Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #101
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
People who write checks at the grocery store

People who write checks to pay for gasoline.

We take checks where I work and I don't mind checks per se since we have a detail shop so I understand businesses getting cars detailed, writing a check and signing it for a pickup person.

The person that pays for their $10 in gas each week with a check (you know who you are) drives me fucking nuts. God forbid the check machine isn't working (it processes them eloectronically so we don't get hosed) since they always seem to think we shut it down just to F with them personally despite being probably the only gas station company in the state that takes checks...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #102
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
*People who speed up when you try to get in their lane, preventing you from getting over.

*I order a bacon cheeseburger plain and I get a burger without bacon or cheese. (Duh, I would've ordered a fucking plain burger if that's all I wanted.)

*Businesses not taking responsibility. Example: I ordered something online from Shane's Rib Shack, to be picked up on my lunch break. I get there and they hadn't even seen the order yet. I complain to the manager and he explains "oh, it's a third party company that set that system up". What the fuck does that matter? You contracted them to do it. You take responsibility for it!

*When people get pissed off at you for walking in near closing. The Walmart near me actually closes at midnight, and people are incredibly rude if I walk in at 11:55. Look, if you're open until midnight, then it means exactly that. If you don't want people walking in at 11:55, then close at 11:55.

You obviously don't work retail...

So by your logic, you're perfectly fine with me counting down my drawer at 12 midnight despite you still wandering the aisles aimlessly? I mean, we DO close at midnight...
Old 10-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #103
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This one dude at work doesn't get the Bros before Hos thing with lunch.

This is fairly non structured retail. I can basically go to lunch at almost point in a two hour period. We will invariably debate on a time. Then agree on a place.

Of course 15 mins before we leave he will be like "Katie is stopping by for lunch".

So I gotta scramble to find another lunch buddy or eat alone.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #104
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Chubby

In New York can you use food stamps to buy cold prepared Foods, slurpees, fountain drinks, etc? I used to work at a Sheetz in PA and it would slay me when people used EBT to buy frozen coffee drinks. Or 40 bucks worth of cold subs.

Last edited by stevew : 10-10-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #105
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sheetz is gas station/food store
Old 10-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #106
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Chubby

In New York can you use food stamps to buy cold prepared Foods, slurpees, fountain drinks, etc? I used to work at a Sheetz in PA and it would slay me when people used EBT to buy frozen coffee drinks. Or 40 bucks worth of cold subs.

At some places you can, we don't accept them (EBS). The child support cards are a big enough headache since they only work in the store and not at the pumps (which they then prepay gas, don't pump it, it times out and refunds back onto their card but the refund doesn't show up for 3-5 days)
Old 10-10-2009, 06:19 PM   #107
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Sheetz is gas station/food store

When I lived in State College I learned of Sheetz
Old 10-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #108
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

People who send email in text message language.

"Hi. How r u 2dy?"

Even worse when it's your boss.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #109
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
You obviously don't work retail...

So by your logic, you're perfectly fine with me counting down my drawer at 12 midnight despite you still wandering the aisles aimlessly? I mean, we DO close at midnight...

Not sure where you got that bolded part from my statement. When I'm in at that hour, it's usually to pick up something quick.

I have worked retail and when I did, I never expected to leave at the same time that the store closed. That's just silly. If Walmart wants all their employees to leave by midnight, then they need to close earlier than midnight.

I mean, I've had shitty jobs before, but it's ridiculous to be mad at someone for walking into a store that says "OPEN".

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #110
stevew
Hall Of Famer

You can come in at 1155 but you damn well better be ready to check out by midnight.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #111
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

WaWa> Sheetz
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:54 AM   #112
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
WaWa> Sheetz

Never heard of Sheetz, but I've lived in NJ and Maryland, and Wawa pretty much is the shit, no questions asked.... I wish they had them in NY
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:06 AM   #113
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

WaWa is one of the things I miss most about the east coast. There really is nothing else like it.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #114
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not sure where you got that bolded part from my statement. When I'm in at that hour, it's usually to pick up something quick.

I have worked retail and when I did, I never expected to leave at the same time that the store closed. That's just silly. If Walmart wants all their employees to leave by midnight, then they need to close earlier than midnight.

