Old 02-13-2020, 05:53 PM   #251
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Your mom's in my thoughts, cartman <3
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:14 PM   #252
JediKooter
Coordinator

Damn, sorry to hear this, Cartman. Hoping that it's nothing too serious.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #253
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Just went in for my yearly full body skin scan and everything looks good.

Thanks for the posts about my mom. She goes in for an endoscopy the first week in March. The device goes in her mouth, down the esophagus, into the stomach, into the intestines, and enters the pancreas that way. The device can also do a biopsy and scrape cells to be brought back out. Amazing technology.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #254
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
As a follow on, I'm planning to do a charity bicycle ride the first week of August.

Empire State Ride - A fully supported cycling adventure to end cancerEmpire State Ride

500 miles over 7 days. Which is a light weekend ride for Subby... Still trying to see if I can get everything to fall into place to do the ride.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:57 PM   #255
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
As a follow on, I'm planning to do a charity bicycle ride the first week of August.

Empire State Ride - A fully supported cycling adventure to end cancerEmpire State Ride

500 miles over 7 days. Which is a light weekend ride for Subby... Still trying to see if I can get everything to fall into place to do the ride.

Nice. My wife used to cycle a lot with my son but not so much anymore since he is at college.

She mentioned wanting to cycle across a state one of these days. It's too hard on my butt !!
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:23 AM   #256
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
sorry coffee

my friend Martin is in his second round of chemo and doing horribly

i can't even go see him cause it's way far away

welp

My buddy Martin passed away this morning.

He was in this hospice place since early december when his roommate called the ambulance. I heard from a friend that was visiting him and he rallied more people to visit him but aside from that I was really hearing nothing from anybody. I wondered what was happening. If he was getting better or worse. Or whatever. But I kind of expected this. Makes me really sad since I know he was depressed about it all last year.
Fly on Martin. Really chill dude. Asian movie afficionado and HOrror fan as well as a great writer esp D&D adventures.

Soar on
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:45 AM   #257
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
welp

My buddy Martin passed away this morning.

He was in this hospice place since early december when his roommate called the ambulance. I heard from a friend that was visiting him and he rallied more people to visit him but aside from that I was really hearing nothing from anybody. I wondered what was happening. If he was getting better or worse. Or whatever. But I kind of expected this. Makes me really sad since I know he was depressed about it all last year.
Fly on Martin. Really chill dude. Asian movie afficionado and HOrror fan as well as a great writer esp D&D adventures.

Soar on

Sorry to hear this, sending thoughts and prayers.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #258
Thomkal
Head Coach

So sorry to hear this CF. Cancer sucks!
Old 03-02-2020, 07:59 PM   #259
Radii
Head Coach

So sorry to hear that Just awful
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:24 PM   #260
tarcone
Coordinator

Sorry for your loss

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:55 AM   #261
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry CF
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #262
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So we've kinda been dealing with some shit here for a few weeks now. Going to be dealing with it for some time longer but I think maybe it's time I at least put it into the forum.

PLEASE - a few of you are part of my social media, please don't reference this on there. The information has been kept to a pretty narrow list and is NOT public, and Facebook/Twitter/et al isn't the place for that until/unless my wife says so.

Long story short, after a couple weeks of unusual pain with no obvious cause, my wife went to see her gynecologist. Diagnosed with an apparent fibroid tumor - she has decades of history with those, and multi-generational history on top of that. Unusual at her age (60) but not unheard of. Scheduled outpatient surgery to remove it two (?) weeks ago today I guess it was.

Once inside, they found more than they bargained on. In less than 24h we had the biopsy results: malignant, type unknown, extent of tumor(s) unclear.

Took about two weeks to get her transferred over to a gyno oncologist, with another round of pics and tests in the meantime. That meeting with the oncologist was this morning.

Things are still ... uncertain. The surgeon is hopeful that any spread has been minimal to this point, but wants further tests and MRI type stuff before being comfortable confident about that.

The range of options remains about what it was before today's visit: if no spread, a full hysterectomy and possible some followup light radiation should knock it out. If there's as yet unseen spread, then surgery probably comes off the table and the route becomes heavy radiation + chemo.

Today wasn't the best news ("oops, we made a mistake, you're fine" woulda been optimal) nor was it the worst news, no sense of doom & gloom from the surgeon either. For now, for another week or so I guess at least, we do what we've been doing: wait & worry.

It ain't our first rodeo as many of you may recall. She whipped lung cancer's ass over 15 years ago (this is unrelated), still has a chance to do it again.

We're ... coping? Collectively and individually. The reactions & emotions are the same as everybody else whose been through this, best I've got for anybody (me included) is "stick to 'what-is' as much as possible, and dodge 'what-if' as best you can". It's a rollercoaster, all the time, and nobody ever wants to ride it. Sometimes, you don't get that option. Apparently sometimes you even have to ride the bastard twice.

Mostly, she worries about this impacting Will. He's a fucking beast at dealing with shit well beyond his years and he's been nothing short of amazing through this. But I know it's hard, amidst post-grad planning & everything else, this. He predictably said he wasn't leaving for school, and she predictably (if you knew her) shut that shit down by making it clear she wouldn't see a doctor for a follow-up if he didn't continue as planned. And they're now planning a surgeon-approved flight to his likely destination between now & any surgery just to keep that moving forward.

For better or worse, FOFC has seen more of me than most places, and has seen more of me for a longer stretch consecutively than just about anywhere I'm seen these days. I suspect a few of you may have picked up that I might seem a bit ... off, more than usual ... I figured it was time I let you all know what's going on.

Fuck cancer. Every time.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:48 PM   #263
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Oh man, hoping for the best. Feel free to DM me on FB if you ever need to vent.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:51 PM   #264
JPhillips
General Manager

God bless and take care. I'll say a prayer.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #265
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Sorry to hear that, Jon. Praying everything goes ok.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:58 PM   #266
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Damn, Jon. You'll be in prayers tonight.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:01 PM   #267
PilotMan
Head Coach

Terrible news Jon. I hope that the answers come with positivity and that your wife can stay strong and healthy one more time. Fuck cancer.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:02 PM   #268
thesloppy
Pro Starter

So sorry, Jon.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:51 PM   #269
miami_fan
Coordinator

Wishing all the best for you and your family Jon.

Fuck Cancer!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:52 PM   #270
Kodos
Resident Alien

So sorry, Jon. Hoping for the best outcome, and will pray for her. I’m glad you feel like you can share with us.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:56 PM   #271
tarcone
Coordinator

Sorry to hear, Jon. In our prayers tonight.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:52 PM   #272
Thomkal
Head Coach

Man that's rough Jon. I'll be thinking of you and your family. Kudos to your wife for how she handled your son. I hope its the lesser of the two outcomes or turns out not as bad as they are thinking.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:54 PM   #273
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Damn Jon, sorry to hear.

We will be praying for you and your wife.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #274
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Prayers headed your way.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:24 PM   #275
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Prayers sent Jon
Old 06-04-2020, 07:40 PM   #276
Edward64
Head Coach

Very sorry to hear Jon. Best wishes to your wife and family.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:14 PM   #277
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My thanks to you all.

It'll sound crazy, and at the same time not crazy, but I'd felt kind of ... guilty almost ... keeping this to myself here.

I mean, y'all been around since before the kid was born. You've been through birth, the first cancer asskicking, me trying to survive coaching rec baseball. I been here so long that Delphi forums were still a thing for cryin' out loud.

I may be your least favorite crazy uncle (and y'aint all exactly my favorite nephews and nieces some days) ... but you've still been here long enough to deserve the truth.

In the likely absence of any updates on the topic for a bit, please assume that it's cause there just ain't anything to update. Hurry up and wait has been the norm thus far, and will likely be the norm for a while longer.

There's a sense of urgency to be sure -- the word aggressive was used more than once today, describing both the cancer behavior AND the treatment plans but it takes a while to move a large ship and Emory is one big ass ship.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:17 PM   #278
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
I'm really sorry to hear all of that, Jon, and I'm praying for your family.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:27 AM   #279
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

You've been added to my prayers Jon. I'm so sorry to hear this...
Old 06-05-2020, 06:59 AM   #280
bob
College Starter

Very sorry to hear this. I'll keep you both in my prayers.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:08 AM   #281
spleen1015
Coordinator

Best of luck to your wife!
Old 06-05-2020, 08:52 AM   #282
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just catching up dude. Wow, I remember the last bout. My thoughts are with you guys.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #283
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Jon, so sorry to hear this. Will be praying for you and your family.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #284
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

In my prayers, dude.
If we can help in anyway let me know...even if its just to vent.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:25 AM   #285
rjolley
College Starter

Sorry to hear that, Jon. Love and prayers to you and your wife.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #286
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not good with the relative terminology, but I suppose it might be useful for me to mention what's going on in this thread. My mother's second husband has had various serious and painful health conditions for years, starting with back/issues from being a mechanic most of his working life and progressing from there the knee/feet issues and so forth. He's been diagnosed with third-stage carcinoma which has spread widely in his lymph nodes, chemo is coming and I'm not sure what else.

I'm not particularly close to him myself, but at the same time he really didn't need any more health issues to deal with. For a long time now the situation has been one already where a reasonably pain-free life wasn't ever going to happen. So, in keeping with the sentiment of the thread, I fully agree that ...

Fuck Cancer.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:19 PM   #287
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Fuck Cancer.

Yeah, that.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:21 PM   #288
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just for a brief update I guess - really just timetable stuff for us atm, nothing medical/health exactly.

My wife's next set of tests are set for this Wednesday, and another this Friday.
She heads to Miami with the kid Sunday thru Tues (next week)
Then if the tests are deemed satisfactory, her surgery is scheduled for 6/23.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:10 AM   #289
path12
Coordinator

Welp, my turn I guess. Thyroid angiosarcoma, double shot of rare and aggressive.

Surgery sometime next week, then chemo/radiation in some order. At least Seattle is a good place to have something like this.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:26 AM   #290
JPhillips
General Manager

Damn. Take care and God bless. If there's anything we can do around here, let us know.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #291
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Welp, my turn I guess. Thyroid angiosarcoma, double shot of rare and aggressive.

Surgery sometime next week, then chemo/radiation in some order. At least Seattle is a good place to have something like this.

Oh man Path, so sorry to hear this! Hope you stay strong and beat this! Definitely will be thinking of you in the days ahead.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:04 AM   #292
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm so sorry to hear that, Path. I'll pray for you as well. I hate this thread.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:24 AM   #293
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Prayers for you Path
Old 06-12-2020, 10:44 AM   #294
chesapeake
College Starter

Very sorry to hear this, Path. Will you be going to Fred Hutch?
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #295
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I've been keeping this one to myself for awhile now.

My mom got diagnosed with pancreatic cancer about 1.5 months ago. She's in her first round of chemo right now, and is pretty miserable. The hope is the first round will shrink the tumor enough to surgically remove it, but we'll see.

So yeah, that's both my parents with different cancers now. Good times. My dad is actually taking this way harder than I am. It's strange times when I'm the sane one.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #296
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Path & CW, I'm sorry to hear the news. I've added you guys to my prayers...
Old 06-12-2020, 11:06 AM   #297
PilotMan
Head Coach

Wow, this thread never has good news. I am so sorry Path that you have to go through that. I really am.

CW, same to you. That both of your parents are struggling with this now is truly awful. Very sorry.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #298
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Fuck cancer, on behalf of both Path and CW.

I'm sorry to hear the news for both.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #299
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Here's my entry.

My oldest brother was recently diagnosed with Stage 3 colon cancer. He just had a port catheter installed and the game plan is for 6mo/12cycles of chemo treatment starting next week.

It's going to be tough for our family because he's the farthest of the siblings, living in Seattle, WA while the rest of us are in SoCal.

Prayers to Path, CW, Jon and the rest in this thread.

[Edit to add] Fuck Cancer.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 06-12-2020 at 11:51 AM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #300
miami_fan
Coordinator

Path, CW, ABC: I wish all of you the very best and I hope Path, ABC's brother and CW's mother all kick cancer in the balls.

Fuck Cancer!

EDIT: I had to add ABC to my post. and FUCK cancer again!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 06-12-2020 at 11:55 AM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote