The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #203
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Remember... we have never won a Stanley Cup and haven't been to a SCF in 49 years, so STL is going nuts and for good reason.

The Enterprise Center has a brand new Jumbotron that can be seen perfectly from any seat and of course Busch Stadium has a nice big scoreboard.

They do charge $10 per ticket for the Enterprise Center and $20 for Busch Stadium with reduced drink and food prices. Since the Enterprise Center sold out in 20 minutes, they figured they would open up Busch Stadium. The cool thing is, all the proceeds go to charities.

We thought about going.. but we have some friends without a nice TV and little money, so we figured let's have a party at our house and we will cook food and have drinks. I just purchased a 55" LG 4K TV last year and hockey looks excellent on it. (plus I have surround sound)
Does it happen for the Cardinals too? Maybe part of it's weather related - when the Patriots or Red Sox are in big games, no one wants to be outside in a stadium unless it's live, and when the Bruins or Celtics are in one everyone is so excited it's over 60 people don't want to inside? Idk.

Brutal ending to that period. Bruins dominating but being down 1 is one thing, lazy shit by Marchand under 10 seconds left. (Or I could troll and say big mistake by Pietrangelo to score - a 2 goal lead is the worst lead in hockey according to superstitious idiots!)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #204
tarcone
Coordinator

No. When the Cards are in the series it is ho hum. This is new. And the frustrating way the Blues always lose makes this even more special.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #205
tarcone
Coordinator

My heart is racing

Old 06-12-2019, 09:22 PM   #206
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Binnington is ridiculous.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:24 PM   #207
PilotMan
Head Coach

Holy shit.

This Bruins offense is just controlling everything, and they are pressing so hard that the Blues are just getting that one bullet to go when they get the chance on the other end. It's crazy that the Bruins are being shut out right now, but feels good.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #208
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow can't believe the incredibly unemotional and lack of "go get the cup" the Bruins came out with. I have never been a Cassidy fan. Also Rask choking in clutch SC moments is his legacy.

Last edited by Galaril : 06-12-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:29 PM   #209
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I actually don't think Binnington has been *that* amazing tonight - I think there's a lot of half chances for the Bruins where the puck rolled just too far, or was on the backhand instead of the forehand, but that pad save (& the armpit save) was ridiculous and the Schenn goal might've finished it. Barring a miracle congrats to the Blues! I'd still go with O'Reilly over Binnington for Conn Smythe.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:30 PM   #210
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Wow can't believe the incredibly unemotional and lack of "go get the cup" the Bruins came out with. I have never been a Cassidy fan. Also Rask choking in clutch SC moments is his legacy.

Is that honestly what you saw in this game?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:33 PM   #211
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's nice to see the complete disappointment on Boston fan's faces. I think the last hope just left the building.

Like Steam?

Old 06-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #212
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Hahahaha what? Bruins dominated minutes like 17-4 of the first period, and have been the more aggressive team tonight. This is a soccer game where the counter-attacking team gets fewer, but slightly better chances, and converts them.

And are you blaming Tuuka for a specific goal, or the fact the Bruins have been shutout? He's been our best player in the playoffs, get out of here with that nonsense.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #213
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Hahahaha what? Bruins dominated minutes like 17-4 of the first period, and have been the more aggressive team tonight. This is a soccer game where the counter-attacking team gets fewer, but slightly better chances, and converts them.

And are you blaming Tuuka for a specific goal, or the fact the Bruins have been shutout? He's been our best player in the playoffs, get out of here with that nonsense.

yeah.

I am totally unbiased and don't see how anyone watched that game and didn't think the Bruins threw everything they had at the Blues and Binnington stole it. Not on player on the Bruins has anything to be ashamed of.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #214
Galaril
Pro Starter

They lost 4-1 your explanation is what?

Last edited by Galaril : 06-12-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:47 PM   #215
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
They lost 4-1 your explanation is what?

see above
Old 06-12-2019, 09:49 PM   #216
PilotMan
Head Coach

redo that game with the same shots and chances and Boston wins better than 2/3rds of the time, at least. They have nothing to be ashamed of.

Like Steam?

Old 06-12-2019, 09:49 PM   #217
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

I watched the game and despite them outshooting the Blues the Blues looked in control with hits and Bennington's play. Maybe my frustration is getting the best of me. I won't take anything away from St. Louis fans. Good for them.
Rask I do believe he got blamed for the 2014 collapse against Blackhawks.

Last edited by Galaril : 06-12-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:58 PM   #218
tarcone
Coordinator

I agree the Bruins comtrolled the game until desperation time. Binnoongton stood on his head and the Blues capitalized.

STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES

Old 06-12-2019, 11:29 PM   #219
Arles
Grey Dog Software

What a crazy game. Binnington was the star of the game, but O’Reilly was the rock for the playoffs. I don’t think he had one bad game and scored in the last 4 Cup games. What a win for the Blues and it took everything they had to beat the Bruins!
Old 06-12-2019, 11:48 PM   #220
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Great win Blues fans. Enjoy the Cup!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:30 AM   #221
molson
General Manager

The Bruins played very well for chunks, but I didn't feel like that many of their chances, especially early, were really great chances. The shot numbers were a little padded. It wasn't until later that I thought Binnington just got ridiculous. The Blues got it done.

Bad news (for me): The Bruins blow game 7

Good news (for me): My girlfriend is super into hockey now. We went to the Bruins' home opener back in October, and she's watched the last 9 or so playoff games. She was talking tonight about wanting to get partial season tickets for the Idaho Steelheads next year (ECHL team and possibly soon to be AHL affiliate of expansion Seattle franchise - hope they keep $2 beer Wednesdays if promoted).

Disappointing but nice to have clear game 7 winner. Go Blues. Happy for the longtime fans.

Last edited by molson : 06-13-2019 at 01:52 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:56 AM   #222
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
My girlfriend is super into hockey now. We went to the Bruins' home opener back in October, and she's watched the last 9 or so playoff games.

Playoff hockey (ECHL) with a deep run was what got my son hooked at a pretty early age. It's as good a way as I know of to make someone a fan.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #223
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Rask I do believe he got blamed for the 2014 collapse against Blackhawks.
There was a weird segment that blamed Tuukka, and he had one bad game there (6-5 OT loss in game 4), but overall in those playoffs he had a .940 save % & 1.88 GAA. .934 & 2.02 these playoffs.

If there's a "star" Bruins player to blame, I'd throw it at Marchand for that lazy ass play and lack of clock awareness with under 10 seconds in the 1st that led directly to the Blues 2nd goal. Blaming Tuukka in a game the Bruins didn't score for 58 minutes and the Blues scored three goals from guys with their hands free in front (Pietrangelo, Sanford, that great pass from Tarasenko to Schenn) is insane to me.

I'll also blame Peter Chiarelli & Jeremy Jacobs. Not quite sure how yet, but screw those two guys regardless.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #224
Poli
FOFC Survivor

This was amazing. We have got zero done today in the office.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #225
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Binnington was solid last night, but he's always been our rock, especially after a loss.

He lets a goal in early and it's a completely different game. O'Reilly was the MVP for sure though.. as he's been all season for us.

I cannot believe I can say, "St. Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champions". Can't wait for the parade on Saturday!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #226
Poli
FOFC Survivor

My son's birthday party is tomorrow. No parade for us, unfortunately. Was hoping it would be today.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #227
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

If there's a "star" Bruins player to blame, I'd throw it at Marchand for that lazy ass play and lack of clock awareness with under 10 seconds in the 1st that led directly to the Blues 2nd goal.

This is a take I haven't heard much about (and probably good not to demonize a great player for one play) but man, couldn't agree more. In a game of that magnitude, to make that decision right there with the situation and the clock what it was? That's up there on one of the most WTF plays I've ever seen.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #228
tarcone
Coordinator

I thought about going to the parade. But I hate dealing with thousands of people, let alone hundreds of thousands.

It looks like it will be a great time.

ish i had gon to OB Clarkes the other night. That would have been up my alley.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:42 PM   #229
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I thought about going to the parade. But I hate dealing with thousands of people, let alone hundreds of thousands.

It looks like it will be a great time.

ish i had gon to OB Clarkes the other night. That would have been up my alley.

We are taking the metrolink down there. It's going to be a mad house and I don't expect us to stay for all that long.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:17 PM   #230
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
This is a take I haven't heard much about (and probably good not to demonize a great player for one play) but man, couldn't agree more. In a game of that magnitude, to make that decision right there with the situation and the clock what it was? That's up there on one of the most WTF plays I've ever seen.
Yeah, he played great over the course of the playoffs. Idk exactly what time he went on that shift, but obviously it was a fairly long one & sometimes I guess you just don't have enough oxygen going to the brain and you can completely lose track of the time left.

Pastrnak was also off most of the playoffs, and to no surprise it was announced he's been dealing with a thumb injury that was aggravated vs Columbus (along with a litany of others to Bergeron, Marchand, and I'm sure multiple Blues too). Though nothing to the extent of Bergeron playing with a fucking collapsed lung during that previous Cup run.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:38 AM   #231
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Hockey players are warriors, that's for sure. O'Reilly had bruised ribs from the Winnipeg series, Chara playing with a broken jaw, and the list goes on.

Pretty cool the restaurant in Boston finding a blue lobster that they are sending to the St. Louis Aquarium.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #232
tarcone
Coordinator

Boston has been extremely classy.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:12 AM   #233
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Karlsson re-signs with the Sharks for a reported 8-year, $11+ million per year deal.

I am completely torn on this. It needed to happen to keep the Cup window open, but good lord that's a lot of scratch for an oft-injured defenseman. It also seems likely to end Pavelski's tenure in San Jose. And he's been my favorite Shark for a long, long time.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #234
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, as a fan of a rival Pacific team I think I'm pretty happy with that. It feels inevitable given what they gave up to get him, and I think it makes sense for where the Sharks are right now, but if it doesn't result in a cup immediately in the next couple there's going to be some really tough years on the backend. Definitely a contender to show up as worst contract in the league in 3 or 4 years.

And if it does lead to Pavelski leaving, you can probably make the argument that it's not a better team even in the short term.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #235
tarcone
Coordinator

Hard to believe the cup is over and the offseason is in full swing

Old 06-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #236
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Karlsson re-signs with the Sharks for a reported 8-year, $11+ million per year deal.

I am completely torn on this. It needed to happen to keep the Cup window open, but good lord that's a lot of scratch for an oft-injured defenseman. It also seems likely to end Pavelski's tenure in San Jose. And he's been my favorite Shark for a long, long time.

Ducks made this sort of decision when they brought on Kesler and already had Perry and Getzlaf on big deals. It absolutely had to happen for the Cup window and the Ducks had several years at or near the top of the Pacific. But they kept failing in the playoffs, like versus the Hawks and Preds in the conference finals. And now they're paying for it. Those guys are all hurt and old and the Ducks are trying to navigate back to playoff contention.

So I hope it goes better for the Sharks than it did for the Ducks. Well, no not really, I can't stand the Sharks. But I hope for your sake it does.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:49 PM   #237
Logan
Head Coach

Rangers pulled off an absolute heist.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:22 PM   #238
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I dunno. I still think Trouba is trading somewhat off his draft status - he's 24, posted pretty dead average advanced stats and has never had a 10 goal season and Winnipeg had to move him for guys they wanted to sign more.

I don't think it's a bad trade by the Rangers but I don't think it's a slam dunk given the contract he's going to get for a guy who is simply solid in his own end. Those aren't the kind of defensemen who are getting paid anymore.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:51 PM   #239
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The Rangers keep taking Chevy to the woodshed on these trades. Trouba is overrated, but Pionk? Ugh.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #240
bhlloy
Coordinator

Trading the Hayes pick back plus a bottom pairing defensemen is definitely some grade A trolling right there. I hate to see Winnipeg in the early stages of wasting that awesome young team they'd built, but I guess it's still relatively early in that group's window.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:19 PM   #241
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

That was ugly. He would have seemingly had more value at the trade deadline next spring rather than what they got for him here.

In retrospect, I would have killed for something like Damon Severson from the Devils, straight up.

It seems odd that teams weren’t given permission to try and negotiate a deal with Trouba and his agent. My guess is that the money they want is so out to lunch it would have only hurt his value. I’m guessing they see him as an $8.5 - $9 million guy.

Personally, I think he’s vastly overrated and I don’t mind seeing him go. At the same time, I was hoping for a significantly better return.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote