Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-26-2022, 05:56 PM   #51
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
The revised proposal which eliminated the potential for emissions by powering it with alternative sources of energy would have added 7-8 years to the project.

If it hadn't been canceled by executive order, it was scheduled to come online next year.

However, it's a dead project now. I don't think it could be restarted at this point without the government paying for what private investment was financing.

I know it isn't popular to talk about energy independence, especially since Trump is a big proponent. But I don't think it's out of bounds to say that without Europe's dependence on Russian exported energy, this wouldn't have happened.

The US and Europe are doing a great job reducing emissions - from the US and Europe. A lot of that is being moved to Asia and the atmosphere doesn't really care where it comes from.

Renewables have their place, but we don't have the advances in battery storage necessary to rely on them right now. Doesn't mean we stop trying, but the cost of insecure energy, well, it means that terrible people like Putin have a lot more power than they should have.

I appreciate your thoughts and balanced perspective on this. Seems like energy independence for us domestically and not having Europe dependent on Russia would be an important way to avoid situations like this.

For all his warts and flaws (and boy are there plenty) Trump was right about some stuff and the desire/goal to be energy independent was one of them. Sort of glad he called out NATO a bit too (may not have liked the way he did it) while he was in office.

It certainly would be nice to limit our dependence on our relative enemies (Russia and China in particular) for all sorts of resources and goods as our world politics evolves over the next few decades.

As I learn more about WW2 history it is clear that strategic goods such as Rubber, Oil, Steel, electronics, etc played a huge role in the eventual outcome (not to discount the will, ingenuity, and sacrifices of the Allies at all). I hope we keep those lessons in mind so we can be prepared regarding strategic resources, cyber warfare offensive/defensive capabilities, etc if it ever were to come to such a terrible point that we need them.

Last edited by BigDPW : 02-26-2022 at 05:57 PM.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 05:57 PM   #52
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, article on how come Europe became so dependent on Russian natural gas. Basically, natural gas fields are running out and Russian gas was cheapest.

The US has plenty of natural gas. I'm sure we are in talks on how to get more natural gas to Western Europe. Price might go up on us though, that'll hurt many in the US but in the big picture, think we need to share in some of the pain.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/24/why-...tural-gas.html
Quote:
On Wednesday, The Washington Post reported the European Union is making plans for energy independence from Russia, citing sources who spoke on condition of anonymity. The plan is expected to be announced by the European Commission next week.
Quote:
So how did the region become so dependent on Putin’s Russia for its energy supplies?
:
Production of natural gas in Europe decreased because the North Sea gas fields, which are particularly important sources of natural gas production from the U.K. and the Netherlands, were depleted. And later the Netherlands announced they were completely shutting down their Groningen gas fields because of earthquakes.
Quote:
About 25% of the EU’s energy consumption comes from natural gas, according to the Directorate-General for Energy for the EU. Oil and petroleum (32%), renewable energy and biofuels (18%), and solid fossil fuels (11%) make up the rest.

That dependence on natural gas means a dependence on Russia. Today, the EU is the largest importer of natural gas in the world, according to the Directorate-General for Energy for the EU, with the largest share of its gas coming from Russia (41%), Norway (24%) and Algeria (11%).

“In terms of foreign suppliers, Russian gas was just the cheapest.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 06:00 PM   #53
Edward64
Head Coach

Looks like a partial SWIFT expulsion for now. Tightening the screws slowly vs all at once. Beats me if it'll work.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/26/polit...ift/index.html
Quote:
The White House, along with France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and Canada, announced Saturday evening that they would expel certain Russian banks from SWIFT, the high-security network that connects thousands of financial institutions around the world, pledging to "collectively ensure that this war is a strategic failure for (Russian President Vladimir) Putin."

"This will ensure that these banks are disconnected from the international financial system and harm their ability to operate globally," they wrote in a joint statement released by the White House, also pledging "restrictive measures that will prevent the Russian Central Bank from deploying its international reserves in ways that undermine the impact of our sanctions," and restricting the sale of "golden passports" that allow Russian oligarchs to avoid the brunt of sanctions already levied.

US and European officials have also discussed targeting the Russian Central Bank with sanctions, according to two people familiar with the talks, a step without precedent for an economy of Russia's size.

No final decisions have been made, the people said, and the structure of the sanctions under discussion remains unclear.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:02 PM   #54
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
President of Ukraine: to US when offered an evacuation: "I need ammunition, not a ride."

I have no idea if that guy has been a good president, but he wins for Badass Leader Line.

It's probably easier to give this guy ammunition rather than trying to ship this guy's balls out of the country.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:08 PM   #55
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
It's probably easier to give this guy ammunition rather than trying to ship this guy's balls out of the country.

LOL
Old 02-26-2022, 06:12 PM   #56
Edward64
Head Coach

Germany is now sending weapons. The article list other countries but kinda surprised there aren't more NATO countries (well at least the ones that don't border Russia) contributing "defensive" weapons.

https://abcnews.go.com/International...raine-83131834
Quote:
In a significant shift, the German government said Saturday it will send weapons and other supplies directly to Ukraine, which is fighting to keep Russia from invading its capital city.
Quote:
United States announced $350 million in aid to Ukraine, totaling $1 billion in security assistance since President Joe Biden took office. The additional aid includes “anti-armor, small arms and various munitions, body armor and related equipment,
Quote:
Italy earlier this week announced it will send nonlethal military equipment such as de-mining equipment and protective devices for soldiers. France announced that requests for equipment by Ukraine are under study. Before the invasion, France supplied some 100 million euros in arms to Ukraine, including short-range defensive missiles,
Old 02-26-2022, 06:16 PM   #57
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

No doubt he's a hero. Sure hope he pulls it off.

Dead or alive or captured, he'll be remembered for a long time.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:25 PM   #58
Edward64
Head Coach

Hard to believe this is true but it did come from Macron, I assume these are like tactical nukes.

Russia have MOABs and FOABs to still use (and likely some chemical weapons) so threatening use of nukes seem way way premature. So guess it's just a "threat" for NATO to not intervene more.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-uk...7b66492feca14b
Quote:
French President Emmanuel Macron has asked his Belarus counterpart to demand that the country, Ukraine’s neighbor, quickly order Russian troops to leave, claiming Moscow has been given the green light to deploy nuclear arms there.

In a phone conversation Saturday, Macron denounced “the gravity of a decision that would authorize Russia to deploy nuclear arms on Belarus soil,” a statement by the presidential palace said.

Macron told Alexander Lukashenko that fraternity between the people of Belarus and Ukraine should lead Belarus to “refuse to be a vassal and an accomplice to Russia in the war against Ukraine,” the statement said.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:40 PM   #59
RainMaker
General Manager

Seems like a partial SWIFT was what was agreed on. Not really surprising. Can't go after the real wealthy folks or harm the energy sector.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 06:55 PM   #60
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice! Go Elon Musk

(you might redeem your asshole image with this assuming you don't revert back after).

Elon Musk activates Starlink satellites to give Ukraine data backup – POLITICO
Quote:
SpaceX founder Elon Musk has activated Starlink, his commercial internet network, in Ukraine, with "more terminals en route," the billionaire said.

Musk's SpaceX has thousands of Starlink satellites in orbit, which allow the company to beam broadband services around Earth, without the need for fiber-optic cables. The satellites could keep Ukraine online if its internet infrastructure is damaged by Russia's attacks.

Musk's move came in response to a plea by Ukraine’s First Vice Prime Minister and Minister of Digital Transformation Mykhailo Fedorov, who called for help on Saturday, as Ukraine fought off an invasion and sustained cyberattacks by Russian forces.

Tweeting directly at Musk, Fedorov said: "While you try to colonize Mars — Russia try to occupy Ukraine! While your rockets successfully land from space — Russian rockets attack Ukrainian civil people! We ask you to provide Ukraine with Starlink stations and to address sane Russians to stand."

In response, Musk said: "Starlink service is now active in Ukraine. More terminals en route."
Old 02-26-2022, 07:53 PM   #61
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
Seems to me most conservative voices are asking why the administration isn't quickly acting to reduce gas prices (reversing course on Keystone, allow more drilling domestically, etc). I would gain a ton of respect for the administration if they would do these things.

They don't really care about the price of oil/gas. In fact, they helped broker a historic deal years ago to cut oil production and drive up prices across the board.

Quote:
It seems that producing more energy/oil domestically ASAP would benefit us at home and militarily with very little immediate cost. I think we can table the environmental arguments over such a policy for a few years while we maximize our ability to respond to a world wide conflict that would likely pit us against China, North Korea, Russia, and Iran at minimum.

The easiest short term solution is to get the Saudis to increase output again. We sell them weapons, provide them protection, and look the other way when they commit genocide, murder our journalists, and commit human rights abuses. Feel like maybe it's time to use some leverage and stop acting like their bitch.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:15 PM   #62
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Looks like Russia has moved onto (even more) obvious war crimes. They've blown up a couple of oil depots to disrupt energy and create an ecological disaster

⚡️Kyiv administration: Kyiv residents must close their windows tightly.

Due to the shelling and explosion of the oil depot in Vasylkiv, a town 40 kilometers south of the capital, the wind can carry away smoke and harmful substances.
— The Kyiv Independent (@KyivIndependent) February 27, 2022

The footage shows a gas pipeline on fire in Kharkiv after a Russian attack.

Video: State Special Communications Service of Ukraine pic.twitter.com/owuSoKqoFA
— The Kyiv Independent (@KyivIndependent) February 27, 2022

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-26-2022 at 08:15 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 08:32 PM   #63
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Or this

SI

Old 02-26-2022, 09:03 PM   #64
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I must say reading the various accounts of the war today on twitter and a bit surprised by two things:

2) The reports on how Russian military equipment is just not prepared for the war-lots of stories about vehicles running out of gas and soldiers going around begging for food. I was expecting much more of a dominant Russian army and I worry what Putin might do if he sees his forces doing poorly.

I wonder if Putin saw our Afghan puppet state grab their millions and leave the country to the Taliban last summer in about three days and assume that a quick shock and awe border crossing would lead to surrenders and the Ukranian government fleeing. Now that's not the case, they're stuck trying to take Kiev with a less than fully prepared and supplied army
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 09:35 PM   #65
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
I wonder if Putin saw our Afghan puppet state grab their millions and leave the country to the Taliban last summer in about three days and assume that a quick shock and awe border crossing would lead to surrenders and the Ukranian government fleeing. Now that's not the case, they're stuck trying to take Kiev with a less than fully prepared and supplied army

100%

Putin, I'm sure, assumed Zelensky would flee and that would lead to the fall of the Ukraine government and military within a couple of days. That's part of why he insisted it's not an invasion but instead a strategic military operation. They weren't prepared logistically or strategically for them to put up much of a fight.

What it's turned into is something they didn't expect and something they didn't want but they're kind of stuck at this point with no clear offramp that Putin would be willing to swallow.

This isn't just a massive strategic misstep when it comes to the invasion but keep in mind Putin's goals all along have been to get the former Soviet states back together, weaken NATO, and isolate Europe from US support. What's accomplished here is uniting world leadership in a way we haven't seen since 9/11.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 09:40 PM   #66
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
100%

Putin, I'm sure, assumed Zelensky would flee and that would lead to the fall of the Ukraine government and military within a couple of days. That's part of why he insisted it's not an invasion but instead a strategic military operation. They weren't prepared logistically or strategically for them to put up much of a fight.

What it's turned into is something they didn't expect and something they didn't want but they're kind of stuck at this point with no clear offramp that Putin would be willing to swallow.

This isn't just a massive strategic misstep when it comes to the invasion but keep in mind Putin's goals all along have been to get the former Soviet states back together, weaken NATO, and isolate Europe from US support. What's accomplished here is uniting world leadership in a way we haven't seen since 9/11.

I don't know how this ends. But right now this feels like a completely unintended side effect of this in a way that could actually change the world for the next couple of decades

SI

Old 02-26-2022, 09:52 PM   #67
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Looks like Russia has moved onto (even more) obvious war crimes. They've blown up a couple of oil depots to disrupt energy and create an ecological disaster

There were reports of a Children's Hospital and some residential buildings being hit too. Would wait for confirmation on that.

Also appears they went after a dam which is a war crime (although one we just committed a few years back).
Old 02-26-2022, 10:18 PM   #68
Atocep
Coordinator

It's kind of scary to think about what this could be.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:12 PM   #69
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

A contender below. Also read about hitting the dam which could flood and do massive damage.

Quote:
French President Emmanuel Macron has asked his Belarus counterpart to demand that the country, Ukraine’s neighbor, quickly order Russian troops to leave, claiming Moscow has been given the green light to deploy nuclear arms there.

In a phone conversation Saturday, Macron denounced “the gravity of a decision that would authorize Russia to deploy nuclear arms on Belarus soil,” a statement by the presidential palace said.

Macron told Alexander Lukashenko that fraternity between the people of Belarus and Ukraine should lead Belarus to “refuse to be a vassal and an accomplice to Russia in the war against Ukraine,” the statement said.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:21 PM   #70
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I don't know how this ends. But right now this feels like a completely unintended side effect of this in a way that could actually change the world for the next couple of decades

SI

I agree. Even if Putin wins Ukraine and creates a puppet state, he'll be a pariah to all but a handful of countries not already aligned/bordering Russia.

The international backlash has been fantastic and seems that international outcry been more widespread & serious in this invasion and not earlier Crimea or Georgia.

Probably because Ukraine borders NATO and we learn from the Crimea annexation. Georgia was probably too far away. In retrospect, think Biden was correct in warning the world every other day about the threat and Russia's plans. And/or maybe social media is more ubiquitous more than ever.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:23 PM   #71
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I hope all the positivity right now holds, but it feels premature to me. Unity in the face of crisis tends to evaporate not long after the crisis is over, and from the reports I've read it appears we haven't hit the worst of the fighting yet.

I'd like to say that I don't think Putin would use nuclear options, but I don't have confidence in that.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 12:26 AM   #72
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I hope all the positivity right now holds, but it feels premature to me. Unity in the face of crisis tends to evaporate not long after the crisis is over, and from the reports I've read it appears we haven't hit the worst of the fighting yet.

I'd like to say that I don't think Putin would use nuclear options, but I don't have confidence in that.

I agree on both counts but I'm ok being cautiously optimistic, even if it disappears

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-27-2022 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 01:29 AM   #73
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Is just someone shooting Putin an option? Asking for a friend
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:39 AM   #74
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Our intelligence has been spot-on throughout the whole thing, so this is kind of scary. There have been stories about them going after dams and areas that store radioactive materials.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:41 AM   #75
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Is just someone shooting Putin an option? Asking for a friend

Think that's what western allies are hoping for.

I'd give a call to John Wick. He's dealt with the Russians before.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-27-2022 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:53 AM   #76
Edward64
Head Coach

Germany is increasing defense spending above 2% of GDP or by 100B euros.

After 60-70 yeas, Germany has shown to be a model world citizen and time to take the military leadership role especially in European matters (with US supporting).

Germany to ramp up defense spending in response to Russia’s war on Ukraine – POLITICO
Quote:
Chancellor Olaf Scholz on Sunday announced a major boost to German military spending — the latest in a series of dramatic policy shifts by Berlin in response to Russia’s war on Ukraine.

Speaking at an emergency session of the German parliament to discuss the war, Scholz said that his government would set up a special €100 billion fund to swiftly upgrade its armed forces and that Germany will in future adhere to the NATO goal of spending 2 percent of GDP on defense.

Describing Russia’s invasion of Ukraine as “a turning point in the history of our continent,” Scholz told lawmakers that “it is clear that we need to invest significantly more in the security of our country in order to protect our freedom and our democracy.”

“We will from now on, year for year, invest more than 2 percent of our gross domestic product in our defense,” Scholz said. His remarks were met with loud applause by lawmakers.

Germany currently spends around 1.5 percent of GDP on defense and the current coalition government had previously been reluctant to commit to the 2 percent target, despite pleas from NATO allies.

“We need planes that fly, ships that sail, and soldiers who are optimally equipped for their missions,” Scholz said in reference to the current state of the Bundeswehr, which has suffered from financial and equipment shortages for years and which was just this week described by army chief Alfons Mais as “more or less bare.”

The chancellor, a Social Democrat, added that such goals should be “well within reach given our size and importance in Europe.”

Scholz also justified Saturday’s historic volte-face by Berlin on arms deliveries to Ukraine, saying that “in response to Putin’s aggression, there could be have been no other choice.”

Scholz said Putin attacked Ukraine “for a single reason: The freedom of Ukrainians challenges his own oppressive regime.” He added: “This is inhuman, this is contrary to international law, this cannot be justified by anything or anyone.”
Old 02-27-2022, 06:03 AM   #77
Edward64
Head Coach

Longest ATM line that I've seen. Supposedly a Moscow ATM. Like the McDs

[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 02-27-2022, 07:48 AM   #78
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

This is amazing. This looks to be a complete Russian mechanized column totally destroyed. That is a lot of metal destroyed.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 07:51 AM   #79
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

I think we could all use a bit of unity and less polarization on both sides. Seems to me the moderate voices have been thoroughly down out via social media and conventional media over the last decade or so. I long for a time when we can have an honest debate and discussion and not take things so personally again.

I don't think we have lacked as much unity over the years as it seems and times like this seem to remind us of that. We simply don't allow each other to speak anymore and try to work to together with anyone that has a differing view. While things have been polarized and challenging domestically over the last few years we have forgotten how fortunate we are as a nation and how important the US is in maintaining global stability.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:14 AM   #80
Edward64
Head Coach

Not confirmed but sure would be nice if it did happen. "convoy of 56 tanks" blown up seems optimistic though.

Ukraine to hold peace talks with Russia on border with Belarus | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Russia was dealt a significant blow when a column of Chechen special forces sent to assassinate Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky were blown up by locals just two days into their mission.

The armed group - famed for their barbaric violence and human rights abuses - are said to have been obliterated after their convoy of 56 tanks was blown to smithereens near Hostomel, just northeast of Kyiv, by Ukrainian missile fire on the second day of the Chechens' deployment. It is unclear how many died - but the number is likely to run into the hundreds.
:
Among the Chechens said to have been wiped out was general Magomed Tushaev. He was commander of the 141th motorized national guard brigade - Chechen head of state Ramzan Kadyrov's elite force.

Tushaev had also been pictured with Kadyrov, in a measure of his importance to the Chechen regime, which shot to notoriety in the west for hunting down, torturing and killing gay men.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:28 AM   #81
Edward64
Head Coach

Saturday night live cold open. Pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjE4...urdayNightLive

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-27-2022 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:35 AM   #82
Edward64
Head Coach

Multiple sources saying there will be peace talks. Not too optimistic but maybe a good first step.

Quote:
Ukraine’s president says Kyiv has agreed to send a delegation for talks “without preconditions” with Russian officials on the Ukraine-Belarus border.

“We agreed that the Ukrainian delegation would meet with the Russian delegation without preconditions on the Ukrainian-Belarusian border, near the Pripyat River,” Zelenskyy said in a statement after holding a phone call with Lukashenko.

He did not give a precise time for the meeting, but said Lukashenko, a Putin ally, “has taken responsibility for ensuring that all planes, helicopters and missiles stationed on Belarusian territory remain on the ground during the Ukrainian delegation’s travel, talks and return.”

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-27-2022 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 09:39 AM   #83
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Roman Abramovich transferred control of Chelsea to the charitable foundation. He must fear having the team taken away by the UK government.

Do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Is that like the "charitable foundations" that "own" all the Waltons' art?

Pretty much. CFC is still owned by a company called "Fordstam" which is controlled by Abramovich. Further, Fordstam gets most of its funding from another company based in the British Virgin Islands, from where ownership gets a bit convoluted.

All this announcement means is that he's handing over day-to-day control, but given that Bruce Buck is chairman of both CFC & the CFC Foundation, that doesn't mean a lot.

It definitely feels like a defensive move to blunt calls for the government to step in. Not that I'd expect the Tories to ever do this. I mean I think they should nationalize all the clubs owned by sovereign wealth funds from regimes with human rights abuses and oligarchs whose wealth has dubious provenance (and also the Glazers, just because), but I'm not PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Renewables have their place, but we don't have the advances in battery storage necessary to rely on them right now. Doesn't mean we stop trying, but the cost of insecure energy, well, it means that terrible people like Putin have a lot more power than they should have.

Not a word on the thousands of drilling leases already granted by the U.S. goverment to oil companies that lie unused while the price of petroleum climbs? The U.S. could supply Europe with most of its energy needs if those already granted rights were in use.

Let's hear both sides of the conversation, Jim.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 03:12 PM   #84
Edward64
Head Coach

I get sending $ but also sending fighter jets? I'd think Ukraine would need more Stingers & Javelins (and spec ops to help out). Hard to believe they could maintain fighter jets for any length of time. But Ukraine asked for them.

Individual EU countries have already been helping with weaponry but fighter jets seem to be on the next level.

https://www.axios.com/eu-weapons-ukr...194d95619.html
Quote:
The European Union will finance the purchase and delivery of $500 million worth weapons to Ukraine, marking the first time in the bloc's history that it will send arms to a country under attack.

Why it matters: Longstanding policy taboos are falling across the EU because of Vladimir Putin's unprovoked assault on Ukraine. The new weapons program, which will be funded through the European Peace Facility, was announced Sunday alongside new sanctions on Russian aircraft, state media and the Belarus economy.

The latest: The EU's foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said at press conference that member states will provide fighter jets to Ukraine, not just ammunition.
Quote:
" Minister Kuleba has been asking us that they need the kind of fighter jets that the Ukrainian army is able to operate. And we know what kind of planes, and some member states have these kind of planes," Borell said, in what's likely a reference to Soviet-era jets possessed by Eastern European countries.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-27-2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2022, 03:25 PM   #85
JPhillips
General Manager

It's becoming a replay of the Spanish civil war in terms of volunteers and outside countries supplying weaponry all out in the open.

Even in a now best case scenario for Putin it's hard to see how this hasn't been an absolute disaster for him.
Old 02-27-2022, 03:44 PM   #86
Dawgfan19
High School JV

This is all excellent commentary, but the problem is that much of these posts are based on logic and common sense. The most chilling of the reports I have seen today is that of former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. She dealt with Putin in the Bush era. But she has recently said he is very different, "seems erratic" and has an "ever-deepening, delusional rendering of history".

It very difficult to predict the action of a mad man.
Dawgfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 03:46 PM   #87
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yep. Especially loved the news early today where Putin accused Ukraine of wasting an opportunity for talks. Desperate to extract yourself from a no-win situation maybe?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 03:53 PM   #88
Dawgfan19
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Desperate to extract yourself from a no-win situation maybe?

Agreed. I just pray the desperate act does not involve pulling the nuke trigger.
Old 02-27-2022, 03:58 PM   #89
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan19 View Post
This is all excellent commentary, but the problem is that much of these posts are based on logic and common sense. The most chilling of the reports I have seen today is that of former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. She dealt with Putin in the Bush era. But she has recently said he is very different, "seems erratic" and has an "ever-deepening, delusional rendering of history".

It very difficult to predict the action of a mad man.

The Trump virus!
Old 02-27-2022, 04:27 PM   #90
Dawgfan19
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
The Trump virus!

As opposed to entering into political commentary, I really believe we need to pull together as a nation (and as a world) to confront evil. Riffs between the left and right only embolden pagan thugs like Putin.

What is really ironic is that Russia’s actions have done more to unite the world than any country or world organization has been able to accomplish in recent times. On one positive note, at least NATO and the world is reacting. For those of you who are familiar with WWII history, that did not occur when Hitler began his carnage until it was almost too late. On the downside, as I alluded to above, the bad guys have weapons of mass destruction this time.
Old 02-27-2022, 04:46 PM   #91
AlexB
Pro Starter

Fears 'paranoid' Putin has lost his mind as leader limits contact to inner circle - World News - Mirror Online

Quote:
During his evening programme tonight, Russian state TV presenter Dmitry Kiselyov delivered a monologue in which he posed the question: "why do we need a world if Russia's not in it?"

He was considering President Putin’s announcement today that he is putting Russia’s nuclear forces on high alert.

"In total our submarines are capable of launching over 500 nuclear warheads, which guarantees the destruction of the US and all Nato countries to boot," he said on his Vesti Nedeli show.

"That's according to the principle 'why do we need a world if Russia's not in it?'

"Russia's nuclear weapons are also delivered by the fastest strategic bombers in the world," he said, adding that "we won't even talk about our Strategic Rocket Forces".

"In total, Russia's nuclear capability is the most powerful in the world," he said.

Let’s hope the Star Wars schemes work I guess.

Edit to add - the first link is from a notorious red-top scaremongering publication with a dodgy historical interpretation of facts. For those who are not aware.

The second quote is from the BBC live Ukraine feed, which I trust not to make up outright lies

Last edited by AlexB : 02-27-2022 at 04:49 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:03 PM   #92
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
I think we could all use a bit of unity and less polarization on both sides. Seems to me the moderate voices have been thoroughly down out via social media and conventional media over the last decade or so. I long for a time when we can have an honest debate and discussion and not take things so personally again.

I don't think we have lacked as much unity over the years as it seems and times like this seem to remind us of that. We simply don't allow each other to speak anymore and try to work to together with anyone that has a differing view. While things have been polarized and challenging domestically over the last few years we have forgotten how fortunate we are as a nation and how important the US is in maintaining global stability.

I agree. Even bringing this up lately leads to a chorus of, "but they deserve it - they truly are evil." So many people are in hives where all they hear is how awful their perceived opponents have become.

I think it's obvious that the end result is a country where the state news codifies these allegations. Russians are told to believe that Ukraine is an actual threat to bring a reign of terror to their homes.

Our power is in our freedom to assemble and discuss whatever we want to discuss. If it's a ludicrous idea, then calmly, evidence is produced that it's a ludicrous idea. If it isn't, perhaps opinions change. Russians do not have that power. I think many of our leaders have been selfish and unpatriotic in allowing people to think it's OK to abdicate that power.

So Russian "news" hosts, personally angry because their milllion-dollar Italian villas were confiscated, are now arguing that Russia itself is threatened and the world is better off without people, including Russians.

There's no end game to that mindset. We can only hope it's a bluff, because we have to call it.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:08 PM   #93
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan19 View Post
As opposed to entering into political commentary, I really believe we need to pull together as a nation (and as a world) to confront evil. Riffs between the left and right only embolden pagan thugs like Putin.

One of the riffs between right and left is over Putin. One side has praised him and his allies. Has extensive financial ties to the country.

I know there is some major backtracking the past 48 hours, the two sides don't see eye to eye on whether Putin is an enemy or inspiration.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:11 PM   #94
RainMaker
General Manager

Saw someone set up a tracker for the oligarch's private jets. Should be interesting to see where some run off to in the next few weeks.

Russian Oligarchs Jets (@RUOligarchJets) | Twitter
Old 02-27-2022, 05:12 PM   #95
AlexB
Pro Starter

Small sample size, but to half-illustrate Jim’s point, a Bulgarian employee of my brother’s company believes RT’s news and says he Russian friends say Putin is ‘not that bad’…

I say half-illustrate as some people have no other news/reference points and you cannot blame people for beliefs based on limited information.

However, some people seem to voluntarily choose to believe something despite having the world at their fingertips. How you overcome that is difficult, but that does not mean we should not keep trying
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:18 PM   #96
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Saw someone set up a tracker for the oligarch's private jets. Should be interesting to see where some run off to in the next few weeks.

Russian Oligarchs Jets (@RUOligarchJets) | Twitter

I haven't checked in a day or so but previously a bunch of them were in Switzerland. A handful were also in other financial centers like New York and London

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-27-2022 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:35 PM   #97
RainMaker
General Manager

The guy who just landed in New Jersey was the dude who parked his yacht in front of the Statue of Liberty years back.

Rich oil tycoon pulls jackass move with his yacht
Old 02-27-2022, 05:50 PM   #98
Edward64
Head Coach

Kinda funny. Assume he's a Putin henchman.

Check out the dubbed video, about half-way down.

Prominent Putin propagandist rages on live TV about losing Italian villas because of sanctions | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Prominent Putin propagandist rages on live TV about losing his Italian villa - which is next to George Clooney's - because of sanctions over Russia's invasion of Ukraine
:
'I know from personal experience about the so-called "sacred property rights,"' Soloviev, 58, told the show's panel. ‘With every transaction, I was bringing paperwork demonstrating my official salary, income, I did it all.

'I bought it, paid crazy amount of taxes, I did everything,' he griped. 'And suddenly someone makes a decision that this journalist is now on the list of sanctions. And right away it affects your real estate. Wait a minute. But you told us that Europe has sacred property rights!'

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-27-2022 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:56 PM   #99
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Reuters
3h ago / 2:36 PM CST
Swiss President Ignazio Cassis said on Sunday that it was "very probable" that neutral Switzerland would follow the European Union (EU) on Monday in sanctioning Russia and freezing Russian assets in the Alpine country.
Cassis, interviewed on French-language Swiss public television, said that the seven-member Federal Council would meet on Monday and review recommendations by the departments of finance and economy.
Asked whether Switzerland — a major financial center and commodities trading hub — would follow the EU in freezing Russian assets, he said: "It is very probable that the government will decide to do so tomorrow, but I cannot anticipate decisions not yet taken."

I feel like this is a pretty big deal. When a neutral country is likely to freeze your assets, you're losing the PR war badly.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:09 PM   #100
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Small sample size, but to half-illustrate Jim’s point, a Bulgarian employee of my brother’s company believes RT’s news and says he Russian friends say Putin is ‘not that bad’…

I say half-illustrate as some people have no other news/reference points and you cannot blame people for beliefs based on limited information.

However, some people seem to voluntarily choose to believe something despite having the world at their fingertips. How you overcome that is difficult, but that does not mean we should not keep trying

I've seen a small handful of people in the US that are cheering on Russia and firmly believe Putin is fighting the deep state baby eaters in Ukraine.