Hall Of Famer

The Rockets were trying but then went on that crazy win streak

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:08 PM   #52
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Gotta be the most amazing last 5 seconds of a game for this season, regardless of what happens from this point, right?

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 04:20 PM   #53
miami_fan
Coordinator

Kyrie is winning.

Sources -- Brooklyn Nets to bring back Kyrie Irving for road games
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 04:49 PM   #54
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

I wondered why the Nets weren't doing this from the beginning of the season...
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 04:51 PM   #55
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Nash today was also talking about KD resting more, but I'm sure it is just a coincidence
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 05:08 PM   #56
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post

To paraphrase a fellow member of the board, they probably did not want to give the impression that the "players were running the asylum"

This is especially the case for someone like Kyrie who is prone to mental health breaks throughout the season anyways. However desperate times...
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-17-2021, 06:42 PM   #57
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jokic may be my favorite player to watch. His vision is amazing. Some on the passes he makes are unreal.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:09 PM   #58
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Jokic may be my favorite player to watch. His vision is amazing. Some on the passes he makes are unreal.

We're basically getting to see what an Arvydas in his prime may have looked like in the NBA.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 09:47 PM   #59
miami_fan
Coordinator

At least Lebron could depend on Malik Monk today.
Old 12-25-2021, 10:40 PM   #60
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley

To put pressure on Kyrie to change his mind, because continuity and chemistry matter, I expect those were the sort of reasons.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:36 PM   #61
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Klay returns tomorrow. That is all.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:38 PM   #62
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think the Nets can just pay a nominal(for them) fine and play Kyrie a home, right? They kicked the shit out of the bulls tonight and played 2-3 g league type guys.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:50 PM   #63
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola-fines are apparently in the 5000$ a game range. Considering they’re potentially paying Kyrie about 450k a game it seems like peanuts.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:51 PM   #64
Atocep
Coordinator

From The Athletic's Fred Katz:

The last Knick's first round pick to secure a 2nd contract with the team was Charlie Ward, who was drafted in 1994.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:13 PM   #65
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
From The Athletic's Fred Katz:

The last Knick's first round pick to secure a 2nd contract with the team was Charlie Ward, who was drafted in 1994.

You had to figure that'd make me curious

John Wallace, Walter McCarty, Dontae Jones, John Thomas, Frederic Weis, Donnell Harvey, Nene, Michael Sweetney, Channing Frye, David Lee, Renaldo Balkman, Mardy Collins, Wilson Chandler, Danillo Gallinari, Jordan Hill, Iman Shumpert, Tim Hardaway Jr, Kristaps Porzingis, Frank Ntilikina, Kevin Knox.

Still pending: RJ Barrett, Obi Toppin, Leandro Bolmaro
Old 01-14-2022, 01:19 PM   #66
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Bolmaro was traded to the Wolves before signing a first contract with the Knicks.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:39 PM   #67
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You had to figure that'd make me curious

John Wallace, Walter McCarty, Dontae Jones, John Thomas, Frederic Weis, Donnell Harvey, Nene, Michael Sweetney, Channing Frye, David Lee, Renaldo Balkman, Mardy Collins, Wilson Chandler, Danillo Gallinari, Jordan Hill, Iman Shumpert, Tim Hardaway Jr, Kristaps Porzingis, Frank Ntilikina, Kevin Knox.

Still pending: RJ Barrett, Obi Toppin, Leandro Bolmaro

I did the same exercise. Crazy that they haven't hit on one draft pick in almost 3 decades.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:49 PM   #68
stevew
Hall Of Famer

One of either Quickley or Barrett will almost certainly be extended you'd think.

elow are the players that New York drafted that appeared in more than five games for the franchise. We explained how each of them ended up on a new team after their tenure with the Knicks.

KRISTAPS PORZINGIS, NO. 4 OVERALL PICK (2015)

The 7-foot-3 big man was traded to the Dallas Mavericks in exchange for Dennis Smith Jr., two expiring contracts and enough cap space to sign two max contracts this offseason.

CLEANTHONY EARLY, NO. 34 OVERALL PICK (2014)

While the former Wichita State forward was signed by the team in 2016, he was waived just three days later.

TIM HARDAWAY JR., NO. 24 OVERALL PICK (2013)

During his first stint with the organization, he was traded to the Atlanta Hawks in exchange for the draft rights to Jerian Grant in June 2015. Grant played just one season for New York before he was traded to the Bulls. He eventually made his way back to the Knicks during free agency on a hefty deal.

IMAN SHUMPERT, NO. 17 OVERALL PICK (2011)

The 2016 NBA champion played three seasons for the Knicks before he was traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2015, eventually playing a role in a team that won a title for the franchise.

LANDRY FIELDS, NO. 39 OVERALL PICK (2010)

The Knicks tendered a qualifying offer to the former Stanford guard during the 2012 offseason, which made Landry Fields a restricted free agent. But the Raptors offered him a three-year deal worth $20 million that New York declined to match.

JORDAN HILL, NO. 8 OVERALL PICK (2009)

Just one year after he was selected in the lottery, he was moved at the trade deadline to land a 30-year-old Tracy McGrady.

DANILLO GALLINARI, NO. 6 OVERALL PICK (2008)

Even though he missed much of his rookie season, after his sophomore campaign, New York picked up the third-year option on his contract. But during his third season, he was traded to the Denver Nuggets as part of the package to land Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups.

WILSON CHANDLER, NO. 23 OVERALL PICK (2007)

After three seasons with the Knicks, New York general manager Donnie Walsh said the plan was to sign Wilson Chandler to a long-term contract extension. Less than one month later, he was included alongside Gallinari and sent via trade to the Nuggets.

RENALDO BALKMAN, NO. 20 OVERALL PICK (2006)

It was a surprising draft choice for the Knicks, especially considering many other teams reportedly did not even have Balkman on their draft radar. But he played four seasons with New York — two at the beginning of his career and two at the end of his time in the NBA. He was traded in 2008 because he was not getting playing time behind Gallinari and Chandler.

MARDY COLLINS, NO. 29 OVERALL PICK (2006)

The former first-rounder was included in a trade alongside Zach Randolph that sent Tim Thomas and Cuttino Mobley to the Knicks.

CHANNING FRYE, NO. 8 OVERALL PICK (2005)

After he was selected in the lottery, Channing Frye played two seasons with New York. He made the NBA All-Rookie 1st Team in 2006 but was used in a trade to land Randolph in June 2007.

DAVID LEE, NO. 30 OVERALL PICK (2005)

The power forward was actually given a second contract with New York, though it was a one-year deal for $7 million in 2009-10. He made an All-Star appearance that year but the following offseason, Lee was included in a sign-and-trade to the Golden State Warriors.

TREVOR ARIZA, NO. 43 OVERALL PICK (2004)

Drafted out of Westchester High School in Los Angeles, he became the youngest to ever play for the Knicks. He also played the most minutes ever for a rookie in franchise history. During his third year in the league, he was traded with Penny Hardaway for Steve Francis.

MIKE SWEETNEY, NO. 9 OVERALL PICK (2003)

The power forward was a Top 10 selection out of Georgetown in 2003. He was traded with Tim Thomas and Jermaine Jackson for Eddy Curry and Antonio Davis right before the season began in 2005.

LAVOR POSTELL, NO. 39 OVERALL PICK (2000)

After a college career at nearby St. John’s in Queens, the wing was drafted by the Knicks. He played 61 games in three seasons but was never given another NBA contract, eventually playing international basketball.

JOHN WALLACE, NO. 18 OVERALL PICK (1996)

The New York-born basketball player went to college upstate in Syracuse and was a first-round pick by the Knicks. He played just one season for the Knicks before he was traded to the Toronto Raptors. Wallace later re-signed with the franchise after two years in Toronto.

WALTER MCCARTY, NO. 19 OVERALL PICK (1996)

The current head coach of the University of Evansville was traded by the Knicks to the Boston Celtics after his rookie season.

MONTY WILLIAMS, NO. 24 OVERALL PICK (1994)

Currently an assistant coach for the Philadelphia 76ers, Monty Williams was traded to the San Antonio Spurs during his second year in the league.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:53 PM   #69
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think the Nets can just pay a nominal(for them) fine and play Kyrie a home, right? They kicked the shit out of the bulls tonight and played 2-3 g league type guys.

I really want the owner of the Nets to do this. That would be politically incorrect.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:03 PM   #70
JPhillips
General Manager

The easier path is just convincing Adams to make an exception to the rule. Honestly, I'd be surprised f this doesn't happen before the playoffs.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:46 PM   #71
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Steven Adams carrying Tony Bradley like a first grader is pretty good amusement.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:15 PM   #72
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Adams can literally win games with his screens it seems. The Cavs played Memphis earlier this year and just got leveled by him.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:47 PM   #73
spleen1015
Coordinator

Grayson Allen doing Grayson Allen things.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:33 PM   #74
Atocep
Coordinator

He really learned his lesson when Coach K suspended him for that half.
Old 01-22-2022, 04:42 PM   #75
Atocep
Coordinator

And Caruso out a couple of months and needs surgery on his wrist after the Grayson Allen foul.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:02 PM   #76
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

If he does this in games, you know he does this in practice. I don't understand how in the world he keeps getting away with it.

There was always one guy who felt he had to stop someone from getting past him, and if it was a foul, so be it. But you don't call fouls or stop the game to shoot free-throws when you're playing pickup. So they never played pick-up ball because they'd get into fights if they did. But usually those guys didn't stick with it very long.

Only time I've ever done something "dirty" in a game (I was lousy, total gym rat, but no talent, couldn't even make the varsity) was an intramural game against a team with one of those guys. I was bringing the ball upcourt and he started his thing in the backcourt of all things. Hated that guy. So I had to throw an outlet pass and made sure to follow through with my elbow. He left me alone the rest of the game.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:56 PM   #77
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I don't understand how in the world he keeps getting away with it.

Despite the number of times he has been involved in incidents like this, he still is not that sort of player.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:01 PM   #78
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thankfully that animal Allen is suspended for the Cavs game this week. We can't take another season ending injury as we're already down 3 good players.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:08 PM   #79
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't get how he continues to get a pass. He tried to injure Ja Morant a couple weeks back.

It'll take him hurting a league star before they do anything (and he has tried) before they start treating him as the cancer he is to the league.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:23 PM   #80
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The East is so wide open. With Markkanen going down, the Cavs have to make a move for someone. Harrison Barnes, Buddy Hield, Caris LaVert among others would be great gets.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:02 AM   #81
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is there anyone in the league that the Lakers haven’t tried to trade Talen Horton Tucker and a 2028 1st for? And THT is clearly in that “just a guy” zone as long as he keeps shooting 25% from 3.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:20 AM   #82
Atocep
Coordinator

Outside of honoring retiring players, Andrew Wiggins is the worst all star starter since?
Old 01-28-2022, 11:42 AM   #83
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Insane

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 01-28-2022 at 11:43 AM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:41 PM   #84
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Outside of honoring retiring players, Andrew Wiggins is the worst all star starter since?

There’s gotta have been some really bad centers
Old 01-28-2022, 12:46 PM   #85
stevew
Hall Of Famer

BJ Armstrong started in 94 from what I read
Old 02-08-2022, 03:28 PM   #86
Atocep
Coordinator

What in the hell are the Pelicans and Kings doing?
Old 02-08-2022, 03:36 PM   #87
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought Portland absolutely gave away Powell the other day too. He's 45/40/80 and on a contract for 5 years only averaging 19million.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:14 PM   #88
RainMaker
General Manager

Yao Ming was voted a starter and I think had been out for over a year. Kobe and Iverson also got voted starter at the end of their careers when they were really washed up.

There have been some really bad big man selections over the years but I can't think of any that started.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:29 PM   #89
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I thought Portland absolutely gave away Powell the other day too. He's 45/40/80 and on a contract for 5 years only averaging 19million.

The Powell deal was weird, but makes a little more sense now. I still don't think it was a good deal, but it doesn't look as bad. Portland just getting out of McCollum's contract and getting value back in return is an accomplishment. I'm guessing Lillard goes to the highest bidder this offseason.

The Kings giving up Haliburton is kind of stunning. He definitely has some flaws right now, but 21 year old guards with his size and skill set are kind of a rarity in the NBA.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:37 PM   #90
rjolley
College Starter

McCollum to the Pelicans doesn't make sense for Portland. Sure, it clears cap space, but it seems like there should've been a better deal than what they got. They couldn't get a player to pair with Lillard out of it? Embiid should be pissed they couldn't get a Simmons for McCollum deal done.

The Kings...no idea. They already have a ton of young bigs, so they trade 2 of their best wing players for a young big. Yay? Yes, they had a backlog at point with Fox, Haliburton, and Mitchell, but, again, it seems like they should've gotten more out of them in a trade.

An odd couple of trades...looking forward to more.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:46 PM   #91
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
McCollum to the Pelicans doesn't make sense for Portland. Sure, it clears cap space, but it seems like there should've been a better deal than what they got. They couldn't get a player to pair with Lillard out of it? Embiid should be pissed they couldn't get a Simmons for McCollum deal done.

The Kings...no idea. They already have a ton of young bigs, so they trade 2 of their best wing players for a young big. Yay? Yes, they had a backlog at point with Fox, Haliburton, and Mitchell, but, again, it seems like they should've gotten more out of them in a trade.

An odd couple of trades...looking forward to more.

McCollum's contract, injury history, and age are why he's difficult to move. Morey wasn't touching McCollum. He turned that deal down months ago and was only interested in Lillard.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:57 PM   #92
RainMaker
General Manager

My thought on Portland's stance. 26-year old Hart at $12 million is better to have than 30-year old McCollum at $33 million for a team that needs to re-tool/rebuild.

Alexander-Walker has some sneaky potential. And you're getting a late lottery pick in a draft that looks kind of deep.

So a starter on a good deal. A young rotation player with potential. Later lottery pick. And you get out of the luxury tax and even have a little cap space to take on a contract for a pick this season.

I think that's a pretty good return for McCollum who is expensive and will be declining.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:00 PM   #93
RainMaker
General Manager

I have no clue what Sacramento is doing besides mortgaging the future for a chance to lose in the play-in game.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:05 PM   #94
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
McCollum's contract, injury history, and age are why he's difficult to move. Morey wasn't touching McCollum. He turned that deal down months ago and was only interested in Lillard.

I remember the collapsed lung, but not much else injury-wise. Looked it up. He's had some more serious injuries over the last few years, so he's a risk. But when he's on the court, he's still playing at a high level. Not an All-Star but a solid veteran scorer who would help a playoff team that needs outside scoring and playmaking.

With the cap space that Portland can clear, hopefully they can sign some pieces around Lillard.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:25 PM   #95
RainMaker
General Manager

Josh Hart is a really good player. I think people are really underrating his game. Portland won that trade by a mile.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:39 PM   #96
miami_fan
Coordinator

That is the thing. Both the Pelicans and the Kings are desperate to make the play in tournament.

I am sure both teams are fooling themselves into believing that if they can get into the play in tournament, it could have a similar effect on their team as it did on the Grizzlies.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:58 PM   #97
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Josh Hart is a really good player. I think people are really underrating his game. Portland won that trade by a mile.

Totally agree. I think Blazers won this trade. I love CJ but at this stage I think Hart is the better player
Old 02-08-2022, 11:32 PM   #98
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really liked LeVert for the corpse of Rubio and some late picks. I think they would have been in on CJ but he was going to cost like 20 million because they’d be going from getting 11-13million to paying about 7 million. I’d be happy if the Cavs finish in the top 6 and win a playoff game or 3.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:02 PM   #99
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If Harden for Simmons happens, that's gotta be up there in an all time trade. Say what you want, but 2 all-stars don't typically switch teams.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:22 PM   #100
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
If Harden for Simmons happens, that's gotta be up there in an all time trade. Say what you want, but 2 all-stars don't typically switch teams.

Especially in the division. As a Nets fan from a basketball side I am ok with it. They have plenty of shooters so Simmons wouldn't be pressured to score and the other parts of his game would be really helpful.