Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2020, 06:22 PM   #26501
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
It's a lot more complicated than this. The recommendation initially was don't wear masks before that changed. Initially they (i.e., the CDC) was initially saying much different things than they are now on the safety of schools for children, asymptomatic transmission, etc. Add in to that studies such as the 2015 New South Wales one which found cloth masks to be ineffective, or dissenting statements by relevant scientific experts such as this one , and some people see these shifts as being motivated by concerns outside the scientific sphere.

A global pandemic means uncertainty and shifting scientific consensus, but those realities also result in giving people who default to distrusting the official line concrete reasons to do so. There's a lot more than general anti-science, Flat Earth Society conspiracy-level thinking going on here.

Initially when? February? Yeah fine, Fauci said that mask-wearing wouldn't do anything then, back when there were like a dozen cases isolated in New York City. If you haven't taken in new information since then, I don't know what to tell you. "WEAR MASKS WHEN AROUND OTHERS" has pretty much been shouted from the rooftops.

If you want to ignore it (like Jon), fine - that's your prerogative. But do so at your own risk.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #26502
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
If you want to ignore it (like Jon), fine - that's your prerogative. But do so at your own risk.

And the risk of others. But hey, we're just sub-humans not worthy of respect or concern, NBD.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #26503
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well yeah, it's not really "fine" but I was I guess feeling charitable.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #26504
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don’t get the anti mask sentiment. In NJ probably 95/100 people have masks and it’s close to 100% indoors. That being said more than I would like are worn wrong but that’s to be expected. We have things Under pretty good control. Look are some other states where mask wearing is far less prevalent and they are out of control, but I’m sure it’s a coincidence.

Last edited by Lathum : 08-01-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:59 PM   #26505
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Well, there is one young, healthy athlete looking at permanent damage.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:52 PM   #26506
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Initially when? February? Yeah fine, Fauci said that mask-wearing wouldn't do anything then, back when there were like a dozen cases isolated in New York City. If you haven't taken in new information since then, I don't know what to tell you. "WEAR MASKS WHEN AROUND OTHERS" has pretty much been shouted from the rooftops.

I'll add that even though for months scientific experts talk about how wearing masks is to prevent your air particles for traveling as far as they could as opposed to protecting you from the virus itself (though it did provide small protection), people still talk about how the mask "won't protect you". No shit. That's not been the point for months. If people don't know that by now they aren't listening.

FWIW, Republican voters are starting to come around on requiring masks:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/07/republicans-masks-coronavirus-polls.html

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-01-2020 at 09:25 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:31 PM   #26507
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

It is anti mask sentiment like that which basically Keeps my family stuck at home due to my wife’s medical condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:17 AM   #26508
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
We may not have immunity to the virus, but we seem to be getting immunity to caring about Trump's mishandling of the virus.

betting on the impatience, entitlement, and selfishness of the American people has always seemed like a viable play... not sure they can ring the bells with it, but it's just sensible to align yourselves that way

sprinkle in a little bit of resentment and bigotry as needed, and you've got a legitimate recipe
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:13 PM   #26509
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'll add that even though for months scientific experts talk about how wearing masks is to prevent your air particles for traveling as far as they could as opposed to protecting you from the virus itself (though it did provide small protection), people still talk about how the mask "won't protect you". No shit. That's not been the point for months. If people don't know that by now they aren't listening.

FWIW, Republican voters are starting to come around on requiring masks:

Republicans are coming around on coronavirus mask mandates.

It's probably better to play off of that "small protection" that it gives to the mask-wearer vs trying to protect other people. I mean take Jon again as an example. I'd say he has maybe a little regard for his own well-being (though again, I'd wager not a ton). But whatever that little is, I'd also bet it's more than what he has for everyone else outside of maybe a half-dozen people.

I think the "protect others" argument just doesn't work for many. They just don't care.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #26510
molson
General Manager

I had to look back to confirm, but the difference in concern v. the Ebola outbreak a few years ago is pretty interesting. Back then it was conservatives who were most concerned, and most likely to hold the the opinion that that those who put themselves in harms way deserve what they got.

Why were anti-maskers so afraid of Ebola but so sure COVID is a hoax?

Last edited by molson : 08-02-2020 at 02:42 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #26511
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I had to look back to confirm, but the difference in concern v. the Ebola outbreak a few years ago is pretty interesting. Back then it was conservatives who were most concerned, and most likely to hold the the opinion that that those who put themselves in harms way deserve what they got.

Why were anti-maskers so afraid of Ebola but so sure COVID is a hoax?

Wasn't there something like 4 people with Ebola in the US?
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:13 PM   #26512
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Wasn't there something like 4 people with Ebola in the US?

Something like that, all medical workers.

And also we already knew everything about how Ebola spread. Which is, not very easily.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:50 PM   #26513
HerRealName
College Prospect

Maybe that Ebola mask concern was part of wanting to keep Ebola patients out of the US? I seem to remember that coming up as a bit of a political topic.

On the anti-maskers these days, I couldn't have been the only person that laughed at Jon's sheeple comment above. Blindly following right wing media and demon sperm experts is the sign of education and enlightenment in some circles. The anti-maskers that I know are also completely convinced that hydroxychloroquine is the magic cure for Covid. Trump just isn't able to put an end to this Democrat plot because of the media.

That Dilbert guy is a complete loon but he had a great point a few years ago about how Americans are watching two different movies rather than sharing the same reality. This is just another example. I just don't understand the right wing media's motivation. Wouldn't their electoral chances improve if the spread of the virus slowed substantially before the election?
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:38 PM   #26514
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
I just don't understand the right wing media's motivation. Wouldn't their electoral chances improve if the spread of the virus slowed substantially before the election?

It's a vicious cycle of promoting/cheering the Trump administration's position on the virus rather than risking pissing him or his followers off, turning to downplaying, doing a 180, excusing and blaming any and everyone else when things turn out not to be quite what they told us weeks and months ago. Trump has many faults, but by far his biggest is refusing to take any responsibility or admitting he is wrong, which would at least allow us to correct our path mid-nosedive. Instead, we're in a tailspin.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #26515
JPhillips
General Manager

Confirmation is for suckers.

Quote:
Pentagon statement: “Tata withdrew from consideration before the Senate Armed Services Committee his nomination to be the Undersecretary of Defense for Policy. He has been designated as the official Performing the Duties of the Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Policy”
Old 08-02-2020, 07:49 PM   #26516
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And they're just going to leave it vacant, right?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:04 AM   #26517
Ksyrup

On Fox News' website, it's hard to find any coverage of Covid. Right now, there's a video hit of Birx interviewed on F&F that is the 8th story down the page, just above a story about Ellen DeGeneres. On the right side of the page, there's a "Coronovirus Latest" column down the page with 5 stories, 3 of which are sports-related, 1 about a Bollywood star, and another about European mink farm outbreaks.

It's a good thing the virus outbreak is behind us!
Old 08-03-2020, 09:25 AM   #26518
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
It's a vicious cycle of promoting/cheering the Trump administration's position on the virus rather than risking pissing him or his followers off, turning to downplaying, doing a 180, excusing and blaming any and everyone else when things turn out not to be quite what they told us weeks and months ago. Trump has many faults, but by far his biggest is refusing to take any responsibility or admitting he is wrong, which would at least allow us to correct our path mid-nosedive. Instead, we're in a tailspin.

Trump could have easily played this in a way that helped the country and fit into his narrative. He could have said that this virus is coming, and it is dangerous, and it is all China's fault, and fuck China. But we are Americans, and we won't let this Chinese virus take us down, and we will all band together and sacrifice just like our grandparents and great-grandparents did in WWII, and we will beat this Chinese virus.

But, Trump couldn't do that. First, he is a snake oil salesman, so his line always has to be "everything is fine." The car won't break down. The roof doesn't leak. You can never admit to a problem, regardless of whether it is your fault.

Second, shared sacrifice goes against the "Only I can fix it" model that he projects. We are the change we have been waiting for is such an Obama idea. The last thing an authoritarian wants is the Bobs to call him in and ask "So what would you say it is you do here?"

Third, it really would have required major sacrifice and inconvenience to get ahead of the virus. And a lot of Trump's voters picked him because they were tired of sacrifice and inconvenience for themselves. The whole point was to make other people start sacrificing so Trump's voters could finally stop having to be so angry all the time (Side note: It didn't really work, though, did it? If anything, winning has made the MAGAs even angrier and more aggrieved (there's probably a dissertation to be written about that)). So telling people that they have to sacrifice cuts against his base.

tl;dr The Chinese nature of the virus gave Trump a way to address it consistent with his views, but addressing it cut against too many other aspects of his image.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #26519
JPhillips
General Manager

There are a lot of things a theoretical Trump could have done that would have helped both himself and the country, but the real Trump can't do any of those things.He's the scorpion on the frog's back, except he keeps stinging himself and blaming the frog.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #26520
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Third, it really would have required major sacrifice and inconvenience to get ahead of the virus. And a lot of Trump's voters picked him because they were tired of sacrifice and inconvenience for themselves. The whole point was to make other people start sacrificing so Trump's voters could finally stop having to be so angry all the time (Side note: It didn't really work, though, did it? If anything, winning has made the MAGAs even angrier and more aggrieved (there's probably a dissertation to be written about that)). So telling people that they have to sacrifice cuts against his base.

The ironic thing of course being those same folks like talking about sacrifices that others do (the troops, the cops, WW2, etc) and went after millennials because they don't want to sacrifice. Then the first time they were asked to sacrifice, they throw a fit.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:37 PM   #26521
JPhillips
General Manager

I can't believe we're still on this Hydroxy shit.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:18 PM   #26522
JPhillips
General Manager

Smel those free markets.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #26523
bronconick
College Starter

Medium Buying
@MediumBuying
The Trump campaign has placed a Fox News-only buy in DC cable zones. 8/3-8/16 flight, $38K total

Got to keep the toddler happy
bronconick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:32 PM   #26524
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
What makes this worse is I saw an estimate yesterday that roughly $21.5 billion in back rent is currently owed across the country and ApartmentList estimated 12 million people are in danger of being evicted if the $600 unemployment and hold on evictions ends.

Those people are just lazy and will now get jobs as I have been told by some people here. Anxiously awaiting the massive drop in the unemployment rate now that the subsidy is over.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:48 PM   #26525
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Those people are just lazy and will now get jobs as I have been told by some people here. Anxiously awaiting the massive drop in the unemployment rate now that the subsidy is over.

Yep

Yale study finds expanded jobless benefits did not reduce employment | YaleNews
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:52 PM   #26526
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The new talking point I'm seeing pushed on social media isn't that the jobs will be there when the stimulus goes away (because it will be apparent very soon that the jobs are not there).

It is that all of these people should have been saving their unemployment checks so that they would still have money to live on when the checks stopped.

So it will still be their fault. It is always their fault.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:57 PM   #26527
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Reminder: Not only did extra unemployment benefit end, but PPP 8-week periods expired for many employers. So far I’ve heard of two people I know who were laid off *today.* Pray for our country. This could get significantly worse in a hurry.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:33 PM   #26528
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The new talking point I'm seeing pushed on social media isn't that the jobs will be there when the stimulus goes away (because it will be apparent very soon that the jobs are not there).

It is that all of these people should have been saving their unemployment checks so that they would still have money to live on when the checks stopped.

Oh yeah. See that all over the place already.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:40 PM   #26529
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Is this wrong? When did saving money and fiscal responsibility become evil?
Old 08-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #26530
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

My cousin and her boyfriend lost their jobs at the start of all of this. They just returned home from a 2 week beach vacation yesterday. She was complaining to my dad that they didn't know what they were going to do now that the extra money has run out.

Lots of stupid people out there.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:57 PM   #26531
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Is this wrong? When did saving money and fiscal responsibility become evil?

No, it's not wrong. Just that most people aren't jumping around buying luxury items with their checks. It's just a useless stereotype like the "lazy unemployed worker" to try and defend a pathetic economic situation.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:01 PM   #26532
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
No, it's not wrong. Just that most people aren't jumping around buying luxury items with their checks. It's just a useless stereotype like the "lazy unemployed worker" to try and defend a pathetic economic situation.

And in fact plenty of them were using that full amount to live. People tend to forget that the folks who were laid off weren't just fast food employees who were only pulling down $20,000 a year. You don't get to the levels of unemployment (esp compared to the numbers pre-pandemic) we currently have just by those jobs disappearing.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-03-2020 at 04:02 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:17 PM   #26533
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
And in fact plenty of them were using that full amount to live. People tend to forget that the folks who were laid off weren't just fast food employees who were only pulling down $20,000 a year. You don't get to the levels of unemployment (esp compared to the numbers pre-pandemic) we currently have just by those jobs disappearing.

Whenever there is an economic downturn, the people who let it happen will look for a scapegoat. And that almost all the time is poorer people. Happened in 2008 and is happening again now. Sad thing is that it works.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:57 PM   #26534
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Smel those free markets.

I remember Bush did the same thing to Qwest. Party of free markets does not in fact like free markets.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:08 PM   #26535
Ksyrup

That's not even a free markets thing. That's just Trump doing what's natural - attempting to take advantage of perceived leverage. I'm just shocked he didn't come right out and say they had to pay it to him or his family.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:13 PM   #26536
RainMaker
General Manager

lol

Old 08-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #26537
JPhillips
General Manager

Remember the guy that said the 2016 election was like flight 93 and voting Clinton winning would lead to all of our deaths? Now he says the 2020 election has even higher stakes!
Old 08-03-2020, 07:26 PM   #26538
Thomkal
Head Coach

I cannot believe Falwell would put that photo online and think he wouldn't be attacked for it.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:30 PM   #26539
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Drunk.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:19 PM   #26540
JPhillips
General Manager

Trump is rigging the Census by cutting it short by a month.

It's amazing how everyone understands that the GOP can't win national majorities, but we just pretend everything is normal.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:24 PM   #26541
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That's not even a free markets thing. That's just Trump doing what's natural - attempting to take advantage of perceived leverage. I'm just shocked he didn't come right out and say they had to pay it to him or his family.

"It would be a real shame if something would happen to your teen dancing video thing."

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:41 AM   #26542
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

And let's not forget that the main reason governments pay out money like that is to make sure those folk still spend it. It's done to benefit "the economy" as much as the people getting it. If everybody saved it, it wouldn't serve it's purpose.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:21 AM   #26543
Ksyrup

I hope Trump continues to do interviews. He's the best ad for voting for Biden. His response to the question about John Lewis, immediately making it about himself - he didn't come to my inauguration, he didn't come to my SOTU speeches... it's just so on brand for a narcissist. And he keeps saying he's never met John Lewis and doesn't know much about him. How is that? You're effing President!
Old 08-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #26544
Ksyrup

Perfect!

Old 08-04-2020, 07:55 AM   #26545
JPhillips
General Manager

JFC

Old 08-04-2020, 08:06 AM   #26546
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

He's going to get re-elected lol.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:21 AM   #26547
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
And let's not forget that the main reason governments pay out money like that is to make sure those folk still spend it. It's done to benefit "the economy" as much as the people getting it. If everybody saved it, it wouldn't serve it's purpose.

If they spend the money, they are being irresponsible for not saving it.

If they save the money, they are being selfish for hording it when it is supposed to stimulate the economy.

The poor, by design, can never win these debates.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:28 AM   #26548
Ksyrup

Old 08-04-2020, 08:39 AM   #26549
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If they spend the money, they are being irresponsible for not saving it.

If they save the money, they are being selfish for hording it when it is supposed to stimulate the economy.

The poor, by design, can never win these debates.

If by winning you mean never being criticized by someone on the internet, then there are no winners, except Betty White.

But the poor can help themselves by following good financial advice.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:47 AM   #26550
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
If by winning you mean never being criticized by someone on the internet, then there are no winners, except Betty White.

But the poor can help themselves by following good financial advice.

Hmmm . . . the least criticized Mount Rushmore. . .

Fred Rogers
Betty White
Willie Nelson
Tom Hanks

Like, if you met someone who legitimately disliked any of those four, you would immediately judge that person, right?