Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-01-2018, 07:06 AM   #51
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ansel Elgort would have made a perfect solo. Though the guy they got was better than I expected. At least this movie gave Chewbacca some sort of personality. Thought that was a bright spot.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #52
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Solo Continues to Nosedive at Box Office

I wonder why this movie failed. Franchise fatigue? Alienated fan base? Troubled production? Movie fatigue from Avengers and DeadPool 2?

Imagine if someone came to you 10 years ago and told you that a DeadPool movie would outperform a Star Wars movie.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:25 PM   #53
CarterNMA
Mascot

I think some of the nosedive is in part due to the negative press surrounding it already. Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy kind of thing courtesy of social media. Shows the importance of opening weekend these days.

I think it's a good movie for the most part. Better than Rogue One. Only major beef I have with it is how the parsec thing is explained but not really demonstrated.
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #54
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterNMA View Post
I think it's a good movie for the most part. Better than Rogue One.

You've seen both movies and this is your thought? That seems...crazy to me.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #55
CarterNMA
Mascot

Well that's easy to explain:
I had a major gripe with Rogue One in that the Jyn just seemed like a Rey clone (pun intended). An orphan who had it rough but now she's a bad-ass? So soon after Episode VII? Kind of some weak writing there.

And the blind guy. That character just...sigh. And as enjoyable as K2 was at the beginning, it was a bit overdone.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #56
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Fair criticisms, though I loved Chirrut (the blind guy) personally.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:22 PM   #57
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Haven't seen Solo yet though I will soon, but what's most interesting to me is whether Ep. IX ends up being successful at the level the others have been, or whether this is a sign of the Star Wars franchise weakening more seriously.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:29 AM   #58
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think the main story movies will continue to do well.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #59
CarterNMA
Mascot

Quote:
I think some of the nosedive is in part due to the negative press surrounding it already. Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy kind of thing courtesy of social media. Shows the importance of opening weekend these days.

I think it's a good movie for the most part. Better than Rogue One. Only major beef I have with it is how the parsec thing is explained but not really demonstrated.

Over the weekend I was reminded of one of the other things I didn't like about Solo. That four-armed creature that was on Woody Harelson's team? Struck me as a discount Rocket Raccoon.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #60
whomario
Pro Starter

I kinda think this would have been a bigger draw and possibly a better movie (for it's time) if it would have been done closer to the original movies way back when, if that makes sense.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #61
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I thought Solo was good. Similar to Rogue One, definitely better by a mile than The Last Jedi. Basically just another example of how, what popular culture loves I generally think is trash, and vice versa.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #62
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe if Lucasfilm and employees would stop insulting the fan base then perhaps there would be more enthusiasm for the fan base.

Focusing on better story telling and not pushing identity politics (or at least do it more subtly) would help also.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:17 AM   #63
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Maybe if Lucasfilm and employees would stop insulting the fan base then perhaps there would be more enthusiasm for the fan base.

Focusing on better story telling and not pushing identity politics (or at least do it more subtly) would help also.

The Lucas movies were oozing with politics. The OT was Lucas' statement against the Vietnam War and the prequels were his statement against the war on terror.

Personally, I'd love for Star Wars to be able shed the portion of the fanbase that sees the Disney moves as an attack on white america or whatever. The ones that drove Kelly Marie Tran off social media with bullying and harassment.

Last edited by molson : 06-12-2018 at 12:18 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #64
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I never saw the OT as a statement against Vietnam. That one may have to be explained to me. I know there was some anti-Bush stuff in the prequels but I never saw it as heavy handed.

But now you have the writer of Solo admitting he pushed identity politics and trolling the fans over it. Kathleen Kennedy wants the movies to be more preachy. And if anyone complains about the movies they are labeled as sexist, white supremacist, bigoted by the higher ups at Lucasfilm. Didn't like the Leia Mary Poppins scene in the Last Jedi? You must hate women.

I'll agree with you that there is a very small but very loud portion of the fanbase who are jerks. I don't know what they posted to get that actress off of social media (nor do I want to wade into that filth) but they've been around forever. Jake Lloyd and to a lesser extent Hayden Christiansen(sp?) had to deal with the same jack-asses.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #65
molson
General Manager

I'm not sure what you mean by "identity politics" in the context of star wars movies, but when I Google it, it seems to be a code word for a resentment of women being given stronger roles than in the original trilogy. Is that what you're talking about it or was there another political message that offended you?

Edit: I thought the Vietnam themes and imagery were very evident in Return of the Jedi in particular, and Lucas has stated more directly since than that the OT was about Vietnam. He's also specifically said that while Emperor Palpatine was initially inspired by Richard Nixon, he evolved into Dick Cheney by the prequals, and that Anakin/Darth Vader was George Bush (could that possibly have been any more loaded with lines like, "if you're not with me, then you're my enemy" right after 9/11, while Anakin follows Cheney/Palpatine into a war manufactured to justify military escalation and authoritarian rule?) I remember that stuff being talked about a little bit at the time, but the franchise was probably lucky this was pre-reddit, etc. where that kind of opposition could be easily organized.

Star Wars as Allegory for the Vietnam War … or How Not to Offend Anyone | FUTURE of STAR WARS

Star Wars Is More Political Than You Think | HuffPost

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/...nal-star-wars/

https://nypost.com/2014/09/21/how-st...st-of-vietnam/

I think all filmmakers are going to tell stories from their perspectives and what matters to them. And in 2018, whether it's Marvel, Star Wars, or A24, casts are going to be more diverse and going to have stronger and more varied roles for women. I can understand the Krasdens' amusement as some people being freaked out by that - and that's what he was talking about. Not Star Wars being "preachy," but simply being more diverse racially and gender-wise. (And let's remember that Lawerence Kasden wrote Empire Strikes Back too - so he has some claim in framing the voice of Han Solo in the first place). If he decides that young Han is going to respect some woman as a rebel leader or consider some other woman his equal, that's as legitimate a part of Solo's character than whatever angsty fans on the internet think. The Lucas films were very progressive for their time, and the Disney movies are somewhat progressive for theirs.

Last edited by molson : 06-12-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #66
Kodos
Resident Alien

My brother-in-law seems to have a problem with women having a higher profile in the new movies. Probably doesn't like the more diverse/less white male casts as well. He's a bit of a control freak with his wife, so I think he just has issues with women not being subordinate to men. Otherwise he's a cool enough guy, so I just try to look past that stuff.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #67
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
...a lot of stuff...

The biggest gripe I've heard in that direction is the humanization of Droids and Droid rights being way too front and center.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 06-12-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #68
TecmoBoJackson
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
My brother-in-law seems to have a problem with women having a higher profile in the new movies. Probably doesn't like the more diverse/less white male casts as well. He's a bit of a control freak with his wife, so I think he just has issues with women not being subordinate to men. Otherwise he's a cool enough guy, so I just try to look past that stuff.

... or maybe TfA was hamfisted political garbage, and it's OK to not like it.

I thought Solo was pretty good, and I thought the droid rights angle was more satirical than serious, and it didn't bother me at all.
TecmoBoJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #69
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I think all filmmakers are going to tell stories from their perspectives and what matters to them. And in 2018, whether it's Marvel, Star Wars, or A24, casts are going to be more diverse and going to have stronger and more varied roles for women.

I figure I must be missing something obvious. Wth is A24?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #70
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I figure I must be missing something obvious. Wth is A24?

Smaller-budget studio that put out movies like Lady Bird, the Florida Project, Moonlight, the Lobster, etc. But you could replace them with just about any other studio, I was just looking for an obvious counter to Disney. In 2018 there's going to be more varied female leads, more diversity in leading roles than there was 40 years ago. And of course, modern movies are going to reflect modern social themes in a way movies from 40 years obviously wouldn't (though they had their own themes that mirrored that time and place).

Last edited by molson : 06-12-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #71
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

Definitely a pre-defined narrative imho - especially as its 'drop off' is actually lower than happened for the Last Jedi (66% vs 67%) so hardly like it dropped off a cliff in comparison to prior Star Wars movies.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:27 PM   #72
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I am not sure ANH can be called allegorical. If he wants to claim RotJ, I am on board.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:08 AM   #73
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I didn't understand why they were saying that solo was tracking for some really insane high opening weekend of like a hundred seventy million dollars. Obviously the budget got screwed up because of the reshoots. I actually enjoyed solo more than the Last Jedi. I think the Last Jedi turned a lot of people off and this just came out too close to it. I actually hope they keep making Solo movies but I don't think it's a sure thing.

Like someone said, this wasn't really a passion project, it was just a movie that was fairly enjoyable.

Last edited by stevew : 06-13-2018 at 04:12 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:15 AM   #74
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Definitely a pre-defined narrative imho - especially as its 'drop off' is actually lower than happened for the Last Jedi (66% vs 67%) so hardly like it dropped off a cliff in comparison to prior Star Wars movies.

Part of the reason Last Jedi's drop off was so steep is because its 2nd weekend included Christmas Eve, which is a traditionally low attendance movie day. It went on to have a huge Monday (XMAS day) and then only dropped 26.6% in its 3rd weekend, while Solo dropped 46.4% in its 3rd weekend.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 06-13-2018 at 07:16 AM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #75
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think the media uses results to fit their narrative. The right is using the slower numbers as a reason to keep liberal politics out of Star Wars. The left is saying the movie was terrible and that's why. I just don't see either angle. I actually really enjoyed Solo, but I wasn't trying to make it out to more than it was: a fun little orgin side story about Han Solo.

I think these tangent movies will be hit or miss when it comes to mass appeal. The media came out pretty hard against Solo and there wasn't the mass selling that Rogue One had from all sources. The main movies will continue to kill and the ancillary films will do worse - depending on the initial feedback and perceived tie in to the main story.

One final point is remember that there 10 years between the Sith and Force Awakens. Lucas could have released Chewbacca reading a grocery list and it would have hit $200 mil in the opening weekend. I think Rogue One piggy backed off that Star Wars interest the next year. With Solo, we've had 4 movies in the past 4 years and that initial wave of interest has subsided.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:45 AM   #76
MrBug708
Head Coach

Saw it. Enjoyed it.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:10 PM   #77
Warhammer
Pro Starter

OK, I just saw The Last Jedi today with my 16 year old. We both hated it. He wanted to stop watching it after 15 minutes gave it a shot, and almost turned it off after 45 minutes. I gave it a better shot than he did, but it was bad. As we discussed, it was essentially a sub par rehash of The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi with a couple of twists. The worst part was how they changed some of the characters.

So why I am posting this under the Solo topic is had I watched TLJ before I watched Solo, there was no way I was going to watch Solo. Being the demographic they were shooting for with that movie, how many other fans of the original movies saw TLJ and said they were not going to another Star Wars movie? Both my 16 year old and I are likely not going to see or pick up the next movie when it comes out after the wreck of TLJ. Expanded universe movies we may go see depending upon how it looks.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote