Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-26-2005, 03:43 PM   #701
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Well, that just sucks. I'm waiting 30 minutes for the stupid thing to sim through the season, and it sims right through the hiring and recruiting process. So I'm supposed to sit there and wait forever for it to get through the bowl games and then stop it right before it begins the off-season just so I can have a realistic game? Well, this one is finished for me.
Advance to the season and click "Sim Season" on the weekly schedule screen. That will sim weeks 1 to 15. Once that is finished, you can click "Sim Postseason" and the full season will be complete. Then, all you need to do is click the "Advance" button on the main checklist screen to go to week one of the offseason.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:04 PM   #702
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Has anyone done much experimenting with the off-season training values? Like how much time is needed for each position. Also, has anyone determined the benefit for adaptability beyond position changes? Does adaptability make players more effective when they are playing out of position, like a backup OLB moving inside when a starter goes down? I’ve only played a few seasons so far and am still just guessing about most of this stuff, any observations from others would be appreciated.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:09 PM   #703
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyway when going to the recruit watch screen to have it default to sort by interest instead of overall rating? I really could care less who's the top talent as my first concern is who's interested in coming to my school. Everytime I go into the screen after a game, it defaults to talent instead of interest.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:18 PM   #704
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Anyway when going to the recruit watch screen to have it default to sort by interest instead of overall rating? I really could care less who's the top talent as my first concern is who's interested in coming to my school. Everytime I go into the screen after a game, it defaults to talent instead of interest.

From what I have seen, their interest never changes during the season.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:56 PM   #705
MrBug708
Head Coach

I just had a freshmen QB win the Heisman. We are going into the ACC championship game undefeated. About time too as I was slowly losing it....
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:56 PM   #706
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oh and Im in 2013 and I dont ever see any transfers
Old 12-26-2005, 06:59 PM   #707
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah

Does it even help to monitor this stuff? Or can you just check it once the recruiting starts?
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 07:52 PM   #708
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
Does it even help to monitor this stuff? Or can you just check it once the recruiting starts?

I never check it out. It always seems like the interest drastically changes once the offseason starts anyway.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:10 PM   #709
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
Advance to the season and click "Sim Season" on the weekly schedule screen. That will sim weeks 1 to 15. Once that is finished, you can click "Sim Postseason" and the full season will be complete. Then, all you need to do is click the "Advance" button on the main checklist screen to go to week one of the offseason.

what Arles said. And really...even if you had to sit there and wait...to put down a perfectly good game because of that...well I guess your time must be HUGELY valuable then. Damm.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:35 PM   #710
Easy Mac

ok....
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:53 PM   #711
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
what Arles said. And really...even if you had to sit there and wait...to put down a perfectly good game because of that...well I guess your time must be HUGELY valuable then. Damm.

You know, funny thing but it is. It is the most valuable thing any of us have. On top of that, I don't particularly like wasting it. There are plenty of enjoyable games on my computer I can be playing. I would like to include this one, but so far it hasn't gotten there. There is no way any game is worth sitting and watching it do nothing for 25-30 minutes to just stop it so you can play the game like it should have been set up in the first place. Even considering Arles' fix, I'm wondering if it is worth the 20 minutes of nothing time to get started. If this was Football Pro on a 286AT it would be one thing, but this is a text sim on a Pentium 4 3.0 HT with a gig of memory. There really is something not right about this game being so stinking slow.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:18 PM   #712
Arles
Grey Dog Software

To sim from week 1 to week 1 takes about 25 minutes on most systems (maybe less on yours).

In your case, to sim weeks 1-15 takes about 12 minutes. The postseason would take about 2 minutes and the advance to the offseason would take another 2 minutes. So, click sim regular season on the weekly schedule screen, go get a drink and a sandwich. Come back 10 minutes later and click "sim postseason". Open up FOFC and find a thread you like (about 2 minutes). Finally, click advance to go to the offseason and two minutes later you are right where you wanted to be. Click "Save" and you can continue to play or do something else.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:30 PM   #713
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Hmmmmm.. a sandwich. Perhaps that will dull the sting of another USC loss (in BBCF)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:11 AM   #714
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc

Well, it gives me an idea on whom I'm going to go after. I just think it should default to most interested on down, not how good the athlete is. Purely cosmetic and annoying.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:14 PM   #715
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Jesus fucking christ. On week 16 of recruiting I get stuck on a "Would you like to take teh following recruiting actions?" popup. It will highlight yes or no when I scroll over them, but neither button works. Can't click anywhere else on the screen. Any ideas, or did I just lose another 2 hours?

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 12-27-2005 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #716
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

So I was able to get rid of that window by right clicking BBCF in the task bar, minimizing it, then maximizing it. Of course, the first thing I do when I get it back up is save the game. Only it's been frozen on "Saving Game 0%" for 5 minutes now. Can't play the game through without worrying about it crashing and can't save without the same...

Old 12-27-2005, 08:33 PM   #717
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Ok, as a break from bitching, I'll offer something useful. It appears that for whatever reason the game just wasn't doing any operations when it was in the foreground. When I minimized it the first time, then popped it back up, the window was gone. For the save thing, it wouldn't minimize from the task bar, so I went into task manager and minimized it from there. When I popped it back up a few seconds later it was at 100% save, but wouldn't budge from there. Minimized again, popped up again, and the save game popup was gone and I could navigate the game again.

Old 12-27-2005, 08:40 PM   #718
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Might have been mentioned, but FGs need to be toned down, at least for my 1/4 rated kicker (using 1-20 scale) who makes a ton of FGs - some 40+ range.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:41 PM   #719
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I think I had a horrible kicker in the demo mode make a 59 yarder.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:42 PM   #720
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Agreed, far too many long kicks.

Old 12-27-2005, 08:47 PM   #721
Easy Mac

I mentioned the kicker thing about 5 or so pages back. Hadn't heard anything about toning it down.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:58 PM   #722
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
I mentioned the kicker thing about 5 or so pages back. Hadn't heard anything about toning it down.

I think Arlie knows about it... Louisana-Laf's kicker just nailed a 51 yarder - no friggin way.

..and does some if the AI's suggestions for depth charts seem goofy? I know we can do our own, but I've noticed the AI making some weird lineups.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:38 PM   #723
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I still think the kickers need to be fine-tuned (punters too)

Also, I'm wondering if it could possibly be changed so that the clear action button isn't required to add a pitch to the recruit. I just had to clear about 40 recruit's actions so I could add pitches to them.

I understand that it was probably designed that way so that people don't accidently add a pitch to a recruit, but maybe something else could be done?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:40 AM   #724
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, I'm late to the party (as is often the case). Just getting this fired up, after giving up fairly quickly on the beta demo.

Anyway -- I have started up a career with Kent State (fairly randomly selected lousy school in smallish conference). My initial expectations were to finish 7th of 7 teams, and my AD asked that we just "try not to embarass the program." That's what I'm looking for -- basically empty cupboard.

My first season, rather than get too deep into gameplanning and such, I just let my staff (and they are horrible, too) take everything over... and I basically QuikSimmed the entire first year. The result? An 8-4 regular season, a solid second place in our side of the MAC, a big win in a minor bowl game, and we end the season among the "others receiving votes" in the Top 25 polls. Wha???

So, I am into season two, after bumbling through a recruiting class not getting anyone of any serious significance, and our expectations are right back at the cellar. And so far, still without much input from me, we are off to a 5-1 start and actually look like a good team, with my top RB among the national leaders.

Is this happening to other people, too? Have I missed some setting somewhere that has my game set to "kindergarten" level? Is my team the beneficiary of some sort of in-game cheating to give me inflated results?

I'm looking for a project, where I need to do a lot of building to get to respectability. If we can go win bowl games with a roster full of stiffs, why bother actualy getting any good players?

(Incidentally, this follows an earlier career where I aw much the same thing in one QuikSim season with Navy, where that team went 8-3 and won a decent bowl game, after being picked to struggle also)

Sorry if this has been brought up already and resolved in the hundreds of preceding posts... I started to wade, but didn't see anything along these lines, really. I'll keep looking, and if I see this issue raised, I'll delete my post and just offer an echo instead.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:49 AM   #725
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
So, I'm late to the party (as is often the case). Just getting this fired up, after giving up fairly quickly on the beta demo.

Anyway -- I have started up a career with Kent State (fairly randomly selected lousy school in smallish conference). My initial expectations were to finish 7th of 7 teams, and my AD asked that we just "try not to embarass the program." That's what I'm looking for -- basically empty cupboard.

My first season, rather than get too deep into gameplanning and such, I just let my staff (and they are horrible, too) take everything over... and I basically QuikSimmed the entire first year. The result? An 8-4 regular season, a solid second place in our side of the MAC, a big win in a minor bowl game, and we end the season among the "others receiving votes" in the Top 25 polls. Wha???

So, I am into season two, after bumbling through a recruiting class not getting anyone of any serious significance, and our expectations are right back at the cellar. And so far, still without much input from me, we are off to a 5-1 start and actually look like a good team, with my top RB among the national leaders.

Is this happening to other people, too? Have I missed some setting somewhere that has my game set to "kindergarten" level? Is my team the beneficiary of some sort of in-game cheating to give me inflated results?

I'm looking for a project, where I need to do a lot of building to get to respectability. If we can go win bowl games with a roster full of stiffs, why bother actualy getting any good players?

(Incidentally, this follows an earlier career where I aw much the same thing in one QuikSim season with Navy, where that team went 8-3 and won a decent bowl game, after being picked to struggle also)

Sorry if this has been brought up already and resolved in the hundreds of preceding posts... I started to wade, but didn't see anything along these lines, really. I'll keep looking, and if I see this issue raised, I'll delete my post and just offer an echo instead.
I haven't seen this issue raised, but here's my take on it: initial starts have a tendency to be a little too random, and your "expectations" are based on Prestige, not your talent. I've done tons of gamestarts, and have noticed this at times, too. If you get a few good players in key positions, you'll have a season or two of playing above your Prestige level. However, the good news is that Prestige rises *much* more slowly than in TCY or even FBCB, meaning your first few recuit classes should be of pretty low caliber no matter what. Combine that with the very high potential for scout error that you'll have with your bad coaches, and I'd be very surprised if you're not in/near the cellar once you graduate a few key players.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:52 AM   #726
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
I haven't seen this issue raised, but here's my take on it: initial starts have a tendency to be a little too random, and your "expectations" are based on Prestige, not your talent. I've done tons of gamestarts, and have noticed this at times, too. If you get a few good players in key positions, you'll have a season or two of playing above your Prestige level. However, the good news is that Prestige rises *much* more slowly than in TCY or even FBCB, meaning your first few recuit classes should be of pretty low caliber no matter what. Combine that with the very high potential for scout error that you'll have with your bad coaches, and I'd be very surprised if you're not in/near the cellar once you graduate a few key players.

Thanks... exactly what I was hoping to hear.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:27 AM   #727
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:

My experience over 3-4 careers before shelving the latest version was similar to Quiksand and I attribute it to what I see as too much parity in the game. Perhaps the very top teams have considerably more talent (I never played a top team), but the starting talent difference between a borderline top 25 team and a bottom feeder is very little in every career I've started. Perhaps after 4-5 years this levels out due to recruiting, but I haven't had the patience to test it out.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:22 AM   #728
QuikSand
lolzcat

Regrettably, I am finding this thread to be very difficult to get much from... the first few pages all seem to be full of complaints that may or may not have been patched since then. It's tough going to try to get any insight into the game this way, really.

Maybe I should just try reading a couple of dynasty threads... this is really tedious.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:26 AM   #729
QuikSand
lolzcat

Incidentally, in my first two years at Kent State:

2005: projected to finish last, finished 2nd at 8-4, won bowl game
2006: projected to finish 5th, finished 2nd at 8-4, lost bowl game

...and in both seasons, I got low marks for "performance." In 2006, I was awarded a D for our effort that put this miserable team into the Top 35 nationally for the second straight year. Nice. Maybe they will fire me for doing such a lousy job.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:30 AM   #730
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Incidentally, in my first two years at Kent State:

2005: projected to finish last, finished 2nd at 8-4, won bowl game
2006: projected to finish 5th, finished 2nd at 8-4, lost bowl game

...and in both seasons, I got low marks for "performance." In 2006, I was awarded a D for our effort that put this miserable team into the Top 35 nationally for the second straight year. Nice. Maybe they will fire me for doing such a lousy job.
I'm not sure I like it, but the "Performance" grade is based on an absolute: only the national champ gets an A+, I think, and grades drop pretty quickly from there.

With regard to reading this thread, Quik, I'd check at GreyDog for when the 1.03 patch was released, and start reading at that point. A large number of posts up to then were bug-related.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:45 AM   #731
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
I'm not sure I like it, but the "Performance" grade is based on an absolute: only the national champ gets an A+, I think, and grades drop pretty quickly from there.

With regard to reading this thread, Quik, I'd check at GreyDog for when the 1.03 patch was released, and start reading at that point. A large number of posts up to then were bug-related.
Performance is absolute, as is recruiting and talent. The "board" and "prestige" grades are the ones to look at for grading on a scale.

The problem with some initial talent bases is the wide ranges in prestige for some of the conferences. A team like Buffalo or Akron is 15-20 points lower than a team like Bowling Green. So, if one of the better teams (Miami (OH), Kent, BG) get a decent initial roster, they will probably run away with the division for the first year or two. But, they will probably be playing schedule strengths in the 90+ range. Plus, given their initial prestige in the 35-40 range, their board expectations will be pretty low.

All that said, I am going to look at toning down the starting talent for the teams with prestige in the 30-45 range. There is a chance they could get a few 65-75 rated players that can really throw off the balance if they are in key spots. I should probably just remove that chance to keep these teams where they are expected to be.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:02 AM   #732
miked
College Starter

Yeah, I took RU to a win in the Insight Bowl over #13 USC and got a C for performance...even better, I just got a B for expectations...hilarious considering my board asked me not to finish last and get embarrassed by Syracuse (a ranked team that I beat). The grades make no sense, I hope they aren't actually used for anything.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:07 AM   #733
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Plus, given their initial prestige in the 35-40 range, their board expectations will be pretty low.
...and therein lies another issue that just hit me: expectations should be relative to conference strength, not absolute. Vandy's current 46 prestige in my career is well below most of the SEC, yet the board is talking about finishing around .500 in the conference. They should be "avoid finishing last in the SEC," or "win two conference games" or something more reasonable, considering they're by a good margin dead last in Prestige in their conference. I'm assuming that the .500 conference expectation for Vandy is based on their middle-of-the-road-OVERALL prestige. Similarly, the highest-prestige teams in weak conferences should be expected to compete for the conference championship.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:34 AM   #734
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I guess I'm glad I took Troy then, we stink.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:39 AM   #735
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

I guess that explains it, but it seems just absurd. Is there any circumstance where a team going 8-5 should get a D for performance?

I really don't care about such window dressing... but that doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:43 AM   #736
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think that if RL USC went 8-5, they'd probably get a D
Old 12-28-2005, 11:15 AM   #737
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I don't like all the NFL last names I keep seeing.

How many Wychecks or Sikahemas are playing collegiate football right now?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:16 AM   #738
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
I guess that explains it, but it seems just absurd. Is there any circumstance where a team going 8-5 should get a D for performance?
It's a combination of where you rank on the computer, media and coaches polls. It looks like the C is a little too tight and should be extended. But, falling in the 70-100 range should earn a D. I will probably tweak this though as there's a chance you could be a D if you in the 60s with a poor SOS.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:17 AM   #739
Arles
Grey Dog Software

From reading this thread, it seems that team expectations and the polls need to be looked at, as well as a tweak to the initial talent pool. All three of these are on my 1.1 list now.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:53 AM   #740
Tim Tellean
High School JV

could you add a ham and cheese on rye with grey poupon to the list for 1.1.
thanks
Tim Tellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:09 PM   #741
SFL Cat
College Starter

I noticed a big difference when you actually play a game as oppossed to sim a game. As FAU, I scheduled Florida for my first game...when I actually played the game the score was something like 48-0 midway through the third quarter. We played them tough for the first few series of the game, and the Owls moved the ball pretty well on our first drive (we ended up fumbling in Florida territory), but after that the Gators just started to dominate us and we simply couldn't hold on to the football (4 turnovers). I had to to go out before finishing the game, so I thought I saved it in progress. However, when I restarted, the game was back at the beginning of week 1, so this time I just simmed the game. Florida still won, but the score was something like 27-13...much closer.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:13 PM   #742
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
From reading this thread, it seems that team expectations and the polls need to be looked at, as well as a tweak to the initial talent pool. All three of these are on my 1.1 list now.

Hooray! My thoughts on the polls are well documented, so this is fantastic news. Still enjoying the daylights out of this game!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:29 PM   #743
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
A quick question......I've had 5 players transfer away so far....Each player was a freshman who redshirted, with skills ranging around 50 current, and 75 potential....These are all players i pegged as future stars, who were behind pretty talented vetarns. Im now afraid to redshirt any freshman with a nice potential for fear of a transfer. Meanwhile, Miami is recruiting QB's like crazy. They have last years #1 QB, and this year's number 2, and number 3. Last year's #1 redshirted, and was a 76/85......seems like he would be more likely to transfer. Are other people having this problem....I actually wouldnt call it a problem, more of an annoyance.

Im also having a difficult time getting anyone to transfer here....I have a huge recruiting budget, so i offer a few transfer's each year.....noone has any interest in coming to Notre Dame. Maybe that needs to be adjusted. My prestige is 74, so id assume thats pretty high. Great game

Revisiting this issue. I usually lose one RS freshman a year or so as a transfer. I haven't tracked it to see if it correlates to guys who had playing time as very important in their recruitment. Anyone else looked at this?

I like the transfer feature, but I wish there was a way for me to have a shot to convince my guy to stay.

I think the redshirt is a valuable tool in college football, but like Johnny, I might be getting trigger shy to use it, if it is going to frustrate my players.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:30 PM   #744
digamma
Torchbearer

Dola...

On the transfer bidding screen, it doesn't seem that I can sort by School to quickly monitor my players who are seeking transfers.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:51 PM   #745
SFL Cat
College Starter

Does anyone know off the top of their head what the number of transefers per year for a Div I program would be considered average?
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:53 PM   #746
MrBug708
Head Coach

2-5 probably, but none of them would be 5 star potential.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:01 PM   #747
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
2-5 probably, but none of them would be 5 star potential.

That might be a tad high...I'd put it in the 1-3 range, but I agree with Bug that there are too many high profile guys transferring. I'd say there are probably 10-20 high profile transfers a year in college football (maybe I'm underestimating), and in my current dynasty transfer list there are 50 guys at 4.0 potential or better looking to transfer.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #748
Bee
Pro Starter

I'm guessing the transfer rate in the game is probably low, but most of the guys who transfer are fringe guys going to smaller schools (often non DI schools). Believe me, it's an eye opener when you were a stud in high school and then go to a Div. I college and find out you ain't all that.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:30 PM   #749
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I'm guessing the transfer rate in the game is probably low, but most of the guys who transfer are fringe guys going to smaller schools (often non DI schools). Believe me, it's an eye opener when you were a stud in high school and then go to a Div. I college and find out you ain't all that.

I agree with you. There is a ton of attrition amongst college football recruiting classes, and you're exactly right that it is mostly fringe guys who realize they are going to be practice players for four years, or guys who can't make grades after a year or two. The Brock Berlin/Brent Schaeffer type transfers should be fairly less common.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:46 PM   #750
rjolley
College Starter

Very long thread here, so I'll just ask...is there a way to view emails while going to other screens? I remember seeing this mentioned and the way around it was to print the email to a file, but was this fixed in game?

If not, is it planned?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote