Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2022, 06:14 PM   #201
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I can remember Dick Motta, Kevin Loughery, Cotton Fitzsimmons, Bill Fitch, Larry Brown, etc, all coaching multiple mediocre teams. Rinse and repeat.

That sent me looking to see who else might belong on the list

Most NBA games coached, career record under .500

Fitch - 5 teams
Motta - 6 teams (5 franchises, double dipped with the Mavericks)
Gene Shue - 5 teams (4 franchises, double dipped with the Clippers)
Mike Dunleavy - 4 teams
Alvin Gentry - 5 teams
Loughery - 7 teams (8 if you count the ABA)
Byron Scott - 4 teams
Dwane Casey - 3 teams
Scott Skiles - 4 teams
Bernie Bickerstaff - 4 teams (5 if you count a brief interim with LAL)

To get that top ten, I'm down to only #38 in most NBA games coached

Other sub .500 records in the top 50 games coached?
Hubie Brown - 3 teams (4 if you count the ABA)
Paul Silas - 4 teams (3 franchies, double dipped with Hornets)
Don Chaney - 3 teams

Just missing the top 50 in games coached are #51 Jim Lynam (3 teams) and #53 Chris Ford (4 teams)

*Larry Brown probably deserves his own footnote. Coached 9 NBA teams (plus 2 ABA teams) BUT did win 1 title, 3 conference titles and was over .500 with 7 of the 9 franchises

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-10-2022 at 06:18 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:48 PM   #202
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
It's funny how NFL and NBA culture are so different in those regards.

NFL teams want the youngest most up-and-coming offensive coach they can find.

NBA teams gravitate towards coaches who have multiple head coaching jobs before.

Wonder why?

Thanks for sending me down this rabbit hole.

It is more of a mixed bag that you think. Here is the breakdown of NBA HC hires stating with the 18-19 season.

18-19 5 rooks/ 4 vets
19-20 3 rooks/ 3 vets
20-21 4 rooks/ 5 vets
21-22 5 rooks/ 2 vets

Now some of the rookies had interim roles before they got their first permanent boss. To be fair, I forgot a number of the first timers. Anybody else forget that Igor Kokoskov, Nate Bjorkgren, Mark Daigneault, and Jamahl Mosley were all hired over the last four seasons? Does anyone remember that the last two coaches are still employed as head coaches in the league?

Now here is the same breakdown for the NFL. I have been very loose with the young part of young up and coming offensive minds.

18-19 5 rooks (3 with def. backgrounds) with Frank Reich or Matt Nagy being closest to young up and coming offensive minds description/ 2 vets

19-20 6 rooks (2 def.) with Kingsbury, LaFleur, Zach Taylor and Freddie Kitchens/ 2 vets

20-21 3 rooks (1 special teams) with Kevin Stefanski the clear winner / 2 vets

21-22 7 rooks (2 def) with Arthur Smith? Nick Sirianni?/ 0 vets

22-23 5 rooks (1 def) Nathaniel Hackett? Mike McDaniel? Kevin O'Connell? Brian Daboll? / 4 vets
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:45 PM   #203
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This Memphis team is so game. If they add a couple pieces they are gonna run the west. So fun to watch
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:58 PM   #204
joe the wanderer
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
They were on an upwards trajectory with Jackson. You can think Kerr was the right person for the job at that time and also think Jackson didn't do a bad job with the team prior to that. Draymond Green was a second-year player, Klay Thompson a third-year player in 2013. It was Igoudala's first year with the team. If he had been there long enough for the team to stop improving, then yes you can fault Jackson for that, but that isn't what happened.

The issues of conflict within the organization is a much more valid concern for sure.

Mark Jackson helped them with defense, but his offensive game-planning was limited. This video does a great job comparing his system with Kerr's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3sC...BBALLBREAKDOWN
joe the wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:59 AM   #205
miami_fan
Coordinator

There will come a time where I don't enjoy watching the "Trust The Process" Sixers flame out without even making the conference finals. That time is not now though. The Heat ending their season is just a bonus.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-13-2022, 09:22 PM   #206
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, the Celtics-Bucks game 7 will be on sunday at 3:30 PM. I half-expect the old CBS NBA opening and "You are looking LIVE at the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts". Just like Dominique and Larry, Giannis and Jayson Tatum are going to go for it.

And yes, I remember seeing Dominique and Larry in game 7. My parents dragged me out to an airshow, which was SO not my thing, luckily one of the buildings had game 7 on.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:34 PM   #207
Atocep
Coordinator

To say the Suns shit the bed would be an understatement.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:34 PM   #208
miami_fan
Coordinator

This DAL-PHX game is the definition of this is a make or miss league.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:38 PM   #209
RainMaker
General Manager

This is something else.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:48 PM   #210
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Luka channeling Ice-T and I love it

Quote:
Talk shit, get shot!
Act hard motherfucker, get shot!
Pop off, get shot!
Run up motherfucker, get shot!
- Body Count

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-15-2022 at 08:48 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:56 PM   #211
RainMaker
General Manager

The Kings probably should have drafted Luka.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:49 AM   #212
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I don't think any more teams are going to swing draft day trades to the Mavs with a foreign player. First Dirk, now Luka.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:59 AM   #213
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

That whole Mavs/Suns thing felt real 1980s. Not just scoring more points than the team that talked shit about you. But ripping out their manhood and stomping all over it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:54 AM   #214
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Scary allegations about Rondo bringing a gun to his former girlfriend’s house during a fight over their children. Would have thought he could have had a nice shot at potentially becoming a head coach someday. Now not so much.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:57 PM   #215
Galaril
Pro Starter

Geez Celtics without Smart foot injury and Horford Covid…. They are toast.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:24 PM   #216
molson
General Manager

Ewing theory!
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:27 PM   #217
miami_fan
Coordinator

Those players don't seem too excited about the possibility of going to the Magic.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:40 PM   #218
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The magic are such an MLM of sucking
Old 05-19-2022, 09:08 PM   #219
miami_fan
Coordinator

Yeah I have seen enough of Game 2 in the East.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:14 PM   #220
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It's one thing to not bring your A game on the road, but what Miami is doing here in Game 4 is pretty sad. 25% shooting isn't getting it done against anyone.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:02 PM   #221
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
It's one thing to not bring your A game on the road, but what Miami is doing here in Game 4 is pretty sad. 25% shooting isn't getting it done against anyone.

Game 5 is going to a real battle for sure.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:49 AM   #223
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I still hate that Butler 3 if he makes it.
Old 05-30-2022, 01:12 PM   #224
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Idk I kinda liked it (And the charitable explanation is that Horford was there at the rim & he had tired legs, so it wasn't a guaranteed layup, even if I typically hate that on fast breaks.)

Re: Celtics/Warriors I'm surprised Boston is +140. We've played the Warriors better than anyone in the league even when they were on their finals run & we weren't at this level, and I think the physicality of the East playoffs has been on an entirely different level than the West ones.

Granted that has led us to looking like the walking wounded, but for once I'm glad the NBA is going back to their typical schedule where there is 3 off days before game 1 & 2 off days between every game in the series except Game 4. 10 games in 19 days or whatever it was vs the Bucks and Heat is too much when teams are playing like the 3 of us do and it led to some bad basketball due to fatigue IMO. The Warriors attack in a different way (they make you run and test your endurance instead of banging), but either way I think with the extra rest we'll be able to go back to our strength (man to man defense, ability to switch everything on the perimeter except Timelord who just cleans up stuff near the rim) and that's a tough matchup for Golden State.

Am I predicting a Celtics victory? Hell no, I think it's a toss up, but they're going to need Wiggins and Looney etc to step up (and maybe even Draymond to shoot a 3!), because I think we can harass Steph/Klay/Poole into tough looks they won't hit every game.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 03:02 PM   #225
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

So what you are saying is that you, like me, are an archaic luddite who does not understand the increased role the three pointer has in today's game and is stuck in the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Idk I kinda liked it (And the charitable explanation is that Horford was there at the rim & he had tired legs, so it wasn't a guaranteed layup, even if I typically hate that on fast breaks.)

The thing that the most infuriating about it is despite my dislike of the shot, I could actually justify it. The way that game went up until that point, I don't think the Heat were winning that game in OT. The best player on the team took the big shot to put his team in the lead. If he makes it, the Heat need to get one stop. With Jimmy, Bam and Kyle Lowery on the floor, Tyler Herro on the bench, and the building going wild after the three, I think most Heat fans would takes their chances.

Bu to be clear, I hate the shot
Old 05-30-2022, 03:23 PM   #226
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They still had one timeout. I just think if he wasn’t willing to take it to Horford, pull it out and let’s call a timeout and draw a play up. try to either hit an open 3 at/near the buzzer -or- get a 2 to tie it.

Also idc specifically about the Strus play, but it’s beyond time for the court to expand a bit wider. Given that you’d lose seats, my compromise proposal would be for 1 foot on the out of bounds line to be considered “still in bounds”.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:35 PM   #227
BishopMVP
Coordinator

This cuts off right as Butler shoots it, but you can see Horford is in position to defend the drive, Tatum and Brown are on the two wings locking guys off but look ready to potentially help, and even Grant is locking off the trailing shooter so it's not like there was a numbers advantage and it would have definitely led to an open 3 if he drove & kicked. Last Two-Minute Report | NBA Official

Butler might be a 23% shooter, but he was 5-11 the last two games, it was in rhythm and a clean look, and I can tell you as a Celtics fan I didn't have a great feeling when it left his hand. Dude just missed the shot.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:49 PM   #228
rjolley
College Starter

I'm not necessarily a fan of Butler taking a 3 with the game on the line, but that is a good look. Horford is moving back to defend the drive, Tatum is hugging the closest wing and preferrable shooter, Grant has position to make a shot by a not at his best Lowry challenged, and a skip to the wing would be picked by Brown. Maybe you wait for Bam to get down to rebound, but by that time, Horford is on the ball and Smart is back in the play.

With the way the Celtics play D, that's probably the best look you're going to get. Driving to the basket with Horford playing you for the drive is a toss up at best to get a call the way the games have been called.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:54 PM   #229
rjolley
College Starter

I didn't know the refs could review a shot and wipe it out. I guess I should've known since they can change a 2 to a 3 and vice versa, but that surprised me. And then, to overturn it for that play was even more surprising.

With the replay during the game, it looked like the back of his foot was over the line, but his heel didn't appear to touch. It at least looked close enough to not overturn the call on the floor.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:36 PM   #230
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 06-06-2022, 03:38 PM   #231
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe the Warriors let game 1 get away. That was an epic collapse
Old 06-06-2022, 03:41 PM   #232
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Comments are predictable.

Pritchard actually grew up literally across the street from me in West Linn, Oregon. Nice family. I suspect he would find this funny.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:50 AM   #233
miami_fan
Coordinator

Anyone else reach that point where they are waiting for Steph Curry to put the Warriors on his back in the same way we looked to Lebron to put the 2017-18 Cavs on his back? I think the Celtics are a better and deeper team but I still have that expectation of Steph producing his version of Lebron's 51/8/8 performance in Game 1 of that Finals.

Sidenote: Looking back at that 2018 Cavs roster in the Finals, my god they were horrible. They were not as bad as the 2007 Finals team but it was closer than I expected it to be.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:13 AM   #234
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If Smart is going to hit 3's, this is going to be a bad series for the W's. The Warriors seemingly got killed on the boards when it mattered in game 3. Draymond has to do something more than a 2/4/3 stat line.

I mean if Scott Foster is back for a late game in this series it'll also be a problem.

Last edited by stevew : 06-10-2022 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:28 AM   #235
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
If Smart is going to hit 3's, this is going to be a bad series for the W's. The Warriors seemingly got killed on the boards when it mattered in game 3. Draymond has to do something more than a 2/4/3 stat line.

I mean if Scott Foster is back for a late game in this series it'll also be a problem.

This series for the Celtics will hinge on Robert Will8ams health. He looked great in the last game. If he is close to that 8n the remainder of this series that bodes well for Boston.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:34 AM   #236
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

There's a tendency to overreact to the last game in a 7 game series. But this really feels like Boston's series to lose.
Old 06-10-2022, 01:42 PM   #237
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I just hope Steph is healthy. Didn't sound as bad as the last foot injury and he'll be playing, but want him out there at 100%.

Re: Scott Foster it'd be amusing if he showed back up for game 5 with the Celtics up 3-1, so either way people can claim it was obvious which way he was gonna be biased. Even if we were 0-13 with him as a ref though I'd still take him out there over Tony Brothers! Tonight it's James Capers, Kane Fitzgerald (ugh) & Eric Lewis.

Finally - just as a PSA in case you have tickets and are thinking of bringing small children with you - there's a chance some fans might use profanity during a game that starts at 9pm locally on a Friday night in the Northeast. (I just wouldn't want anyone getting caught off guard by that like they apparently were Wednesday.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 06-10-2022 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:05 PM   #238
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Finally - just as a PSA in case you have tickets and are thinking of bringing small children with you - there's a chance some fans might use profanity during a game that starts at 9pm locally on a Friday night in the Northeast. (I just wouldn't want anyone getting caught off guard by that like they apparently were Wednesday.)

My sister had Saints season tickets for a while, and she said that they just stopped going to the night games. Like she put it, there is "noon drunk" for the day games and there is "started at noon drunk" for the night games, and so many fans were the latter that it just wasn't fun.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:02 PM   #239
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Eh, I have seen Joey Crawford and Steve Javie have fans removed for saying less.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:32 PM   #240
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Draymond is garbage. Can’t shoot. Bad handle. Doesn’t rebound well. Literally like playing 3.5 on 5 with him out there.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:18 PM   #241
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
Eh, I have seen Joey Crawford and Steve Javie have fans removed for saying less.

Or players temporarily masquerading as fans sitting on the bench. Yeah, I went there.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:41 AM   #242
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Anyone else reach that point where they are waiting for Steph Curry to put the Warriors on his back in the same way we looked to Lebron to put the 2017-18 Cavs on his back? I think the Celtics are a better and deeper team but I still have that expectation of Steph producing his version of Lebron's 51/8/8 performance in Game 1 of that Finals.

I think that was close enough.
Old 06-11-2022, 07:57 AM   #243
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
There's a tendency to overreact to the last game in a 7 game series. But this really feels like Boston's series to lose.

I think Curry's on the less talented team in the Finals for the first time which is why we saw the 43-10 last night and the 34.6 average so far.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 12:25 PM   #244
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Steph ain't the only Curry trending on Twitter today LOL

(I'll just leave the reason for the curious to discover)
Old 06-11-2022, 05:09 PM   #245
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Curry as in Indian food?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:31 PM   #246
Kodos
Resident Alien

Nice to see Curry and the Warriors win again.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:34 PM   #247
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tatum is so soft.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:25 PM   #248
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Tatum is so soft.
I agree he needs to complain less, but as a counterpoint how many players won an NBA title as the best player on the team at age 24? I hope this take ages as well as your Draymond one from 7 posts up
Old 06-17-2022, 10:02 AM   #249
miami_fan
Coordinator

I think Tatum will be all right. He has the same flaw that most of the Mamba mentality acolytes have. They all remember the almost impossible shots that Kobe made. They don't remember the games especially early on where Kobe would just drive to the basket relentlessly because the man guarding could not stop him from doing so.

I get it the role of the three in today's game. However, there is no reason that 60% of Tatum's shot attempts should be taken outside of ten feet from the basket and 50% taken outside of 16 feet. These are Trae Young sort of percentages. Those percentages make sense for a guy that Trae Young's size, not so much for the guy 6-8, 210lb and Tatum's athleticism.
Old 06-17-2022, 10:07 AM   #250
miami_fan
Coordinator

Dola,

Draymond Green is now going to be the absolute worst for the rest of my basketball watching life, isn't he?