Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2019, 01:00 PM   #251
miami_fan
Coordinator

12-12 fifth set tiebreaker
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #252
Thomkal
Head Coach

It was nice of them to introduce all of us to the new rule in the final
Old 07-14-2019, 08:38 PM   #253
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

What an effort by the 37 year old Federer. Never once broken if I recall correctly. Unfortunate loss. Going to miss the greatness of the big 3 when they call it quits. It is like Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, and Ted Williams all playing in the same era.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:11 AM   #254
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Coco Gauff simply refuses to be anything but must-see TV. Insane mental toughness for her age IMO.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-30-2019 at 02:11 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #255
PilotMan
Head Coach

There's an American (Russian-tennis American) in the women's final in Australia and she isn't named Williams. I've been impressed with her run from the 14th seed, this might be her breakout year after her big upset of Serena last year at Roland-Garros.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #256
QuikSand
lolzcat

I like how our little forum's generic "tennis thread" still has a title referencing one long-ass match... leaves a great first impression like Isner and Mahut are still paying, and it's now 615,214-615,213...
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #257
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
There's an American (Russian-tennis American) in the women's final in Australia and she isn't named Williams. I've been impressed with her run from the 14th seed, this might be her breakout year after her big upset of Serena last year at Roland-Garros.

Can't believe Kenin won that match... neither of them were hitting the ball clean or particularly well. It was all set up for Barty and she just couldn't take advantage of it.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:08 AM   #258
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I like how our little forum's generic "tennis thread" still has a title referencing one long-ass match... leaves a great first impression like Isner and Mahut are still paying, and it's now 615,214-615,213...

I was gonna start a new one, but eh, why? Like why ruin a perfectly ok thing?

Like Steam?

Old 09-08-2021, 05:27 PM   #259
AlexB
Pro Starter

I’m not a huge tennis fan, but saw a stat about Emma Raducanu that puts her SF appearance into perspective: she is only the third woman outside the top 100 players to reach a US SF.

The other two? Billie Jean King & Kim Clijsters.

If she ends up being anywhere near as good as those two, she’ll be OK
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:20 PM   #260
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've been watching a ton of tennis in the past two years. I loved tennis growing up, just got out of it and played a bit when I first moved here but a decade+ of focusing on the kids' sports meant giving up my own. I love watching live sports, and working from home and being able to watch live tennis nearly every workday has been great. It's also introduced me to a bunch of these "surprise" grand slam party crashers.

Except Van de Zandschulp. Never heard of that dude at all.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:26 PM   #261
Butter
Coordinator

I was watching a ton of tennis for betting purposes, and because I enjoy it a lot, then YouTube TV stopped carrying Tennis Channel early this year. Which was a huge bummer
Old 09-09-2021, 08:41 PM   #262
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Great first women's semi tonight.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:59 PM   #263
Ksyrup

Sabalenka is so easy to root against. What a giant petulant baby. She self-destructs so often.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-09-2021, 10:14 PM   #264
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Women's final is shaping up to be a very interesting one. Raducanu is eating Sakkari alive.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:25 AM   #265
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Great first women's semi tonight.

TMI
Old 09-10-2021, 07:19 AM   #266
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Sabalenka is so easy to root against. What a giant petulant baby. She self-destructs so often.

AMEN!
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:03 PM   #267
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Except Van de Zandschulp. Never heard of that dude at all.
He's not been setting the tour on fire or anything, but he played in the main draw of the other three grand slams this year, even winning his first round matches in Paris and London, after he reached the quarterfinals of a 250 warmup event in Australia early in the year.

But despite his rather irregular name, I suppose it's easy to overlook a player who's decided to add experience and points at the challenger level for most of his breakthrough year. Given the COVID-19 rankings rules, it's a lot harder to climb the rankings and regularly participate in the 250 level tournaments, which forces the upcomers to hang around on the challenger tour a little bit longer. Which is now no longer required for Botic van de Zandschulp, given that his results in New York will skyrocket him into the top100 for the next 12 months.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 10:23 AM   #268
AlexB
Pro Starter

Boris Becker jailed: Tennis champion sentenced over bankruptcy

Last edited by AlexB : 04-29-2022 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:58 AM   #269
Ksyrup

Carlos Alcaraz is a special talent. I just watched him beat Nadal, on clay, in Spain, in front of the King. Now, Nadal is not at peak given that he's coming off injury (and getting older), but it feels like that foreshadowed the coming torch pass. He had 4 times the winners than Nadal (late in the match it was 32 to 8). The last point was incredible.

