parts

May change how I develop the car during the season
Old 11-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #78
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
May change how I develop the car during the season

May have to re-start now.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #79
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Picked up a real good driver to join the Predator team...first race starting in the poll position he was wire to wire leader by a long way before engine failure with 2 laps to go...devastating!

He also injured his neck...so he took a major skill hit which looks like will impact him the rest of season 1.

I am addicted and I am not really a racing fan.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #80
SirBlurton
High School Varsity

Oh, man, this patch plus FOF8....will it be possible to do both in different windows? Decisions, decisions....
SirBlurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #81
PilotMan
Head Coach

You guys are killing me. I'm trying to wait on this one, but it's damn near impossible.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:50 PM   #82
SirBlurton
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
You guys are killing me. I'm trying to wait on this one, but it's damn near impossible.

No reason to wait post patch (assuming the patch did everything it says).

This is one of my favorite games....maybe of all time, for sure of the past couple of years. It's a tiny bit limited but everything works and is polished and fun!

Soooo....Jump! Jump! Jump!

Old 11-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #83
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I will say that it's crushing Civ6 for playtime right now
Old 11-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #84
Icy
Pro Starter

Awesome! The patch has fixed all the issues that were reported at the forums! Going to start my first serious career tonight!

Old 11-23-2016, 10:23 PM   #85
kingfc22
Head Coach

Water on track accumulates much, much faster post patch.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 11-23-2016 at 10:24 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:34 AM   #86
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Water on track accumulates much, much faster post patch.

Didn't even know about the patch, and noticed this last night. My first race of season two, we all actually ended up using wets for the first time ever!

This game really is fantastic. There are a few things I wish where different (some easier, some harder), but overall fun.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:11 AM   #87
PilotMan
Head Coach

I broke down a got it and it's better than I even expected.

Like Steam?

Old 11-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #88
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yeah, very happy with the post-patch game. As Icy said, it fixed the little issues I was having with it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #89
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Race #5 in Season won I got my first win! Lead the entire race, my 2nd driver did a great job of slowing down the field and it was never close.

Obviously I brought a new driver that shouldn't be racing at this level but we are also paying a premium for him. Santa Ana is now causing some drama.

Great game so far

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #90
SirBlurton
High School Varsity

Quote:
I broke down a got it and it's better than I even expected.

One of us! One of us! One of us!
Old 11-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #91
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Got my first win, almost a double podium (other driver was 4th)!!!
Old 11-24-2016, 08:35 PM   #92
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Just finished my first season...got a huge windfall of sponsorship money with 3M in upfront bonuses and heading into the final race had a bonus worth >2M with a top 2 finish. However my best driver who was top 5 pretty consistently had a house fire and that rattled him so we finished 12th/14th.

My only complaint is it rains too often..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2016, 09:17 PM   #93
kingfc22
Head Coach

I'd second the it rains too often as my only complaint post patch.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:31 AM   #94
PilotMan
Head Coach

First season with ZRT in the tier 3 Euro Tour, the best we've placed is 11th and then in the 5th race of the season we have a great start, great tactics, and pull off a 1-2 finish. Not bad for a team that was supposed to finish 9th in the constructors for the year.

So now we've got the first win and podium out of the way, let's see how we can build on this.

Practice is super critical. Managing tire and engine wear is great in the race. There are so many variables and they all seem executed very well in the game. It's really impressive. This is the racing game I've always wanted. Damn it's that good.

Like Steam?

Old 11-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #95
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I'm in my third season now, first in the Asia series, with Octane racing. Had a couple of point scoring finishes. I made a bit of an error retaining a 3 star driver (3.5 potential) as they are one of the worst in the series, but my other driver is developing nicely. Been consistently finishing in the top 10 with occasional points. Had a wild race in belgium where I was well back with both cars (started 19 & 20th) worked our way upto 12 & 13 with about 6 laps remaining. Then I checked the weather and a huge deluge was inbound, I stacked both cars in the pits and went inters. Everyone else went wets and we were about 15 seconds a lap faster, then the track went soaked and we were 7 or 8 seconds a lap slower, and started losing positions. The drivers were begging for wets, but I held them on inters and as the track dried out we reeled in most of the cars infront of us an wound up with 2nd and 4th. Super wild race, lots of fun.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:46 AM   #96
Flasch186
Coordinator

I wish they'd make a Nascar game like this.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:17 PM   #97
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Agreed.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #98
BYU 14
Coordinator

Holy crap this game is fun, meant to tinker around with it before going out to paint the popouts around house. That was 3 hours ago!!

Love the balance and the testing runs are awesome. Will be running my third race later (after painting) and think I have a good setup going in for both drivers, though one is happier than the other.

First race finished 17th and 18th, second race I paid attention to the track traits more. Took my #1 driver to a 4th place finish, but got penalized two spots after the race due to a sketchy gear box that was then banned

My #2 driver was with the #1 for a bit, but fell off quickly, then completely lost it after another driver hit him from behind and I had to bring him in and replace the rear wing. He spent a couple of laps radioing how he wanted to punch the Brazilian in the face that hit him, as he slogged home to a 17th place finish.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #99
PilotMan
Head Coach

The thing that really makes this game awesome is that every single variable seems like it has an impact. Race strategy works like it's supposed to, qualifying and practice is important to get those fixes in and try and beat the timeline to get that last flyer lap going. The subtle differences between tires, the constant changing of engine modes and aggressive driving all works. It's really impressive for a first gen game.

Like Steam?

Old 11-25-2016, 06:58 PM   #100
scoman
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I wish they'd make a Nascar game like this.

Suppose to have steam workshop at some point,and a editor for the game at some point, there are some Mods available now,maybe someone will make a Nascar Mod in the Future....

Motorsport Manager Mods | RaceDepartment
scoman is offline   Reply With Quote