Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
SnDvls
Pro Starter

3d printing

I don't own a printer but have a file I want printed. Anyone know where I can get it printed I'm not in any time rush either.

thanks

SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Local university maybe?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
PilotMan
Head Coach

What do you need? How big is it? I know some people.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
I don't own a printer but have a file I want printed. Anyone know where I can get it printed I'm not in any time rush either.

thanks

Depending on the size some local libraries have 3D printers.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
What do you need? How big is it? I know some people.

2 small cookie cutters. maybe the size of an average human hand (LOL)
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
Groundhog
Coordinator

I can print them, but shipping is not economical. Thingiverse has a few "make this object" links, I've never used them but it looks like the different options are "Print A Thing", "Treatstock", and "Ninjaprototype".
Old 12-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just buy one, think of how awesome the cookies will be!
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:51 AM   #8
Bobble
College Prospect

Off-topic: I keep wanting to get a 3D printer but I don't know what I'd print except toys. I'm a 50-mumble-year old man. I don't NEED toys. I'd print out mini's for games I don't play. I'd print out weapon props and walk around the den with them going "pew pew" for 5 minutes a year. I can't convince myself that it's worth -- not only the cost, but fiddly time and effort to set up and run.

I seem to have trouble separating "I wish I had that" and "I wish I had that when I was 12".
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #9
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post

thanks

There are a lot of online places that will do it for a fee.

I need a part made and used:
Shapeways - Create Your Product. Build Your Business

They did a nice job.
Little spendy, but that is to be expected.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #10
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Off-topic: I keep wanting to get a 3D printer but I don't know what I'd print except toys. I'm a 50-mumble-year old man. I don't NEED toys. I'd print out mini's for games I don't play. I'd print out weapon props and walk around the den with them going "pew pew" for 5 minutes a year. I can't convince myself that it's worth -- not only the cost, but fiddly time and effort to set up and run.

I seem to have trouble separating "I wish I had that" and "I wish I had that when I was 12".

I bought mine for a little over $200 AUD (a Wanhao duplicator i3 mini clone) mainly to print terrain & tokens/bits for games I play sometimes. Sometimes it's just printing other people's things from Thingiverse, but I've started building my own through simple CAD programs and printing those, and there's a weird sense of satisfaction around creating something on a computer screen and then holding it in your hand.

I try to print something useful every other day. I've found a stack of things on Thingiverse that I certainly don't need, but I've enjoyed printing & painting a variety of things - toothbrush holders, soap dishes, self-watering planters, etc.

But yeah, definitely not a necessity, and there is a steep learning curve. I'm a month in and I still feel like I'm about 5% of the way there.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #11
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I bought mine for a little over $200 AUD (a Wanhao duplicator i3 mini clone) mainly to print terrain & tokens/bits for games I play sometimes. Sometimes it's just printing other people's things from Thingiverse, but I've started building my own through simple CAD programs and printing those, and there's a weird sense of satisfaction around creating something on a computer screen and then holding it in your hand.

I try to print something useful every other day. I've found a stack of things on Thingiverse that I certainly don't need, but I've enjoyed printing & painting a variety of things - toothbrush holders, soap dishes, self-watering planters, etc.

But yeah, definitely not a necessity, and there is a steep learning curve. I'm a month in and I still feel like I'm about 5% of the way there.

3D Printers are getting so cheap that it's just making it harder to resist. I could get in to this hobby for an initial outlay of less than $300.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote