Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2022, 09:26 PM   #51
QuikSand
lolzcat

Would we push ownership to spend to pursue one of these veteran "manager" coaches plus Joe Brady as OC?

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:32 PM   #52
JPhillips
General Manager

Flores is a NY guy and I think the Giants will be looking for a culture fit in NY after the past few failures. Flores would be good with the fan base, IMO.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:19 PM   #53
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, Flores would be a no brainer IMO. The only question is whether he wants the Giants with the other jobs available.

I think with a new coach it’s also more realistic to reconsider the statement that Jones is the QB1 this year. It would be logical to suggest the hottest coaches and GMs on the market might balk at being told that by the owner.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:33 AM   #54
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Would we push ownership to spend to pursue one of these veteran "manager" coaches plus Joe Brady as OC?

Is Joe Brady good, or did Joe Brady call plays for Joe Burrow throwing to Justin Jefferson and Jamar Chase against college defenders, which made him seem good?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:19 AM   #55
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Is Joe Brady good, or did Joe Brady call plays for Joe Burrow throwing to Justin Jefferson and Jamar Chase against college defenders, which made him seem good?

the thread is supposed to be fun, right?

don't hold back GIVE US THE HOT TAEK
Old 01-12-2022, 11:36 AM   #56
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would love to see Flores but it is the Giants so they wont. They will probably try and lure Herm Edwards back to the NFL
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:42 PM   #57
sabotai
General Manager

My one big issue with Herm Edwards or Jim Calwell is their age. I don't think the Giants need to go after a young, hot OC or DC, but with Caldwell being 66 and Edwards 67, even if they turned out to a great head coach for the Giants, I don't want them to have to look for another new HC in a few years because they decide to retire.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:05 PM   #58
fortheglory
Mascot

In regards to this thread title...Newsflash....there is only ONE Giants from New York. No longer two...so if you were to say the New York Giants, I am reasonably sure everyone would automatically realize you are referring to NFL Football.

resume discussion.
fortheglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:38 PM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheglory View Post
In regards to this thread title...Newsflash....there is only ONE Giants from New York. No longer two...so if you were to say the New York Giants, I am reasonably sure everyone would automatically realize you are referring to NFL Football.

resume discussion.

While it may be unneccessary in 2021, it is not incorrect

While the baseball team moved to San Francisco after the 1957 season, the football team continues to use "New York Football Giants, Inc." as its legal corporate name
Old 01-20-2022, 05:12 PM   #60
JPhillips
General Manager

Adding another point. The Giants believe Daniel Jones will be cleared to play at some point, but others in the NFL are worried his neck injury is career-ending. What do they do about a QB if they aren't sure of his status before the draft?
Old 01-20-2022, 06:03 PM   #61
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Adding another point. The Giants believe Daniel Jones will be cleared to play at some point, but others in the NFL are worried his neck injury is career-ending. What do they do about a QB if they aren't sure of his status before the draft?

Trade for Tua, he is can't miss.
Old 03-02-2022, 02:04 PM   #62
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Rudolph and Booker both got cut and they’re looking to trade BARKLEY just to update this.

Last edited by stevew : 03-02-2022 at 04:14 PM. Reason: I'm dumb
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 02:20 PM   #63
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

Is this a roster at the state where we really want to prioritize getting some C+ caliber backup? Does it make sense to go and sign, say, Nick Foles here? I'd say no. I don't love trotting out Glennon, but surely there's some affordable not-a-disaster option out there.

I don't think I want to try to land "the answer" in this draft, that feels like a reach. If Jones is available, we try to learn whether he's it. If he's unavailable, the season is basically lost and "it" is increasingly likely to be what we can get with pick 1.2 next year or whatever we land naturally.

Last edited by QuikSand : 03-02-2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2022, 02:23 PM   #64
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Rudolph and Booker both got cut and they’re looking to trade Bradley just to update this.

Trade Bradberry, presumably? Someone might be open to taking him on a $10m deal for this year I'd think. I think we'd take nearly any pick for him, right?
Old 03-02-2022, 02:26 PM   #65
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

They are apparently shopping Barkley...
Old 03-02-2022, 02:34 PM   #66
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheglory View Post

resume discussion.

i missed this originally... it's kinda a thing, sorry if you missed the memo
Old 03-02-2022, 04:14 PM   #67
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I meant Barkley, I dunno how I booted that spelling so poorly
Old 03-02-2022, 05:47 PM   #68
QuikSand
lolzcat

Not really a fit for this "run the NYFG" thread... but I wonder who might spin the wheel on Barkley at this point? Miami?
Old 03-02-2022, 05:58 PM   #69
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Is this a roster at the state where we really want to prioritize getting some C+ caliber backup? Does it make sense to go and sign, say, Nick Foles here? I'd say no. I don't love trotting out Glennon, but surely there's some affordable not-a-disaster option out there.

I don't think I want to try to land "the answer" in this draft, that feels like a reach. If Jones is available, we try to learn whether he's it. If he's unavailable, the season is basically lost and "it" is increasingly likely to be what we can get with pick 1.2 next year or whatever we land naturally.

I expect one of Pickett, Willis, or Corral will be a playoff QB. Should the Giants work one of their two 1st rounders into a trade down and pick of one of the QBs? If the problem is that we don't trust the Giants to get that right, how will that calculus change next year?

Saying we're starting Glennon is going to get an incredibly bad reaction in NY and the Maras care a lot about fan reaction.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:08 PM   #70
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think if you can pick up an extra second or third and move down and still get Corral or Willis that’s something I’d be willing to do. Having the two picks this year makes that worth a shot I think.

I do believe in Corral more than most though, and Willis feels like he has the talent to be worth the risk.
Old 03-03-2022, 11:40 AM   #71
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Saying we're starting Glennon is going to get an incredibly bad reaction in NY and the Maras care a lot about fan reaction.

Sorry if I was unclear. I want Glennon gone, of course.

My preference at QB is this this year is "prove it / fuck it" in essence, depending on Jones' health. If he's available, prove you're the guy. If he's not, don't bother with a "good enough" backup, just toss out a rookie or dirt cheap Plan B, no not Glennon, but also not a $5m deal with Andy Dalton or Nick Foles or whomever. I want one of those dudes who knocked around in the pretend pro leagues, get one of those guys... or like a 5th round rookie.

I won't really rebel against a trade-down to get a QB, but I'm fearful that QBs could be on the ascension now, especially Willis. If we need to use pick 7 or 10 to get Willis, I don't love the value proposition much, and would rather take the bird in the hand and get two young guys we feel would reliably fill holes.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:20 PM   #72
JPhillips
General Manager

Part of the problem as I see it is that the Giants have enough talent to win 6-8 games if they have a somewhat competent and I think the new staff gets them closer to that than Judge could.

Here are the opponents for next year:

Dallas Cowboys
Philadelphia Eagles
Washington Football Team
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Carolina Panthers
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Baltimore Ravens

AWAY
Dallas Cowboys
Philadelphia Eagles
Washington Football Team
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings
Jacksonville Jaguars
Tennessee Titans
Seattle Seahawks

Six wins seems very achievable and then they are out of the running if Stroud and Young continue to play like the top picks. Everything, IMO, comes down to getting another shot at a franchise QB. If they pass this year, they need to be awful so that they can get one next year, but doing that alienates the fan base and the Maras are already worried about that.
Old 03-03-2022, 01:38 PM   #73
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

In stratomatic?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 07:09 AM   #74
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

The bots' sense of humor just gets better and better.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:49 AM   #75
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What about rolling the dice on a Jones for Mayfield trade? Tyrod Taylor was a good backup signing. I don’t like any of the QBs this year, so we can draft linemen/etc. if the Mayfield thing blows up, we will pick high in 2023. Mayfield seems like the kind of guy that should rise* to the occasion in New York.

Last edited by stevew : 03-17-2022 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:58 AM   #76
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't know if you get anything better from Mayfield than you get from Taylor and Taylor has the benefit of having played well for Daboll in Buffalo. I think it's going to be an open competition in camp, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Taylor start the year as QB.
Old 03-17-2022, 02:53 PM   #77
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
What about rolling the dice on a Jones for Mayfield trade? Tyrod Taylor was a good backup signing. I don’t like any of the QBs this year, so we can draft linemen/etc. if the Mayfield thing blows up, we will pick high in 2023. Mayfield seems like the kind of guy that should ride to the occasion in New York.

I don't hate it, to be honest.
Old 03-17-2022, 03:42 PM   #78
bhlloy
Coordinator

I dunno. Feels like Mayfield puts the Giants solidly in the mushy middle. Good enough to start and win 7-9 games but nowhere close to making you SB contenders. In todays NFL it feels like that’s the absolute worst place you can be.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:13 AM   #79
QuikSand
lolzcat

Right, of course what we think of Mayfield right now does that, agreed. What you're trading for here is a ticket that he shows up this year, goes Tannehill, and becomes a guy you can tag or re-sign. He has had two of four seasons that show a lot more promise than your Darnolds or Joneses of the world. If he suffered from injury last year and that hid his actual capacity, he could be a meaningful above average asset.

So, no, this isn't trade for Baker and commit your future. It's trade for Baker and see what he has this year, admittedly as you're doing the same thing with Jones. Tricky, but not out of the question for the most important role in professional sports, and one that our franchise lacks direction on.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:21 AM   #80
QuikSand
lolzcat

...and obviously the Browns have no interest in Jones, but I'd assume that the NYG early 3rd rounder would get us Baker and his 1y, $19m-or-so contract.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:25 AM   #81
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Right, of course what we think of Mayfield right now does that, agreed. What you're trading for here is a ticket that he shows up this year, goes Tannehill, and becomes a guy you can tag or re-sign. He has had two of four seasons that show a lot more promise than your Darnolds or Joneses of the world. If he suffered from injury last year and that hid his actual capacity, he could be a meaningful above average asset.

So, no, this isn't trade for Baker and commit your future. It's trade for Baker and see what he has this year, admittedly as you're doing the same thing with Jones. Tricky, but not out of the question for the most important role in professional sports, and one that our franchise lacks direction on.
It's like signing a pitcher a year off of TJ surgery. You bring him in for a small commitment and then you can either flip him for a pick, keep him if he bounces back, or cut him.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:42 AM   #82
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think Mayfield could likely be had for a 5-7th. Especially if you’re eating all of that deal. If you give up a 3rd they better be eating 10m+ of it.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:12 AM   #83
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm not a Mayfield guy. But I like the move as a look-see.

Bringing him in for what is basically a one-year tryout? Smart.

Bringing him in and then committing a lot of guaranteed money to him so you are tied to him for at least three years? Dumb.

As others have noted, the draft this year stinks for QBs. Mayfield does give you the most upside of the options out there. I'd rather roll the dice on that than just an old dude stopgap.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 03-21-2022 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-21-2022, 01:30 PM   #84
bhlloy
Coordinator

I can see the logic there but still, where’s the line where he does get resigned or tagged? Top 20 QB? Top 15? I think we’ve seen enough of him to say he’s not and won’t be a top 5-10 guy hence my original comment.

I still think there’s a conversation to be had about whether this is a blow it all up and take a shot at a QB in what could be a strong draft next year. This just isn’t an exciting “could be a winner in a few years” roster, and I don’t think Baker is changing that. Maybe I’m underrating the potential he has left, I just don’t see it.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:23 PM   #85
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I can see the logic there but still, where’s the line where he does get resigned or tagged? Top 20 QB? Top 15? I think we’ve seen enough of him to say he’s not and won’t be a top 5-10 guy hence my original comment.

I still think there’s a conversation to be had about whether this is a blow it all up and take a shot at a QB in what could be a strong draft next year. This just isn’t an exciting “could be a winner in a few years” roster, and I don’t think Baker is changing that. Maybe I’m underrating the potential he has left, I just don’t see it.

I don't like him either. But I'm trying to open my mind to "What if I'm wrong about that?" And if there is a low enough risk play for him, I think it makes sense. But if his agent demands long term money, then we walk away no question.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:32 AM   #86
QuikSand
lolzcat

This is the way.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:44 AM   #87
QuikSand
lolzcat

Since mocking for the Dolphins got boring AF, here's a mock for our G-men:

The later picks don't reflect a lot of insight, beyond DT Garrett, whom I know to be a highly regarded recruit who under-delivered at a top tier program despite some occasionally excellent play - not a terrible stab in the dark with a late-ish pick for someone, I think.

Getting two potential blue chippers along the OL would be boss. I had been taking G Johnson for Miami at pick 1.29 fairly often (they have some BC coaching ties).
Old 03-25-2022, 11:07 AM   #88
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Building the lines early in the draft is never a bad strategy. I remember the Sean Payton quote from when the Cowboys had that amazing line: "Everyone wants the Cowboys offensive line. No one wants to draft the Cowboys offensive line." Those picks will also work whether Jones is the answer or not.

I also like TE Ruckert. The Saints need a TE badly, so I have been looking at the crop available. He's got the athletic profile to be a good one. With the right coaching, he could be an NFL starter--not bad for a third round pick.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:27 PM   #89
QuikSand
lolzcat

Another mock from a different site... no trades here, either (some sites require you pay to unlock all the toys)... here I took my CB1 first because there were two solid OT there at pick 5...

RB Breece is a darling among insiders to be the first RB off the board this year, he's a receiving-friendly back who may step into the Barkley role this team has been working around for some time. I think he's a great modern NFL RB prospect.

C Fortner is a favorite mid-round pick of mine for OL-needy teams. I don't think he lasts past pick 100 or so, but he's not a random dart here for me.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:12 PM   #90
bhlloy
Coordinator

I can't get behind spending another early pick on a RB. Just way too many other holes on this roster. A P that high feels like a luxury too. Much prefer the first one which put a bit more emphasis on the lines. I agree Haskell Garrett is a great pick if available that late.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:18 PM   #91
QuikSand
lolzcat

i cant help myself with that punter, if i'm throwing darts with a mock draft, i just cant help but take him he seems like a freak

as for the RB, i am usually strong enough to resist and defer until the afterthought rounds... occasionally get weak with Breece or Spiller here
Old 03-25-2022, 07:04 PM   #92
bhlloy
Coordinator

Here's where I ended up:

A couple of thoughts... firstly it's pretty bare once you hit the third and fourth. I went with Sanders just for need but didn't feel that great about it, and then went McBride and wished I'd waited as guys like Dulcich and Otton were still on the board 30-50 picks later. In a real life scenario, if those were my choices I think I'd probably try to move down for future picks. Pretty much all the RB including Hall were still on the board, I still think that's a luxury with Saquon but it's definitely more attractive to me knowing I'd have had to massively overpay on a premium position.

Brock Purdy was still on the board at the end... enough upside I think I'd be looking to move back into the 7th to get him if that scenario played out IRL. Cheap lottery ticket... why not.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:34 PM   #93
QuikSand
lolzcat

Taking a late round QB stab feels like a no brainer.. why not Purdy, sure
Old 03-25-2022, 09:15 PM   #94
sabotai
General Manager

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:48 AM   #95
QuikSand
lolzcat

So I do love starting the draft with elite OT and elite CB, and going from there.

As fond as I was in concept of trading down from one of the high picks to grab more assets... I think the magnetic effect of a mock draft just draws you in for the flashy names. The specifics of the guys available in the third round, or whatever, are just more elusive... so it doesn't feel awesome to give up the rights to, say, CB Stingley... only to pick up some fairly nameless day two guys at LB and G.

So I'm very cool just mentally plugging in that this team adds T Ikwonu/Cross and CB Stingley/Gardner based on who actually falls to us and we just come away with two high end assets to feel really good about.
Old 03-26-2022, 04:12 PM   #96
bhlloy
Coordinator

There is an interesting discussion if Cross and Ekwomu are both on the board (which could be more likely now I’ve seen Willis at 2 a bunch) - Ike seems to be the more highly rated overall but Cross is a more prototypical pass protecting left tackle. I don’t know enough about the Giants offense to know which is a better fit.

The other interesting side effect of Willis going in the top 5 is I’ve seen both Thibodeaux and Hamilton falling to the Giants at 7 recently. Too good to pass up at that spot? Does that mean 5 becomes the OT pick and we pass on a CB? Feels like one of those picks has to be to make the putrid offense a little better
Old 03-26-2022, 04:55 PM   #97
QuikSand
lolzcat

Thibodeaux's stock is falling for sure... had been the near-consensus #1 overall on talent, and now is sliding into the maybe-5-or-10 based on, it appears, a lack of... seriousness?
Old 03-26-2022, 05:09 PM   #98
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
There is an interesting discussion if Cross and Ekwomu are both on the board (which could be more likely now I’ve seen Willis at 2 a bunch) - Ike seems to be the more highly rated overall but Cross is a more prototypical pass protecting left tackle. I don’t know enough about the Giants offense to know which is a better fit.

Andrew Thomas, pick 1.04 in 2020, is grading out as a high quality pass blocking left tackle already... so while "the line is a priority" remains a batsignal for us all, we're in the odd spot of feeling like the one hardest slot to cover is actually taken care of. So, using an early pick here at T is already presuming he plays at either RT or I guess possibly LG.

If that's the case, we could surely make an argument for forsake OT with the two early picks, and just go with two BPA types, or even 1x CB and 1x CB.

I could live with any of these, to be fair:

S Hamilton then CB Stingley/Gardner
DE Thibodeaux/Walker and CB Stingley/Gardner in whatever order

...especially if we felt the chances of getting a quality IOL/RT in early round two were strong.

Here's a no-early-T run-through using the same engine as bhlloy above:

Some familiar names here, natch... went for quantity at OL to make up for the lack of a premier selection. Faalele is grading very wildly across sites, he feels like a reach that early to me, but I basically said "take best OL available" for 36. Still seduced by a RB in the early 3rd and then our standard target TE in the late 3rd. I have seen T Volson projected as a G/T elsewhere, and is highly regarded by PFF, so I've been targeting him as a flyer late when I see him. And the punter, of course the punter.
Old 03-26-2022, 05:26 PM   #99
QuikSand
lolzcat

The Athletic on Bradberry situation:

Quote:
The obstacle for Schoen is finding a team willing to part with a draft pick when it’s clear the Giants need the cap savings from dumping Bradberry. The Giants have roughly $2 million in cap space. They need $12.5 million to cover their draft class, so something has to give.

The Giants have floated that they’ll hold onto Bradberry until the start of the season, but that seems like posturing. They’ll need to make a move before they sign their draft picks this summer unless they have another drastic plan to create cap space. There have been no extension talks to lower Bradberry’s 2022 cap hit, according to a source.

Quarterback carousel could help Giants find draft trade partner, James Bradberry update and more notes – The Athletic
Old 03-26-2022, 07:55 PM   #100
bhlloy
Coordinator

I just can't get past a safety being a luxury pick, especially for this team. I'd be OK with DE/CB I think, that's the cornerstone of a good defense. But to prioritize S over OL with such a high pick, I don't think I can agree with that. I know Hamilton is supposed to be great... but still.