I mean, I've had shitty jobs before, but it's ridiculous to be mad at someone for walking into a store that says "OPEN".

Because generally, that's what people do when they pop in 5 minutes before a store closes. If somebody is running in and cahses out quick I could care less, cashiers get pissed because usually the tool that runs in at 5 mins before close farts around.

The point isn't to be out at midnight but if they are supposed to close at midnight then don't complain if they close at midnight whether you are ready or not.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #115
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
WaWa> Sheetz

Wouldn't suprise me. Never been to a WaWa. But after finding out the harsh reality that having a penis eliminated you from advancement opportunity. And also having a supervisor steal 100 out of my register. I'm not very high on Sheetz anymore.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #116
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
forgot about smokers who throw their butt out their car window

FM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Atrocious Internet spelling/grammar. To wit:

Lose/Loose
You're Your
Ridiculous/Rediculous

etc etc...and if you are one of the guilty I sincerely apologize....for not smashing your keyboard to bits.

These, plus the reverse of the 11:55. When I worked retail it would invariably be the indecisive asshole who came in five minutes before closing. I worked in a bookstore, so this was especially fun as they read snippets of the books they were considering buying.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #117
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Because generally, that's what people do when they pop in 5 minutes before a store closes. If somebody is running in and cahses out quick I could care less, cashiers get pissed because usually the tool that runs in at 5 mins before close farts around.

So then why not get pissed at the tool who farts around and not the person who dares to walk into the store that says it's open?

And also, I'm wondering how your managers set your schedules? When I worked at Blockbuster and we closed at 11pm, my schedule was set to 11:30 or midnight (if they wanted me to help close). Therefore, I didn't care if someone came in 5 minutes before close. I was leaving at 11:30 anyways.

Quote:
The point isn't to be out at midnight

Ummm, you were the one mentioning that you will have to wait until midnight to count down your register, as if that's some huge burden I'm causing you.

Quote:
but if they are supposed to close at midnight then don't complain if they close at midnight whether you are ready or not.

But I didn't complain about that, so I'm not sure why you're bringing that up. I'm not sure why you insist on responding to arguments that I'm not making.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 10-11-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #118
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
These, plus the reverse of the 11:55. When I worked retail it would invariably be the indecisive asshole who came in five minutes before closing. I worked in a bookstore, so this was especially fun as they read snippets of the books they were considering buying.

But as I said in my other response, when is your manager setting your schedule? I mean, if theyre telling you that you go home at midnight and you can't go home at midnight, it sounds like the beef is with your manager? If he sets your schedule to 12:30, then it shouldn't matter that the guy came in at 11:55.

Also, does anyone go up and tell the "indecisive asshole" that you're closing? If he ignores you, then I can see why he'd be an asshole (and I'd call a a manager). But there's a chance he might not exactly know that you're closing. I know I don't always read the closing time when I walk in and am frequently surprised at how early some places close on a Sunday. So the "indecisive asshole" just might not know that you're closing.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #119
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So then why not get pissed at the tool who farts around and not the person who dares to walk into the store that says it's open?

And also, I'm wondering how your managers set your schedules? When I worked at Blockbuster and we closed at 11pm, my schedule was set to 11:30 or midnight (if they wanted me to help close). Therefore, I didn't care if someone came in 5 minutes before close. I was leaving at 11:30 anyways.

Ummm, you were the one mentioning that you will have to wait until midnight to count down your register, as if that's some huge burden I'm causing you.

But I didn't complain about that, so I'm not sure why you're bringing that up. I'm not sure why you insist on responding to arguments that I'm not making.
I do get pissed at the guy that farts around. The person that comes in close to close is USUALLY the guy that farts around, you can tell right away (at my job at least).

