Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
cougarfreak
College Starter

Computer Ram cheap?

I am thinking about upgrading my laptop to 8 gb of RAM from 4 gb. Man, I thought this stuff was cheaper the last time I bought it, does Newegg run sales from time to time? The RAM I need was over $160.

cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
Comey
College Starter

Newegg runs sales a lot. Also look at TigerDirect, Slickdeals, eBay, Amazon, etc.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Odd, I think going from 4 to 8 for me last I checked was like $40. IIRC, mine is DDR3 as well. I would look for sales like Comey suggested. I know I bought some PC parts at some lesser known place and was satisfied with what I got so you don't have to look that the usual spots. Hard drives are expensive compared to normal, but RAM should still be cheap.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
cougarfreak
College Starter

Yeah, I've checked them all, and they're all expensive. I'll guess I will hold off until I see a sale running.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Did you try www.crucial.com ?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
cougarfreak
College Starter

Yeah, I tried there too Mizzou. I forgot to mention, it's a laptop. I think those run more expensive, but $160 is too much at this point.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
mckerney
Coordinator

I'm guessing you need DDR2 memory from looking at prices? Since it's being phased out and has lower production that DDR3 I'm not sure how much luck you'll have waiting for a sale.

I don't think it being for a laptop is the issue. With DDR3 RAM you can do the upgrade your looking for under $50.

Last edited by mckerney : 04-06-2012 at 10:16 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
DanGarion
Coordinator

DD2 is never cheap nowadays only DD3.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
mckerney
Coordinator

The absolute cheapest I see for what you're looking for with DDR2 is $100, and that's with a very questionable brand and 667 Mhz.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I'm guessing you need DDR2 memory from looking at prices? Since it's being phased out and has lower production that DDR3 I'm not sure how much luck you'll have waiting for a sale.

I don't think it being for a laptop is the issue. With DDR3 RAM you can do the upgrade your looking for under $50.

Will this work with my laptop, going from DDR2 to DDR3? Any issues? I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. What's the difference?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Will this work with my laptop, going from DDR2 to DDR3? Any issues? I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. What's the difference?

No.

For a quick explanation, from Wikipedia:

DDR3 SDRAM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In computing, DDR3 SDRAM, an abbreviation for double data rate type three synchronous dynamic random access memory, is a modern kind of dynamic random access memory (DRAM) with a high bandwidth interface. It is one of several variants of DRAM and associated interface techniques used since the early 1970s. DDR3 SDRAM is neither forward nor backward compatible with any earlier type of random access memory (RAM) due to different signaling voltages, timings, and other factors.

They're different electrically and have different pin settings so you can't accidentally install one into a mobo that supports the other.

Last edited by mckerney : 04-06-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
No.

For a quick explanation, from Wikipedia:

DDR3 SDRAM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In computing, DDR3 SDRAM, an abbreviation for double data rate type three synchronous dynamic random access memory, is a modern kind of dynamic random access memory (DRAM) with a high bandwidth interface. It is one of several variants of DRAM and associated interface techniques used since the early 1970s. DDR3 SDRAM is neither forward nor backward compatible with any earlier type of random access memory (RAM) due to different signaling voltages, timings, and other factors.

Well shit. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Best chance might be somebody doing some sort of close out sale where they are just trying to dump DDR2s.