Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

2019-2020 NHL Thread (c'mon, it's almost December)

Kind of surprised that there had been no NHL thread to date. Lots of intriguing things going on thus far...

-The Leafs fire Mike Babcock
-Leon Draisaitl and Connor McDavid on pace for 150 points and the highest Art Ross total since Lemieux in 96-96. If they keep up this pace, one of them could record the highest ever Art Ross total by someone not named Gretzky or Lemieux.
-David Pastrnak on pace for 70+ goals
-Capitals defenceman John Carlson on pace for 120 points
-The Robert Bortuzzo cross-check on Viktor Arvidsson that someone only managed to get him a 4-game suspension

Many others. Discuss.

Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

-The Red Wings are in dead last place
-Bill Peters will soon be fired for throwing out racial slurs towards a black player he coached in juniors
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #3
britrock88
Pro Starter

H/t to Maple Leafs for the funniest piece of sports journalism I've read in a while.

Down Goes Brown: Attempting to answer a simple question about jersey numbers – The Athletic
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
molson
General Manager

Cancel the season and give the Cup to the Bruins already.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
H/t to Maple Leafs for the funniest piece of sports journalism I've read in a while.

Down Goes Brown: Attempting to answer a simple question about jersey numbers – The Athletic

Phenomenal!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I know it's not easy being a sports writer in these uncertain times given that, you know, there are no sports actually happening. That said, Down Goes Brown's latest piece in The Athletic feels a bit personal and mean-spirited.

“Oh right, the Red Wings exist.” Come on. Having to deal with more than my fair share of Nikolai Borschevsky's one moment of relevance, I'm getting this now?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-23-2020, 11:11 AM   #7
Atocep
Coordinator

Seattle's team is officially the Kraken.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:39 AM   #8
Butter
Coordinator

Not saying I hate it, but I already hate the number of "Release the Kraken" headlines I'm bound to see.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #9
Warhammer
Pro Starter

For intros before the game it’ll be great.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #10
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I like how the color scheme and nautical pieces of the logo complement the Mariners.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #11
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I like how the color scheme and nautical pieces of the logo complement the Mariners.

With the Mariners, Sounders, Seahawks, and Kraken all Seattle teams echo the water. Pretty good synergy.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:49 PM   #12
bob
College Starter

From a purely financial standpoint, doesn't that hurt merchandise sales? Why buy a new shirt when you already have a green one that says Seattle on it?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #13
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
From a purely financial standpoint, doesn't that hurt merchandise sales? Why buy a new shirt when you already have a green one that says Seattle on it?

They are all a little different. For one, Kraken jerseys are going to be long sleeve while none of the others are .

And if you are just getting merch to represent the city, you'll likely just get the NFL or MLB team anyways.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think it's going to feel dated in 20 years but I kindof like it now

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #15
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I love the name. Logo looks cool. Jersey and colours aren't the greatest, but I think they'll grow on me and overall are decent enough regardless. Pretty good 'launch' if you ask me.

Can't wait for the Jets to take on the Sea Monsters some day!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 07-24-2020, 08:20 AM   #16
bob
College Starter

Obligatory "Fuck Winnipeg"
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:50 AM   #17
britrock88
Pro Starter

Hockey in August?!? Loving it so far.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:02 PM   #18
cuervo72
Head Coach

The backdrop/"covering" on the seats is just...weird. Perhaps I just didn't give myself time to adjust to it, but watching the end of the PHI/BOS game it just felt claustrophobic. I dare say I actually prefer cardboard cutouts.

(How are we not at a point where we can just computer generate an entire crowd? Get EA in there or something.)
Old 08-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Get EA in there or something.)

They can all stand and sit in unision?
Old 08-02-2020, 08:07 PM   #20
bhlloy
Coordinator

This ending to the Blues - Avs game is one of the more insane things I’ve seen. Shame it’s “only” a seeding game and not a real game 1.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:07 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That's about as close as a goal can cut it.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:32 PM   #22
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

go avs!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:57 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The Arkells in the between period stuff?

Haven't sports fans suffered enough in 2020 already?
Old 08-02-2020, 09:26 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Weird to see an ad for Huawei
Old 08-04-2020, 07:50 AM   #25
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Hockey being back was fun for about 5 minutes on Saturday night, and then I watched Scheifele go down howling in pain and I was reminded how hard sports can punch you in the gut.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #26
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Hockey being back was fun for about 5 minutes on Saturday night, and then I watched Scheifele go down howling in pain and I was reminded how hard sports can punch you in the gut.

Right? I had just purchased NHL Live right before that and thought of seeking a refund at that moment. If there are hockey gods (and karma), if the Jets lose due to these injuries, hopefully they are rewarded with Alexis Lafrenière, particularly considering it was their original draft position that was the placeholder for the first overall pick.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:19 AM   #27
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Right? I had just purchased NHL Live right before that and thought of seeking a refund at that moment. If there are hockey gods (and karma), if the Jets lose due to these injuries, hopefully they are rewarded with Alexis Lafrenière, particularly considering it was their original draft position that was the placeholder for the first overall pick.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #28
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Hard to feel for a franchise that just a few seasons ago had a playoff streak of 25 years end, which included 4 Stanley Cups and two other finals appearances. I mean, Ottawa arguably has the bigger gripe not winding up with the first (or second) when one considers they also had San Jose's selection.

Also, with Yzerman running things, I'm confident that Detroit will turn things around soon. Honestly, I'm kind of surprised that they haven't hired Gerard Gallant yet to replace Blashill.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:05 PM   #29
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Lightning/Blue Jackets starting it off with a 4OT(at least) game... I was wondering how long they'd said between games, figured maybe 45, but they just they need at least 87!!! Maybe that's due to COVID protocols, but hockey locker rooms are a place I don't think Coronavirus is the biggest worry, even now.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:18 PM   #30
bhlloy
Coordinator

Going to be a lot of Bruins fans calling in sick to work tomorrow... also this is nuts in a game 1, when the players haven't really had the usual preparation and when there are already back to backs on the schedule. Part of me wonders if this was to go 6 or 7 whether they might have to call it at some point just in terms of player safety.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:19 PM   #31
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Heh, I just came to post the phrase #instantclassic
Old 08-11-2020, 07:38 PM   #32
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:58 PM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Bos-Car now pushed back to 11am wednesday
Old 08-11-2020, 08:28 PM   #34
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If TB had lost that game, they would have to be thinking what in the hell do they have to do to beat Columbus. Got swept by them in the 1st round last year.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:07 PM   #35
molson
General Manager

First game of any kind I sit down to watch since the pandemic started and it gets pushed to 9AM local time tomorrow.

Last edited by molson : 08-11-2020 at 11:08 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:59 PM   #36
The Jackal
Coordinator

.....go flyers
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:41 AM   #37
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Damn Blues looked good until the 3rd period.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:15 AM   #38
QuikSand
lolzcat

loving this thread title now btw
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #39
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Blues tie it up with 6 seconds left and then allow Bo Horvat a breakaway in OT to win the game.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #40
bhlloy
Coordinator

Rask opts out to be with family... Halak is a decent backup but you'd think that ends any chances of the Bruins being a serious contender, which is pretty wild as they came in to the bubble as the best team in the league and really haven't looked that good so far
Old 08-15-2020, 01:48 PM   #41
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Glad the Blues won the cup last year as they look lost in the bubble. It would be nice to win atleast one game in this setup
Old 08-16-2020, 07:01 PM   #42
Ksyrup

I have watched more hockey in the past week than I have watched since the strike. My daughter has become a huge fan overnight and it's all we've been watching.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-16-2020, 08:10 PM   #43
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Rask opts out to be with family... Halak is a decent backup but you'd think that ends any chances of the Bruins being a serious contender, which is pretty wild as they came in to the bubble as the best team in the league and really haven't looked that good so far

Yet the Bs skated the Canes off the ice yesterday!
Old 08-17-2020, 10:47 PM   #44
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Yet the Bs skated the Canes off the ice yesterday!
And then that 3rd period happened tonight... my god that McAvoy hit on Staal

They didn't even make him go back to the bench, just opened up the side door to the locker room tunnel while play was still going on!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:09 PM   #45
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Staal looks a little bit like Kenny Omega there, but on the wrong end of a V-Trigger
Old 08-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #46
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Blues getting their act together and Allen has taken the goalie position over from Binnington.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:30 AM   #47
britrock88
Pro Starter

That was quite a collapse indeed.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:25 PM   #48
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Goodnight Blues... I'm not even upset though. Last season was a dream come true.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:19 AM   #49
Ksyrup

FYI, the Stars/Avs game is on USA Network at 4pm, thanks to NBCSN airing the KY Oaks.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #50
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Stars make it to the Stanley Cup final for the first time in 20 years. The Bolts couldn't close out their series against the Islanders last night. Tampa Bay is up 3 games to 2.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote