Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-22-2022, 08:01 PM   #4301
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It's a felony charge for someone that already has a record, what the UFC wants may not figure into it.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:39 PM   #4302
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Really? You really think if they think he can sell a PPV that they are cutting him over this? This company will book anyone they think they can pop a buy rate from. They have no behavioral standard at this point. They basically encourage controversy.

He has lost his last 3, all poor to marginal performances and he is potentially going to be charged with a felony, which would likely bring jail time. So yeah, I think they let that ship sail. It's not like Dana and him are close anyway.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:31 PM   #4303
PilotMan
Head Coach

Man, judges never change. Not sure how they saw this Pitbull/McKee fight unanimously. It was really an incredible failure imo, and I have nothing but respect for Pitbull, and it's a great storyline, but damn, McKee simply outworked him in the 4th and the 5th. I had it 1/4/5 for McKee.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:17 AM   #4304
BYU 14
Coordinator

Katie Taylor and Amanda Serrano put on an absolute classic, that was easily the most significant fight in women's boxing history, like Ali / Frazier, Hearns / Hagler significant.

One of the most entertaining fights, regardless of gender or combat sport I have ever watched. At two points the crowd was so loud as they closed out rounds going toe to toe, he didn't hear the bell and let them fight well after it rang. Props to both ladies, can't wait to see the 2nd and 3rd fights between them down the road.
Old 05-06-2022, 04:46 PM   #4305
AlexB
Pro Starter

Watching Bellator 280 Paris…

Spoiler
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:02 PM   #4306
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Watching Bellator 280 Paris…

Spoiler

Quick reading reveals that weight cutting was an issue for Romero at time in UFC. Plus (as to why he's in Bellator), Romero is 45 years old and hadn't won a fight before this one since 2018.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:18 PM   #4307
molson
General Manager

He was a killer in his prime in UFC, tons of brutal knockouts.

Wasn't the same after they started drug testing though.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:38 PM   #4308
AlexB
Pro Starter

Wow. One judge of the main event of Bellator tonight needs to be fired.

Spoiler

Last edited by AlexB : 05-13-2022 at 05:40 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:23 AM   #4309
BYU 14
Coordinator

Holy Shit on the Texeira / Prochazka main event for the UFC 205 strap. One of the most vicious, grueling MMA fights I have ever seen, back and forth war the entire time. Imagine prime Glay Guida fighting himself and that is about what you got.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:07 AM   #4310
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, that was a good fight.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:51 PM   #4311
PilotMan
Head Coach

Pretty solid slate of fights tonight. Every single one brought it.

Like Steam?

Old 06-18-2022, 11:30 PM   #4312
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, a great card. I think they set the record for finishes tonight, with 9.
Old 08-20-2022, 06:09 AM   #4313
Edward64
Head Coach

Been reading up on BKFC (Bare Knuckle Fighting), caught my interest because it signed a couple serious Muay Thai hitters. Rules are below.

These guys are MT "legends" so I am interested in seeing how this translates to BKF. Seems like they are fighting with 6 out of 8 limbs "tied behind their backs" and risking more (reputation) than they will gain (money, fame).

Check out below video clip for some highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVCB731kopY

Quote:
Fighters are permitted to wrap and tape the wrist, thumb, and mid-hand. No gauze or tape can be within 1 inch of the knuckles.

Fighters will “Toe The Line” There are two lines, three feet apart, in the center of the ring where the fighters will start each round. The front foot will be on the line, and then the referee will instruct the fighters to “Knuckle Up” this means the beginning of the round/bout.

Punches are the only strike allowed and must be a closed fist. (No kicks, elbows, knees, or grappling)

In a clinch, the fighter may punch his way out with the open hand. If there is a three-second lull in action while clinching, the referee will break the fighters.

If a fighter gets knocked down, he will have 10 seconds to return to his feet, or the referee will stop the fight. You are NOT permitted to hit a downed fighter. If you do you will be disqualified, and your purse may be withheld. While a fighter is downed, the other fighter will be instructed to report to a neutral area.

If a fighter is cut, and the blood is impairing the fighter’s vision, the referee may call a timeout a give the cutman 30 seconds to stop the bleeding. If the cut cannot be controlled and the blood inhibits the fighter’s vision, the referee will stop the fight and award victory to the other fighter.

Fights are 2 minutes per round and each bout will be 5 rounds in length.

Attire: All fighters must have a groin protector with a cup, a mouthpiece, boxing trunks, and boxing/wrestling shoes.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-20-2022 at 06:12 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:32 AM   #4314
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Holy crap that was an incredible finish to the Usman-Edwards fight
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 04:18 AM   #4315
bhlloy
Coordinator

Leon Edwards has a crazy backstory… couldn’t be happier for the kid. Never would have seen Usman get caught like that, but great to have another British champ finally.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 07:50 PM   #4316
miami_fan
Coordinator

Dana White's Power Slap League gets approval from NSAC

For those who are not familiar with the sport of slapping, here is a quick clip. Evidently, we are going to get a sanitized version of this in the PSL.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 05:47 PM   #4317
PilotMan
Head Coach

RIP to a man who helped put the Ultimate Fighter on the map, Stephen Bonnar. 45 freaking years old, presumed heart issues.

Like Steam?

Old 12-24-2022, 06:11 PM   #4318
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Damn, that's young.
Old 01-05-2023, 01:20 PM   #4319
miami_fan
Coordinator

Unfortunate given my last post about Dana White.

UFC's Dana White apologizes for physical altercation with wife
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 05:08 PM   #4320
molson
General Manager

You can't make this stuff up - Dana White's Power Slap League is premiering soon on TBS. But it's being delayed a week now. It's just two guys slapping each other.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:57 AM   #4321
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
You can't make this stuff up - Dana White's Power Slap League is premiering soon on TBS. But it's being delayed a week now. It's just two guys slapping each other.

You have clearly never heard of Vasily. He is known by many nicknames including the Russian Slap God. Here are five minutes you will probably enjoy.

hxxps://youtu.be/jPW3dUmyEjE
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:26 PM   #4322
Atocep
Coordinator

So I watched the Paul/Fury fight.

First, Paul has improved a great deal but he's still low level professional level as a fighter. Fury has talent, but has a rep for not taking fighting very seriously. I think he took this fight pretty seriously and it showed. He was the better fighter, but Paul does have good power with his right. The problem is he spends the entire fight hunting a knockout with that right. He's one dimensional.

Because of Paul's popularity there's probably going to be controversy because of the point deductions, announcers leaning Paul's way on the decision, and Paul losing despite landing the knockdown in the 8th, but I had Fury winning a close fight.

All in all it was a solid fight and an entertaining card overall. Both guys in the undercard fight (Makabu and Jack) wipe the floor with Fury and Paul.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 06:10 PM   #4323
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm glad he lost.

As a pugilist, I had my doubts when he first started but he is a legit bad ass. I would not mess with him.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 11:37 AM   #4324
BYU 14
Coordinator

I thought it was an entertaining fight as well, and if Paul is as serious as he seems, it will be a great learning experience for him. Both these guys are nothing more than journeyman types right now, though Fury has at least developed the muscle memory a true fighter has and it was that advantage that won him the fight.

Paul has legit high level power, but he fights too robotically still and has not learned how to relax in the ring yet, which is why he gasses so fast. Those are things that experience will eventually help with. Still, his power kept me engaged in the fight, as Fury made some mistakes that left him open for the right hand, Paul just couldn't capitalize on them. Having formerly Boxed and being around the sport, I can say, Paul has improved at an impressive rate in a short period of time, but he really needs to re-think his path if he really wants this life IMO.

If I was handling him, I would tell him to forget about these big PPV spectacles right now. Since you are partnered with ESPN and PBC, work with them to get on the undercard of some upcoming big fights, and be more traditional in your career trajectory. Fight actual boxers, that don't have a name or drawing power that you can beat and grind for a year or so. The holes in Paul's game are all things that will improve through actual in ring experience, not in the gym and those will make the difference for him. If he continues to take fights like this last one, he is going to lose more and the novelty will wear off real quick. Pay your dues, then go for more events like this one.

On a side note, that referee, who I have never seen before, was absolutely crap. Imposed way too much of himself onto the fight and neither of the two times he took points away were worthy of point deductions. In fact it seemed the second time against Fury was almost a make up call.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:30 PM   #4325
molson
General Manager

I didn't know a thing about the Paul brothers until they started boxing/pro wrestling, so maybe I just didn't have a chance to develop any dislike for them, but I think it's pretty awesome that two kids from Ohio got rich from Youtube nonsense and then parlayed that into living out fantasies on the big stage of pro boxing PPVs against big-name MMA fighters and wrestling at Wrestlemania and in WWE title matches. And both are actually pretty good at it!

Last edited by molson : 02-27-2023 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:13 PM   #4326
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I didn't know a thing about the Paul brothers until they started boxing/pro wrestling, so maybe I just didn't have a chance to develop any dislike for them

Welllll, if you ever do want to develop a dislike for them just combine "Paul brothers" with the search terms "sexual assault", "suicide exploitation" or "crypto scam".

I relish the day those morons stop bleeding over into MMA 'news'.

Last edited by thesloppy : 02-27-2023 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:29 PM   #4327
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Speaking of MMA and shitty people, this weekend marks the return of Jon Jones to the UFC.I can talk all sorts of shit about Jones but I'll certainly also be watching. The rest of this card is absolutely stacked (on paper), anybody else looking forward to it?
Old 03-02-2023, 10:55 AM   #4328
molson
General Manager

Feels like a classic famous older guy v. less-famous younger guy fight where the better betting value is the younger guy, who usually wins these kinds of fights. And Jones is the favorite, though not overwhelmingly (-165).

Jones hasn't looked dominating for a while (and not since he last popped for PEDs). Moving up to heavyweight, that has to be considered too, he may have his compound pharmacies working overtime. Though - he actually looks kind of chubby.

I'll be in Oregon over the weekend with their legal betting (one of several things banned in my state but not over the border), and I'll probably lose some money in ill-advised parlays up and down this card.

Last edited by molson : 03-02-2023 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-02-2023, 10:57 AM   #4329
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

Sooooo, when they retire?
Old 03-02-2023, 11:37 AM   #4330
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Feels like a classic famous older guy v. less-famous younger guy fight where the better betting value is the younger guy, who usually wins these kinds of fights. And Jones is the favorite, though not overwhelmingly (-165).

Jones hasn't looked dominating for a while (and not since he last popped for PEDs). Moving up to heavyweight, that has to be considered too, he may have his compound pharmacies working overtime. Though - he actually looks kind of chubby.

I'll be in Oregon over the weekend with their legal betting (one of several things banned in my state but not over the border), and I'll probably lose some money in ill-advised parlays up and down this card.

Gonna agree with you here. Great chance for Gane. Jones has been chin checked many times at LHW and his advantages at 205 are going to be minimized in HW. I think with him having fewer fights on his body gives him some bonuses, and his overall talent is still there, but the HW division has undergone some changes as well since he was dreaming of moving up. I think I'd bet Gane and take the money. If you're going to catch Jones it's going to be in his first fight back in the cage with all the rust and speed coming at him all at once. Gane is only 3 years younger. Both guys have gone the distance enough that it they should know how to get there if they need to. I'm just not sure Jones will have as easy of a time at HW as we thought back in the day when he was cleaning out LHW.

Like Steam?

Old 03-02-2023, 07:34 PM   #4331
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Sooooo, when they retire?

Sad but true.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:46 PM   #4332
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I really don't know what to think about Jones. It's been sooo long since he fought & who the hell knows where his mind is at, especially after all the talk for literal years I am kind of surprised at how fast this fight came up on us & it'll be fascinating to see if he's immediately ready for top-level competition at HW. He's impossible to read because he's a calculating sociopath but even in the midst of previous issues/controversies he's never really exhibited any issues with the mental/motivation game once the fight starts, so maybe all of that's just my wishful thinking.

I absolutely want to see Gane piece him up early and often, but it will also be kind of great if he wins. Everybody loves a good heel.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:48 PM   #4333
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

I might do this too, but I am theee worst at betting MMA.
Old 03-04-2023, 10:51 PM   #4334
thesloppy
Pro Starter

"I always wanted one of these" ~Joe Rogan
Old 03-05-2023, 01:37 PM   #4335
molson
General Manager

Fortunately never got around to betting!
Old 03-06-2023, 10:49 AM   #4336
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
He has lost his last 3, all poor to marginal performances and he is potentially going to be charged with a felony, which would likely bring jail time. So yeah, I think they let that ship sail. It's not like Dana and him are close anyway.

UFC 287 co-main event on April 8th.

If this company will book Jon Jones in a title fight after his long line of criminal offenses, they will book anyone. ANYONE. I know most people tend to forget, but we should all remember that Jon Jones was convicted of winning a fight against a female waitress that was just trying to do her job. Maybe we can book a re-match for his first title defense.
Old 10-13-2023, 05:39 PM   #4337
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Welllll, if you ever do want to develop a dislike for them just combine "Paul brothers" with the search terms "sexual assault", "suicide exploitation" or "crypto scam".

Let's get ready to scaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmm

Round 1!

Exposing Logan Paul v. Dillon Danis - YouTube
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 06:44 PM   #4338
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Let's get ready to scaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmm

Round 1!

Exposing Logan Paul v. Dillon Danis - YouTube

God, that's a vortex of buttholes. Dillion Dannis is like a case of MMA herpes that Conor McGregor left us all with, how/why is he still here?
Old 10-28-2023, 06:17 PM   #4339
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

What happens if Tyson Fury loses this fight? Through 7 Ngannou has a real chance. He’s knocked Fury down and cut him. ESPN live play by play has it tied with Fury fading faster than Ngannou.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:20 PM   #4340
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Two rounds left and Fury needs both of them.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:26 PM   #4341
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

ESPN gave them both to Fury but called the last one close. Final scorecards incoming.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:32 PM   #4342
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

split decision for Fury.

Buster Douglas still has the record for biggest upset of a Tyson (Mike instead of Fury)
Old 10-28-2023, 06:34 PM   #4343
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Split decision has to be a home run for Ngannou. Wonder if these two rematch it up after Fury-Usyk.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:37 PM   #4344
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wouldn't this result be a strong indication that Fury is pretty much cooked?
Old 10-28-2023, 06:38 PM   #4345
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Depends on how good Ngannou really is a I guess.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:39 PM   #4346
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

If he’s the 2nd best heavyweight in the world but was just playing the wrong sport this whole time then no. I mean Fury didn’t look cooked in his last fight before this.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:45 PM   #4347
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Depends on how good Ngannou really is a I guess.

He's an aging MMA fighter. Might be a tough guy but there's zero planets where he should be taking an alleged legit top boxer to the limit (and by most accounts beating him except for sketchy judging)

Maybe Fury is a top 2 heavyweight ... and it's really boxing that's completely cooked.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:01 PM   #4348
Atocep
Coordinator

I think the most likely thing is Fury didn't take this fight seriously since it wasn't a title fight and wanted to get through training and this fight healthy for the Osyk fight.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 11:16 PM   #4349
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
He's an aging MMA fighter. Might be a tough guy but there's zero planets where he should be taking an alleged legit top boxer to the limit (and by most accounts beating him except for sketchy judging)

Maybe Fury is a top 2 heavyweight ... and it's really boxing that's completely cooked.

Quite honestly I was surprised how good Ngannou looked, considering his lack of experience. He looked natural, athletic and showed good timing. Quite honestly there are guys in the top 10-15 he beats right now and if he stays in boxing he could become a contender. The big hole I saw in his game is not putting punches together consistently and looking for the big punch instead. Beyond that his defense was not terrible and he has a chin.

That said, I don't think Fury took him seriously and most likely viewed this as a hard sparring session he would make bank on, without disrupting his date with Usyk.

After tonight though, I say there is absolutely no way we see Fury / Usyk this year, as Fury was an embarrasment.
Old 10-29-2023, 05:39 AM   #4350
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

There is a real argument that the heavyweight division is just terrible right now. The champs are Fury and a Cruiserweight. The Heavyweight kingpin before Fury was a sloppy power puncher without much in the way of actual boxing skills.

I honestly don’t see why a guy like Ngannou couldn’t be competitive in this division.