Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #1
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Adaptive Cruise Control

I'm starting to look at new cars for the first time in ~10 years. I'm definitely interested in the latest safety features (lane departure, forward/reverse collision warning, etc). But one that has me intrigued is Adaptive Cruise Control. As I understand it, this feature gives me the benefit of cruise control (which admittedly I rarely use) along with the capability to slow down if the car in front of me also slows down to maintain a safe distance. I can appreciate from a purely technological perspective how this could be quite useful in rush hour traffic as an example. But I'm also quick to point out that I'd fear my foot would be constantly hovering just over the brake pedal due to a lack of trust.

I mean I'm all for Star Trek transporters to be used in real life as a travel convenience some day - I just don't see myself using it in the first, second, or third generation models.

So... do any of you have that capability in your vehicle? And more importantly, how often do you use it? And do you completely trust it?

Thank you for your replies!

tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I use it all the time in my Grand Cherokee. It does take a period of time to build up trust in it if you've never had it before. When I'm on a long Interstate drive, I set the speed, and let the ACC do the work. I've had several trips between Austin and DFW where once I'm on the highway, I don't have to touch the gas or brake pedal.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
tarcone
Coordinator

My Sister has it and they like it. Though you can forget about it and slow down to match a slower car and forget to pass. You look down and you are going 5 mph slower than you set it.

Also, be wary of the lane departure warnings. Those things are annoying. You cross the line and it beeps. There are enough rumble strip/Drunk bumps on roads that I would turn that feature off.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

My wife just got this in her new car after never having tried it before. She loves it, and keeps showing it off to everyone. Not sure I'd both using it, but she's all in.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:36 PM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I use it all the time in my Grand Cherokee. It does take a period of time to build up trust in it if you've never had it before. When I'm on a long Interstate drive, I set the speed, and let the ACC do the work. I've had several trips between Austin and DFW where once I'm on the highway, I don't have to touch the gas or brake pedal.

Yes, this basically. Takes some time to trust it. If you are a habitual left lane driver, it can be a bit hypnotizing, in that you forget that sometimes you have a left lane person going way under what a typical speed would be, so you don't end up passing them.

Also, if you are in a lot of rush hour traffic, it will leave 2-3 car lengths in between you and the next car, so you will get cut off A LOT. Which the cruise control will adapt to.

Just some things to think about. But for highway driving, I love it.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Don’t have that but I leased a car with Honda Lane assist camera and it was super helpful with merging. Would def recommend as many cameras as you can get on a new car.

Last edited by stevew : 08-26-2018 at 11:01 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I have adaptive cruise control and lane assist on my Mercedes, I love them both.

I don't use them intentionally (ie. I'm always hovering in case they don't trigger) but I've found they both work really well ... the lane assist I notice when I'm very tired as it then will trigger once in a while, the cruise control feature works really well although I tend to over-ride it in heavy traffic as it won't start moving forward from stop until there is a considerable distance between the cars.

Incidentally my 'must haves' though isn't either of these - its the lights on the wing mirrors when someone is in your blind spot AND the light tracking when you go around a corner (the lights turn when you do, until you have it you don't realise how sensible it is).

PS - My girlfriend has had one incident where she avoided an accident because the car realised before she did that the car in front was doing emergency braking, for that alone I'm thankful for the features

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 08-26-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone else think that Nissan EPedal thing looks like a disaster? One pedal to go. Same pedal to stop. Gtfoh.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #9
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
...Incidentally my 'must haves' though isn't either of these - its the lights on the wing mirrors when someone is in your blind spot AND the light tracking when you go around a corner (the lights turn when you do, until you have it you don't realise how sensible it is).

Yes, my Mazda has the headlights that shift in the direction I'm turning. It's definitely one of those "I didn't know I needed it features", that I've grown to appreciate.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:04 AM   #10
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This feels like a Greg Cote "back in my day" segment, but here goes...

The new adaptive cruise control sucks donkey balls.

Thank God I bought a car that didn't have the extra package that included it, so I've got the standard. My wife's car, unfortunately, has it. And it is AWFUL!

I guess it comes down to the purpose for cruise control. I use it to maintain one constant speed. If I'm gaining on someone who should move over, it's a signal to them to move to the right lane. When passing, it allows me to minimize the amount of time I'm in the left lane by keeping my speed up as I get over to pass from a relatively short distance behind the car I'm passing. These are both helpful things on a highway for everybody. If I can't pass or the guy in front of me can't or won't get over, I either slow down my speed mph by mph with the buttons or just cancel CC until it's safe to put it back on.

The new cruise control sucks because it simply exists to keep your foot off the gas. That's all it does. If you want to do 75mph for a trip, sorry, you're just going to drive the speed of the car 3 car lengths in front of you. You may not even realize you're going slower than you want until you suddenly realize you feel like you're driving in slow motion. If you want to pass, you have to get into the left lane way too early, and then your car has to quickly switch from deceleration mode to acceleration, while other speeding cars in the left lane quickly gain on you as you try to make up several car lengths to pass the car you were behind - rather than being at the faster speed and effortlessly gliding past them as quickly as possible. This is a recipe for road rage.

Also, if you maintain that constant speed behind the guy in front of you, there's no way for him to know you want to pass. He's just going to sit there doing 75 and you will too - unless you turn off CC. Oh, and if you happen to drive winding roads? It's so much fun for your sensor to randomly catch the back of a semi in another lane and slow you down for no f&cking reason at all!

I drove a 3 hour round trip this past weekend in my wife's car and spent so much time turning CC on and off to manage all of this that I just said f&ck it and turned the whole thing off. What is the POINT?

I hope to hell this doesn't become the standard. I couldn't find any way to switch this feature off and just have the standard CC in her car. It was this POS "feature" or nothing.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:48 AM   #11
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Huh. Our Subaru Ascent has this, but it's super simple to turn off and not use. In the Bay Area it's not super useful because there are ALWAYS cars on the road everywhere, so you end up changing speed constantly with it on.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 03-16-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:15 PM   #12
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Experienced adaptive cruise control for the first time a couple weeks ago when renting a Rav4. Can't say I liked it, it started slowing me down way too soon for my tastes and I did forget about it at times and ended up going slower than I wanted when I forgot about it coming up behind another vehicle.

The one good thing, it's great for following someone. Just get behind them, set the speed slightly faster than them and you just stay there without having to adjust speed to match them.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:08 PM   #13
tarcone
Coordinator

My adaptive cruise control is me hitting the speed up button on the cruise control or the slow down button. Works really well for me. Never have to touch the gas or brake.
Basically, I am the adaptive cruise control.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:27 PM   #14
Butter
Coordinator

Why are you using cruise control on winding roads
Old 03-16-2021, 10:09 PM   #15
Ksyrup

I use cruise control on pretty much every highway. I can handle it. And it doesn't have to be winding roads like in a road course, just any road with a bend in it, I've often caught the back-end of a truck to slow me down all of a sudden. Although I will admit I love driving that section of I-40 east of Knoxville from about the TN border to Asheville.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-17-2021, 09:23 AM   #16
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I use cruise control on pretty much every highway. I can handle it. And it doesn't have to be winding roads like in a road course, just any road with a bend in it, I've often caught the back-end of a truck to slow me down all of a sudden. Although I will admit I love driving that section of I-40 east of Knoxville from about the TN border to Asheville.

I've driven this probably at least 100 times, if you are using cruise control on it, you are either going dreadfully slow on the straights, or nearly rolling your car on the curves.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #17
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I've driven this probably at least 100 times, if you are using cruise control on it, you are either going dreadfully slow on the straights, or nearly rolling your car on the curves.

I don't use cruise control on it, but there's a reason my family tries to be asleep when we go through there.

I haven't had a car with adaptive cruise yet, but it's a must have on my next one, along with lane departure assist and the other safety features. Learning how to be a more patient driver on interstates took me into my forties. It's really the only New Years Resolution that I have been successful with that had long lasting, meaningful consequences.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:40 AM   #18
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I don't use cruise control on it, but there's a reason my family tries to be asleep when we go through there.

I haven't had a car with adaptive cruise yet, but it's a must have on my next one, along with lane departure assist and the other safety features. Learning how to be a more patient driver on interstates took me into my forties. It's really the only New Years Resolution that I have been successful with that had long lasting, meaningful consequences.

My patience depends largely on my mood. I certainly weave through traffic less than I used to.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:45 AM   #19
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Watch the movie Unhinged with Russell Crowe and you might weave even less lol
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #20
Atocep
Coordinator

We ordered one of the new Broncos that should get here end of next month and the adaptive cruise with copilot assist plus was one of key features I was looking for. I've been driving a 2010 Jeep that's essentially 4WD and some cup holders so it'll be nice to drive something with modern tech and safety features.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:20 PM   #21
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

@atocep did you see the John Bronco short movie with Walter Goggins? It is pretty good and a must see for fans of him. It can be found on YouTube.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:30 PM   #22
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post

I usually set it at 65 or 75. Depends on whether the wife is with me.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:37 PM   #23
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

It's really not even about patience, more about courtesy. I stay in the right lane (or right/middle if there's 3 lanes) unless I pass. I expect others to do the same. I also want to drive a consistent speed if there's little to moderate traffic. Using adaptive cruise control is like Sunday driving when you have no place to go and no set time to be there.

I've found that I don't drive any differently than I walk. I've noticed that I walk much faster than people are comfortable with. I often pass people when walking because they are in my way simply because they move slower than me. I walk with a purpose and I always have. I drive much the same way. I have a place to be and I expect to get there at a certain time, and I would appreciate it if people would extend me the same courtesy I give them when they want to pass me. I either speed up or get out of the way.

As Ryche mentioned, using adaptive cruise control is great for following someone. In fact, I'd argue that's the main purpose for it. It's almost useless as a real cruise control from the standpoint of driving at a consistent speed.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-17-2021 at 12:38 PM.