He's got Djokovic next, so that's asking a lot in back-to-back matches. We'll see.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:18 PM   #270
Ksyrup

Well, Alcaraz beat Djokovic in an excellent 3 set match. Then, in the finals, he destroyed Zverev 3 and 1. Dude is about to show the world he has arrived for good in the final 3 majors of the year.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:24 PM   #271
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

We'll see. Every once in a while somebody pops up and makes a big run. Sustaining it over a period of several months is another thing. Definitely has a big potential future but I wouldn't crown him just yet.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:50 PM   #272
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

With Nadal getting older, I'm excited to have another Spaniard to root for.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:57 AM   #273
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
We'll see. Every once in a while somebody pops up and makes a big run. Sustaining it over a period of several months is another thing. Definitely has a big potential future but I wouldn't crown him just yet.

He came onto the scene in a big way last year, making the US Open quarterfinals. He's been on an upward trajectory for the last 18 months, going from about 140 to top 35 by the end of 2021. This year, he's arguably the best player in the world. He's got 4 titles, only lost 3 matches and is up to #6.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:14 AM   #274
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not bashing him, there are just many examples of players going on a similar tear and then falling off a cliff. It would be great for tennis if he's able to sustain it. I'm far from sold on that actually happening.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:46 AM   #275
Ksyrup

I just saw a clip of John Isner and Diego Schwartzman playing as doubles partners. It's as comical as you might imagine.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:02 PM   #276
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It's going to be weird when Nadal stops winning the French Open. He's been doing it for over half my adult lifetime at this point.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:57 PM   #277
Thomkal
Head Coach

Have to say that the women and men's final were very boring. Neither had much of chance against Swiatek/Nadal
Old 06-05-2022, 09:22 PM   #278
Ksyrup

Nope. And Nadal might be having surgery on his foot. He's been getting injections and said his left foot was asleep during the total destruction of Ruud.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:04 AM   #279
Ksyrup

Watching some of the early action at pre-Wimbledon tournaments this morning and reminded that there is an American female tennis player with the last name Volynets. And even on grass, she's barely tried to approach the net - talk about irony. And she's not very good either.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:56 PM   #280
PilotMan
Head Coach

This Nick Kyrgos(sp) match might be one of the strangest I've ever seen. He's a total headcase. He's gotten into his opponent's head, and the chair has been lenient, it's all over the place.

Like Steam?

Old 07-03-2022, 04:40 AM   #281
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
This Nick Kyrgos(sp) match might be one of the strangest I've ever seen. He's a total headcase. He's gotten into his opponent's head, and the chair has been lenient, it's all over the place.
*Kyrgios

To be fair, Stefanos Tsitsipas is also a notorious hothead. The ATP Tour is getting overrun by abusive figures (Daniil Medvedev, Alexander Zverev, Denis Shapovalov), these kids make even Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams look adorable.

The weird part is that both Kyrgios and Tsitsipas could (and should) have disqualified for their violent behavior, but the referee and umpire chose not to follow up on the rules. It did result in an enjoyable match, but I honestly couldn't tell which of the two was the biggest *insert curse word of your choice* out there to root against.

I was disappointed in Tsitsipas' attitude yesterday, actually. I was lucky enough to be able to attend the final of the ATP tournament in Rotterdam. What I remember well from that day is how Tsitsipas kept his cool, despite getting outplayed by Felix Auger-Aliassime. I concluded that he turned the page on being a hothead on court. Clearly, he hasn't.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:45 AM   #282
miked
College Starter

Tsitsipas is a serial cheater, big baby, and shot balls in to the stands yesterday as well as trying to purposely hit his opponent. At least Kyrgios admits who he is.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:07 PM   #283
PilotMan
Head Coach

I don't think he tried to hit him, I think he was trying to hit very, very close without hitting him. It was clearly the result of frustration with everything going on with the match.

Like Steam?

Old 07-03-2022, 03:08 PM   #284
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Kyrgios 3rd round match was a masterclass is pushing your opponent's buttons and playing well enough to navigate it when things got hairy. There was no way that thing could've gone to a 5th set if he expected to still win, his antics wouldn't have lasted I feel like. But love him or not, it was really fun to watch because his form was good and his shot selection down the stretch was so deft.

I still need to watch a whole Harmony Tan match. His first round match win was no fluke as she's onto the 2nd week. Good she skipped doubles, not only did she get to focus on singles but her would-be partner got COVID.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-03-2022 at 03:09 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:32 AM   #285
whomario
Pro Starter

Kyrgios is an assclown and a bully. But apparently that's cool for many. Including Wimbledon itself, seeing how on their social media they got all giddy and excited about how awesomely "unfiltered" he is. They are filming a Netflix series there, afterall. And any F1 viewer that saw Drive to Survive knows how that will go.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-04-2022 at 11:53 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:58 AM   #286
Butter
Coordinator

Unless he implodes, Kyrgios should be able to best Garin and make the semis.

Then the real interesting stuff starts, Kyrgios in a major semi against Nadal. Kyrgios is very easy to set off, and a main thing to be set off about is when the chair treats his opponents differently than usual. Nadal usually gets the benefit of a late reset serve clock. It probably won't be long until Kyrgios loses his shit in that match. Also Rafa, while known as a good guy, is also known to not lay down or appreciate "antics". This will be the antics of all antics matches, as that's just who Kyrgios is.

Must see TV.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:26 AM   #287
Thomkal
Head Coach

I watched the beginning of the Djokovic match and he went up 3-0 early and it looked like it was going to be another easy match for him. But surprise Sinner came back to win the first and then the second.

And its a good thing for Kyrgios that Wimbledon isn't in August:

Nick Kyrgios, quarterfinalist at Wimbledon, to face assault charge in Australia court
Old 07-05-2022, 10:47 AM   #288
PilotMan
Head Coach

After Novak and his covid bullshit the last couple years I just can't cheer for him as a fan, and I really, really liked him. His such a dominant player at times, hard not to respect his skill. He's really come back in this one, but I still hope Sinner can hang on.

Like Steam?

Old 07-05-2022, 12:18 PM   #289
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
After Novak and his covid bullshit the last couple years I just can't cheer for him as a fan, and I really, really liked him. His such a dominant player at times, hard not to respect his skill. He's really come back in this one, but I still hope Sinner can hang on.

Yeah I feel the same way about him. He was not the role model tennis needed when he was off in the disco shortly after COVID. And then not caring that anyone might catch it with him not taking the vaccine. I greatly respect his ability on the court, but nothing else off the court.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:44 PM   #290
Thomkal
Head Coach

Too bad for American Taylor Fritz-looked like nadal was going to have to withdraw at one point, but came back to win in a 5th set tiebreaker. Too bad, would have been nice to see an American male get to the semis again.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:14 AM   #291
Thomkal
Head Coach

The 17th seeded woman from Kazhikstan (sp) wins her first major in 3 sets. It would have been great to see the woman from Tunisia win just for what it would mean for her country and continent. But a great showing nonetheless.

I hope that the men's final is boring and whoever wins, wins in 3 sets. Not much interest in watching it.

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-09-2022 at 02:03 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:52 AM   #292
bhlloy
Coordinator

The irony is after all the flak and fines Wimbledon got a Russian won - she only switched to Kazakhstan for the money
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:52 PM   #293
Thomkal
Head Coach

Serena Williams has retired from tennis. What a fantastic career
Old 08-10-2022, 10:24 AM   #294
miami_fan
Coordinator

Small change for clarity. Serena is retiring probably after the U.S. Open. What an amazing career.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:43 AM   #295
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Small change for clarity. Serena is retiring probably after the U.S. Open. What an amazing career.

Yep saw that later on, glad she is going to retire there
Old 08-29-2022, 02:59 PM   #296
Ksyrup

Couple of small upsets so far. Halep just lost and Bautisa Agut lost to some American I have never heard of.

I also just watched a sad ending to Stan Wawrinka's match. He retired after 2 sets after losing the 2nd 9-7 in the tiebreaker. Poor guy's been injured so much, only playing 20 matches in the last 2 years. I've always had a soft spot for the guy, I guess because he just doesn't look like any other tennis player out there. Kinda stocky, workmanlike, but he's won 3 grand slams. At 37, I can't imagine he's got much left.
Old 08-29-2022, 08:27 PM   #297
Thomkal
Head Coach

Serena wins in straight sets to move on.
Old 08-30-2022, 02:01 PM   #298
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Couple of small upsets so far. Halep just lost and Bautisa Agut lost to some American I have never heard of.
Bautista Agut lost to JJ Wolf, I had that as a almost 50-50 matchup. Wolf is a regular on the ATP Tour, his problem is that he's limiting himself to just tournaments in the USA, but now that he's into the top100, that's going to be something to think about for him. I mean, it's not like Bautista Agut lost to whomever Brandon Holt is...

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 08-30-2022 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2022, 07:31 PM   #299
Thomkal
Head Coach

Speaking of unknowns, Rinky Hijikata from Australia just took the first set from Nadal 6-4
Old 08-30-2022, 09:34 PM   #300
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Speaking of unknowns, Rinky Hijikata from Australia just took the first set from Nadal 6-4

Nadal came back to win the next three