Being the supervisor I write the schedule That said, I don't want to dick around any later then I need to. I'd rather take off at 12:15 than at 12:30

My point was if you are saying the cashier shouldn't care about the customer coming in at 11:55 then you as the customer shouldn't care when I count my drawer down at 12:00.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #120
hoopsguy
General Manager

A couple of peeves on the home front:
1.) Squeezing the toothpaste in the middle rather than from the bottom. I'm really not sure why it annoys me so much but it does.
2.) Not cleaning out the lint trap in the drying machine - I get really aggravated when I go to change it and it is clear that multiple loads have run through without this being swapped out.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #121
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:
But as I said in my other response, when is your manager setting your schedule? I mean, if theyre telling you that you go home at midnight and you can't go home at midnight, it sounds like the beef is with your manager? If he sets your schedule to 12:30, then it shouldn't matter that the guy came in at 11:55.

Also, does anyone go up and tell the "indecisive asshole" that you're closing? If he ignores you, then I can see why he'd be an asshole (and I'd call a a manager). But there's a chance he might not exactly know that you're closing. I know I don't always read the closing time when I walk in and am frequently surprised at how early some places close on a Sunday. So the "indecisive asshole" just might not know that you're closing.

The schedule was 3:30-close, which meant that whenever the last customer left the store + counting down the drawer + cleaning up the books left lying around. As for the second part, we weren't allowed to directly say anything to a customer so as not to be "rude." If he ignored the overhead speaker's "It is now 11:00 and we are closed" announcements he could basically stay as long as he wanted.

If you DON'T do those, things - then don't feel like we're attacking you with this pet peeve
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #122
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm still pouting about this thread.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #123
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I hate people who diss the the Colts instead of realizing the greatness that they are.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #124
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Police detectives who walk past 'their' men's room, across the walkway between the buildings and take a dump in 'our' men's room, while reading the morning paper.

Sounds like a Mel Brooks movie when they're in there.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #125
Radii
Head Coach

My top sports pet peeve is people who constantly complain about the refs during games. There are two categories here. One is a fan who just loves pointing out mistakes. Another is a fan who constantly feels like the refs are biased against their team and complains incessantly about ever call that goes against their team. The second drives me insane.

As for me, I always eat one thing at a time(usually vegetable->side->main course), so I guess I would annoy the piss out of a few here myself

Last edited by Radii : 10-12-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #126
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
As for me, I always eat one thing at a time(usually vegetable->side->main course), so I guess I would annoy the piss out of a few here myself

I do this too, but in the reverse order - main course->side->vegetable.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #127
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

When I was a kid I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I ate my vegetables. I eventually learned that if i put it off that they got even worse when cold, and my parents had an iron will, no getting out of it. So I would immediately eat my veggies while they were still hot and tasted as palatable as possible and then move on to the more enjoyable parts of the meal. I dunno if its an OCD thing at this point for me or not but that's where it originated.

Last edited by Radii : 10-12-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #128
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
When I was a kid I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I ate my vegetables. I eventually learned that if i put it off that they got even worse when cold, and my parents had an iron will, no getting out of it. So I would immediately eat my veggies while they were still hot and tasted as palatable as possible and then move on to the more enjoyable parts of the meal. I dunno if its an OCD thing at this point for me or not but that's where it originated.

You just had to be more stubborn. My sister used to go to bed and my parents would find she still had a wad of spinach stuffed in her cheek.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:59 AM   #129
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

My pet peeve is people who have pet peeves
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #130
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
You just had to be more stubborn. My sister used to go to bed and my parents would find she still had a wad of spinach stuffed in her cheek.

That's pretty awesome.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #131
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post
People that don't merge early, zip by you in the lane that is obviously closed up ahead, and then expect to be allowed to merge at the very end. Extremely inefficient for traffic, and plain rude and greedy. (If people did not do that the probability of a jam in the first place will decrease because everyone would just glide through the chokepoint instead of hesistating due to the late merger).

I actually swing out into the lane that's closing and hold my position, relative to other drivers. And wouldn't you know it, the person I was in front of before always lets me back in at the end. I get some colorful looks from the people I'm now in front of too.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #132
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
I actually swing out into the lane that's closing and hold my position, relative to other drivers. And wouldn't you know it, the person I was in front of before always lets me back in at the end. I get some colorful looks from the people I'm now in front of too.

Yeah people who pull moves like that are the first ones I'd shoot in an incident of road rage.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #133
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I inch closer to the person in front of me because of people like you.

Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #134
Autumn
Head Coach

I'm with you DataKing ;-) I don't do that, but I definitely make it harder for people to zip on by everybody in the breakdown lane or closing lane. Get in line with everybody else, Francis.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #135
SportsDino
College Prospect

My road rage is channelled purely into calculating the best way to tip annoying drivers to minimize damage to my car and cause them to spin out and explode in a fireball in the ditch. I have not snapped... yet!

I let people merge who are just following traffic. If you zip along and are obviously being an ass I'll block you all the way to the front and laugh as ten cars too close to cut in front of run by as you cuss.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:02 AM   #136
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Gum snapping, coffee slurping, using the elevator to go down 1 floor, chew with their mouth open, scrapping your teeth against a fork or spoon, scrapping a yogurt cup to get every last bit of freakin yogurt out, whistling, using the cell phone while driving, texting while driving, using the self checkout lanes with a cart full of stuff, racing to the next open register when you are at the back of the line with a bunch of people that are ahead of you.

I'm sure there are others.

I do this with greek yogurt. The stuff's pretty damn tasty; matter-of-fact, I did it today!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:15 AM   #137
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

x2

People always give me flack about it, but when I'm hungry I want to enjoy the best part of my meal while I'm at my most hungriest!
Old 10-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #138
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Thought of another one:

People with non-medical PhD degrees who have their email signature be: Dr. SoAndSo or refer to themselves as Dr. SoAndSo.

I'm in IT where most guys I know with PhDs don't do that, but I work with a lot of environmental scientists where that seems to happen more often.

I don't like the whole Dr. salutation in general. It implies a certain elevated status where one shouldn't (imho) exist.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #139
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Thought of another one:

People with non-medical PhD degrees who have their email signature be: Dr. SoAndSo or refer to themselves as Dr. SoAndSo.

I'm in IT where most guys I know with PhDs don't do that, but I work with a lot of environmental scientists where that seems to happen more often.

I don't like the whole Dr. salutation in general. It implies a certain elevated status where one shouldn't (imho) exist.

I have occasionally thought about getting my PhD in something for the express purpose of making people address me as Doctor.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #140
Drake
assmaster

Wives who ask you to wake them up in the morning when you go to work, then refuse to get up over and over again until they're late, then bitch at you for not trying hard enough.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #141
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post

I feel that way about chefs. Sorry, I'm not going to refer to you as 'Chef' so-and-so, Boyardee.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #142
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

People who leave a voicemail and say their number faster than I can write it.

Slow the fuck down.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #143
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

People who go in a grocery store through the exit doors. It says EXIT for a reason: to direct traffic.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #144
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
People who leave a voicemail and say their number faster than I can write it.

Slow the fuck down.

Or people who can't even be bothered to leave you a callback number. Thanks alot, asshole...now I have to look it up.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 10-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #145
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Or people who can't even be bothered to leave you a callback number. Thanks alot, asshole...now I have to look it up.

that and also people who talk to you (let alone call you) once or twice a year and don't even name themselves. They usually go straight to "hi, you know this thing about blah blah..."

What, am I supposed to instinctly know who you are by the tone of your voice on the first five words you say?

FM
Old 10-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #146
heybrad
Norm!!!

People who answer their cell phone and immediately respond with... "Can I call you back?" That's what voicemail is for. If you can't talk, don't answer.

Elevator traffic. There is a clear pattern. The doors open, the people on the elevator should be allowed off and then the people wanting on the elevator can board. I'm always amazed at the guy waiting right in the middle with his nose two inches from the door who has to dosey doe with people trying to get off the elevator. Get out of the way.

Last edited by heybrad : 10-16-2009 at 02:13 PM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #147
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Wives who ask you to wake them up in the morning when you go to work, then refuse to get up over and over again until they're late, then bitch at you for not trying hard enough.

You have more than one?
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #148
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Yank the covers clean off the bed next time.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 10-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #149
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

or jump on the bed
Old 10-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #150
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

When people didn't wake up in boot camp, the cc would hit a metal trash can with a baton. Needless to say, a pretty shitty way to start your day. I highly recommend this method if

1) the wife needs to wake up
2) you have no problem sleeping on the couch for a few nights afterwards
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote