Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #1051
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Blancanieves

A modern retelling of Snow White only this time there are six bullfighting dwarves, and Snow White is a matador. Yes, seriously. This is all told in a black and white silent film. The black and white color is matched in the cold harsh repeatedly gut punching telling of the tale. The dwarves offer nearly all of the lighthearted nature that the film offers. The music changes throughout the film and is essentially never ending as it offers the film its voice. I almost kind of wished there were moments where it would pause to help aid in its impact. There is one plot line that gets started but never really develops far even though it is rather easy to see where it will go. Those and maybe some other minor issues I'm forgetting aside, this is definitely an under the radar film that's worth a watch. The story is familiar, but this is far from Disney. The characters are well developed and acted. Dialog is minimally written in text as the music and actors tell the tale vastly without words. I would put it in the 8ish range. I might not be against giving it a low 9.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #1052
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Saw "Detachment" last night, from the director of American History X. Lots of big name stars in it, but it only grossed $760K in the states before being whisked off to Europe.

Absolutely loved it (though to say you "love" a movie like this is rough) - just a lot of harrowing experiences/relationships highlighting the toil of life.

Adrien Brody stars (and was great) as a substitute teacher in a Chicago school system. Great performances all around, and halfway through I checked to see how much time was left in the movie because I didn't want it to end.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #1053
tarcone
Coordinator

I just finished Iron Sky. This was a good movie.
Its about the Nazis, who fled the Earth after WW2 and set up a settlement on the dark side of the Moon, are discovered in 2018 by a USA moon landing.
Its a really fun movie.

Watch it.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #1054
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Netflix Business Documentaries To Watch Instantly - Business Insider
Old 02-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #1055
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just finished off the final season of Burn Notice.

Was a bit cinematic at the end (all that was missing was Bruce Willis providing a timely quip) but, hey, we love 'em so we want as many to pull through as possible.

On the whole I thought the final season was stronger than the 1-2 season's prior & had a couple of really strong episodes.

Hard to believe how long since we first met the characters, always kinda sad to me when a series ends.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:56 PM   #1056
stevew
Hall Of Famer

IIRC I stopped watching after he killed Strickland(I think that was the dudes name).
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:12 AM   #1057
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I highly recommend the documentary The Summit that is currently on Netflix - it tells the story of the expedition to K2 where 11 people died in 2008. I found it incredibly well put together and moving. It does have some scenes that were re-created later based on survivors accounts, pictures, and video, but I feel these add a lot to it even knowing they aren't "real."
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Last edited by Peregrine : 03-02-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #1058
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Been watching the UK original House of Cards - maybe not as compulsively watchable as the US version but still quite good. The second series is especially nice as you get to see quite a few scenes with Ian Richardson squaring off against Michael Kitchen in an acting battle royale.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #1059
lungs
Pro Rookie

Trailer Park Boys Seasons 8 and 9 Coming to Netflix this Fall

Pretty stoked for this.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #1060
JediKooter
Coordinator

Shameless plug for my friends and former coworkers: All 5 seasons plus 13 episodes of the un-aired 6th season of the Clone Wars, are now on Netflix as of today.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #1061
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Shameless plug for my friends and former coworkers: All 5 seasons plus 13 episodes of the un-aired 6th season of the Clone Wars, are now on Netflix as of today.

Might have to check this out. Never have.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #1062
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I highly recommend the documentary The Summit that is currently on Netflix - it tells the story of the expedition to K2 where 11 people died in 2008. I found it incredibly well put together and moving. It does have some scenes that were re-created later based on survivors accounts, pictures, and video, but I feel these add a lot to it even knowing they aren't "real."

I added it to my list. I was just reading about that story the other day.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #1063
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Might have to check this out. Never have.

I think the first two seasons are the weakest, but, it really gets into its own by the third season.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #1064
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Comcast Subscribers Can Now Watch “House Of Cards” Without Netflix | TechCrunch

Looks like Netflix is losing its exclusive aspect to its shows.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #1065
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure they are ok with it due to special treatment they'll get from Comcast in partnering up with them to deliver their service.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #1066
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Comcast Subscribers Can Now Watch “House Of Cards” Without Netflix | TechCrunch

Looks like Netflix is losing its exclusive aspect to its shows.

That's assuming anyone is dumb enough to sign up for Comcast services.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #1067
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
That's assuming anyone is dumb enough to sign up for Comcast services.

Yes, because no one lives in an area where Comcast is the only option.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #1068
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Yes, because no one lives in an area where Comcast is the only option.

Where would that be? Most areas are going to have satellite as a second option at a minimum.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #1069
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Where would that be? Most areas are going to have satellite as a second option at a minimum.

Satellite has pretty low data caps, making it almost useless for frequent streaming. Not to mention that satellite internet is one of the biggest users of throttling.

Last edited by cartman : 03-10-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #1070
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Satellite internet is a bad joke.

"Oh hai...it's raining too hard...my internet connection just dropped out."

Are you fucking kidding me? Is this the 21st century or not!?!?!?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-10-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #1071
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
And satellite has pretty low data caps, making it almost useless for frequent streaming.

Sounds like most people are SOL then. We have no less than three wired providers in most neighborhoods in KC.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #1072
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Sounds like most people are SOL then. We have no less than three wired providers in most neighborhoods in KC.

So are they SOL, dumb, or both?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #1073
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I see - so "I've got mine, so fuck everybody else" then?

Presumably nobody's surprised by that being your attitude.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #1074
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I see - so "I've got mine, so fuck everybody else" then?

Presumably nobody's surprised by that being your attitude.

I just find it tremendously hard to believe that somehow KC is the only one with multiple wired options for TV/Internet services. Granted, KC does have a huge boom right now with tech companies moving to the area, so that may be directly related.

Just as an example, nearly every KC home has a cable provider and Uverse as options. Some of them have a secondary cable option as well. Is that something that only the lawmakers allow in this area? Are most major metro areas not this way? How many services are offered in your area?

I know kcchief19 could add a lot to this discussion as well.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #1075
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

I've got two where I am (Comcast and RCN - basically run on Comcast's network to avoid a monopoly) but in Cambridge, MA it's Comcast or satellite and no real chance to get satellite unless you own.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #1076
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I just find it tremendously hard to believe that somehow KC is the only one with multiple wired options for TV/Internet services. Granted, KC does have a huge boom right now with tech companies moving to the area, so that may be directly related.

Just as an example, nearly every KC home has a cable provider and Uverse as options. Some of them have a secondary cable option as well. Is that something that only the lawmakers allow in this area? Are most major metro areas not this way? How many services are offered in your area?

I know kcchief19 could add a lot to this discussion as well.

In the Metro Detroit area we have three wired options: Comcast, Wow Cable and AT&T Uverse.

While probably more expensive (I haven't really done a cost comparison), I still think Comcast is the best option. I have looked at Wow and AT&T before, but I've never been all that happy with their channel line-ups and I doubt their service and internet speeds are any better than Comcast.

I have had Comcast for 8 years. I've never really had an issue. When there has been a disruption in service, which hasn't happened often, the folks I've talked to or came by the house were all very helpful and knowledgeable.

My brother, who lives in the same area, switched from Comcast to AT&T about a year ago or so. He switched by in less than a month.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #1077
cartman
Death Herald

Sorry, H_B. MBBF has deemed you and your brother stupid.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #1078
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think my area has Comcast and AT&T Uverse (though that is new). Comcast is, from what I've heard in comparison (I have Comcast internet), a far better option and it rarely goes down.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #1079
PilotMan
Head Coach

In NKY we have 1 wired option for TV, that being Time Warner. We have 2 wired options for internet, Time Warner and Cincinnati Bell. It's a fairly major market, but we are sorely lacking for quality options. So cost becomes a seller's market and we are stuck.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #1080
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
In the Metro Detroit area we have three wired options: Comcast, Wow Cable and AT&T Uverse.

While probably more expensive (I haven't really done a cost comparison), I still think Comcast is the best option. I have looked at Wow and AT&T before, but I've never been all that happy with their channel line-ups and I doubt their service and internet speeds are any better than Comcast.

I have had Comcast for 8 years. I've never really had an issue. When there has been a disruption in service, which hasn't happened often, the folks I've talked to or came by the house were all very helpful and knowledgeable.

My brother, who lives in the same area, switched from Comcast to AT&T about a year ago or so. He switched by in less than a month.

And I'd agree that it varies from place to place. But at least you have options there as I suspect most do.

I've used Comcast in three different locations. Two cities in the Midwest and one on the East Coast. They've all been horrible experiences.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #1081
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Sorry, H_B. MBBF has deemed you and your brother stupid.

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #1082
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And I'd agree that it varies from place to place. But at least you have options there as I suspect most do.

I've used Comcast in three different locations. Two cities in the Midwest and one on the East Coast. They've all been horrible experiences.

And yet your stance is still in favor of enabling them to inflict that horrible experience upon more people who don't have a viable alternative?

Hypocrisy thy name is MBBF
Old 03-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #1083
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
And yet your stance is still in favor of enabling them to inflict that horrible experience upon more people who don't have a viable alternative?

Hypocrisy thy name is MBBF

My stance is that choice is better and if you're in a place where that's not an option, you need to get on your politician's ass and ask why they continue to allow near-monopolies. If you need examples, feel free to point to KC and say, "How the hell can that city do so many things right in regards to providers and our city/state which is supposedly more progressive can't?!?!?!".

Rural situations are obviously a different beast, but there's some big metro areas that are stuck in the 1980s as far as provider options go.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-10-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #1084
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Where I live, my mom can't even get regular high speed internet. Her only option is satellite.

I am fortunate enough to live close enough to town to have access to our one cable internet provider, I am sure everyone has heard of them, Zito Media.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #1085
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
My stance is that choice is better and if you're in a place where that's not an option, you need to get on your politician's ass and ask why they continue to allow near-monopolies. If you need examples, feel free to point to KC and say, "How the hell can that city do so many things right in regards to providers and our city/state which is supposedly more progressive can't?!?!?!".

Rural situations are obviously a different beast, but there's some big metro areas that are stuck in the 1980s as far as provider options go.

For true coax cable, Kansas City still has a monopoly with Time Warner. AT&T and Google are setting up their own infrastructure, which is usually around $1,000 per household. That isn't a fast growth model, and the main reason why Verizon has put FIOS expansion on hold. Most locations have franchise agreements that limit the offerings to a single company.

Last edited by cartman : 03-10-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #1086
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My stance is that choice is better and if you're in a place where that's not an option, you need to get on your politician's ass and ask why they continue to allow near-monopolies.

Choice is much better, agreed.

Yeah, good luck with getting the politicians to go against the monopoly providers who line their pockets and reelection campaigns.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-10-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #1087
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
For true coax cable, Kansas City still has a monopoly with Time Warner. AT&T and Google are setting up their own infrastructure, which is usually around $1,000 per household. That isn't a fast growth model. Most locations have franchise agreements that limit the offerings to a single company.

I don't care how much they pay. I want options, plain and simple.

Google has laid out a basic plan on their blog for any communities interested in getting fiber in their area. The fantastic part is that they are creating infrastructure that allows other companies to run fiber in the same conduit should they choose to do so. They aren't just laying out infrastructure for their company. They're laying it out to allow competitors to quickly and cheaply enter the market using the same utility conduit.

Any location that limits it to a single company has the same ability to open it up.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #1088
Easy Mac

One internet option where I live, not counting satellite. Uverse stops about 2 miles from our house (even though the nicer neighborhoods are on my side) and have repeatedly said they don't plan to expand. I can't even get DSL.

We have unlimited data on our smartphones, but our home is literally at the edge of 4g coverage. So I'm lucky to get one bar in my house with 1/10 the speed of my cable modem . However, less than a mile away at the Target, I get 4 bars and almost double the speed of my cable modem. If I could get 4g at home, I'd just get a mifi and slip in my SIM card.

That being said, Rectify was recently added to Netflix. Definitely worth a watch.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #1089
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
That being said, Rectify was recently added to Netflix. Definitely worth a watch.

Yes. Yes, it is.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #1090
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Satellite internet is a legitimate competitor? That's some funny ass shit right there.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #1091
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Rectify was awesome.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #1092
RainMaker
General Manager

Do you guys all use wireless connections with Netflix? I'm wondering if I'll notice any difference if I hook my Roku up with a wired connection across the room.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #1093
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Do you guys all use wireless connections with Netflix? I'm wondering if I'll notice any difference if I hook my Roku up with a wired connection across the room.

It depends on how old your wireless router is (ie. which 802.11 spec you are using), how many other wireless devices you have active, and how much interference you have in the wireless frequency range you are using. But a general rule of thumb is that a wired connection is going to provide a higher sustained bit rate for streaming than a wireless connection.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #1094
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I made sure to plug my Roku into an ethernet wire. However, my Chromecast goes over wireless, and I don't really notice any slowdown (I do have an 802.11ac router though).
Old 03-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #1095
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Also, another season of Archer was added.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #1096
Logan
Head Coach

I stream Netflix through my Smart TV which is wired, since the connection is right there. We also stream it through a Sony Blu-ray player in the bedroom wirelessly...when it plays, the quality is just as good, but we've had issues with it freezing and repeatedly saying "Loading..." on screen.

I think that's an app issue, because I never have the same problem streaming Netflix over wireless on my phone from the same room. But I have no idea how to potentially fix those stock apps on a Blu-ray player, if anyone has an idea...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #1097
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I stream Netflix through my Smart TV which is wired, since the connection is right there. We also stream it through a Sony Blu-ray player in the bedroom wirelessly...when it plays, the quality is just as good, but we've had issues with it freezing and repeatedly saying "Loading..." on screen.

I think that's an app issue, because I never have the same problem streaming Netflix over wireless on my phone from the same room. But I have no idea how to potentially fix those stock apps on a Blu-ray player, if anyone has an idea...

Evidently Sony routes Netflix traffic from their devices to their data center first before sending it to Netflix.

Sony Netflix streaming, choppy by proxy? - Download Linux Free
Old 03-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #1098
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Evidently Sony routes Netflix traffic from their devices to their data center first before sending it to Netflix.

Sony Netflix streaming, choppy by proxy? - Download Linux Free

Yep that's exactly what happens. Fucking pricks. It didn't use to happen...maybe the past 6 months or so.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #1099
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That explains why my Google TV is so shitty to watch Netflix on.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:46 PM   #1100
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Saw "Detachment" last night, from the director of American History X. Lots of big name stars in it, but it only grossed $760K in the states before being whisked off to Europe.

Absolutely loved it (though to say you "love" a movie like this is rough) - just a lot of harrowing experiences/relationships highlighting the toil of life.

Adrien Brody stars (and was great) as a substitute teacher in a Chicago school system. Great performances all around, and halfway through I checked to see how much time was left in the movie because I didn't want it to end.

Watched this tonight on your review. In a word, it's "heavy." So much real life, so much emotion. Very artistic, philosophical and gritty. I was very surprised at the actors/actresses in it. Solid movie.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote